• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thoughts on wearing masks in public, outside of public health reasons?

• I like wearing masks, and I think I look cool too!

Votes: 509 40.7%
  • I do not like wearing masks for any reason (I will stop wearing them after pandemic)

Votes: 610 48.7%
  • Other

Votes: 133 10.6%

• Total voters

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Note: this discussion is for outside of public health reasons. Please wear a mask and follow public health official guidelines.

I'm a guy but I really like wearing the mask. Not necessarily those surgical masks, but more black ones that make you look like a Ninja. For example, the one Bidens regularly wear:

merlin_172825401_23d3b28c-3530-4c65-88c5-943e5abfacf6-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

I enjoy the anonymity it provides and as an anxious fellow, I feel relaxed going into stores and places and feel completely at ease knowing nobody is judging me. This r/TwoXChromosome thread was also an impetus for me to create this thread

Screenshot-20210322-103120-Reddit.jpg

Please share your experience, how it has changed you or your interactions with others.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I don't like wearing masks outside of public health reasons. I hope it becomes a widespread thing during flu season going forward, but I am not like into the aesthetic at all. Plus, it extra super sucks if you ever exercise with a mask on, which I do because I'm conscientious, not because I have some belief that it makes me look cool. Breathing unobstructed outdoors tastes incredible to me now

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I enjoy having my face hidden so I might keep a mask handy in case I have to run errands so people will stay away from me.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I do actually enjoy wearing masks for similar reason (I don't like showing my face already, and also I complex a bit on the size my nose to be totally honest so...), masks had that nice side effect. It was somewhat annoying tho when teaching as I have trouble hearing certain students (or they have trouble hearing me).

But I might look into getting like a nice mask just for casual wear

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
i had to get gal bladder surgery last May (so fairly early in Covid relatively) and it was funny when a nurse that had seen me for a while finally saw me with my mask off and was like "oh you have a beard" lol.

at times I think it makes sense for privacy/almost anonymity, but you still lose a lot of subtle interactions and reactions while talking with out being able to see the mouth/face move. I think shopping/areas of tight crowds should make sense for as long as possible, (still healthwise) but not for everything.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It makes it harder to tell what nationality or race you are, especially coupled with glasses/sunglasses and hats

If there were masks that address various inconveniences like discomfort, fogging up glasses, obscuring lips for people who read lips, etc., then I'd be all for them at all times.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I have a dental issue that I'm kinda self-conscious about so I like masks for that reason. They eliminate an insecurity I have.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I plan on wearing a mask in certain situations moving forward. For example, crowded meetings at work would be a prime place to wear one. I wish more information would coming out about Project Hazel, that's the mask that I want.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I have certainly evolved on the issue. I used to be staunchly against face coverings in public from a place ostensibly of public safety. But now after seeing how little it has negatively impacted public safety I feel that I was being a bit racist or xenophobic about face coverings.

That said, I don't think they're particularly comfy in hot or rainy weather, but I enjoy the warmth they bring my face on a cold or dry winter day.

So it's a mixed bag for me. I will most likely keep wearing one on public transit for the foreseeable future, certainly much longer than my peers likely will. If this virus becomes endemic, then I see no reason to stop wearing one in public/crowded places. But at some point I would enjoy going to "normal" events without wearing one.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I feel more confident in public wearing a mask, which sounds a little strange.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Haven't caught a flu in over a year because of masks.

I think I'll continue wearing it, at least when at the office or when doing groceries.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see people feeling nice about the cloth or thinner masks that are the most common. My mask wearing over the past few years has been near exclusively heavy duty N95s, or a vented N95 for smoke, so, the ones most people use were like, pardon the pun, a breath of fresh air comparatively

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It makes it harder to tell what nationality or race you are, especially coupled with glasses/sunglasses and hats

If there were masks that address various inconveniences like discomfort, fogging up glasses, obscuring lips for people who read lips, etc., then I'd be all for them at all times.
well for fogging up, you just need masks that have the little metal piece that can pinch/seal the bridge of your nose, and lip reading - face shields.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy them. Makes going into public bathrooms easier since I don't need to hold my breath the whole time

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like wearing masks. Nor do I want to wear them in the future for non-health reasons.

That said, the fact that no one in my household has brought an illness home from work or school is a definite positive. No one getting sick or the flu or colds or anything in the past year has been a very welcome change from the norm.

Deleted member 90924

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Even as an uggo, I look forward to ditching the mask and returning to normalcy. Might still wear it to the store and stuff in flue season tho bc of what we found out about its effects this year

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I will fucking burn all my masks when the pandemic is over.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I like wearing it, and may continue after the pandemic in crowded places. Although the area I live(heavily red area of california), already has shitheads mocking people still wearing masks and a couple businesses have put up signs saying masks are banned in their business...not that I would ever go to those places anyway. Ive wondered if people will start being accosted in public for continuing to wear a mask.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
At the very least I'll be wearing one whenever I'm sick and need to pick up medicine.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I will not stop wearing them everywhere in the near future, but the moment it's not 100% obligatory (and, of course, it's safe for me and the rest of people) they're out of the equation for me.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Less random people talking to you or hitting on you. Get to feel like you're super undercover when you wear sunglasses too. It is getting a tiresome too though so I definitely wont do it when we don't have to.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it and wish it would be socially acceptable post-covid to just keep wearing one.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I'll wear them in super packed indoor public places like concerts or busses/trains. But otherwise they'll be largely unused.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand wearing a mask. It gives me a headache after a while. But, I have obviously worn it (correctly, and doubled up lately) this whole time. I don't know what I'll do in the future. I kind feel like I'll wear it throughout the flu season each year, but we'll see.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I do not like wearing a mask, but will wear them when I'm sick after the pandemic. I think that's one of the silver linings to the last year that in a lot of more liberal cities in the US and Europe, mask wearing will be common when someone feels a little under the weather.

Pre-2020, I'd occassionally see people wearing a mask in public, and it was unusual enough where you'd think like "Woah there must be something wrong with them..." or it'd be distracting or w/e. I think it'll be a good thing that wearing a mask when you're under the weather is a normal thing to do.

This won't last for ever though, I'd imagine it'll be similar to the 1918 flu where it was very common, and then basically fell out of public use after a few years.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Eh no. Unless I am sick and need to go out. Otherwise I'll get sick like humankind has for thousands of years and keep my immune system working I guess. I am ready to burn all my damn masks.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No thank you, if possible. But with all the crises facing the planet that no one is doing anything about, I expect we may not have a choice.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since I had to wear masks in public I haven't had one case of catching a cold. Not one. Every year prior I would catch a cold 2 or 3 times a year. I might continue wearing masks around people just for that reason alone.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
It doesn't look cool nor do I like it for any other reason. I think they'll become pretty normalised, though.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Ever since I had to wear masks in public I haven't had one case of catching a cold. Not one. Every year prior I would catch a cold 2 or 3 times a year. I might continue wearing masks around people just for that reason alone.
This is me as well.

I love wearing my mask I want it to be socially acceptable forever.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I wear a mask for no reason
Sounds like a social anxiety thing
When I can no longer wear a mask, and no longer have to worry about my glasses fogging, I definitely won't

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who wears glasses, I hate the shit out of wearing masks most of the time. If it wasn't for that, though, I wouldn't mind it at all.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait to never have to use them outside of maybe when I'm feeling ill or something. I hate wearing them and hate being in a place full of people wearing them.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I wear it because right now it is required and because I do not want to get or spread Covid but I will not wear one once we are not required to and Covid is under control.

Also, it has not stopped me from getting sick, I was sick 5 times last year despite wearing a mask, not going many places, not touching my face and using hand sanitizer after every store I left. My immune system is crap and I get sick easily. It's possible I had Covid last March but I couldn't get tested at the time, my Dr. just told me to stay home and go to the ER if I had trouble breathing.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
well for fogging up, you just need masks that have the little metal piece that can pinch/seal the bridge of your nose
I wish that fixed it. I dunno if my nose has a funny shape or what but this doesn't help me at all and I've tried so many different kinds. I also have super long bottom eyelashes and a lot of masks ride up and touch my eyelashes and I hate it!

That said, once I found the ones that fit me best, I love them and I'm definitely going to keep wearing masks in situations when I don't have to talk to people in public when I feel the need. If I have to talk to folks, it's different, because accessibility. But for like shopping or whatever? oh yeah.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm wearing one in the future whenever I get even slightly sick. I hope everyone else does too. We could cut flu and colds and other viruses spread to a fraction of what they are

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I got used to them already, so I'll keep using them from now on. I am not leaving my house without one ever for sure.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no issues with people wearing them when covid is done, I will not be wearing one tho.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had the common cold, don't have to worry about people recognizing me while I'm getting groceries, and don't have to worry about coffee breath all the time. I'm keeping this mask on for a bit longer lol

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

If you are talking about the past year I assume you have gone out significantly less and been in contact with way less people so that is probably more likely the reason you have not caught a cold. I am pro-mask in public, but I have been in contact with tens of thousands of less people this year (no public transit, no office, ect.) so that is likely why I have not gotten sick.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I always wear a mask in situations where I should. I don't groan about it and it doesn't really bother me. I'm doing my part and that feels good. However, I have no desire to continue wearing a mask once they say things can "go back to normal" and will not be doing so.