• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Given how critics love to overstate the quality of the writing and handwave the issues of gameplay, I think this game can potentially be terrible.

DotHair

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Oh dear...another 66-69 score from a MS owned studio. Not sure why they bought them before finding out if they make decent games?

I'll wait until this is free on PS+

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Contrast was nice, at least as a PS + game at the beginning of the generation. I thought with We Happy Few Compulsion Games would really take off.

But the technical flaws seem to be really annoying. Why CG? That seems like a long way to go...

Last edited:

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll wait for a sale and for the game to get patched. Glad to hear that they nailed the narrative aspect of it.

Can't read any reviews at the moment. Any word on how long to complete the campaign?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame.

I thought the game had hella-potential when initially revealed.

The setting and presentation looked so ace.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to hear the story turned out well, given both how this started out and how questionable the "happy pills" premise is.

The mechanics sound... not for me, though.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Tell that to bethesda games

Lol absolutely. As much as I've enjoyed the bulk of their output, Skyrim at launch comes to mind as one of the buggiest games I've ever played. (no idea how its progressed since then) I also recall that game scoring extremely well, so it seems the review process has been deeply flawed for a long time.

To be fair though, I don't recall running into any bugs in Fallout 4 and I dumped 150 hours into it on PC.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Doesn't sound great, given the time they've had to work on this, even with the rework. Was never a fan of Contrast, so I had kind of tempered expectations regardless, looks like I had good reason to.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who chronically did this in the past, why not just return it? You lose a little bit of the profit in return shipping but you make the bulk of what you spent back.
I normally would but I just returned a few things. Dont want to get on Amazons bad side with too many returns. Maybe I'll go ahead and attempt to play through it and just sell it after.

I love story in games so if it really is good then maybe I'll still like it despite the gameplay. I really just dont like supporting bad games and Im broke as it is lol

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
With the fall onslaught of games about to hit in less than a month, these reviews make it an easy pass.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
uhhh... Lot of judging being spread around here based on just watching a couple of hours of a Youtube Lets Play, no?

I mean, yeah. It's a much better way to assess quality than merely reading someone's opinion. At least you're able to see unedited footage and judge for yourself.

Edit: oops... failed at editing a post

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Oh dear...another 66-69 score from a MS owned studio. Not sure why they bought them before finding out if they make decent games?

Woof... pretty rough, not the best start for one of MS's new studios.

Another <70 Microsoft Studios game... Welp

For me this is ideal. I prefer larger publishers buying small studios that can improve over them buying bigger studios. WIth Microsoft's backing this studio could really build great games, just as Undead Labs has that potential, so for me this is ideal.
Now it's time for them to build and to improve.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Ooof I shouldn't have preordered this one. Preorder discount got me shook.

Well, I always thought the mechanics and the gameplay elements would suck ass but I'd love the world building and story. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
You will have the choice of the following three playthrough styles:

• Explorers (Birdwatcher): These gamers are story oriented or simply want to investigate the world but usually do not want to spend lots of time looking for food and water to stay alive, and are generally not looking for an arduous combat challenge.
  • Adventurers (Downer): These players prefer a more balanced gameplay with some challenge but not too much difficulty. They may or may not care about story but probably don't hate having it around them. In this setting the game is a blend of survival and traditional action game elements – pretty similar to the game that is currently playable.

• Survivors (Vigilante) : These gamers prefer the more hardcore aspects of survival games and love a punishing, if motivated, challenge. In this setting, the game increases the importance and demands of survival game mechanics.

I getting the game tomorrow and by reading the reviews it sounds like the best way to play the game is by playing the story mode on Explorers difficulty because you don't have to worry about the survival aspects of the game and since the reviews say the combat isn't great I could just breeze through the combat.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This game always seemed super misguided. It always felt like they just wanted to tell a story, but then the gameplay was bottom of the barrel survival gameplay. It never really meshed and it felt like they just picked whatever style of gameplay was trendy at that point and just phoned it in.

At least, that was my impression during early access, and it still seems to hold.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

Woof... pretty rough, not the best start for one of MS's new studios.

I wonder who has an agenda here...

These "MS's new studio" driveby comments are suspicious as shit....

Can't say i'm surprised.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's narratively everything I could hope for but suffers from bad gameplay. I think I can handle that, though.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
It has everything to do with MS.

They hailed the acquisition at E3 as a major coup, so they can't wash their hands of it now the reviews are mediocre.

They would sure be bathing in the reflective glory if it was reviewing as 90+.

The game was developed and pretty much finished by the time the announcement was made.

Gearbox is publishing it, it's just coming to the Xbox One.

Microsoft has very little to do with its quality.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

They hailed the acquisition at E3 as a major coup, so they can't wash their hands of it now the reviews are mediocre.

Sure, Microsoft would be really happy if the game had a 90+ metacritic score. But Microsoft has nothing to do with this game as Gearbox is the publisher. It's not as if Microsoft has had any say in the direction of the game, the budget of the game, etc.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

Probably because they recognize the talent of the developers to deliver a great story narrative experience, as most reviews here universally praise. With a larger budget and more resources, MS is betting they can produce nice products in the future

This isn't a Microsoft Studios game.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Eeeh, Will wait for a deep discount before I consider getting this (I was decently hyped before)

Hope they won't get any trouble from Microsoftfor scoring so low.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
66-69 is pretty much the definition of 'decent'. Not necessarily great, but not bad either.

Is it though? According to OpenCritic it's in the bottom 30% of all games reviewed on the site.

In any case, I'm still really intrigued by this game, but I'll definitely wait for a deep sale.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

no it's not The game was develpe in 2016 and MS bought them in June 2018....

So the game was in devlope before and even puplished by Gearbox

MS never Fund the Game

and it does not matter if it 70 or 90 this game is a to prove the studio's ability in making a good games and it seems the only make a good Story yet

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, had a feeling it would be spotty, I'm putting this on my Black Friday watch.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Whoever is making the OT should probably put "this game has nothing to do with Microsoft" in big flashing neon letters at the top of the page.

It won't work going by this thread.

But it's worth a try.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Probably because they recognize the talent of the developers to deliver a great story narrative experience, as most reviews here universally praise. With a larger budget and more resources, MS is betting they can produce nice products in the future

That's my takeaway from all this as well. Combining Compulsion's narrative abilities with MS's backing/budget and we could see some really great stuff in the future.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this thread would be such an effective litmus test for Sony fanboys lol.

Scores look about as expected. I'm glad to hear the story has so much care put into it. I'll try and play it at some point, it looks fun.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly people do some kind of research before shit posting. This is not a Microsoft published game.

On topic I like a good story so will check this out when it's cheap or on gamepass/psplus