• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
So we got a new router nighthawk r45 I think. Set it up, wifi works but some weird stuff is not. For example, hardwired computers are fully functional, can use netflix, hulu, disney+, ect. My roku it would only let me run youtube(it's on wifi). I thought, maybe it's just the roku and hard reset it. Now Im in an endless loop of it never generating a code. What It was doing on apps like netflix and hulu before that was logging in, saying connected, but never loading the home pages. Erroring out with some kind of server error. Anyways I tried our phones as well. They say connected, I can make wifi calls ( only way I can call in the middle of nowhere), I can browse just fine, some apps work, but again netflix, hulu, streaming apps in general don't.

Troubleshooting I've done. Hard reset the modem,no change. Turned on qos ( didn't think it would work,but a few people suggested it online) didn't work, turned it back off. Made sure wmm was on, it was by default. Changed dns to Google, no change. Changed nat to open, no change. Tech support for netgear had me change the channels on both WiFis, no change. Tried both 5ghz and 2.4, no change. Tech support had me disable AX on the router, no change. Finally hard reset it again, no change. Additional side note, our WiFi camera works just fine.i also had my communications company bridge their modem to my router, no change. I can't think of anything else and we do have a new one coming Monday as a replacement and shipping back this one, or both if nothing changes, but I figured I'd toss it out there to see if anyone had this issue before.

Any thoughts or ideas network gurus out there?

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I kind of had a thought about ports to open but googling tells me most of the streaming apps use the same port as the internet? I'm no expert, just used to be a client systems technician for the air force and most of that knowledge has gone out the window from not doing it for so long.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like netgear firmware at work

I'm using r7000 and had to downgrade firmware to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

Spring

Oct 31, 2017
Get on a laptop and connect to the same wifi that your Roku & mobile devices are connected. If you're on windows, open cmd and run "tracert www.netflix.com". If you're on a mac, open terminal and run "traceroute www.netflix.com". Paste your result here or DM me.

Oct 27, 2017
You have a wireless laptop to test?

ping, tracert etc should be tried on the domain names and on IPs directly.

Netflix should just be using port 80 or 433. Although the apps might use other ports.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Two things you can try:
- make sure only one device in the network is doing routing functions. With networking it's always better to keep it simple. Have the ISP modem do all router, NAT, DHCP functions, and only connect your netgear as a wifi bridge or LAN switch (i.e., don't connect the ISP modem to the WAN port on the netgear, but to any of the other regular ports. If you use the WAN port then you are very likely doing double NAT which could be the cause of your issues.
- get a laptop and change its connection settings to use DNS servers you specify, and set 8.8.8.8 (Google) and 4.2.2.4 (CenturyLink), try again. Some ISPs don't allow you to use external DNS servers but will force to use their own, which sometimes go on the fritz

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I'd never touch netgear routers ever again - they are always a pain in the ass with lock ups etc. Just bought the netduma r2, and after flashing it with the latest firmware yesterday it was up and running in half an hour.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Disable any and all security features on the router first would be my suggestion. If things work fine after that work backwards from there.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Sounds like netgear firmware at work

I'm using r7000 and had to downgrade firmware to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44

I forgot to say I tried downgrading the firmware and it didn't change, but that was also my thought

Do what Spring suggested above.

Just for clarity though, it seems like you can browse and stream without issue on a wired connection from your computer to your netgear router, and this problem is only affecting wireless devices...is that correct?

If your ISP provided modem/gateway has Wi-Fi, bypass/power off your router and connect to the ISP's equipment and try those apps. If it works you can be reasonably sure it's a problem with the netgear router (multiple wireless clients not working on one piece of CPE and working on another generally indicates the CPE as the common point of failure). This is very, very likely a LAN issue, so your ISP is going to say it's your problem since other devices can access these services on a wired connection.

Yes wired connections work fine, and ISP modem wifi works fine, it's just a shitty product and the wifi sucks ass(note I work for the company)

Disable any and all security features on the router first would be my suggestion. If things work fine after that work backwards from there.

I keep forgetting things I checked. No security settings were set that I could find

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Get on a laptop and connect to the same wifi that your Roku & mobile devices are connected. If you're on windows, open cmd and run "tracert www.netflix.com". If you're on a mac, open terminal and run "traceroute www.netflix.com". Paste your result here or DM me.

Netflix should just be using port 80 or 433. Although the apps might use other ports.
I'll give this a try in the morning

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

I ran a traceroute app on my phone and took a picture, but apparently another thing that is messed up is uploading to imgur... Ugh... I'll do it from our laptop tomorrow

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
new router showed up... absolutely no change. If yall don't have any solutions my only option is to send them both back.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I can provide anyone that needs it the traceroute from the MAC, but I guess its not a good device to use as an example because it works... Phones and Roku still having the same issues though

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Install WiFi Analyzer on your phone and take a look at what your congestion/interference looks like on different bands. Could simply be a layer 1 problem...Your phones and Roku are unlikely to have radios as robust as your Mac. The radio configuration on the Netgear may not be playing nice with those devices (power, power save state, channel selection/width, permeability/location, etc.) or you might have some interference that those devices are having trouble compensating for. On that note, also make sure your ISP provided modem's WiFi is disabled.

If that doesn't turn up anything, set a DHCP reservation/static IP for the Roku and DMZ it to see if you've got a firewall issue, though don't leave it that way if it starts working.
downloaded it but have no idea what I am looking at. I actually did the DHCP reservation/DMZ with netgear support the other day and it did not fix the issue

Blindman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How far is your ROKU from your WIFI router?
Are you in a populated area where there are a lot of WIFI router around you?
What type of ROKU do you have?
As someone had asked before, is your ROKU on a 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ connection to the wifi router?
What is your subscribed bandiwdith?
What speed are you getting from Speedtest like fast.com?

How many devices is connected to your router?
What are those devices running while you try to access DISNEY+ and Netflix on your Roku?

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a QoS (quality of service) feature enabled on the router? Some routers have this on by default now and it can throttle services.

Are you by any chance using a DNS based VPN or running two routers?

Oct 25, 2017
It'll show you other access points/SSIDs, their signal strength, and what channel they are broadcasting on. Here's an example image:
TU-HX4NPq5GLdOY8KNVtw3tRWFTOWTsafpWzxJCwdZckpKlNQL27Dqr47rdefDNxhw=w1301-h697-rw

You want your router to look like "home" that's on channel 11, and not be in that mess that's going on between channels 4-6. Tapping on the icon towards the upper left that says 2.4G it'll switch to your 5GHz band (assuming your phone supports that standard) and show you the congestion on that band as well. 5GHz is great for throughput and has a more sensible channel layout that is less susceptible to interference, but generally struggles with range and with permeating through solid objects, so depending on the distance from your router to your Roku you may find mixed results.

Mobile devices and smart TVs/streaming devices also have limited memory/cache compared to something like a laptop, so less of of buffer to deal with packet loss from poor reception. Could be something else, but it's generally best to rule out layer 1 problems (physical layer) before worrying about firewall/traffic issues, especially if the issue is most prevalent on certain connection types or devices.

My area looks like the "mess" and my service is fine. I think this is not the issue at hand here.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
How far is your ROKU from your WIFI router? like 10 feet
Are you in a populated area where there are a lot of WIFI router around you? I live so remotely I can't use my phone if I have no wifi. 1 neighbor
What type of ROKU do you have? ROKU 2
As someone had asked before, is your ROKU on a 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ connection to the wifi router? tried connecting it to both
What is your subscribed bandiwdith? 10mb/1mb UP
What speed are you getting from Speedtest like fast.com? 8 down, just under 1 up

How many devices is connected to your router? 2 phones, normally 3 consoles but during this mess only 1, 2 hardwired PC's, two hardwired voip phones, wifi connected camera.
What are those devices running while you try to access DISNEY+ and Netflix on your Roku? If off of work, nothing on the other devices would be running. Work devices get turned off and voip phones take up less than 1/12th a mb per phone.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
It'll show you other access points/SSIDs, their signal strength, and what channel they are broadcasting on. Here's an example image:
TU-HX4NPq5GLdOY8KNVtw3tRWFTOWTsafpWzxJCwdZckpKlNQL27Dqr47rdefDNxhw=w1301-h697-rw

You want your router to look like "home" that's on channel 11, and not be in that mess that's going on between channels 4-6. Tapping on the icon towards the upper left that says 2.4G it'll switch to your 5GHz band (assuming your phone supports that standard) and show you the congestion on that band as well. 5GHz is great for throughput and has a more sensible channel layout that is less susceptible to interference, but generally struggles with range and with permeating through solid objects, so depending on the distance from your router to your Roku you may find mixed results.

Mobile devices and smart TVs/streaming devices also have limited memory/cache compared to something like a laptop, so less of of buffer to deal with packet loss from poor reception. Could be something else, but it's generally best to rule out layer 1 problems (physical layer) before worrying about firewall/traffic issues, especially if the issue is most prevalent on certain connection types or devices.
I wish I could upload pictures to imgur right now, but that is another issue with this. I will say that the only thing on the same as the router is the roku, and my printer is on 1. It does not look congested at all like the picture you sent.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
What local IP addresses are these WiFi devices receiving? It smells like an IPv6 issue on the LAN to me at a glance.

Use pastebin.com to paste text output of stuff for sharing.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Is there a QoS (quality of service) feature enabled on the router? Some routers have this on by default now and it can throttle services.

Are you by any chance using a DNS based VPN or running two routers?
QOS is auto off, but I did try it on just to see if that would do anything. It did not. I do not know the answer the second question, our work PC's run through a VPN but they are hardwired and also work if not connected to the company VPN.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
What local IP addresses are these WiFi devices receiving? It smells like an IPv6 issue on the LAN to me at a glance.

Use pastebin.com to paste text output of stuff for sharing.
I am not sure how to find the IP address for the phone I am using. I know some things, but I am bad at phone troubleshooting stuff.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
How about if you connect the roku direct to the ISP modem?
I am fairly certain this would work, out of pure laziness I don't know that I want to do this right now since my wife and I are both "working" so I can't really jump over her while she is working to be plugging and unplugging stuff. I know that the roku works on the old netgear I was going to get rid of and I believe it worked on the ISP modem when wifi was enabled.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I am fairly certain this would work, out of pure laziness I don't know that I want to do this right now since my wife and I are both "working" so I can't really jump over her while she is working to be plugging and unplugging stuff. I know that the roku works on the old netgear I was going to get rid of and I believe it worked on the ISP modem when wifi was enabled.
OK.... Hmmm..... Out there possibility, but maybe when you have time just try factory resetting your new router? Sometimes that's just easier to try first than diagnosing everything.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
OK, yeah if you have hardwired your Roku it isn't a wireless issue. We can move on from that. Disable wireless on the netgear, disconnect all hardwired devices from the netgear except the Roku, then test again. Should help identify if it is bandwidth related...8/1 isn't a very big pipe for streaming video unfortunately. If still no go, then we look for IP/routing issues.
I could do this, but I know its not this. We had no problems using streaming channels on 2 devices at once on our ancient netgear.
OK.... Hmmm..... Out there possibility, but maybe when you have time just try factory resetting your new router? Sometimes that's just easier to try first than diagnosing everything.
plugged it in because I love you, factory reseting the roku again to it prompts me for network connecting

Green

Oct 27, 2017
192.168.1.5 I think? phones in DHCP mode

Ah, alright so might not be that, then. Not sure if there's even an option to disable IPv6 on your nighthawk...

Are you able to manually set your DNS on your phone? Try either 8.8.8.8 for Google, or 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare. This should bypass whatever your router/modem might be doing. More testing/info is good.

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, alright so might not be that, then. Not sure if there's even an option to disable IPv6 on your nighthawk...

Are you able to manually set your DNS on your phone? Try either 8.8.8.8 for Google, or 1.1.1.1 for Cloudflare. This should bypass whatever your router/modem might be doing. More testing/info is good.

Not sure this would explain why one device is fine, but another is not.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I'd never touch netgear routers ever again - they are always a pain in the ass with lock ups etc. Just bought the netduma r2, and after flashing it with the latest firmware yesterday it was up and running in half an hour.

The good ones don't suck and are among the best for custom firmware.

Blame firmware before hardware, yes it makes that much of a difference on a router.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017

Tried this, and tried setting my phone to a different manual IP. no change at all.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
First thing I do with any router is get rid of the stock firmware. Well I make sure I buy one that can first lol

In your case you can install Merlin.

I use DD-WRT whenever possible. My uptime on my Netgear R7 router is 200~ days. Only had to reboot once for cable management thanks to my cat. It'd be closer to a year otherwise.

Maybe look into swapping firmware. It's easy enough, esp. for Merlin.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
<3

Eager to hear the results
Hey it gets weirder! hardwired the roku activated, logged into netflix, plays videos. I unplugged, connected to wifi, tried logging into hulu and disney, it stalls out. BUT netflix still works...like it remembers how it got through to netflix but can't figure out how to do the other apps once on wifi.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
First thing I do with any router is get rid of the stock firmware. Well I make sure I buy one that can first lol

In your case you can install Merlin.

I use DD-WRT whenever possible. My uptime on my Netgear R7 router is 200~ days. Only had to reboot once for cable management thanks to my cat. It'd be closer to a year otherwise.

Maybe look into swapping firmware. It's easy enough, esp. for Merlin.
this sounds a bit over my head, am I dumping Merlin into where you add firmware in the default webportal? I did try downgrading firmware with no changes.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
this sounds a bit over my head, am I dumping Merlin into where you add firmware in the default webportal? I did try downgrading firmware with no changes.
What is your exact model number? Merlin is pretty much just a more stable & feature-laden Netgear firmware.

I'll see if I can help you.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
let's rewind a bit. what was the setup before you added this router? i have doubts that this is firmware related.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I appreciate everyone help in here, I truly do. I want to jump out a window over this. lol I Hope I am doing my best with what you all give me, but I am no expert, just good at following instructions and used to do some of the basics of this in my military job and tech support days.

OP
OP
sgtnosboss

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
let's rewind a bit. what was the setup before you added this router?
ISP modem to Netgear(no clue what kind, I think its an oldddd Nighthawk, my ISP gave it to me free since I work for them when we had wifi issues on their modem wifi) router that had 2.4 and 5ghz setup. Worked fine, still works fine if I plug in the old one.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
ISP modem to Netgear(no clue what kind, I think its an oldddd Nighthawk, my ISP gave it to me free since I work for them when we had wifi issues on their modem wifi) router that had 2.4 and 5ghz setup. Worked fine, still works fine if I plug in the old one.
have you tried looking at the settings of the old
router and mirroring or looking for something set up out of the ordinary? my guess is that your original setup was not as simple as modem in bridge and router as a gateway. sounds like your modem and new router have conflicting setups.