• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prometheus.

Banned
Sep 17, 2019
We are reaching a point in which TV series can look as good as a traditional theater movie:

latest

tenor.gif

We even had the mediocre but sometimes good looking Altered Carbon, which has your typical cyberpunk setting:

lead_720_405.jpg

Visual fiddelity was in my opinion the biggest problem in the development of a good cyberpunk live action tv series, but its no more.

We need a live-action Blade Runner series, preferably in an anthology format True Detective-style that tackles cyberpunk themes like transhumanism, the dangers of extreme capitalism and modern society induced alienation etc. I could also be a really amazing looking series, and by HBO please.

tumblr_p22h2w4nRj1qc3ju8o10_500.gifv

HeavenlyPepperyCottonmouth-size_restricted.gif

Opinions?

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Nah we really don't. Don't ruin a good thing. Visual fidelity is the last thing that's important in Blade Runner.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Blade Runner is set in an amazing universe, but the films have already mined its major themes for all they're worth. I'm not sure I need ten hours of something that's already been done perfectly in less than half that time.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I had to watch BR 2049 3 times because I kept falling asleep, how the hell am I going to sit for 8-10 hours of the TV series?

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree we really do need it and one of these streaming services needs to deliver

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Give it a bigger budget than Game of Thrones.

If they ain't losing money on the visuals it's not Blade Runner.

Oct 27, 2017
I certainly love a lot of things about the Blade Runner universe, and I quite enjoyed the second movie for the most part, but it seems like one of those things that people keep trying to make happen, and it just doesn't seem to catch.

The original film is a classic of sorts now, but even so I wouldn't say it's exactly super popular. I can't imagine there's much an audience for the TV show considering the last film didn't do well.

It's kind of how I feel about Dune to be honest. Something hard-core sci-fi fans really are into, and it seems to be inspiring a lot of passion amongst different filmmakers and such over the years, but I don't know if the general public really cares.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a risky project, but if the talent is there, I'd watch it of course.

They should get Watanabe to make a full anime series of Blade Runner though.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Some shameful replies in here. It says something about you as a person if you don't like either movie.

Completely agree op. As long as it tries to explore new themes while keeping it in the same universe.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some shameful replies in here. It says something about you as a person if you don't like either movie.

Completely agree op. As long as it tries to explore new themes while keeping it in the same universe.
I love both movies.

That's why I don't want some watered down shit.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I would love a TV series set in the Blade Runner universe, especially if it was some side story that has never been explored before.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They tried to set up a TV show in 2049.

Not gonna lie, I don't think i'd be interested in that premise. (Replicant uprising). But I would enjoy another mystery-type-thing set in this world. Kind of like Ghost in the Shell SAC, but more dystopian.

WarioLuigi22

alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
You kinda just blew my mind, OP. Ignore the pretentious elitists; this would be perfect for TV.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

Yeah. If they got people really invested and gave them a proper budget I would have faith. Large parts of it would be no more expensive than any other show, splice in the occasional grand vista and that's all you need. Considering the effects work and craziness going into a show like Mindhunter and it seems like we've reached a stage where film level effects are accessible on a TV budget.

They can keep it separate from everything else, maybe with passing references to Rachel & Deckard but leave it at that.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just do Gits. There's much more to work with/adapt there.

Blade Runner being a box office bomb doesn't mean anything when it comes to TV. Buffy, Stargate, and Westworld were box office bombs if I recall correctly. And yet were successful enough TV shows to get multiple seasons.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The Blade Runner universe really isn't interesting enough to withstand a TV series. I do agree though that there should be more cyberpunk TV series. I wish the writing and direction for Altered Carbon was better.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
The point of Blade Runner isn't to get completely immersed in the lore of the universe, it's that we only ever really get hints of what's going on in the background. I'd much rather eventually have a third film (set a few decades after BR2049), and allow that film to make its own decisions about the world, than anything else.

I'd love a super-well-produced live action Ghost in the Shell show, though.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Nah we really don't. Don't ruin a good thing. Visual fidelity is the last thing that's important in Blade Runner.

I don't agree with that at all. The visuals of Blade Runner are the foundation of the experience, I seriously doubt that they could be properly replicated on a TV show.

Everything about the near-future of Blade Runner feels real, the second you see any cheap-looking CGI or shoddy lighting the atmosphere would be destroyed.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't. Even in 2049, anything br-related in it is hokey as fuck.
Just do a completely separated sci/fi-cyberpunk story.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You know, I see a ton of people here saying we need a Cyberpunk TV-Show. And then they mention Blade Runner.

Blade Runner is only very surface level Cyberpunk, though. If you want actual, proper Cyberpunk, you need to look at the Cyberpunk RPG, you need to look at Shadowrun, you need to look at William Gibson's Neuromancer, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Blade Runner, I love those films to death, and I'll acknowledge them as Cyberpunk. But the entire Body Modification angle is missing from the films. The entire Cyberpunk-y Deal is missing. Transhumanism is talked about thorougly, but only done so in terms of beings that weren't human to begin with.

To me, Cyberpunk is about humans themselves becoming more than humans through Cybernetic enhancements.

I want a Shadowrun series. That would cover a far broader amount of themes than a Blade Runner series does, and it would leave the Blade Runner franchise untouched.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Altered Carbon is kind of that series though, although it focuses more on using human bodies as "ghost in the shell" rather than straight up replicants. I don't know much about the cyberpunk world, if Witcher on Netflix does well and Cyberpunk 2077 does well I could see streaming services more interested in doing a similar spin.

I'd love a blade runner series but the fact that 2049 just did "ok" in theaters probably doesn't make it an easy sell, Battle Angel Alita and Ghost in the Shell didn't perform well either. I think there is supposed to be a Dune TV series (based off the Bene Gesserit), if both the movie and TV show do well I could see some interest sparked in cyberpunk since there are some shared themes, just different setting.

Snow Crash was supposed to be an amazon TV show but I think that got cancelled, along with a live action Conan series.

We really need a massive cyberpunk/future hit in movies and TV. I guess its a chicken and egg problem, someone needs to do one that blows everyone away (BR2049 did blow me away so what the fuck do I know) and does insanely well commercially, then a bunch of copycats will flow.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
While I have yet to read the works of Isaac Asimov (hoping to start on reading the Foundation series with Complete Robot), could it be considered a touch on Cyberpunk side? If so then IIRC Apple tv are working on live tv adaptation of his works.

Literally, the first thing that popped into my head. I miss this show.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I don't really mind either way, but i think others have raised a good point that whilst Blade Runner and its sequel are brilliant films, they are self contained enough that their universe doesn't and perhaps couldn't be expanded.
Altered Carbon and other Cyber punk series are close enough and perhaps thats best

Var

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am always down for more Blade Runner. Maybe we could finally get a new Blade Runner game if the TV show did well...

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I think our best bet is hoping someone picks up that Mega City One series Rebellion has been shopping around for a few years.