• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ow-what-causes-alzheimers-and-how-to-stop-it/

We may finally know what causes Alzheimer's – and how to stop it

b2201418-oral_bacteria_tem-800x533.jpg

P. gingivalis may be the main culprit in Alzheimer's disease

By Debora MacKenzie

If you bled when you brushed your teeth this morning, you might want to get that seen to. We may finally have found the long-elusive cause of Alzheimer's disease: Porphyromonas gingivalis, the key bacteria in chronic gum disease.
That's bad, as gum disease affects around a third of all people. But the good news is that a drug that blocks the main toxins of P. gingivalis is entering major clinical trials this year, and research published today shows it might stop and even reverse Alzheimer's. There could even be a vaccine.
Alzheimer's is one of the biggest mysteries in medicine. As populations have aged, dementia has skyrocketed to become the fifth biggest cause of death worldwide. Alzheimer's constitutes some 70 per cent of these cases and yet, we don't know what causes it.

Bacteria in the brain
The disease often involves the accumulation of proteins called amyloid and tau in the brain, and the leading hypothesis has been that the disease arises from defective control of these two proteins.
But research in recent years has revealed that people can have amyloid plaques without having dementia. So many efforts to treat Alzheimer's by moderating these proteins have failed that the hypothesis has been seriously questioned.
Read more: Here's how to avoid gum disease
However evidence has been growing that the function of amyloid proteins may be as a defence against bacteria, leading to a spate of recent studies looking at bacteria in Alzheimer's, particularly those that cause gum disease, which is known to be a major risk factor for the condition.
Bacteria involved in gum disease and other illnesses have been found after death in the brains of people who had Alzheimer's, but until now, it hasn't been clear whether these bacteria caused the disease or simply got in via brain damage caused by the condition.

Gum disease link
Multiple research teams have been investigating P. gingivalis, and have so far found that it invades and inflames brain regions affected by Alzheimer's; that gum infections can worsen symptoms in mice genetically engineered to have Alzheimer's; and that it can cause Alzheimer's-like brain inflammation, neural damage, and amyloid plaques in healthy mice.
"When science converges from multiple independent laboratories like this, it is very compelling," says Casey Lynch of Cortexyme, a pharmaceutical firm in San Francisco, California.
In the new study, Cortexyme have now reported finding the toxic enzymes – called gingipains – that P. gingivalis uses to feed on human tissue in 96 per cent of the 54 Alzheimer's brain samples they looked at, and found the bacteria themselves in all three Alzheimer's brains whose DNA they examined.
Read more: The Alzheimer's problem: Why we are struggling to find a cure
"This is the first report showing P. gingivalis DNA in human brains, and the associated gingipains, co-lococalising with plaques," says Sim Singhrao, of the University of Central Lancashire, UK. Her team previously found that P. gingivalis actively invades the brains of mice with gum infections. She adds that the new study is also the first to show that gingipains slice up tau protein in ways that could allow it to kill neurons, causing dementia.
The bacteria and its enzymes were found at higher levels in those who had experienced worse cognitive decline, and had more amyloid and tau accumulations. The team also found the bacteria in the spinal fluid of living people with Alzheimer's, suggesting that this technique may provide a long-sought after method of diagnosing the disease.
When the team gave P. gingivalis gum disease to mice, it led to brain infection, amyloid production, tangles of tau protein, and neural damage in the regions and nerves normally affected by Alzheimer's.
Cortexyme had previously developed molecules that block gingipains. Giving some of these to mice reduced their infections, halted amyloid production, lowered brain inflammation and even rescued damaged neurons.
The team found that an antibiotic that killed P. gingivalis did this too, but less effectively, and the bacteria rapidly developed resistance. They did not resist the gingipain blockers. "This provides hope of treating or preventing Alzheimer's disease one day," says Singhrao.

Journal reference: Science Advances

Mod Edit: OP truncated. Please do not copy and paste entire articles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
I lost my grandmother to Alzheimer's a few years ago, and my mom and I are both worried that we'd get it.

Hopefully, this article isn't too inaccurate.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Wow. That's quite the connection. If this pans out this would be a monumental discovery. Something as common as bleeding gums though is probably going to stress millions of people out right now.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've lost multiple family members, including my grandmother, to Alzhemier's.

I hope this finding results in a vaccine or cure. I'd love nothing more than to see this eradicated. The pain and suffering it causes for everyone is just something nobody should have to deal with.

Oct 30, 2017
Gum disease is so common many of you reading this probably suffer from it but don't know it. So basically, brush twice a day, floss and get regularly cleanings every 6 months like you've been told your whole life.

edit. I fell off the wagon myself for awhile but I'm back on. Come join the party

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Like 90 percent of Stomach cancer is also by a bacterial infection. And it took YEARS for people to figure it out.

Hope this turns out to be the case.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Think about the social and scientific implication of discovering the cause and potential cure to Alzheimer. Now look at the scientific publication for this article.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If it's bacterial it can potentially be fully wiped out. That would be great news for all of us with elderly family.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, had several older family members with it.

I hope crohn's, and colitis aren't too far off either from finding out what truly causes it.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know people will jump to conclusions because that's what people do when they read a science headline, but I beg you: please be cautious about this.

I don't have time to read the article right now but I'll take a look when I get a chance.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Been using invisible aligners... which required me to completely change the way I handle my teeth. I'm glad I started flossing after every meal, will keep up that habit if this is true...

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
So you telling me all those doctors removing teeth to prevent mental illness in the early 20th century were on to something?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's quite the connection. If this pans out this would be a monumental discovery. Something as common as bleeding gums though is probably going to stress millions of people out right now.
Tell me about it. Had an Onion moment reading that. "Coming up after the break: Why that headache may be cancer." Regardless, the fact that something so seemingly mundane could be the cause is kind of mind-blowing.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I read another article that said they couldn't necessarily rule out that the results could be off because people with Alzheimer's may tend to have poor oral hygiene

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-46986709

"But, alternatively, it may be that people with Alzheimer's have poorer oral hygiene, perhaps because the condition makes them less able to look after their teeth and gums."

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but all this requires is a statistician or data scientist. I'm not saying they would have known the cause, just the correlation.

Someone has to think "hey, why don't we look at gum disease?"

Then they have to conduct a massive peer reviewed study to even find that correlation.

Repeat this for literally any potential cause.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Hurry up!

I know people suffering from this. They'll probably be willing to test any drugs or treatments for it.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah what's up with this particular research publication? I don't wanna spread the research around if the science is inaccurate.
This an open-access, online-only journal published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, whose top-tier journal is Science. The work published in these types of journals is generally fine, but you do need to be a bit cautious, and in the case of something as supposedly ground-breaking as this, you would expect it to be in a top-tier journal. The reason that it isn't could be due to a variety of factors, some having to do with the quality of science on display, some more political.

Edit: By the way, everyone, impact factor is not a very good way to judge a journal (even if it is how some admin people like to decide tenure *grumble grumble*).

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
This an open-access, online-only journal published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, whose top-tier journal is Science. The work published in these types of journals is generally fine, but you do need to be a bit cautious, and in the case of something as supposedly ground-breaking as this, you would expect it to be in a top-tier journal. The reason that it isn't could be due to a variety of factors, some having to do with the quality of science on display, some more political.
My gut feeling says if their findings were truly as groundbreaking they would be in Science instead. I guess some of the data may be a bit off but I suspect we might be hearing more about this when that pharmacological study is well underway.

SaveWeyard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My gut feeling says if their findings were truly as groundbreaking they would be in Science instead. I guess some of the data may be a bit off but I suspect we might be hearing more about this when that pharmacological study is well underway.
I'm also really cautious because the research is coming out of a pharma firm which obviously has a vested interest in this.