• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually legit considering the next Xbox and I only owned PS4 this gen.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah its a staggering turn around. They went from having a truly abysmal 1st party with the X1 to a strong resurgent back to the 360 days. I honestly didn't expect it to happen so fast.

They are still missing one vital piece....PGR!

And no, Horizon isn't a replacement for PGR. PGR was an incredible track racer, that's something Horizon will never be able to replicate with its emphasis on open world racing.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They're in a good position now with a great first party and services people keep praising. Personally, I'm spending the majority of my gaming time in the Xbox ecosystem due to Game Pass and backwardscompatibility, but I also like a lot of the games they release. Crackdown 3, Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds (I know they're not publishing it) are some of my favorite games this year, despite the shortcomings of the latter two.

Improvements they could do? I wish the backwardscompatibility program would continue, that they'd leave franchise factories behind and do more AAA single player games and fewer multiplayer/service titles. And microtransactions needs to go across their entire portfolio. They have a huge impact every time they're implemented and it always affects the overall design and enjoyment of the games.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking exactly this, but from my perspective. My time is limited, now I no longer have to only really consider the aaa blockbusters - I can easily take a "gamble" on an AA title that I'd otherwise skip and undoubtedly will play some more new, fun games as a result. Win/win.
Yeah there is suddenly no reason at all to not play a 7/10 game, the only thing you lose is some storage space on the HDD. And there is no reason to stick to a game you don't like either because you payed for it, drop it after 5 minutes if you want, no further loss. I love it.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
they have a solid base now but none of the titles excite me like the top nintendo or sony titles. they still lack 1-2 standout AAA games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The first party lineup is solid and will only get better when the Scarlett AAAs are announced.

But honestly the biggest excitement for me is the shear amount of indies coming to Game Pass day one, like Streets of Rage 4, Tunic and Cyber Shadow. It's crazy.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Outer Worlds isnt an XGS game at all.

It was developed pre-purchase and published by Private Division.

It was just day and date launched on Gamepass.....a bunch of games do that doesnt make them XGS games.
Well, mostly true. The final year of its development was as part of XGS, and we know from interviews that the game benefited from additional resources there. And Microsoft now owns the IP of course. But indeed it was green lit and published by PD.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I love PlayStation. But the third person AAAs are becoming monotonous. I love the variety in Xbox and how compatible it is with pc

I'm with you on this one. Sony makes amazing games, and don't get me wrong they are different from each other, but they largely have similar focuses. A lot of their unique IPs have been dropped or shoved to the wayside.

Microsoft still has to deliver, but they've been showing increasingly diverse games.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still think its crazy that Flight Sim and AoE4 are "overlooked" with the big AAA argument.
Also i think so far Flight Sim is the only game i have seen that even pushes gaming and technical innovation also forward.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get into the semantic of "not really a xgs title"... It's an MS franchise at the end of the day. Also Shingi_70 ...you missed Age of Empires III : Definitive Edition (which is probably coming out next year). Starting now, XGS will be producing 15 announced games (with more that we know are coming down the pipe). Anybody got some time that they are selling?

Theorry I agree, Age 4 and Flight Sim are 100% AAA titles that have huge fanbase. It's just the typical "Era" type darling games.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love PlayStation. But the third person AAAs are becoming monotonous. I love the variety in Xbox and how compatible it is with pc
Ding ding ding. Xbox used to get shit for its over abundance of shooters. But when you look at their new lineup there is a little bit of everything everywhere.

Hope Sony does something different than the AAA third person game next go around.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm a big fan of the fact that they aren't cutting off other platforms too. Working with Steam and Windows/Gamepass PC is really cool.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still think its crazy that Flight Sim and AoE4 are "overlooked" with the big AAA argument.
Also i think so far Flight Sim is the only game i have seen that even pushes gaming and technical innovation also forward.
They are overlooked because they are more pc oriented games, it's always been this way. Flight sim isn't the only game to do that but it does look really nice

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
All talk though... Everyone who was actually paying attention knew this was going to happen. Next gen is going to be insane.

Aug 26, 2018
So First Party is where Xbox has had some of their biggest issues this generation. It's something the organization has faced even after pivoting toward the S/X models and service features like BC. That's not to say everything they put out this generation has been some sort of dud, but it's been the weakest part of the Xbox Package. However after the Acquisitions and fostering of internal talent we are looking at a great first year for the rejuvenated brand.

The Xbox Game Studio rebranding happened earlier this year we have gotten and will be getting

Crackdown 3
Gears 5
The Outer Worlds

I personally had fun with Crackdown 3 however it's development issues and reception are as clear as day and it serves almost as a turning point as it's the final publicly facing project from the previous era of Xbox. Gears 5 and The Outer Worlds have come out to critical and commercial success giving two different types of experiences that both resonated with players.

Looking to the future from the brand we have

Ori Will and the Wisps
Minecraft Dungeons
Battletoads
Pyschonauts 2
Bleeding Edge
Grounded
Gears Tactics
Tell me Why
Wasteland Remastred
Wasteland 3
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Age of Empires IV
Halo Infinite
Everwild

Not only do all those games look great, but the diversity of them in terms of genre is just staggering. You have big AAA releases such as Halo, three RPGS, a narrative mystery game, and Platformers and beat em Ups all sharing space upon the same slate of games.

Next year was already a great game, but it's going to be even more insane to see all three of console makers firing on all cylinders and carving out unique idenenties and a variety of games and experiences..

Pretty remarkable indeed.

Is Age IV confirmed for 2020?

Aug 26, 2018
I'm afraid none of these will actually move a lot of units, but I guess it's better than nothing. Personally I have zero interest in them.

I am also very curious what they're gonna do with GP next gen. They are basically giving away games for free. This cannot be viable (not for MS and certainly not for the dev). GP only happened because MS is in the situation it's in.

Halo Infinite not gonna move units? I think a Minecraft Dungeons/Ori 2 bundle for the Holidays will move a lot of units by themselves especially with that Demographic.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think for medium sized games it's great and they are doing a great job at justifying Gamepass' existence.

would still love to see that great AAA game that is up there with the best of the industry. Gears was great but not at the same level as BOTW or God of War.

Hopefully they get there.

Joke Post? Gears is much bigger in Quality and Quantity.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I love AAA games. But with gamepass I've played more indies this year than I did the past ten years. It's incredible.

Apr 21, 2018
Why does this bother you.

It doesn't bother me I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I remember PSN games were amazing on PS3 then fell off a cliff without PS4, so I'm somewhat wondering if the quality of gamepass is an attempt at building goodwill, and when the service gains traction they either start stripping it back or they increase the price.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
It doesn't bother me I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. I remember PSN games were amazing on PS3 then fell off a cliff without PS4, so I'm somewhat wondering if the quality of gamepass is an attempt at building goodwill, and when the service gains traction they either start stripping it back or they increase the price.
This proves to me that it bothers you. Hopefully it doesn't and you can just enjoy the games you can play today and in the near future... good luck

Apr 21, 2018
This proves to me that it bothers you. Hopefully it doesn't and you can just enjoy the games you can play today and in the near future... good luck

On a video game forum, video game discussion is going to happen right? Game pass is kind of a disruptive approach to the typical software market so I am curious how it makes sense from a business perspective. The service is obviously fantastic but is it sustainable?

"Looks like it bothers you I hope you can just enjoy the games" is a pretty dismissive and passive aggressive response.

Am I wrong for being curious about it? Should I avoid discussing the video game business and market on a video game forum?

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Absolutely love what they're doing the services. And I can't wait for Ori. I think the direction of XGS is not something I'm personally interested in at this time given that lineup. Luckily I don't subscribe to the one console mentality so if something does come up I'll be there.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Then just cancel if its not up to your standards. Common sense things.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I love Microsoft but not any of these new exclusives are impressing me. I'll save my overall judgement for when they release, but I'm just not hyped about anything 1st party from them....even Halo Infinite.

I love what they're doing with GamePass and XCloud though. I fully commend them for the strides they've made there. I think Xcloud will bury Stadia (especially when they make the games run on a Scarlett).

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
User Warned: platform wars
I like GamePass, and that many of SquareEnix Games are coming for it, but i dont like many of M$ own Games, and i wish, or rather hope this to change in the future.

Microsoft is on a great path, but they still need to bring some big guns with Scarlet, cause honestly, everyone will be doing this kind of streaming/gamepass in future, and for me personally, Sony and Nintendo still have better games. But they have bought alot of studios, and we will have to wait a bit, and see what they can do under Microsoft.

Can't wait to see, what they have prepared for Scarlet and the future.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
On a video game forum, video game discussion is going to happen right? Game pass is kind of a disruptive approach to the typical software market so I am curious how it makes sense from a business perspective. The service is obviously fantastic but is it sustainable?

"Looks like it bothers you I hope you can just enjoy the games" is a pretty dismissive and passive aggressive response.

Am I wrong for being curious about it? Should I avoid discussing the video game business and market on a video game forum?
No one knows their "business" on how they handle gamepass and other affiliates. You keep doubling down as this is a negative. I gave you that pass I've aggressive response to mirror your thoughts. Your curiosity is a agenda to prove your thought process that they will fuck over anyone involved with the business.
lmao

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I like GamePass, and that many of SquareEnix Games are coming for it, but i dont like many of M$ own Games, and i wish, or rather hope this to change in the future.

Microsoft is on a great path, but they still need to bring some big guns with Scarlet, cause honestly, everyone will be doing this kind of streaming/gamepass in future, and for me personally, Sony and Nintendo still have better games. But they have bought alot of studios, and we will have to wait a bit, and see what they can do under Microsoft.

Can't wait to see, what they have prepared for Scarlet and the future.
M$? wtf.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Microsoft is literally performing flawlessly at the back end of this generation. They are poised to historically beast into the scarlet gen.

Apr 21, 2018
No one knows their "business" on how they handle gamepass and other affiliates. You keep doubling down as this is a negative. I gave you that pass I've aggressive response to mirror your thoughts. Your curiosity is a agenda to prove your thought process that they will fuck over anyone involved with the business.
lmao

Not sure why you assume I have an agenda here, or where you feel I've been aggressive. My curiosity is over how this business model works in comparison to the previous model, or if this model could actually replace the traditional model of individual game sales. I didn't mean to offend your console manufacturer of choice by considering their service/offerings "too good".

Nov 11, 2017
I think they're positioning themselves for next gen, going out feeding xbox owners with consistent games unlike the 360 ending

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Nobody talks about how Game Pass allows developers to unleash their creativity. There's no pressure for Everwild, for example, to have to sell 6-7 million copies in its debut to be considered a success. It's just another style of game to fill out the Game Pass library and appeal to a subset of the subscriber base.
That's an extremely good point and one I hadn't considered before!

Seconded. GamePass must be a relief, a weight off the shoulders that allows a slew of developers who might have not - to go full on buckwild, throw care and caution to the wind, and come up with something audacious. It's liberating. It's the stuff made of dreams, not just dollars and cents.

Phil Da God.

Now . . .
Gimme Fable.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
They are still missing one vital piece....PGR!

And no, Horizon isn't a replacement for PGR. PGR was an incredible track racer, that's something Horizon will never be able to replicate with its emphasis on open world racing.
I'd love to see Playground change it up and retire the Horizon series for a while if only to bring Project Gotham back.

I know the Horizon series does amazing sales numbers for them and I would still like to see Horizon in Japan but I think the open world formula's gotten a bit stale. Would like a bit more linear experience with worldwide tracks and a return of the kudos style system.

Don't get into the semantic of "not really a xgs title"... It's an MS franchise at the end of the day. Also Shingi_70 ...you missed Age of Empires III : Definitive Edition (which is probably coming out next year). Starting now, XGS will be producing 15 announced games (with more that we know are coming down the pipe). Anybody got some time that they are selling?

Theorry I agree, Age 4 and Flight Sim are 100% AAA titles that have huge fanbase. It's just the typical "Era" type darling games.
Outer Worlds seems a little murky to me in terms of who is in control of what. Do we know what publishing rights Private Division have for sequels and such? It feels a bit premature to say it's a MS franchise until they get full publishing ownership.

jobbe1978

Jan 18, 2018
Italy
I'm not a fanboy but...man...Phil Spencer should be cloned!

So many actions with so few chit chats.

Astounding job, really proud of this kind of industry veterans :)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Worlds seems a little murky to me in terms of who is in control of what. Do we know what publishing rights Private Division have for sequels and such? It feels a bit premature to say it's a MS franchise until they get full publishing ownership.

Obsidian owns the IP (wich offcourse MS owns now) Take Two owns the publishing rights of TOW. We dont know about if they have right for a TOW2 publishing wise. But they cant really do anything with it.
Obsidian wont make it of MS cant publish it and Take Two cant publish anything if nothing is made. So the only way to make some money out it is to sell the publishing rights in the future to MS. If they have publishing rights of TOW2.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Obsidian owns the IP (wich offcourse MS owns now) Take Two owns the publishing rights of TOW. We dont know about if they have right for a TOW2 publishing wise. But they cant really do anything with it.
Obsidian wont make it of MS cant publish it and Take Two cant publish anything if nothing is made. So the only way to make some money out it is to sell the publishing rights in the future to MS. If they have publishing rights of TOW2.
Yeah it was just murky to me on who would publish the sequels unless there was some sort of agreement made, otherwise both parties would be in an IP deadlock.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really good start for XGS, but they need to expand outside of the games I've seen from them.

I wouldn't be interested in half of the games that are coming from these studios, whether they're owned by Microsoft or not. For example I loved Hellblade from NT, but Bleeding Edge looks wack. Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2 and possibly Tell Me Why (depending on how the studio handles it) are the only games out of these that are on my radar.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
This is a really good start for XGS, but they need to expand outside of the games I've seen from them.

I wouldn't be interested in half of the games that are coming from these studios, whether they're owned by Microsoft or not. For example I loved Hellblade from NT, but Bleeding Edge looks wack. Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Psychonauts 2 are the only games out of these that are on my radar.
Alot of the studios have 2 or 3 teams. For example Bleeding Edge wasnt made by the Hellblade team.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
Joke Post? Gears is much bigger in Quality and Quantity.

absolutely not a joke post. I want Microsoft to be have game of the year worthy games again. I'm not trying to shit on gears, it's an amazing game. I just want a game of the year contender from them and before long I'm sure they will have it. The studio talent alone will ensure that.

Last edited: