• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
At a Twitter all-hands meeting on March 22, an employee asked a blunt question: Twitter has largely eradicated Islamic State propaganda off its platform. Why can't it do the same for white supremacist content?

An executive responded by explaining that Twitter follows the law, and a technical employee who works on machine learning and artificial intelligence issues went up to the mic to add some context. (As Motherboard has previously reported, algorithms are the next great hopefor platforms trying to moderate the posts of their hundreds of millions, or billions, of users.)

With every sort of content filter, there is a tradeoff, he explained. When a platform aggressively enforces against ISIS content, for instance, it can also flag innocent accounts as well, such as Arabic language broadcasters. Society, in general, accepts the benefit of banning ISIS for inconveniencing some others, he said.

In separate discussions verified by Motherboard, that employee said Twitter hasn't taken the same aggressive approach to white supremacist content because the collateral accounts that are impacted can, in some instances, be Republican politicians.

The employee argued that, on a technical level, content from Republican politicians could get swept up by algorithms aggressively removing white supremacist material. Banning politicians wouldn't be accepted by society as a trade-off for flagging all of the white supremacist propaganda, he argued.

"Most people can agree a beheading video or some kind of ISIS content should be proactively removed, but when we try to talk about the alt-right or white nationalism, we get into dangerous territory, where we're talking about [Iowa Rep.] Steve King or maybe even some of Trump's tweets, so it becomes hard for social media companies to say all of this 'this content should be removed,'" Amarasingam said.

Cowards

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I think we already had a thread on this. Lemme see if I can find it.

EDIT: Maybe not. Can't seem to find it.

But yeah, that shit is fucked up. It is so fucking sad that so many Americans can permit this hateful behavior from Republicans.

Last edited:

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Same reason they don't ban POTUS' official account despite racism, propaganda and sheer misonformation.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Weird, it's like if Trump was anyone else he'd be banned on the spot for threatening violence to millions of people.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The world would be a better place if Steve King didn't have a voice, Twitter.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Since the last time we had this topic, I've kind of come around to the idea that maybe federal politicians just shouldn't have Twitter.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So if they dont want to use an algorithm to ban Republicans, why no just manually ban the most extreme voices? Is it because they dont want to ban officials with hate speech and rock the boat?

They should be clear that anyone, regardless of class is up to be banned in the service. Twitter is not a us government property, why they hell would they be scared to ban trump or his ilk for being racists? Backlash? Why dont they do a public thing where they posts facts and give honest reasons? Damn.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
If these people are in violation of the rules they should suffer the consequences just like anyone else would.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why cant Jack just own it? This isnt about free speech and expression so much as it's about his support for their views. Just fucking own it and admit it dude.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the "society wouldn't accept it" defense. How brave and noble are the decision-makers at Twitter.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The employee argued that, on a technical level, content from Republican politicians could get swept up by algorithms aggressively removing white supremacist material. Banning politicians wouldn't be accepted by society as a trade-off for flagging all of the white supremacist propaganda, he argued.
Not accepted by whom?

I would accept banning racist, mysoginist & homophobic dipshits.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
It's almost like white supermacy is accepted in this society. And with "almost" I mean completely.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Not accepted by whom?

Given that the rep from Twitter said in the same breath that accidentally silencing normal Arabic accounts was "acceptable by society" and accidentally (or not) silencing Republican politicians was not "acceptable by society", it seemed pretty clear to me that "society" is being used as a euphemism to mean "those in power". How would those in power react to Trump, Steve King, et al. getting banned?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-thus-effectively-censor-the-internet.134599/

Trump is already using his power over the FCC to threaten the regulation of speech because he feels that his fellow right-wing voices don't get heard enough, and Twitter, FB, and such aren't trying to deplatform them. I have to imagine that Twitter's management sees it as less productive to ban people properly and then get the FCC deciding who you can and cannot ban, and things may be worse than they currently are.

It's the irony of large corporations. You have enough money and staying power to lobby in Congress for decades, manipulating what laws get passed to favor you.... But not enough money and power to keep a corrupt president from deciding to sic the FCC and FTC on you. Because in normal times, that power needed to be there and was used appropriately.

So, that's just it. Twitter is in a situation where they neither win or get to make a moral victory either way, so they take the path where Trump is less likely to set a precedent of politically-motivated speech regulation.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given that the rep from Twitter said in the same breath that accidentally silencing normal Arabic accounts was "acceptable by society" and accidentally (or not) silencing Republican politicians was not "acceptable by society", it seemed pretty clear to me that "society" is being used as a euphemism to mean "those in power". How would those in power react to Trump, Steve King, et al. getting banned?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-thus-effectively-censor-the-internet.134599/

Trump is already using his power over the FCC to threaten the regulation of speech because he feels that his fellow right-wing voices don't get heard enough, and Twitter, FB, and such aren't trying to deplatform them. I have to imagine that Twitter's management sees it as less productive to ban people properly and then get the FCC deciding who you can and cannot ban, and things may be worse than they currently are.

It's the irony of large corporations. You have enough money and staying power to lobby in Congress for decades, manipulating what laws get passed to favor you.... But not enough money and power to keep a corrupt president from deciding to sic the FCC and FTC on you. Because in normal times, that power needed to be there and was used appropriately.

So, that's just it. Twitter is in a situation where they neither win or get to make a moral victory either way, so they take the path where Trump is less likely to set a precedent of politically-motivated speech regulation.
Yup, I also think it's interesting to see them openly admit the flaws in their own algorithm. In seeking to eradicate ISIS content, their algorithm took down many Arabic tweets and accounts that are wholly unrelated, thus silencing the speech of tons of people on their platform with no discernable justification. But that collateral damage is acceptable because the US public generally doesn't care about Arab voices.

Makes you wonder if part of the reason they don't go after racism harder is because they know their shitty algorithms would start banning tons of black people's accounts for use of the N word.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not accepted by whom?

That line of argument is just bullshit. Twitter act like it can't create a list of politicians and exclude them from automatic action (I think blue check marks in general get that, but I'm not sure).
Their concern is Republican politicians will accuse them of bias if they do remove the low level racists, but they do that already.

And more broadly, twitter makes money from nazis, if they kick out the nazis, they'll make less money.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That line of argument is just bullshit. Twitter act like it can't create a list of politicians and exclude them from automatic action (I think blue check marks in general get that, but I'm not sure).
Their concern is Republican politicians will accuse them of bias if they do remove the low level racists, but they do that already.

And more broadly, twitter makes money from nazis, if they kick out the nazis, they'll make less money.
They are also afraid of government intervention from the current administration. It's not just the accusations of bias, there is a real threat from the Trump admin. Now the 1st ammendment should protect Twitter pretty securely, but that would still be a huge, expensive legal battle for them to fight.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twitter often times doesn't even ban ISIS though. Pretty sure there are still countless ISIS, taliban, al qaeda, etc accounts on Twitter operating full force.