• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am so against dubbing in general on principle, but ESPECIALLY here in spain. I always insist to family and so to avoid the dubs like the plague, but it's almost like a point of pride for them at this point. like you don't have to learn a language, but I can't comprehend wanting to engage with a butchered piece of media over pride and complacency. subtitles are always such a preferable experience. Oh well... their loss..
... But this is a video game. They are giving voice to characters that do not exist. It is exactly the same process they have done in English but, you know, in another language.

It is no more "butchered" than reading subtitles in Spanish.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
So, apparently, I discovered this dub was made in London.

Which is a fucking baffling decision to make.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the dub is from spain , always awful ( with the exception of the borderlands games ) , latin dub is much better

Look, don't start this, please. Spain has put out some good work on the dubbing front, similar to Latin America. So please don't do this...

EDIT:

So, apparently, I discovered this dub was made in London.

Which is a fucking baffling decision to make.

Worth noting we've had a couple dubs done in the United States, specifically in LA, California (initial Detective Conan dub was don here), Texas, and Miami, Florida (a number of Netflix Spanish dubs). Some of these dubs have known Latino actors, too (usually from the Mexico area). So while not unheard of, quality of these dubs varied, but that's anywhere really.

Miami's dubs I heard often tended to be better if they weren't handled by Netflix, which also makes sense given what I heard happened with them on another dub in English by Netflix (the Miami studio did a number of retakes, but what Netflix often was ignored the retakes and would just use the first one, since they'd mix the audio elsewhere. If this is the same process that Netflix did with their Spanish dubs at the same studio, this would explain a LOT).

Still, that is a curious... situation, given how close Spain is in proximity to the UK, so...

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds to me like every single dub we get here, so that's why I avoid them like the plague.

I can't remember the last time I played a game in Spanish. Probably... well, never, probably.

Sony and Ubisoft dubs are really good. For example we got Rusell Crown's dub actor in Spain as Bayek in AC:O and Spiderman PS4 got the same dub actor than the MCU one. Horizon is also very good. There's a lot of good examples.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
... But this is a video game. They are giving voice to characters that do not exist. It is exactly the same process they have done in English but, you know, in another language.

It is no more "butchered" than reading subtitles in Spanish.
but it is still acting? the new dubs aren't under control of the original creative team, they don't reflect and often can't match the original vision. this is true for video games as much as for anime or, yes, film - I would much rather the original performances that were strictly supervised and thoughtfully crafted than some slapdash localised rendition that likely won't do the original justice

this isn't always true of course; the most famous example is cowboy bebop's english dub often being held up as superior to the original, or some localisation teams going to great lengths to match and respect the original creative work, like with God of War 2018's dubs. but that doesn't change the reality that, in most cases, dubs are simply subpar to the original work

Oct 27, 2017
Sony and Ubisoft dubs are really good. For example we got Rusell Crown's dub actor in Spain as Bayek in AC:O and Spiderman PS4 got the same dub actor than the MCU one. Horizon is also very good. There's a lot of good examples.

Not saying they aren't good, though. I'm saying that they don't sound good to me.

The same happens to me with movies and TV series, though. I just don't like dubbing in Spanish. And in general, to be frank.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
I still remember spanish dubs like Alan Wake that were marvelous. But lately I dont know whats happening, a little off-topic, but the spanish dub for Apex Legends was hilariously bad ( at least compared to his english counterpart)

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake was quite good. And usually first party Sony games has really good dub work.

Honestly a lot of the 90s our Spanish dubs weren't very good but they were much better than this.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
love this youtube commentary box with latins just shitting on spanish dubs

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just that the dub is bad. Is also of incredibly low quality. Like if it was recorded inside of a tin can.

Sony's are pretty much the only games I play in Spanish in certain cases. Like Horizon.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
So, as someone who does not normally play games with the spanish dubbing as I speak English, was Quantum Break similarly bad? If not does this reflect the lower budget this game likely has?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, as someone who does not normally play games with the spanish dubbing as I speak English, was Quantum Break similarly bad? If not does this reflect the lower budget this game likely has?
Quantum Break did not receive dubbing in Spain. Xbox One sales were so low that Microsoft stopped dubbing things here.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Quantum Break was not dubbed. You can probably find other AA games with a much better dub or at least passable.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I hope you can choose voice language and text language separately or this is gonna be a problem.

There should be an option to change it although some developers lock the language in the game to the one selected in the console. Even if it doesn't include different languages on the disc nowadays you can download a language pack in a matter of minutes.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017

Glio already replied to you, but the spanish Dub for the first Max Payne (made by Remedy as well) was the shit (not for the sequel, which was a hot mess)

Galava

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
This dub is insulting to the great dubbing industry Spain has.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Gasps-in-spanish.gif

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
me, i'm suprised that people seem to be thinking that the english version is all that much better. still interested in the game, but the voice work instantly became a huge negative for me from the first time i heard it...

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did they even try? Excusing the absolutely terrible performance of the actors, they didn't even try to sync the movements with the facial animations. This dub is somehow worse than the ones games used to get in the PSX era. In fact I can't think of any non-shovelware game that has a worse dub.

Sounds like a typical latin vg dub to me.

It's almost as bad as this gem. Holy fuck, how did this happen

Well that's atrocious. Also I miss GamesAjare. At least Anait is still alive

How does the dubbing compare to Quantum Break and Alan Wake?

Alan Wake was good actually. But miles away from OG English voices. Also the same team did a lot of first party MS games back in the 360 days.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
Just to give some info about how localization works.

Usually is the publisher who deal with the localization, not the developers, so in this case 505 are to blame if they hire a cheap studio. The developers send the original audio files, and some spec targets that are to be met by the sound engineers. These are different for each game, and some times there are some requirements that are stupid and make the dub worse but hey, the client ask for one thing and so you deliver. Also when doing the original voice acting I suppose that there is someone in charge trying to give it a certain direction and make it cohesive, but when dubbing, although there is a director on the booth, you really have to do it very fast and many of the times the directors know nothing about the game.

And on the topic of latin vs spanish... I think is quite often that one company does both, at least it was like that in the place I used to work. The audio was recorded in Mexico and then sent to us (in Spain) where it has to be processed in order to meet the requirements that are made by the client, so there are rally no big differences between them. There are great actors in both countries and in the end it is the client who defines the quality of the product...

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit...I thought you were over reacting but, it's indeed god awful.
That "conserje" guy is clearly not from Spain though, since some words are not pronounced correctly.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Idk about y'all but I eat up bad spaniard spanish dubs. Will deliver a lot of hilarity to me. Idk why folks need to bitch about Spanish or Latin dubs. I've been consuming media in both since forever, ignoring my spanish half of the family from the equation, its never bothered me to hear the switch. It's no more jarring than jumping from a show made in Dominican Republic to Mexico to Colombia.

Y'all need to do better, though I'll concede that I wish Pokemon would have a latin spanish translation. Some words or phrases just go over my head :(.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever Spanish dub translation issues arises, I always remember fast and furious movies are called "a todo gas" in Spain. Hilarious.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Whenever Spanish dub translation issues arises, I always remember fast and furious movies are called "a todo gas" in Spain. Hilarious.
Eh, that I don't have much of an issue with. It's part of localization, unless they change it so much it straight up doesn't make sense (Cristal Jungle made sense for Die Hard 1... not really for the rest of them), A Todo Gas still is car-related, so it's not really bad per-se.

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" being localized as "Forget me!" should've been prosecuted though.

Oct 27, 2017

Well, it's more of localization than a straight translation. You're taking an idiom in English and exchanging it for one in Spanish that has similar connotations. It's not a bad adaptation, strictly speaking. It just sounds a bit dumb.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
Wow... It's really low budget. Not only the VA, but it seems like the voice track hasn't been processed in any way. Super weird.

I bet they will answer the complaints (if they do), "well, Quantum Break didn't have dub and you moaned all over the place, now at least you have one"... Although I guess this has nothing to do with Remedy, it's the publisher...

We could make another topic about what we do with movie titles. It's amazing.

Although, I must say, I've been living in France for a while now, and I have seen they do the same, or even worse.

I'll never understand marketing rules...