• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EA had Star Wars Jedi gameplay demo.

Ubisoft had the Watch Dogs Legion demo.

And Square Enix had the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo.

Microsoft and Bethesda had 0 gameplay demos in their conferences (although Doom Eternal and Ori both got a trailer with some gameplay so there is that I guess?).

But the vast majority of games were shown through CGIs. Even already released and announced games.

We also had 0 big new IPs being announced with gameplay. Elden Ring, Deathloop, Ghost Wire, Gods and Monsters, Outriders, etc. All CG.

Even stuff that people were sure we would get gameplay like Halo Infinite, Gears of War 5 (even though we had a great gameplay presentation last year wtf), Cyberpunk 2077 (we got a 15sec gameplay glimpse I guess, yay), Avengers... all presented with CG.

Its pretty easy to see why this E3 is not being well received considering this situation.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft and Bethesda had 0 gameplay demos in their conferences (although Doom Eternal and Ori both got a trailer with some gameplay so there is that I guess?).

But the vast majority of games were shown through CGIs. Even already released and announced games.

What ? That's super wrong. A ton of games were shown with gameplay in the Xbox show.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Huh. Those numbers are pretty damning.

Games like Avengers and Cyberpunk that are out within a year should have gameplay. FF7 had a great amount.

If something comes out after next E3 I'm fine with a CG trailer.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
And the Watch Dogs Legion + Final Fantasy 7R sections were the best of this E3.

I don't think it is a coincidence.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I am just hoping most of those are playable so that gameplay video ends up on coverage or released by the studio themselves.

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
I think it's because the new consoles are right around the corner and devs think the CG stuff more accurately represents what their games will be like on new hardware...maybe.

NikkiNailZ

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk has another gameplay demo behind closed doors. Will be released to the public at Gamescom.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Lots of Doom Eternal gameplay was shown at Bethesda. But I agree it's really disappointing. I thought CG trailers were a thing of the past, but they've returned in a big way this year.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird with some games releasing early next year not having a single showing of gameplay, the most baffling one had to be Gods & Monsters. Would've loved to see some for Deathloop or Ghostwire Tokyo.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
As another poster on here said either some focus groups research suggested gameplay demos do more damage then good or most games just didn't have good gameplay to show. I'd imagine it's the first reason. Worst e3 in history imo. The death of gameplay demos. Hopefully Nintendo rectify this and next year Sony too.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure there were lots of gameplay in the Xbox conference.. not just lenghty ones and not the major games.

But overall yes, there has been lots of CGI trailers.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair when they show gameplay segment people say alot of times its to long or gonna pick the gameplay a part like crazy.
We did see alot of trailers with gameplay snippets tho. Also at the Xbox show. DBZ comes in mind, that new Tales game, all those indie games, Outer Worlds, Bleeding Edge, Fligh simulator, Minecraft Dungeons, Blair Witch

Last edited:

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the pre next-gen E3.

Too early to show next-gen games, too late to do and show something really surprising.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's nuts. Particularly with games that are coming out in a matter of months, too. I mean I know it's an extra strain on the devs to make vertical slices for trade shows, but how does something like Gears 5 not have any gameplay footage when it's coming out in September?

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Sad to say but what company wants to show early gameplay and risk getting torn to shreds by 'the internet' a CG or in game engine trailer is safer.

And you dont run the risk of your first reveal becoming gif fodder for months or accused of a 'downgrade'

We brought this on ourselves quite frankly.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread feels like a lot like self-reassurance for Sony not showing up at E3 this year.
Most of the games shown in the Xbox presser had gameplay snippets or were entirely recorded with gameplay segments.
The Outer Worlds, Bleeding Edge, Minecraft Dungeons, Battletoads, Psychonauts 2, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Tales Of Arise and more.

People are for some reason only focusing on the (bad) showings of Gears 5 and Halo Infinite. This thread is factually wrong.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
You should have checked the PC conf op : gameplay everywhere, almost no CGI trailers.

T'was quite good.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
FFVIIR and WD3 were the highlights for E3. Death Standing if you count that as well.

But yeah, that is abysmal and the MS conference was particularly guilty.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
As another poster on here said either some focus groups research suggested gameplay demos do more damage then good or most games just didn't have good gameplay to show. I'd imagine it's the first reason. Worst e3 in history imo. The death of gameplay demos. Hopefully Nintendo rectify this and next year Sony too.

Yea, I have a feeling that there's something or someone that's suggesting people have a better reaction to CG trailers. I'm not too pressed about it though. We get too see deep dives of the games eventually so doesn't have to be at e3

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another reason Nintendo is by far my favorite gaming company. I'm sure there will be tons of gameplay during their Direct, as usual.

But yes, this E3 has felt like a huge regression overall. It's a shame.

GamerForever

Oct 27, 2017
one reason must be all this downgrade disscussion if shown gameplay, can be bad press.

Personnally I liked the showing of the new watch dogs, cinematic trailer and gameplay.Good job Ubi, hope you dont downgrade the gfx😅

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UploadVR showcase and PC gaming show had a lot of gameplay despite mostly being in trailers.

But yeah I agree, the lack of gameplay demos shown is so sad. MS briefing was seriously lacking it. So much CGI and cutscenes. That is okay as long as they show a gamepaly demo afterwards, which they pretty much never did.

What ? That's super wrong. A ton of games were shown with gameplay in the Xbox show.

How many games was shown where they demoed the gamepaly, even someone on stage playing the game. Gameplay not being part of a trailer, but actually demoed the game there on stage?

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Doom Eternal had an extended gameplay demo shown on stage. There's no reason to exclude it from the list in the OP.

But yeah it's pathetic. I have no idea how anyone gets excited for a CGI trailer in this day and age.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Its always been like this in cross gen era. was the same before the PS4 and Xbox one, same before the PS3 and 360.

matzy

Jun 13, 2018
I had the same feeling - low on gameplay, high on CGI cut-scenes. I put it down to Sony skipping E3 this year, as they often had quite a focus on gameplay (unless my memory is failing me).

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMD had a little bit of gameplay. PC gaming show had some as well. KFG Showcase was pretty much 100% gameplay.

The main shows are all about them CG trailers. That's AAA marketing for you.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda meme situation, Witcher 3 downgrade controversy, Puddle Gate. Sadly I feel like we only have ourselves to blame. Gamers can be an ultra negative bunch.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i am conflicted about it, on one hand, sure it is boring and doesn´t say much when games are presented as CGI trailer...on the other hand, i don´t want those staged fake gameplay demos like Watch Dogs, The Division 1 or Anthem had...these are far worse because you already know that the games will never look and play like that.

maybe the industry shifts around to pure announcements at E3 with gameplay segments coming at a later date.

from pure announcements the E3 was still good

Doom Eternal release date
Ghostwire Tokyo
Deathloop
12 Minutes
Watch Dogs Legion
Cyberpunk 2077 release date
New Zombie Army Game
Elden Ring
Dying Light 2 release window
Final Fantasy 7 remake release date
and many more stuff

there is enough to play till the new consoles arrive for sure, even if some games on this list won´t have a 2020 release

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
I just cant excited over CGI trailers, for a first announcement OK, but if a game is supposed to release within the next 6-9 months I need gameplay. Really strange E3 this year...

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That's fine. I just want new announcements and cool cgi trailers. Don't need to see an extremely scripted gameplay segment that drags on forever.

They can release that separately any other day

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Showing so little of games that release in a few month was very strange. Also where the hell is my Call of Duty demo? Did not expect that they'd skip it

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's really strange since Watch Dogs and FFVII have been the most praised parts so far, very easy to forget a CGI trailer when you're watching dozens of them within a few days.
I thought in general we were moving towards a trend of showing games in action but this E3 seems like a setback for the industry. Or maybe E3 is such a low priority now that conferences are just a dumping ground for things that were going to be put on youtube anyway.