• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whaaa ,4 has the worse single player mode outside the first game. Sure there is smash run but that wasnt enough
Smash Run is the 3ds kirby-like mode, right? It's by far the most fun I ever had with the franchise. That would have been the ideal place to put some Jack frost, medusa heads or slimes. Or Guiles.
I couldn't finish World of Light.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I havent played it. I look at it... And it seems like it must be one of the best games you can buy, and i

gu_announcement_01.png

Especially whe you list the content by the mumbers, i start feeling like its a must have. But somehow i settle back into interest mode real quick. Feels like a game i should force myself to try. The price fixed at 60 doesn't help.

Great writeup!

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think this is the case anymore.
The best-selling entries in the Sonic series are still the Genesis games. Sonic came to Brawl with a classic stage from the original game, and the latest game referenced in his move set is Adventure. The only modern Sonic games that people seem to really like are the ones that lean into '90s nostalgia like Generations and especially Mania.

Oct 31, 2017
As wonderful as the game is, I struggle to boot it up to play. Smash for me since N64 was playing sometimes all night with my brothers. Then life happened, got married, have kids, moved to another state. Now the ultimate Smash is here and I can't enjoy it.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't consider this as thread whining but please make a thread again or at least bump this thread when we get complete roster then we can ranting about how we doesn't deserve this magical game. The ride isn't even OVER yet!

8T3NRUo.gif

MORE SPECULATION! LET SEE HOW MANY TIME WE WOULD BE WRONG ABOUT CHARACTERS!

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Those of you talking about the netcode, have you tried a ethernet adapter? I bought one and it made a huge difference. Before it was slow motion/freezing and disconnects. Now its pretty darn smooth.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Enjoy it while it last.

I can honestly say that I don't think we'll see this again. Incredible game and hats off to every single individual working on it and Nintendo for making it happen.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Those of you talking about the netcode, have you tried a ethernet adapter? I bought one and it made a huge difference. Before it was slow motion/freezing and disconnects. Now its pretty darn smooth.
It makes your connection more stable, sure. But you still have to account for the millions using Wi-Fi.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
It's a game I wish I enjoyed playing but I can't stand the way it controls.
Same here. Love the idea and roster but the gameplay just isn't for me sadly. Had decent fun with the time I played though.
EDIT: Also yeah I agree with people saying the online is buttcheeks. When someone pays $60 they deserve functional online. It's somehow worse than most traditional JP fighting games and those have garbage online too.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It makes your connection more stable, sure. But you still have to account for the millions using Wi-Fi.

True. Though I've only had a few disconnects in the past week and I only play Smash mode. If I was into the competitive aspect and kept up with the frame data I'm sure I'd notice things.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
It's not missing there or four of my specific favourite characters, it's missing pretty much any American or European, Sony, Blizzard or pc gaming representation. Which is fine, it's a nintendo product, but that's why I would argue it is a celebration of nintendo / japanese games.
A large majority of the most iconic video game characters happen to be Japanese.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I don't see why not. It's really not that great of a game. Online still sucks like it has since the Wii and I still think 64 and Melee are better games. Though this may be one those your first Mario Kart is your favorite kind of a thing with me.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A large majority of the most iconic video game characters happen to be Japanese.
You are on something if you think joker from persona 5 is more "iconic" than tracer, or crash bandicoot, or Lara Croft, or master chief, or Nathan drake, or any other of the many American / European iconic video game characters.

OP
OP
Christo750

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Please don't consider this as thread whining but please make a thread again or at least bump this thread when we get complete roster then we can ranting about how we doesn't deserve this magical game. The ride isn't even OVER yet!

8T3NRUo.gif

MORE SPECULATION! LET SEE HOW MANY TIME WE WOULD BE WRONG ABOUT CHARACTERS!
I would love to bump this in like 2 years when the ride finally ends!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Smash Ultimate is the game the general fandom asks for and deserves

Smash Melee is the game the general fandom is frustrated at and doesn't deserve

COME AT ME

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It's a neat game. Wish the online was playable though.

OP
OP
Christo750

Christo750

May 10, 2018
You are on something if you think joker from persona 5 is more "iconic" than tracer, or crash bandicoot, or Lara Croft, or master chief, or Nathan drake, or any other of the many American / European iconic video game characters.

It's less Joker than it is Persona. Persona is a legendary/iconic JRPG series and Joker is, to Sakurai, the best way to represent that.

Crash and Lara Croft are those characters, IMO (emphasis on O) whose icon status stretches further than the actual games they came from. Crash 2 is fine, but Crash 1 is busted. And really, anything after Wrath of Cortex was panned by critics and fans, no?

And the old Tomb Raider games have not aged well in the slightest. Meanwhile, you can boot up the first Castlevania, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, FF7, Metal Gear Solid, and have a pretty great time.

Honestly (continuing with the O), I don't get what people see in Crash. Half the time I wonder if people remember Crash fondly because, for people who bought Playstations, that's what was around. Spyro I get, but I still don't feel he's much in the same vein of iconic.

This isn't to say some western characters are overdue, I definitely think Doomguy and Tracer are just a matter of when. Especially if one of them doesn't close out the first Fighters Pass.

But I agree with Zalman and his point remains that a lot of the most iconic gaming characters that stood the test of time came from Japan in the 80's and 90's. And for the latter, we're still missing a few big players that IMO, take precedent before characters like Nathan Drake. I.e., Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy, Sub-Zero/Scorpion, aforementioned Doomguy, to name a few.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. There's very few games that I feel this way about, but Ultimate is one of them. It's absurd what it's doing. Both for it itself as a game, and for the community at large. I'm not sure if there's ever going to be anything else ever like it.

It's absolutely marvelous. And it's super frustrating when people still complain about bullshit. Like how.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
They should really never make another Smash and just keep updating Ultimate, especially now that there's no end date for DLC.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Because they just can't never make an actual new smash again. Too lucrative of an IP.

Sure you can. There will probably never be a sequel to Fortnite or Minecraft and those are some of the biggest IPs in the world. Game monetization is changing and I'd be all for just making Smash into an evergreen GaaS.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Sure you can. There will probably never be a sequel to Fortnite or Minecraft and those are some of the biggest IPs in the world. Game monetization is changing and I'd be all for just making Smash into an evergreen GaaS.
It's not how nintendo does things and that probably will never change. Splatoon could have also easily been gaas, or splatoon 2. Or mario kart 8.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
As someone who only recently got into Nintendo and got into the series with Ultimate and it blows my mind that it even exists in this form.
I ain't gonna lie I wish I could be you. Been playing Smash since the n64 and I'd love to know what it feels like to play with these characters for the first time in Ultimate haha.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
It's not how nintendo does things and that probably will never change. Splatoon could have also easily been gaas, or splatoon 2. Or mario kart 8.
Very true, the main thing stopping that reality is Nintendo's own ignorance of online ecosystems in general. It's a shame though because Ultimate forever will be better than the inevitable scaled-back sequel.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's less Joker than it is Persona. Persona is a legendary/iconic JRPG series and Joker is, to Sakurai, the best way to represent that.

Crash and Lara Croft are those characters, IMO (emphasis on O) whose icon status stretches further than the actual games they came from. Crash 2 is fine, but Crash 1 is busted. And really, anything after Wrath of Cortex was panned by critics and fans, no?

And the old Tomb Raider games have not aged well in the slightest. Meanwhile, you can boot up the first Castlevania, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, FF7, Metal Gear Solid, and have a pretty great time.

Honestly (continuing with the O), I don't get what people see in Crash. Half the time I wonder if people remember Crash fondly because, for people who bought Playstations, that's what was around. Spyro I get, but I still don't feel he's much in the same vein of iconic.

This isn't to say some western characters are overdue, I definitely think Doomguy and Tracer are just a matter of when. Especially if one of them doesn't close out the first Fighters Pass.

But I agree with Zalman and his point remains that a lot of the most iconic gaming characters that stood the test of time came from Japan in the 80's and 90's. And for the latter, we're still missing a few big players that IMO, take precedent before characters like Nathan Drake. I.e., Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy, Sub-Zero/Scorpion, aforementioned Doomguy, to name a few.
I mean that kind of moves the goal posts if it's just about the first game in the series holding up, and even that is very subjective. Tomb raider is an absolutely iconic series that influenced a lot.

OP
OP
Christo750

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I mean that kind of moves the goal posts if it's just about the first game in the series holding up, and even that is very subjective. Tomb raider is an absolutely iconic series that influenced a lot.
It isn't entirely about that, I'm just saying that for those two characters, the characters themselves are remembered more fondly than the games they're from.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't entirely about that, I'm just saying that for those two characters, the characters themselves are remembered more fondly than the games they're from.
That definitely isn't true for crash. The first game is kind of dated, but people atill love it and the other two as games not just because crash himself.

I agree with the criticism that the poor online experience spoils things a little. However the stupid size and value of the package cannot be challenged by almost anything else.

I think Ultimate is a bit under-rated in that regard by the enthusiasts and hardcore only because they're super-familiar with Smash 4 on the Wii U and 3DS. So Ultimate is understandably not as impressive.

For the general audience though, there's a reason why it's selling so much. It's just a crazy product.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Smash is an amazing value proposition as a fighting game with an insane level of quality throughout, but also an ongoing curated museum of gaming greats, recreated in slavish detail and homage to their respective companies/game series. Smash Ultimate is a game where you can literally feel and see the love and respect for the medium as a whole come to life. It's probably one of the few games I'll always be excited to hear about.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
The best-selling entries in the Sonic series are still the Genesis games. Sonic came to Brawl with a classic stage from the original game, and the latest game referenced in his move set is Adventure. The only modern Sonic games that people seem to really like are the ones that lean into '90s nostalgia like Generations and especially Mania.
Well the dev that made Brawl is in his late 40's and the earlier games in the series were some of the better ones, so I'm sure that's a reflection of that. My point still stands and I'm willing to bet most of Sonic's target demographic never owned Sega hardware.

So I disagree.