• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Love people trashing the netcode for a game that has more content than has ever been in this kind of game. We really don't deserve it.

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Oh God please no, ultimate is already going that route. We need more deep cut Nintendo characters not trash like joker

Thankfully, Nintendo does not think like you do. Actually far from it. :)

Please explain the historical impact somebody like joker has had on the gaming industry or to nintendo, I'll wait.

It's just a game dude. Historical impact? Does Nintendo pay you guys to act as gatekeepers or something?

Oct 27, 2017
Smash is videogame history, a tribute to this medium and a fantastic game at the same time.

We'll never see something like this again in the future, it's impossible. Enjoy smash ultimate until it lasts, next smash can only disappoint after this and it'll be a shame.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every fe rep is more niche than any of those 4 then by sales numbers. Kid icarus is niche too then. And ice climbers. And terry. And hero, in the west. And shulk.

Yeah no haha.
Kid icarus, Ice climbers and Shulk are, forgot about those.
But we have to wait for three houses sales to determine if the IP is still niche and lol at hero and terry being niche, the west is not the world pal.
Samus alone is more niche than even Shulk, Joker, and Olimar, only dead Ips like Ice climbers are more niche than Metroid.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
It's my favorite game in the series. I DO want more first party characters, but I'm satisfied with how amazing it currently is, and am amazed that we're getting more.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
If only the online was good.

Also, no SMASH FANS DON'T DESERVE Ultimate. Because no matter what the team does nothing is ever fucking good enough apparently.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What world do you live in?

A world where Xenoblade is now a million seller and very possibly a 2 million seller in the not so distant future and judging by the recent direct, a franchise that Nintendo wants to rise more.
A world where Persona 5 is now above 2 million and rising.
A world where Pikmin sells above one million with every game.
Metoid is none of these things.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A world where Xenoblade is now a million seller and very possibly a 2 million seller in the not so distant future and judging by the recent direct, a franchise that Nintendo wants to rise more.
Okay? The original metroid and prime both sold nearly 3 million. Prime 3 sold a little under 2, and super metroid. Prime 2 and fusion sold over a million. Only the two remakes and other m didn't. Where are you getting metroid as the most niche thing?

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay? The original metroid and prime both sold nearly 3 million. Prime 3 sold a little under 2, and super metroid. Prime 2 and fusion sold over a million. Only the two remakes and other m didn't. Where are you getting metroid as the most niche thing?

Well I was wrong, more than a decade ago Metroid was selling more than 2 million and the original sold nearly 3 million.
Lets see what is happenig now... Mmmm

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
What does the former have to do with the latter?
It's just sad and frustrating that a company can create one of the greatest, most feature-filled games of all time, but people will brush it aside and say "but the netcode!"

The netcode isn't great, but that's not really what this post is about. It's like serving someone the best steak they've ever eaten in their entire life, and that person says "I deserve a better steak, this steak was advertised as 6 oz, and I only got 5.99 oz."

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was wrong, more than a decade ago Metroid was selling more than 2 million and the original sold nearly 3 million.
Lets see what is happenig now... Mmmm
The first two pikmin came out over a decade and a half ago, and pikmin 3 six years ago. And let's see whats happening when prime 4 comes out, or an actual non remake. Not sure what beef you have with metroid to make up numbers.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just checked the official website, beholding the banner in all its glory, when I chuckled at how Terry is placed next to Pokemon Trainer — looks like he's standing next to his younger self:

trainerandterryl2jsk.png

But yes, this game is incredible. And fantastic OP!

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Metoid is none of these things.
what the fuck, seriously
Metroid has had a number of multi million selling entries, for starters (and at least 15 million sales for the entire series)
and it's been around for almost 35 years, and Samus is one of the most well known female videogame heroine ever
Actually she was the most well known (and granted, sadly, because one of the too few examples) until Lara Croft turned up
And Nintendo has rebooted Prime 4 to make sure it's worthy of its name, a remake of Metroid 2 came out not long ago and another 2D episode is most likely in the works, so yeah they're interested in the future of the franchise. It's not freaking F-Zero.
Stop making shit up

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first two pikmin came out over a decade and a half ago, and pikmin 3 six years ago. And let's see whats happening when prime 4 comes out, or an actual non remake. Not sure what beef you have with metroid to make up numbers.

I dont have a beef, I love Metroid, Im just stating the reality that we are now. Metroid is a niche franchise.
When Metroid Prime 4 releases and sell amazing then, the franchise will no longer be niche.
Also I called Pikmin a niche franchise too.
Simple.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck, seriously
Metroid has had a number of multi million sellers entries, for starters
and it's been around for almost 35 years, and Samus is one of the most well known female videogame heroine ever
Actually she was the most well known (and granted, sadly, because one of the too few examples) until Lara Croft turned up
And Nintendo has rebooted Prime 4 to make sure it's worthy of its name, a remake of Metroid 2 came out not long ago and another 2D episode is most likely in the works, so yeah they're interested in the future of the franchise. It's not freaking F-Zero.
Stop making shit up

Im talking about the now, not 35 years ago, not 35 years into the future. NOW.
Today, Metroid is a niche franchise.
Its historically important ? No doubdt
Samus is one fo the most recognizable female characters in histoty? Of course.
Is the franchise niche in the year 2019 ? Yes.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by trolling
I hate the Smash Series with a passion.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had problems with the online code.

Some of you need to try Brawl online to stop with the hyperbole.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cant agree. When 1/100th of the effort theyve made to the content goes to the online then well talk.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had problems with the online code.

Some of you need to try Brawl online to stop with the hyperbole.
Lmao i cant believe anyone with a straight face thinks the bar is so low with online that we have to go back to 2008 wii, two gens ago, before we can complain about how bad online is. That alone is the best argument one can make about the state of smash online play.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It has its flaws like any game --I think that much is obvious and doesn't really need stating. It's also certainly not for everyone. But I do agree with the idea that it is a very generous game. Not in the narrow sense of quantity of content but mainly in the amount of passion that went into each and every character. You can really tell there's a great deal of appreciation and dedication behind the designs. None of the characters feels like an afterthought or filler, and despite the diversity of game/genre backgrounds that had to be overcome, everything feels really cohesive. It's really admirable what they achieved.

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
We sure don't, especially in light of how horrifically toxic and vitriolic so much of the Smash community often is. We don't deserve Smash Ultimate, and we definitely don't deserve Sakurai. We probably never will, haha.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao i cant believe anyone with a straight face thinks the bar is so low with online that we have to go back to 2008 wii, two gens ago, before we can complain about how bad online is. That alone is the best argument one can make about the state of smash online play.
But the online isn't bad, at least in my experience, but keep the hypebole going once again if it makes you feel better.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
It's honestly insane how much content they managed to pack into this game. Really hope the next console is backwards compatible with Switch games because I feel like this really is going to be my favorite Smash Bros. forever. I just don't see how it can be topped

OP
OP
Christo750

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I think it's pretty related to why "We Don't Deserve Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
If people would actually read this OP and see I'm talking about the museum nature of Smash and not netcode that drastically improves once you get a lan adapter, then you'd see that no, it's not related. I have my complaints with online but to say that the overall game isn't fun because of it and these characters don't feel good to play is ridiculous.

OP
OP
Christo750

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Here's another example of why we don't deserve Smash, related to Spirits:

Here's artwork from Super Mario Land on Game Boy. Super low res, and really the only thing we had since '89.

Now look at the Smash Ultimate Spiti:

Higher resolution, more clarity, fixed colors. Nobody was knocking at any door to get this updated until Sakurai wanted it for Smash, and now we have this and many examples like this to go on for improvements to super old artwork.

Last edited:

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Idk it might be just me ,but I feel like most smash fans are hyped to character reveals more than playing the game it self.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
It is true that Smash Ultimate probably set the highest standard we will ever see in a fighting game in terms of character choices.
It is simply amazing what Nintendo, Sakurai and the whole development team have achieved in a single game.

As for "deserve" I'm not sure.
For all the right things it got right, it sure has several flaws that can hardly be overlooked.

The lack of single player modes, the lack of trophies and the likes and the rather limited online aspect of the game sure hurt what's a pretty much a perfect game.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love people trashing the netcode for a game that has more content than has ever been in this kind of game. We really don't deserve it.
I think Smash Bros. Ultimate is the greatest video game of all time, but its netcode is absolute garbage and deserves all the criticism thrown at it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As someone who was overall disappointed with Smash 4 (while still putting 200+ hours into it), Ultimate is essentially everything I could ask for in a Smash game. The addition of King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Ridley, along with all veterans back, is simply pure unadulterated joy. I'm looking forward to more DLC keeping this game sustainable.

There's no doubt it's my all time favorite game. It's the perfect culmination of 20 years of Smash.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing about "deserving". It's a product they're selling.

I don't like it and it's my least favorite entry in the series.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't see why not. It's really not that great of a game. Online still sucks like it has since the Wii and I still think 64 and Melee are better games. Though this may be one those your first Mario Kart is your favorite kind of a thing with me.

I've been playing Smash since 64 first came out and this blows every game before it out of the water.

Wish they put emphasis on female characters. Roster choices for DLC have been absolute garbage. Roster additions in ultimate in general are incredibly poor. Also the online leaves a lot to be desired. Single player content is just YMMV. Nothing actually helps you get better at the game. Just takes up space.

I'm amazed anyone can believe this. While not every character is my cup of tea and I definitely think the lack of female fighters is a problem, to say the choices overall have been poor or garbage is just astounding to me.