• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zoggy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You guys have discussed all of infinity war but not this point.

Was cap right and or justified in his principle belief? Vision even called out his hypocrisy because of how cap sacrificed himself to bury the tesseract. Hell the grenade scene in the first avenger also makes him a hypocrite.

Is killing one innocent person ok if it saves 2? 100? 1000? How about half all in the universe?

Killing vision didn't save anything because thanos just cheat codes out of it anyways. But what if he couldn't?

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Was cap right and or justified in his principle belief? Vision even called out his hypocrisy because of how cap sacrificed himself to bury the tesseract. Hell the grenade scene in the first avenger also makes him a hypocrite.

Is killing one innocent person ok if it saves 2? 100? 1000? How about half all in the universe?

Killing vision didn't save anything because thanos just cheat codes out of it anyways. But what if he couldn't?
But Cpt didn't bring his self-sacrifices up for discussion for the group to decide, he just did it. Vision should have found a way to destroy it himself if he was serious.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's a philosophy born out of his extreme idealism. It's wrong, but it's a core part of who he is as a person.

If someone is willing to lay down their life to protect others, and there's no other viable option, you allow them their choices.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
He's not an hypocrite, he's simply willing to take his own life to save other people, but not willing to take someone else's life. He cares mother about others than about himself, that's all.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
It's extreme idealism.

Kind of a dumb belief realistically.

He's Ned Stark. Luckily, the MCU isn't Game of Thrones or he'd have been chewed out and killed within his first movie.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's extremely dumb. You don't trade lives, but you allow an entire army to fight and get killed just to save one person willing to sacrifice themselves. It's very stupid.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This was equally as aggravating to me as Starlord screwing everything up.

Oct 25, 2017
First Avenger Cap wasn't very smart and those traits are still there. But yeah basically it's okay when he does it, but he won't let others do it if he can see another way.

I just wish they made a better argument.

This was equally as aggravating to me as Starlord screwing everything up.
Statlord is in a league of his own.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Captain America -- only slightly more dumb and naive than Ned Stark.

His refusal to let Vision willingly sacrifice himself doomed half the beings in the known universe.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's why "Whatever it takes," is the theme for Endgame. Thanos was willing to do this, but the Avengers weren't.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Cap is an idiot. This has been known. He played with too many lead toys as a kid.

Last edited:

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The portrayal is pitch perfect, and exactly how Cap should be portrayed. You may not agree with his philosophy, but that's true to the character.

Dec 2, 2017
"Because the strong man who has known power all his life, may lose respect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength, and knows... compassion."

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keeps up with the main thing in Civil War of Cap's stubbornness causing more problems than it solves. Should've just said their last goodbyes to Vision and destroyed the stone.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
This entire argument becomes pretty much mute anyway since Thanos reversed time once he got the time stone anyway, which he probably would've done even if they killed him earlier

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cap is the only American officer trying to actually keep other folks alive and y'all like "Okay but...."

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Wanda being 'in love' with a robot man basically fucked over half the universe.
Should have given him a kiss, shared one last "I love you (Maybe Tony can make me a new one?)", and blasted the stone right then and there when they were all standing around talking about it.

...BUT THEN WE DONT HAVE A MOVIE, etc. etc. etc., so it's all good! :D

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the difference is, as the movie says, Vision isn't the one who pays that price. Cap was willing to die to save countless lives because there was no other choice and it was a price only he could pay, but Vision is in a different situation entirely. Not only is it likely there was a way to destroy the Mind Gem without killing him, he couldn't destroy the Mind Gem himself. Wanda had to pay that price and she didn't want to.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reason the emotional reaction to killing innocents is that, in the real world, you generally operate on uncertain information.

And, more generally, when you "need" to kill an innocent to "save" <number> others, it's someone making a threat. (That may also be imagined, see human sacrifices)
And, in that angle, generally giving up the said someone is negotiating with terrorists - that's what trading lives means.

Therefore, someone willing to trade lives is short-sighted - Killing one to save a hundred, and to perpetuate a framework in which that needs to happen.

Not killing innocents is an extremely well-ingrained ethical valued for very good reason, and Cap is rightly stubborn on it. If it was such a good idea, Vision would've suicided efficiently.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it a little ironic that a group called the Avengers wouldn't, "trade lives"? Isn't that what avenging something is?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanda being 'in love' with a robot man basically fucked over half the universe.
Should have given him a kiss, shared one last "I love you (Maybe Tony can make me a new one?)", and blasted the stone right then and there when they were all standing around talking about it.

...BUT THEN WE DONT HAVE A MOVIE, etc. etc. etc., so it's all good! :D

Quill being in love with Gamora basically fucked over half the universe.
Gamora's love for Nebula fucked over half the universe.
Stark's plan of taking the Time Gem to Thanos and using it to defeat him not only backfired horribly but fucked over half the universe.
Strange refusing to just destroy the Time Gem fucked over half the universe.
Loki saving the Space Gem from Ragnarok fucked over half the universe.

The list is quite extensive if you want to blame fictional characters for how the plot plays out in a movie.

Deleted member 45211

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Comic books, in my opinion at their best, get us to ask important questions about life and about humanity.

The question of "trading lives" obviously centers on a society's view of morality -- do you believe that actions are morally good/bad based in and of themselves (deontology) or do you believe that actions are only good/bad based on their results (consequentialism and ultimately utilitarianism).

Now you can read tons of philosophical works on this. But for our daily use, you can watch this fantastic series of lectures from Yale University for free. The ones that address Captain America's decision are videos 12, 13, and 14. I recommend the whole playlist though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K60AdYPVNWk&list=PL3F6BC200B2930084&index=12

Number 14 focuses on The Trolley Problem, which I'm sure many of you know and which is all about "trading lives."

The cool thing about this course and these lectures is that they introduce the philosophy but they also use some empirical data to gain insight into what our culture's moral code really is, and where it might come from. Videos 17 and 18, if I recall correctly, are great for this.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Quill being in love with Gamora basically fucked over half the universe.
Gamora's love for Nebula fucked over half the universe.
Stark's plan of taking the Time Gem to Thanos and using it to defeat him not only backfired horribly but fucked over half the universe.
Strange refusing to just destroy the Time Gem fucked over half the universe.
Loki saving the Space Gem from Ragnarok fucked over half the universe.

The list is quite extensive if you want to blame fictional characters for how the plot plays out in a movie.

Right, but we are talking about this specific "we don't trade lives" scene, mate... yeah?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's especially dumb because Vision isn't even Human and the character bores me to tears. No one gives a shit if Vision dies.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it a little ironic that a group called the Avengers wouldn't, "trade lives"? Isn't that what avenging something is?
Well yes, but actually no.

Avenging is taking a life after someone has died. So it's a life trade in that sense. But what Cap was talking about was sacrificing someone to save lives. Which, ironically, is a far more moral thing to do than avenging lost lives.

But Cap doesn't care about what's moral, he cares about what's idealistic. Also the name Avengers was just chosen to sound cool: it's not actually a good job descriptor.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yes, but actually no.

Avenging is taking a life after someone has died. So it's a life trade in that sense. But what Cap was talking about was sacrificing someone to save lives. Which, ironically, is a far more moral thing to do than avenging lost lives.

But Cap doesn't care about what's moral, he cares about what's idealistic. Also the name Avengers was just chosen to sound cool: it's not actually a good job descriptor.

seems a pretty apt descriptor for right now in the MCU.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's especially dumb because Vision isn't even Human and the character bores me to tears. No one gives a shit if Vision dies.
Rocket isn't human either. Human =/= worth. We've had the "ARE ANDROIDS PEOPLE?!" argument in fiction for decades, and it has always boiled down to the same revelation. He emotes, he thinks, he feels compassion, he jokes, he acts of his own accord. He's a person.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lesson of Infinity War is pretty much "sometimes you can't solve a problem without making sacrifices." Cap is too idealistic and his idealism is one of the things that kills trillions of people.

Endgame is absolutely going to continue that theme - world's not so simple, boyscout. Only question is who makes that sacrifice.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Again

Why are some people acting like Cap's decision had any bearing on how things played out. Once Thanos got the time stone it literally wouldn't matter when they killed him.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they had destroyed the mind stone, Thanos and crew was still coming to earth (because how were they gonna know it was destroyed). A fight still would have ensued.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's a pretty shitty thing to say.

I was in the military, most officers are good, if a little annoying in general.
The American military complex is a monumental meat grinder for those it enlists and those it targets, one that continues to get away with the atrocities it does under the guise of conservative paranoia, nationalism, and xenophobia. American police have been made up of white supremacists since the occupation's inception and leave little in the way of proper checks of power and judicial oversight, meaning they are effectively free to kill as many of my folks as they see fit with applause from a lot of this country's citizenry.

The system is absolute trash from top to bottom regardless of the moral values of any individual person caught up in it. And I say this with my mother and both dads having been in the military.

The reason Cap is so inspiring to me, the reason why he's my favorite Avenger, the reason I consider him my Superman, is because he is an extreme exception to the rule of reality. He truly lives his life by those inspiring American ideals I have ultimately stopped believing in a long time ago. If the dude showed up to my house today I wouldn't internally cringe in fear about whether or not he's one of the "good ones."

Last edited:

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes killing 1 to save more than 1 is justifiable

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any hypocrisy in it - Cap would prefer a fight to preemptive sacrifice.

It's not that he's against jumping in front of a bullet, but he's against surrendering one person to spare others.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
The American military complex...

tenor.gif

If that's how you feel, ok.