• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
who knows how much they actually have expanded on the original re 2 with this remake. there might be more than we think

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
It would not be a "much more expensive project" because it has some more varied areas than RE2. I promise, that's not how this stuff works.

Yes it does.

Raw asset volume will be much greater. More assets = more work need to create them-> more time and money involved.

Unless they scale it down and streamline it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this thread. The design work for RE2make would be re-used with RE3make. How would it not be quicker and easier lol. Sure you have to create new assets and scenarios, but the engine/design work would be re-applied. If anything they've probably been working on RE3make concurrently.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RE3 was bigger than RE2? News to me. I thought in terms of environment size they were roughly on par but seeing as RE3 had none of the branching and extended elements of RE2 I always thought it was a much smaller game overall.

RE1 and 2 were iconic landmarks that Capcom made crazy bank out of, RE3 sold about HALF of RE2. At least Veronica has a much better fan reception.

Veronica sold worse than Nemesis.

Other than the desire for doing things in order (which is more of a fan thing than a dev thing) theres little monetary incentive for Capcom to do it, how many RE fans can even name the 2nd playable character in RE3?

More than could name the other playable character in Code Veronica (the one that wasn't Chris or Claire).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yes it does.

Raw asset volume will be much greater. More assets = more work need to create them-> more time and money involved.

Unless they scale it down and streamline it.

They would still be reusing assets from RE2. They also would not be spending time/money on developing how the game actually plays and testing out different gameplay models.

We already know that REmake 3 has been in development for months. I'm not going to argue if it's a little less or a little more expensive than REmake 2 but you said it would cost "much more" to develop. That's wrong.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And the cover + logo is ugly as sin :D looks like a snowboarding game or something
psx_revil3_screenshot.jpg
UK box art was much better with a few tweaks.
51OOA-4mK4L._SX342_.jpg

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
who knows how much they actually have expanded on the original re 2 with this remake. there might be more than we think
This, I've always gotten the impression there's more going on here than we expect. That being said, I'd LOVE if they did remake 3. As a kid I always liked it even more than 2.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE1 and 2 were iconic landmarks that Capcom made crazy bank out of, RE3 sold about HALF of RE2. At least Veronica has a much better fan reception.

Other than the desire for doing things in order (which is more of a fan thing than a dev thing) theres little monetary incentive for Capcom to do it, how many RE fans can even name the 2nd playable character in RE3?

It sold about 70% despite being end of gen game with much more competition in the genre including Capcom's own Dino Crisis. And CV has never had a better (or in many cases even good) reception from fans since it does nearly everything worse than RE1-3 and visually has aged the worse too.

RE3 is extremely popular with fans and Capcom alike as many RE cameos in other games are RE3 based.

I think you have this very wrong.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I wonder how it gonna translate the nemesis chasing gameplay. It works in the original because you can see both Jill and nemesis, but it wont be the case for tps camera. It will be akward to see a one sided camera focusing only on jill and suddenly she gets attacked by nemesis from behind

Seems like Mr. X in the new one might give an indication. It did feel really weird not to have quick turn in the REmake2 demo.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It's dumb to think it wouldn't be easier, they've literally already created locations that are used in the game, it's not that complicated of a concept. Just because it would be easier doesn't mean it would be half-assed in any way. With RE2 they had to both reinvent the gameplay and reestablish a new tone for the series going forward, they wouldn't have to do that again for 3.

There's not much logic in this OP to be honest, I love RE3 myself but even the original games development was obviously made easier by having RE2 already created, hell it only took them a damn year. RE1:1996: RE2:1998 RE3: 1999

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I wonder how it gonna translate the nemesis chasing gameplay. It works in the original because you can see both Jill and nemesis, but it wont be the case for tps camera. It will be akward to see a one sided camera focusing only on jill and suddenly she gets attacked by nemesis from behind

You couldn't always see Nemesis, he does appear offscreen at times and shoots Rockets at you off camera. With camera rotation I don't see any of this as a problem. Ustanak in 6 wasn't a problem in this area either.

Europe and Japan have always had the upper hand :D

Haha exactly we stay winning.
870950-resident_evil_4_box_pal.jpg

Vs
51GXYSKK0GL._AC_SX430_.jpg

Complete with the lie in the top left.

Wonder if they keep the tube top.

They kept it in Remake's alternate costumes and made Claire's retro outfit show more skin than the original, I don't think they'd have a problem not keeping it. Though I feel they may not.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Nemesis is a weird proof of concept game that was ahead of its time.

I think a Remake of this is possible but not super likely, they would have to really tinker with the concept of being chased by an unkillable boss in a real time 3D space. Games have done it for segments but ... a whole game? Obviously RE3 did it, but not to its full potential.

I could see them skipping directly to Code: Veronica.
They'll go right to RE4 lol.

I think it's bound to happen if 2 does well, and they will use the established successful tech and design work from 2 as the basis for 3. It would be like an iterative sequel, in much the way that 3 was from 2 originally. They won't have to reinvent the wheel.

More curious to me would be what direction they go in after that. maybe just a new Resident Evil in that style that pulled elements from Code Veronica and/or Zero? I think an actual remake of 4 would be interesting, but obviously a massively different development undertaking than remakes of the PS1 games.
They should skip it and REmake RE4 without those terrible controls.
REmake 3 is already in development.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not much logic in this OP to be honest, I love RE3 myself but even the original games development was obviously made easier by having RE2 already created, hell it only took them a damn year. RE1:1996: RE2:1998 RE3: 1999

RE1.5 was almost complete a year after RE1, that was scrapped and RE2 done within a year. RE3 being a year after RE2 (actually 18-22 months depending on region) doesn't mean much. Dev time was pretty even all round.

Oct 26, 2017
I used to say that until I looked at the trailers and thought about it, there's so much city been redesigned for this game, and considering the rumours that they are already in full production on RE:3, they probably planned ahead for that. Your average street scene in RE:3 can be cobbled together with the 1000s of assets they've made for Raccoon City, which can't really be said for the weird locations in CV or RE4.
6.jpg

Last edited:

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I personally would hope they do change the tube top. It never made sense to me that Jill would willingly wear that shit into a zombie apocalypse, she's a damn swat team member essentially, and the beginning of the game shows that she's in her apartment preparing to go into the zombie apocalypse, it's not like she was out on a date when the outbreak started or something.

Sure keep it as an unlock, but I really, really can't see them keeping that look with the new tone of RE2's remake, she needs to be in something more practical.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Cool. I'm not opposed to it or anything, just thinking that maybe they would stick to the bigger titles

RE3 is a big title.

I personally would hope they do change the tube top. It never made sense to me that Jill would willingly wear that shit into a zombie apocalypse, she's a damn swat team member essentially, and the beginning of the game shows that she's in her apartment preparing to go into the zombie apocalypse, it's not like she was out on a date when the outbreak started or something.

Sure keep it as an unlock, but I really, really can't see them keeping that look with the new tone of RE2's remake, she needs to be in something more practical.

They will change it for sure. Probably keep the colors and that's about it. The classic should be an unlockable though.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If anything it's harder because a redesigned Racoon City is probably gonna be semi open world to feel believable.

Nah, they can still make it like the original game and barricade and cut streets with debris and falling buildings. They can build something like RE4 regarding it's environments.

Personally i can't wait to see what they can cook up with 3. Starting with the Jill Valentine character design, the mercenary subplot and Nemesis.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue with RE3make is that there is so much to fix.

Resident Evil 2 was a landmark game in the series, it had everything that felt like a definite improvement over 1. RE3 doesn't have any of this praise related to this game. RE3 wouldn't stand as a game today, not because it's recycled, but because it doesn't have an identity to the same level as RE2 did. It's not a recycled game, but it still feels very much 2.5, without the genius of RE2.

RE2 was actually several steps backwards from RE1. The puzzles in RE2 barely exist and can barely be called puzzles, it almost entirely fetch quests. The branching story paths of RE1 are removed and replaced with A/B scenarios that never change. There are no alternate endings either.

RE3 meanwhile has the best puzzles in the series, even today. They also change each playthrough so need to be re-solved. Branching paths return and are even more varied than RE1 was by far. Each playthrough can produced different experiences with enemies in different locations, bosses and Nemesis encounters changing location or type and a huge amount of hidden or alternative scenes and like RE1, alternative endings. Not to mention everything else RE3 brought into the series.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
RE3 meanwhile has the best puzzles in the series, even today. They also change each playthrough so need to be re-solved. Branching paths return and are even more varied than RE1 was by far. Each playthrough can produced different experiences with enemies in different locations, bosses and Nemesis encounters changing location or type and a huge amount of hidden or alternative scenes and like RE1, alternative endings. Not to mention everything else RE3 brought into the series.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
i think capcom can produce a resident evil 3 remake a little quicker than the development time they took for re2 but re3 should absolutly be it's own game

as a unlockable bonus costume probably just like how they are doing it in re2
Yeah, you're probably right. It would be cool if once she got to the RPD she could get her old STARS outfit.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
How in the hell is RE3 not a big title?
I think for people that didn't play it growing up it kind of gets forgotten. It was actually my favourite of the old school RE games and it boggles my mind when people dismiss it. Just hope the unconfirmed reports that they are already working on a remake of it are true.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
People are saying that? Wtf are they on? The game's huge as it doesn't rely on a central hub like 2 does.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
How in the hell is RE3 not a big title?

I was always under the assumption that it didn't do as well critically and was a bit of decline from RE1, RE2, to RE4, RE5 and RE7; wouldn't be the first time I've been way off base. Probably just my own bias though, I'll admit I always preferred the first two games.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I think for people that didn't play it growing up it kind of gets forgotten. It was actually my favourite of the old school RE games and it boggles my mind when people dismiss it. Just hope the unconfirmed reports that they are already working on a remake of it are true.
It's my favorite of the OG trilogy as well.

I wouldnt doubt Dusk Golem. Guy is legit.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Veronica sold worse than Nemesis.

People keep saying this, sigh, yes the Dreamcast didnt even have a ten million player userbase, no shit it sold less. You cant look at that metric alone. Once it was ported to PS2 etc it didnt age all that well but it was also reviewer bias against tank controls at the time. Capcom has shown time and again love for that game.

What dies matter is when your sequel in the same system sells half the amount of the previous game

Nemesis might get a remake (and according to a member here, will) and thats cool because like I said originally, its a cool concept that needs to get fleshed out more, but its pretty empirical that RE3 was a letdown critically and financially and that Veronica is one of the most beloved game in the DC library.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
If they use re2 remake gameplay as a core, it would eliminate a lot of the gameplay design time. Like camera works, gunplay etc are mostly done. Similar to huge ND can build uncharted lost legacy in 1+ years.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
but its pretty empirical that RE3 was a letdown critically and financially and that Veronica is one of the most beloved game in the DC library.

RE3 was definitely not a letdown crtically. And financially? It did sell less than RE2 but I doubt that's evidence enough to support such a claim. It was after all developed by a new team and was originally a spin off (although it changed drastically when it was "promoted" to being RE3).

Also not sure CV is that beloved...

Oct 26, 2017
UK
People keep saying this, sigh, yes the Dreamcast didnt even have a ten million player userbase, no shit it sold less. You cant look at that metric alone. Once it was ported to PS2 etc it didnt age all that well but it was also reviewer bias against tank controls at the time. Capcom has shown time and again love for that game.

What dies matter is when your sequel in the same system sells half the amount of the previous game

Nemesis might get a remake (and according to a member here, will) and thats cool because like I said originally, its a cool concept that needs to get fleshed out more, but its pretty empirical that RE3 was a letdown critically and financially and that Veronica is one of the most beloved game in the DC library.

I've not played code veronica so I don't have am opinion one way or another. So while I agree that RE3 generally isn't remembered as fondly as RE1 or RE2, Code Veronica always comes out near the bottom on lists of favourite RE's. A lot of fans don't like that game.

Personally I hope both get remade as I would love to play in a 3d raccoon city and I missed out on CV back in the day and don't really want to go back and play the ps4 port.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
RE2 was actually several steps backwards from RE1. The puzzles in RE2 barely exist and can barely be called puzzles, it almost entirely fetch quests. The branching story paths of RE1 are removed and replaced with A/B scenarios that never change. There are no alternate endings either.
haha yep

As much as I love RE2 it's much more streamlined and linear than RE1

And I love to point out there's more puzzles in this demo than the entirety of the og RE2 :D

A very good video showing how simplified the routes you can take are compared to RE1

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
haha yep

As much as I love RE2 it's much more streamlined and linear than RE1

And I love to point out there's more puzzles in this demo than the entirety of the og RE2 :D

A very good video showing how simplified the routes you can take are compared to RE1

This video is excellent. The guy did videos for RE1, RE3 and CV as well. Highly recommed them all.

Deleted member 35777

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
RE3 is probably the one game in the series they can have a lot of flexibility with if they did a remake of it.

Especially after playing the RE2 remake demo.

RE3 gets a bad rap but it was still better than RE5 and RE6.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You cant look at that metric alone. Once it was ported to PS2 etc it didnt age all that well but it was also reviewer bias against tank controls at the time. Capcom has shown time and again love for that game.

Uh... are you serious with this?

No really, are you serious?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I think if you polled Resident Evil fandom, 3 places above CV no question. And I don't really think it necessarily matters where CV places exclusively among DC games.

This video is excellent. The guy did videos for RE1, RE3 and CV as well. Highly recommed them all.
And yes this is a great video!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I think if you polled Resident Evil fandom, 3 places above CV no question. And I don't really think it necessarily matters where CV places exclusively among DC games.

I wonder where RE3 would stand in a franchise ranking by the fans. It woud certainly be below RE4, RE2 and REmake, but that's it. Not that it would be the 4th, but I don't see any RE game that is definitely more liked than it. The 4th place is a close call.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I wonder where RE3 would stand in a franchise ranking by the fans. It woud certainly be below RE4, RE2 and REmake, but that's it. Not that it would be the 4th, but I don't see any RE game that is definitely more liked than it. The 4th place is a close call.

Ugh.. There have been polls well like on era or the old place I forgot which but RE5 for sure has more fans. Just from the fact far more people played 4 5 and 6 than og first 3.

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Remaking the third game would be significantly easier now that the foundations are in place. With the development pipeline in place and a the bulk of design specifications and metrics defined, you could in theory approach this as a content driven product.

In regards to the heavy content requirements, that's something that you'd likely aggressively outsource.

If the demand is there, it will be interesting to see if they try this as either an expansion of or another product altogether.

Nov 12, 2017
hey guys remember when REmake came out and fans were all like "herp derp all they gotta do is this this and this to remake RE2 i'm sure it'll come out any day now" and then it took seventeen years