• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
I agree with you, but I still believe in the lesser of two evils. Four more years of trump or Joe Biden? Even if Biden is proven guilty, he is still the far better choice than trump. This country cannot take 4 more years of trump. It won't recover.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
This right here. 4 more years of Trump will hurt countless more people than Biden.

But voting isn't automatic. You have to go and do it. Physically. If it hurts you to know you're voting for someone who by the time hasn't credibly cleared their name, then why doesn't your own hurt matter? Just being told others are hurting?

Remember assault/rape survivors all have to go on journeys and not everyone is at the same stage on the road to recovery. Some might be able to vote Biden relatively "easy", others will be suffering.

I'm pretty sure being called "Trump voters" or just having it said "You're hurting others", probably isn't going to help much.

The Dems are the ones fielding the accused rapist, so the Dems are the ones who might need to accept some voter suppression could take place. It's up to them to potentially factor in that voter suppression in their campaign to beat Trump.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I feel that it started with Kobe Bryant's death. Any mention of him being a rapist caused a dogpile on that person when the dogpile used to be on a poster defending a rapist.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is it moral do do nothing and not vote in the name of morals and potentially let Trump continue to be president for 4 more years? I'm having a moral quandary.

That ultimately isn't up to us. I've never been the victim of sexual assault or rape... I'm certainly not going to talk down to survivors and tell them how to vote.

The most I'll do is respectfully make my case. Survivors have every right not to vote if they decide it's a bridge they can't cross.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
So, first I agree with you and thank you for making this thread. It should be called out.

I don't have much to contribute (other than keeping this on the front page). I think what some posters are missing though is that by calling sexual assault survivors anything from selfish to Trump supporters they're somewhat perpetuating the attitude from their assaulter. Don't like what happened? Everything's your fault.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Alright, let's have a talk with moderation about how we treat sexual assault victims - perhaps include people like me, a sexual assault survivor who to put it lightly is on a different part of the Path, in the conversation.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you put emphasis on the presidential vote and very little to no emphasis on the down ballot being as important if not more important, it causes people to go out only once every four years. By focusing more on the down ballot and its importance, it leads to a more likelihood of people getting the mindset of voting outside of that once every four years. We need to change the mindset of how people perceive voting.
Edit: My posts will be a distraction. Believe women, support sexual survivors. Vote or don't, as you need to.

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for this. The list of threads I visit gets shorter and shorter every day, and stuff like that is a big reason why.

Also to everyone who continues the trend of posting Biden vs Trump statements in this thread: this is part of the problem. Threads about assault that name drop an alleged predator who happens to be running for office shouldn't have your political takes in them. It's hard to believe you sympathize with survivors when the next thing you say is "but Trump is a problem". That's not what these threads are about and you know it.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I get that, but it still ignores the basic issue. We are going to have a rapist as President, this election, no matter how anyone votes. I also have asked in the previous thread which is the lesser of two evils and I understand that the OP and others don't agree that Biden is the lesser. I can't agree with that point of view but I respect it. I also respect the idea of not voting for either, though so far I can't be convinced to agree either. I would love to be, but I can't see it.

I'm not trying to minimize the pain of sexual assault survivors, I just don't see how downballot voting does anything but ignore the reality of the fucked up situation. You're still going to have Trump as president. I'm going to downballot vote, yes that issomething that needs more focus...but its besides the issue.

"You're still going to have Trump", okay, "You're still going to have been raped".

Voting for Biden in the pursuit of a Democrat 4 year term doesn't mean you now weren't raped. PTSD is a thing. As is general anxiety, depression and other mental health concerns. I just said to a poster above, it takes you to go and vote for Biden. You need to tick that box. Just because you're a registered Democrat doesn't mean they get a +1 vote come election.

If we're going to take mental health seriously and not make a mockery of those who might have PTSD or feel very uncomfortable around anything to do with rape, whether it be talking about it, or voting for someone who supposedly raped a woman, then it cannot just be treated as "Yo, get dressed, its voting day, jog down to that polling station and slap the cross next to big Joe!".

As I've said a few times now, it's the Dems fault they're fielding an accused rapist and it's Joe Biden's own fault if he has assaulted anyone. If they cannot credibly clear it up or defend Joe, then that is their fault.

And if we're talking about suppression from a rape allegation being held up for why Biden didn't beat Trump this year, then Christ, what planet are we even on anymore. I don't want to see that conversation happening come November/December. If the Dems field and continue to support a candidate accused of rape, as I said above, then it's the Dems who need to campaign accordingly knowing they might lose some votes and how they can manage that in their pursuit of beating Trump.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"You're still going to have Trump", okay, "You're still going to have been raped".

Voting for Biden doesn't mean you now weren't raped. PTSD is a thing. As is general anxiety, depression and other mental health concerns. I just said to a poster above, it takes you to go and vote for Biden. You need to tick that box. Just because you're a registered Democrat doesn't mean they get a +1 vote come election.

If we're going to take mental health seriously and not make a mockery of those who might have PTSD or feel very uncomfortable around anything to do with rape, whether it be talking about it, or voting for someone who supposedly raped a woman, then it cannot just be treated as "Yo, get dressed, its voting day, jog down to that polling station and slap the cross next to big Joe!".

As I've said a few times now, it's the Dems fault their fielding an accused rapist and it's Joe Biden's own fault if he has assaulted anyone.
I'm not saying it would be easy, and absolutely yes its no ones fault but Biden and the DNC. I'm going to bow out now. I don't want it to be read that I am trying to pressure or guilt anyone. I am trying to understand. I definitely respect that it's a terrible situation to be in and no one who decides not to vote is making an easy decision either.

Edit: My posts will be a distraction. Believe women, support sexual survivors. Vote or don't, as you need to.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im in team "Everyone but Trump" but shaming people to vote in this situation its just a different power dynamic with the same outcome: Forcing someone to do something they dont want. Its revolting and even tho I know there is a shitload of blindspots in terms of moderation I hope they can fix this one.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am not from the USA, but I would not vote for a rapist no matter what.
Now you have to decide between two rapist... What the hell?
Before telling people whatever about their reservations about biden pls think the message you are sending when electing a rapist...

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
I'm not saying it would be easy, and absolutely yes its no ones fault but Biden and the DNC. I'm going to bow out now. I don't want it to be read that I am trying to pressure or guilt anyone. I am trying to understand. I definitely respect that it's a terrible situation to be in and no one who decides not to vote is making an easy decision either.

You'll probably find most people will vote Blue no matter what, but how they get to that position is up to them. If they get to it. And if they don't there can be reasons for that.

It will 100% be up to the Democrats to find a way to mitigate any voter suppression from this, because it's their fault. Even now not really addressing it head on will be seen by people to be suspicious and/or not taking the woman who is speaking out seriously. If this voting bloc of sexual assault survivors is the end all and be all of Biden somehow beating Trump, then maybe it's on the Democrats to take it more seriously???

People can't state to be concerned/angry about the survivors questioning Biden, yet not angry at the Democrats for their radio silence. You can't have it that way. If you are unhappy to see people struggling to vote for Biden, then you should be unhappy at the Democrats/Bidens handling of this.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
"We need to throw away our morals to beat Trump. It's all about my team winning no matter the cost!"
Fucking hell.

This isn't sports and it shouldn't be treated as such. There are millions of lives in the crossfire of this shit show. Saying that it boils down to someone's team winning is disgusting.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
We came to this site after sexual assault information came out about the old site, so you'd figure people would be better about this.

They haven't been. It's disgusting to see people here take the mask off and show just how much they care about sexual assault once it is inconvenient to do so.

I like to think this site has been really good about moderating the assholes but it sucks to hear some of you think it's still this bad. I'm assuming it's a lot of newer accounts that have joined the site that are the ones being so problematic, but I don't know the extent of the old accounts that are showing their face either.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Posts like those make me wonder if people actually dislike Donald Trump, or if they just use his existence as a convenient scapegoat they can always point to in order to excuse their own shortcomings.

I think the latter is very true for a number of people in power. We keep voting for the lesser of two evils but the evils all seem to keep getting bigger and bigger each time around. Now, even before we get into the issues that this thread is actually about, we're supposed to find the segregationist VP whose administration did war crimes an appealing choice because he's not, like, openly fascist. It becomes harder to actually establish a baseline of unacceptable behavior from those in power because we are so focused on reducing the harm of the game of brinksmanship we're forced into.

This is, again, before we get into the fact that trying to threaten victims of sexual violence into voting for a perpetrator of such is not harm reduction

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If it was someone other than a Presidential candidate, there would be no room whatsoever for supporting a rapist. None. It sucks we are in this situation where a rapist can be advocated for under the defense of mitigating harm, but I don't know what the answer is because there are also a lot of people whose safety is at risk due to Trump who need to be considered too. It's just a shitty situation all around. I guess the line could be drawn at gleeful advocacy versus a hard pill to swallow.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this forum will learn the truth spoken in this thread when the country as a whole still hasn't learned. We didn't in the 90s with Anita, so why should I expect anything different? Hell, there are still articles being written calling her a liar.

For myself, however, I can't justify staying home and not voting. I've got friends and family who are essential workers busting their asses off and are affected by some of the things trump is doing. As much as I hate it, I have to vote for that bastard.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just say what you want to say and don't be coy.
Could say the same about this thread title, but sure: that anyone claiming there's been a media coverup of the most recent allegation prompting this thread should be moderated under the conspiracy theory rule, given that there's clearly a different journalistic standard between publications and forum posters (and given this own forum's abject failure to reflect from the cases of Depp/Heard and Smollett regarding branding before any allegations have actually been investigated).

And if this nabs me a ban for "minimizing sexual assault" y'all have really lost the damn plot.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've seen a lot of people lack empathy for sexual assault victims in Biden threads. I will vote for Biden but I don't have anything against people who won't because of his sexual assault accusations. Then you've got people like this telling others to grow up if they don't like Biden, which totally dismisses sexual assault victims from having the right to not vote for someone that aligns with their trauma. https://www.resetera.com/threads/be...residential-race.181037/page-49#post-30837809

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The turning of a blind eye to MJ for years in spite of it being completely obvious has also been troublesome.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
All of this. I have always hated how people want to shame or guilt people into voting for their candidate. People often vote for personal reasons that are different from other people's reasons and they should be free to vote who they want to instead of being bullied into voting to fit your needs.
I think it's fine to argue about reasons and even be mad over some incredibly dumb reasoning, but stuff like this is really crossing the line. For a fair number of Democrats, "both sides" is pretty appropriate here.

Even on the off chance that she's one of those very rare people who make false accusations, and is an excellent actor on top of that, she was still given the Christine Blasey Ford treatment. The arguments I've seen have been disgusting, and completely without merit.

Every once in awhile we might be wrong on one of these things, but the accusation still deserves to be taken seriously. I don't know 100% that Biden is in fact a rapist, but just like Trump's accusers, just like Kavanaugh's accusers, she deserves to be taken seriously, and serious attempts should be made to coroberate and find more evidence. Hell, if he raped her, there could be more victims! If false, there's a decent chance some real evidence of fabrication would come to light.

I know I've had some blind spots on issues or individuals myself, but we can't say, "Believe women, unless she's accusing Joe Biden". That's not how it works.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could say the same about this thread title, but sure: that anyone claiming there's been a media coverup of the most recent allegation prompting this thread should be moderated under the conspiracy theory rule, given that there's clearly a different journalistic standard between publications and forum posters (and given this own forum's abject failure to reflect from the cases of Depp/Heard and Smollett regarding branding before any allegations have actually been investigated).

So
In other words
She's lying

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

And if this nabs me a ban for "minimizing sexual assault" y'all have really lost the damn plot.

holy shit stop

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did I ever say that there was a media cover up in the OP or title? This thread is about the lack of respect towards victims of sexual assault. A victim of sexual assault being told that they are worse than Trump because they don't want to vote for a rapist has no bearing on the veracity of the accusation of Joe Biden. Being gaslight and mocked for personal trauma was done independent of Biden's innocence or guilt.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

This thread isn't even about that. It's about treating sexual assault victims with respect and not talking down to them.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

What are you even talking about? How does this even relate to the thread?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's disgusting but unfortunately unsurprising. People not thinking for a second what ignoring or dismissing something like this actually says, and that's the ones who don't say shit outright.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility, inflammatory accusations against another member. Long history of infractions for hostility.
The ones viewing everything short of prefacing all Biden-related posts with "Joe Biden is confirmed to be a rapist" as minimizing sexual assault given what those other 7 women have actually said.

Congrats on shitting up this thread with your rape apologia you turd.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
What are you even talking about? How does this even relate to the thread?
The last page and a goddamn half of this thread have related to this allegation, how are you going to pretend it's unrelated?

Congrats on shitting up this thread with your rape apologia you turd.
Congrats on telling someone who was coerced into sex for a month that waiting for further corroboration to dub someone a rapist is "rape apologia", I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.