• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between positivity and blissful ignorance.

Let's ignore the contingent of users wanting blissful ignorance, and focus on those wanting more positivity. Positivity is rooted in tolerance and in empathy, both of which are severely lacking in a not-insignificant chunk of users here.

It is no secret that the demographics of this place skew white, male, middle-class, and middle-aged. As a result, there's enough posters here that feel jaded and tired because of users that refuse to understand a minority perspective. You blame folks for assuming the worst of new posters, but ask TransERA, ask AsianERA or BlackERA, hell, even ask Hip-HopERA how many times we've had to justify ourselves to people who seem to make no effort to understand us.

I'll take Hip-HopERA as an example. Every single modern hip-hop thread is a shitshow, and I mean it. I actively resent threads talking about it because I know what I'll see: uninformed opinions from posters who's most recent exposure to rap was the DK Rap. I see condescension. I see anger. I see people actively trying to make me and others like me feel like trash. And this is just from my experiences with a music genre.

The fact that literally every single minority opinion gets greeted with this kind of shit is unbearable. How many communities have been run off this site from the actions of the majority? Where's AsianERA? Where's PopERA? Where's Leftist ERA? Whether it be discussions about culinary co-opting or trans rights or even the subtle undercurrents of Sinophobia that run through threads on China, there are wave after wave of posters telling minorities that their feelings are wrong. There are enough users that make no effort made to understand our feelings and where our opinions come from. There are so many posters constantly telling people that we're wrong for questioning Naughty Dog, that we're wrong for harboring concerns about Joe Biden, that we're wrong for feeling disturbed at the way China is talked about, etc etc.

So, let's be real: if you want more positivity in the forum, start by stopping any actions that actively hinder a conversation. Stop unilaterally shitting on something. Stop being purposefully inflammatory in what you post. Stop thinking every fucking thread on a topic needs your opinion, and actively consider whether or not your post is adding something to the thread. If you want positivity, stop choosing asshole behaviors. I want discussions, but I definitely don't want any part of a discussion that begins with "Lol, that shit is ugly" or "I hate these auto-tuned mumble rappers. Modern rap is shit."

Ultimately, it is your choice to make as to what kind of positivity you want. You can either choose to find positivity in a bubble, or you can choose to foster it by being empathetic and understanding.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
As long as you're not talking about putting tone and civility before fairness as an overriding philosphy, I'm cool. Y'all tried that already and it didn't work. Everyday people say shit here that doesn't deserve to be met with anything other than a "shut the fuck up." Just gotta trust the site staff to sort out who has it coming and who doesn't.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do not force people to confront their trauma by reading about other people's trauma in detail. That would be horrific, and has no basis in the field of psychology as that has a very high chance of triggering someone's ptsd.
I don't really think it's fair to frame reading a text without warnings as "forcing people to confront their trauma". Nobody is forced to read every word or watch every moment. Life has a way of blindsiding you with sensitive topics, and it's better to get used to that in a controlled environment like college. I am not a steadfast opponent of Trigger Warnings, I just don't think they ultimately do that much to shield people from bad memories.

Carl2282

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember the post you're talking about. I liked that you admitted your fault pretty quickly and I disagree with the persons that continued to chase after you after the fact. ResetEra should always be a place that fosters growth.
Beer Makes us do stupid stuff, but like I said part of it was my fault. I that most people are just quick to escalate on here. The reality is that its not just unique to Resetera, I'm seeing it a lot at work and in my circle of friends too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think it's fair to frame reading a text without warnings as "forcing people to confront their trauma". Nobody is forced to read every word or watch every moment. Life has a way of blindsiding you with sensitive topics, and it's better to get used to that in a controlled environment like college. I am not a steadfast opponent of Trigger Warnings, I just don't think they ultimately do that much to shield people from bad memories.

Trigger Warnings aren't used to guard people from just discomfort. Triggers are intimately and deeply harmful to people who experience them, and they need to avoided for their mental health.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I feel this isn't necessarily an "Era" problem so much as society as a whole. While my wish is that people here can conduct themselves accordingly (trolls that show up, aside), there is a general feeling of us vs. them across the entire country at the moment. A lot of people on Twitter complain about the people here and my first thought is *gestures wildly at Twitter.*

There are various areas where I feel like we are generally on the same page - sexual assault/abuse is bad, believe women, black lives matter, etc., but Era is not a monolith. Some people are just shitty. An email address is not enough for us to determine whether or not someone is going to come in and cry about "mah politics in mah games!!!!11!! (alts notwithstanding...but that said, if you're an alt, we will find you)."

I do wish people would come together. I get the reasons for some of the polarization (for instance, those who want Trump out of office vs. those who are not comfortable voting for Biden)...I honestly do, and so does the rest of staff.

If you're a console warrior, though, there's no hope for you. If you are, please just PM me so I can get that ban out of the way.

But we largely agree with each other. Our differences should be stupidly small, like preferring a game over the other, but realizing that others may like/dislike different things.

I do encourage users to make more threads about games that they enjoy rather than those that they hate. Or hell, every day occurrences that they enjoyed rather than your look-at-this-shit-that-happened-today thread. I think it's important to be abreast of these terrible things, but there are 49 other spots on the front page of each forum that could be filled with good things.

We all need good things.

I saw two black bears and a brown bear today. My wife decided that we should head back on the trail when we noticed that two of the bears were like 20 ft. away though.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the idea that people being negative is inherently a problem as long as people remain respectful of each other and don't go hurling unearned insults or shit at each other. People sometimes feel bad about things, be it super important things like racism, the economy, or society as a whole, or minor little things like disliking the direction a video game series is going in. I don't think it's right to suggest people shouldn't be discussing this stuff just because some people find it tiring. I also think it's a good thing to get over a fear of conflict and discourse. Obviously these things can be taken to far, but rational dialogue and talking to people you don't agree with on certain issues can be a great way to learn (This is not to say every issue is worth having a debate over, but clashing opinions in a respectful and open manner can lead to new insights)

A place where nobody is being negative can feel good, but I feel like trying to escape too often is just trying to ignore reality. It's fine if someone wants to make threads focused on positivity and discourage negative posts in those ones, that can be helpful and give people outlets to recharge. But saying people need to stop airing their thoughts and greivances on the forum in general just comes off as self centered to me

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I mean that people are mocking moderation regarding bans in there.
People mocking the bans doesn't mean the bans were ridiculous. Time and again a ban comes up and often when the actual post is found, the person was being a jerk. Yes I have seen bans that I thought were too harsh (actually messaged a mod about one recently and they were very receptive about it) but in my experience those examples pale in numbers compared to people who refuse to read the room when they post.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think Era is mostly fine tbh, outside of some ignorant stuff here and there that deserves the hostility. Gaming side is moreso an issue just because at the end of the day they are still just games when it comes to arguing what game is better or whatever. There are tools available to help curate the experience in a beneficial way for everyone here.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I think for the most part, a large part of the forum, act like adults. As some have mentioned there are definitely some people who argue in bad faith, ignore function is great for those folks.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I think Era is mostly fine tbh, outside of some ignorant stuff here and there that deserves the hostility. Gaming side is moreso an issue just because at the end of the day they are still just games when it comes to arguing what game is better or whatever. There are tools available to help curate the experience in a beneficial way for everyone here.
People love arguing over which box of plastic and circuitry is better. I mean I've had a preference over the years but fuck if I've ever given a shit about other peoples' choices.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
People love arguing over which box of plastic and circuitry is better. I mean I've had a preference over the years but fuck if I've ever given a shit about other peoples' choices.
Pfft plastic? You must be an XBoner. My PS4 Pro is full on vibranium. Loser!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah like, I get liking stuff but all I see when I read stuff like that is executives leaning back in their chairs lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills and laughing that people are working for free for them haha

Carl2282

Oct 25, 2017
I saw two black bears and a brown bear today. My wife decided that we should head back on the trail when we noticed that two of the bears were like 20 ft. away though.
Hopefully you still had a good time getting out with your wife. I grew up thinking the worst thing that could happen near black bears is that they can ruin your campsite. Someone I did business with on the west coast said black bears can get super aggressive when they have cubs. You're posting so I take it getting out went well!

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Clearly the only solution is a civil war.

Gaming vs. EtcetEra.

Two boards enter, One board leaves.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah like, I get liking stuff but all I see when I read stuff like that is executives leaning back in their chairs lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills and laughing that people are working for free for them haha
There are perfectly good reasons to discuss that sort of thing though:

- Capitalism, ho!
- It's perfectly fine, imo, to recognize that people like CEOs are not exactly operating with their workers' interests in mind and also enjoying the product that said workers create
- We are largely a collection of "gamers" - our entire hobby revolves around the concept of "luxury." Games are not "needed," but they are appreciated. We all want certain things, but we also have to either accept that there are certain issues that come with that luxury, or deny ourselves that luxury. THAT SAID, we should ABSOLUTELY work towards making those issues minimal or non-existent.
- The people making our games are PEOPLE, with lives, feelings, etc. They should 100% be made whole.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
We do have the occasional iPhone vs Android threads in EcetEra that are like that.
kill me

Hopefully you still had a good time getting out with your wife. I grew up thinking the worst thing that could happen near black bears is that they can ruin your campsite. Someone I did business with on the west coast said black bears can get super aggressive when they have cubs. You're posting so I take it getting out went well!

Yeah, it was good to get away for a while. I do live on the west coast, but I'm used to being in the wilderness. I know how to scare off a bear (and the best practices for when that doesn't work....but hopefully that never happens!). The two bears were definitely of young-adult or near-adult stage so I wasn't sure if there was a mama around, so it made sense to head out, since they were heading the way we were heading.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
This cynicism has been present in this community for like ten years. I don't think it's going away any time soon

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Clearly the only solution is a civil war.

Gaming vs. EtcetEra.

Two boards enter, One board leaves.

Why does this matter?

I know it's fun to dissect the board into two sides, but who cares? They both have their issues, but like you said, for different reasons. Let's worry about fixing that rather than pitting them against each other.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree. That said, something I noticed is that ever since I've started using Twitter more since the protests started my standard for negativity has gone down even further. I've barely felt the sting from this forum since

Made me realize twitter is really a cesspool

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Why does this matter?

I know it's fun to dissect the board into two sides, but who cares? They both have their issues, but like you said, for different reasons. Let's worry about fixing that rather than pitting them against each other.
I'm not at all serious. Is joke.

Xenoblade 3

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I like the thread tagging idea. That way we can filter out the threads we are uninterested in.
You can have tags like "Star Wars", The Last of Us", "Anime" for example.
I think this would reduce drive by one-liners from people who are actually uninterested in a topic.

Nawid

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the thread tagging idea. That way we can filter out the threads we are uninterested in.
I think this would reduce drive by one-liners from people who are actually uninterested in a topic.
I agree if it's technically feasible.

Carl2282

Oct 25, 2017
kill me

Yeah, it was good to get away for a while. I do live on the west coast, but I'm used to being in the wilderness. I know how to scare off a bear (and the best practices for when that doesn't work....but hopefully that never happens!). The two bears were definitely of young-adult or near-adult stage so I wasn't sure if there was a mama around, so it made sense to head out, since they were heading the way we were heading.
My girlfriend of 10... or 11 years is from the west of seattle area of washington.... So I used to get out there a lot pre-covid. I'm a big fan of the pacific northwest even through I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic. It's interesting I had a call with someone near Portland talking about having their 10mm glock on hand Hiking. I just bought a new mountainbike here this month and never really thought about bears. Even when I got lost and didn't get back to the trail head until after 11pm.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GAF imploded because of the owners problems sure but was also a boiling pot of anger across the board that had that as the catalyst that tipped the scale. There was absolutely no civil discord across all major topics of the time and the hostility was off the wall. We are literally in the same boat.

If you look back at the opening threads of Off-Topic on here that first week the major threads were about "fresh start", "we can finally be nice again", "hope for change", etc. In my opinion this board was back in a similar slope within 12 months after it opened.

Leadership (both mod/admin but also most prominent members) can influence things back to civility but frankly I just don't see it, and everyone is falling into the same traps as GAF did.

Regardless of there being a boiling pot of anger, everyone leaving was caused by his actions and his actions alone. Do you really think that everyone would have stayed after finding out what he did, that he lied to his entire staff, and that he was deleting/locking any discussion about the incident? I highly doubt it. Don't frame it as a catalyst when it was truly a heinous act by a trash person that got the response it deserved.

I mostly think that Era is fine. If there is hostility it's probably rightfully dispensed by our marginalized groups after having to deal with ignorance, bad faith arguments, and bigots in a forum that is supposed to be a safe place for discussion. Which is always why I'm fine with the bans being strict on here as well. They were fought for by the LGBTQ+ community as a way to combat some of the ignorance and bad faith arguments so that this forum could be more welcoming. Hell, I've been using this forum since the first day and I haven't once even been warned. It's not difficult.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An addendum to my post above: if you want positivity, stop engaging with negative posts. Stop contributing to poorly disguised console warrior threads. Stop getting into arguments with shitposts. Stop taking the bait every fucking time.

Start engaging with the good posts and the good threads, and start being decent to the people who willingly put effort into what they post here.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It's something we've mulled over before, but there is a limit to what tags would cover. It would be more like "News," "Rumor," "Xbox," "Nintendo," etc., rather than having hundreds of different ones (also there are technical issues regarding tags that we're still looking into).

But that also kinda leads into my prior point. It's up to the USERS to not make shit that isn't entirely negative. That's not to say every TLJ thread that is made needs to be washing Rian Johnson's balls, but there seems to be a preponderance of people who are just making threads about it just to shit on it. I get it, you can dislike the THING, but we don't need a new thread on it every week.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why it's so hard for people who aren't interested in certain types of threads to just ignore those threads and look at the ones they do like, but if some people are having that many issues I don't think the thread tagging idea is inherently bad, though the issue of implementation would need to be brought up

I also think some people get really paranoid about how easy it is to get banned. I've gone against the grain in a handful of political threads throughout the years, and I've only been banned once, and I do think that ban was probably justified because I did go too far in some of my arguements and wasn't presenting my ideas in a way that was really justified. (Granted I don't completely agree with certain aspects of that ban like how long it was, but ultimately it was a minor issue). As long as you respect the people you're talking to and don't defend some truly vile shit it isn't that easy to get banned. And usually you'll get warnings before you're banned so you could always try to discuss stuff with mods over PM when that happens.

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
I don't think it's possible to have civility when debating hot button issues at the high level.

Many years ago I thought enforcing integrity and consistency in one's views would keep debates friendly by weeding out the hypocrites.

Boy was I ever wrong lol.

Maybe it works with high schools debates , but once you get to big leagues you learn from the hard core ideologues that integrity and consistency are actually terrible traits and should never be held up as virtues.

I was hit with brutal takedown on the sheer stupidity of my juvenile train of thought. Honor has no place in politics! It's OK to feign it in strategic moments to advance your goals, but beyond that it's stupid to actually believe in it.

After I wised up, I deleted all my web clippings and notes that I kept for daily online debates. I didn't have the toughness to hang with the big boys.

So there is no point of getting worked up about it. It cannot and will not change because aggression, trolling and cut throat practices are the only way to make actual, meaningful progress.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I don't get why it's so hard for people who aren't interested in certain types of threads to just ignore those threads and look at the ones they do like, but if some people are having that many issues I don't think the thread tagging idea is inherently bad, though the issue of implementation would need to be brought up

I also think some people get really paranoid about how easy it is to get banned. I've gone against the grain in a handful of political threads throughout the years, and I've only been banned once, and I do think that ban was probably justified because I did go too far in some of my arguements and wasn't presenting my ideas in a way that was really justified. (Granted I don't completely agree with certain aspects of that ban like how long it was, but ultimately it was a minor issue). As long as you respect the people you're talking to and don't defend some truly vile shit it isn't that easy to get banned. And usually you'll get warnings before you're banned so you could always try to discuss stuff with mods over PM when that happens.
It's not that hard. I mean, for some reason people just feel the ABSOLUTE NEED to shit on something that other people are enjoying, and it makes no sense to me.

It really is not easy to get banned. I do not understand people who think this. We're incredibly lenient on things like drive-by posts ("is it funny," "did it derail," "was it innocuous," etc.) and other things. Yeah, if you're coming into a thread where someone is complaining about representation in a game and your comment is the gaming equivalent of "all lives matter," then yeah, here's my foot meeting your ass. But like, just having an argument about, say, console specs? As long as you're not sitting there giving the other poster shit for liking something else we don't care.

There's literally one major, overarching rule for ResetEra.

DON'T BE A DICK.

Following that rule will save you from about 95% of the reasons for being banned.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I see it the other way. I never been ban before (except for the endgame thing lol) but that's because I know what to post and what not to post. I mainly observe. Not all mods are the same tho of course. But it's not the exception but the rule right?
So far bans are reviewed. Why do you consider certain mods trigger happy? I am pretty sure a trigger mod would have been outted by now.

Carl2282

Oct 25, 2017

I might just be speaking for myself, but the moderation seems fine, In spite of the one dumb post I've made here, I've never felt like I'd been the subject of adverse action here. I've had a few friends in the old place.. back in the 2005-2009's complain about being banned just posting in threads... I don't think we ever come close here on resetera, of course I could be mistaken.
With that said I'll never post in a killzone 4 thread! /giphy that's bait

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to deal with things, I don't know what the right answer is. I moderated gaf for a few years, and I've been here for a few years, and my overall impression is that the community frequently feels unpleasant to be in. I don't think the general composition of personality traits has changed much over the last... 10 years or whatever, it's just that now the abrasive, obnoxious, aggressive people don't use homophobic slurs anymore. Great, but they're still abrasive, obnoxious and aggressive. I know several people I considered very valuable members of the community who have left because this place just drained them. As I said - I don't know what the answer is, and I was on the other side of moderation so I know how hard it is to make the right call. That's just how I feel about it.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I feel that an open-door registration policy in some ways led us down the same path of a toxic environment as GAF, where there's just an ongoing influx of people who join the site with no interest in empathy, or listening to others, or in not being a complete bigot or shithead. And you would know better than I, but that's probably an impossible task for the mod team, and I would imagine doesn't allow for much nuance when they're playing whack-a-mole. I was on one of the first life rafts over to Era, and everyone was excited to build something better, but then we didn't really have open, honest discussions about what "better" could look like.

I would have preferred something of a closed invite system. You can bring people in, but if they catch a ban, so do you. It would make people think real hard about whether their friend is going to be a dick on the site and get them in trouble. Maybe that's something the admins would never entertain, but I think there's a reason why the community threads are the most chill. People know each other and live in the same virtual space day after day, which makes them want to take a bit more care to not mess it up. After all, that's how Era got seeded in the first place. A chain of trust.

Another idea I've had is letting the community vote on their moderation team (a la StackOverflow), which could help create less of a tense relationship between mods and users.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest this really is a matter of what people consider positive and less hostile. Much of what I see is just bitching and complaining about bans and "having to censor myself" to which I say good. Having to actually think about what the fuck you are typing before you put it down is good. A lot of what people are "scared" to post is shit you should be scared to post and shouldn't even be posting anyway. Are there exceptions? Yes. Is it as vast and expansive as it is being stated? Imo no it is not. Can the bans get excessive? Yes. But as a counter, I personally do not wish to be in a community where we have to accept 97% disingenuous "just asking questions" bullshit for the 3% of people who are genuine but also know better. You have the entire rest of the internet for that. I am more than willing to chill with the amount of dismissive posts to help discourse but you can't seriously read the gaming side for example whenever the topic of minority characters in games comes up and expect minorities to not get mad over the same "who cares about the race of the characters in the game, as long as its fun that is all that matters" posts.

If this is going to be 50% of the thread then 50% of the thread needs to get a warning to go the fuck away if they can't provide a useful post.

If you want to improve discourse step one is for people to read the opening of the thread. I'd also suggest that threads not be made about major figure purely based off of Twitter unless they are huge happenings.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
To be honest this really is a matter of what people consider positive and less hostile. Much of what I see is just bitching and complaining about bans and "having to censor myself" to which I say good. Having to actually think about what the fuck you are typing before you put it down is good. A lot of what people are "scared" to post is shit you should be scared to post and shouldn't even be posting anyway. Are there exceptions? Yes. Is it as vast and expansive as it is being stated? Imo no it is not. Can the bans get excessive? Yes. But as a counter, I personally do not wish to be in a community where we have to accept 97% disingenuous "just asking questions" bullshit for the 3% of people who are genuine but also know better. You have the entire rest of the internet for that. I am more than willing to chill with the amount of dismissive posts to help discourse but you can't seriously read the gaming side for example whenever the topic of minority characters in games comes up and expect minorities to not get mad over the same "who cares about the race of the characters in the game, as long as its fun that is all that matters" posts.

If this is going to be 50% of the thread then 50% of the thread needs to get a warning to go the fuck away if they can't provide a useful post.

If you want to improve discourse step one is for people to read the opening of the thread. I'd also suggest that threads not be made about major figure purely based off of Twitter unless they are huge happenings.
I will apologize for individual bans here and there. We don't always get it right. But I do stand by the standards we set forth.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that hard. I mean, for some reason people just feel the ABSOLUTE NEED to shit on something that other people are enjoying, and it makes no sense to me.

It really is not easy to get banned. I do not understand people who think this. We're incredibly lenient on things like drive-by posts ("is it funny," "did it derail," "was it innocuous," etc.) and other things. Yeah, if you're coming into a thread where someone is complaining about representation in a game and your comment is the gaming equivalent of "all lives matter," then yeah, here's my foot meeting your ass. But like, just having an argument about, say, console specs? As long as you're not sitting there giving the other poster shit for liking something else we don't care.

There's literally one major, overarching rule for ResetEra.

DON'T BE A DICK.

Following that rule will save you from about 95% of the reasons for being banned.
Yeah. In the first place it's hard to even argue with people saying the Mods take things too far and are too trigger happy because they never, ever give concrete examples. They'll say it's because they're afraid even bringing this up will lead to unfair push back, but this type of discussion is impossible to have in good faith if we can't even see what they think is excessive in the first place

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I know that implementing a tagging system is a mammoth gargantuan task that is difficult to implement in the constraints of the forum software we use and a forum of our size, but God damn would it fix every single problem I have with this forum. A tag-based ignore list would be magical.

Last edited:

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways now I'm in a weird mood so I'm going to ramble. this is going to get a little sincere but not that intelligible. please excuse me if I start to pretentiously format the post, I'm just trying to make things more legible.

Here are some aspects that I think made the forums into the weird and hostile environment it exists today.

The death of Neogaf and our inability to, as a community, reconcile what the hell happened. This might sound cringey but... Neogaf was important to us, it shaped a lot of people's morality and ideology, and when suddenly the world was turned upside down we weren't able to talk about it here. To sound even cringier, I think there was some trauma left unprocessed as a result. If you wanted to, you had to either go to an off-site drama forum or talk about it in a private discord channel. Speaking of which...

The rise of discord, and off-forum meta community discussion. When the forum shattered, many communities went to discord, not just to coordinate but to safely discuss what is happening and what will happen to their community. And when Resetera was founded, many stayed on Discord. Communities now have more of their own agenda that is no longer intrinsically tied to the forum like they did on Neogaf. They can have meta discussions, gossip about drama, and discuss ways to post tactfully. This isn't inherently bad, but I think it does feed into a paranoia that a post is not just a post. That maybe a post is referencing something bigger and purposely destructive to your beliefs or your own community. Or that maybe you need to post that way in order to support your own community.

The moderation technology is too good. If you ever posted on Something Awful, you'd understand how a feature where anybody can report a post they didn't like would lead to a moderation team that is constantly exhausted and stressed out. Hundreds of memories of moderators screaming at SA Goons to "SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUT UP. SHUT UP. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THIS POST" in dumb threads about stuff like pastel egg shaped rugs come to mind. It use to be that toxic posts came from toxic posters, who would get banned because as a result of their toxic nature they would vomit toxic posts so much that a mod browsing a thread would take notice. That wasn't a good method, a lot of pain happened. However, now every bad post can be broadcasted. And moderators now have to take responsibility for every single one of them. That gives me a migraine just to think about.

other stuff but my mania subsided and i'm now tired goodnight y'all i hope i don't get banned for this one. keep in mind that life isn't about eliminating your problems but choosing the ones you want to have, so don't take this post as a "here's a list of problems we shouldn't have" but just an observation of things that have factored into a forum whose atmosphere feels like it's from venus. maybe we made the right decisions all things considered. maybe someone smarter than me will figure something out. i dunno. bush did 9/11.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.