• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

From Luca Guadagnino, the director of Call Me By Your Name, We Are Who We Are follows a group of teens growing up on an American Army base outside of Venice, Italy struggling to find their own identities as they move into young-adulthood.

Didn't see a thread for the new trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a movie or a show?

Anyway, will definitely watch this after how great Call Me by Your Name was.

Sep 17, 2018
Production was meant to start earlier but ran into a snag when the U.S. Defense Department refused permission to shoot at the Caserma Ederle U.S. military base in Vicenza, northern Italy, after reading the script, sources said.
I think in order not to be generic why don't we set this in a micro-America, a place that can work as the part for the whole. I proposed the military world. I had a very wonderful conversation once many, many years ago with Amy Adams — you get to have these meetings with these great actors as one of the privileges of this work — and she told me that she spent part of her upbringing in Vicenza, in a military base in Italy. From synapses connecting to each other, I had this image in my mind.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Should we just use this as the OT then? I'm assuming everyone who's interested in the show has already posted in here >__>

Oct 25, 2017
Sepinwall review
www.rollingstone.com

'We Are Who We Are' Marches to Its Own Beat

In the HBO drama 'We Are Who We Are,' from director Luca Guadagnino, teens on an army base search for identity. Alan Sepinwall's review

Variety
variety.com

Luca Guadagnino’s ‘We Are Who We Are’ Captures the Defiant Spontaneity of Teenagers: TV Review

The new HBO drama, co-starring Chloe Sevigny and Kid Cudi, is smart and emotionally resonant.

Seems like a visually luscious show with thin plot and characterizations. Probably another ~mood show which I might be down for.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The series premiere is tonight!

Right here, right now #1

Series premiere. When Sarah Wilson is named the new commander of a difficult military unit in Chioggia, Italy, she uproots her wife Maggie and teenage son Fraser from their lives in New York City to start a new chapter in this unfamiliar seaside town. While Sarah contends with her new position and Maggie resumes her work at the army's clinic, Fraser longs for Mark, a friend he left behind in New York, and seems uninterested in connecting with the other teenagers on base--until he meets Caitlin.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't enjoy this much. The main character (Fraser) is completely unlikable so far. I think we all knew this was going to be a "mood" show, but something like that needs a hook to pull you in. Sucking his mother's blood, staring at her while she was naked, smacking her in the face, the constant underage drinking, all the while quietly moldering did not hook me at all. The friend group seems more promising, and obviously they'll help pull him out of his shell (or whatever you want to call it).

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this was everything I hate about HBO sometimes. Complete poseur try-hard shit. That dumbass kid needs a post-birth abortion.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
The main blonde kid character is absolutely shit awful. I think the show is aware of that though, so I'm curious to see what happens with him.

Apart from that, I thought it was nicely shot and appropriately evocative but also kind of empty.

all the male nudity tho 👀

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight!
Right here, right now #2

The arrival of Caitlin's period accelerates her desire to experiment with her gender expression, and to flirt with girls, test boundaries with her boyfriend, Sam, and spar with her father, Richard. As she and her brother Danny continue to clash with their mother, Jenny, Caitlin's relationships with her both her dad and Danny's best friend Craig deepen. Later, Fraser discovers Caitlin's secret, which forever changes the nature of their relationship.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
This show needs to hook me tonight, because everything about episode 1 was either boring or annoying.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I say this knowing full well I'm sure it'll go somewhere by the end because there's too much talent involved for it not to but..After two episodes this might be one of the most boring,meandering shows I've ever seen in my entire life. I do not say that lightly.

If this is trying to be slice of life growing up like Call Me By Your Name at least the leads in that had charm and something to draw you in, the two leads in this are both so unlikable, bland, the characters surrounding them don't help much either

For the first time in a long time I'm wondering what the hell I'm watching and how is this prestige TV besides the great soundtrack and production quality

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I say this knowing full well I'm sure it'll go somewhere by the end because there's too much talent involved for it not to but..After two episodes this might be one of the most boring,meandering shows I've ever seen in my entire life. I do not say that lightly.

If this is trying to be slice of life growing up like Call Me By Your Name at least the leads in that had charm and something to draw you in, the two leads in this are both so unlikable, bland, the characters surrounding them don't help much either

For the first time in a long time I'm wondering what the hell I'm watching and how is this prestige TV besides the great soundtrack and production quality
Sounds like my decision to bail after one episode was the right choice.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I actually thought the second was better than the first - the girl is a tad bland so far but at least she's not a creepy asshole like the boy.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

What does really define a prestige TV show? Is it about critical acclaim or production budget? Or just having well known folks on and behind the camera?

Ok there is a 13 rules list of what makes for a prestige show, according to Vulture's Kathryn VanArendonk:

www.vulture.com

13 Signs You’re Watching a ‘Prestige’ TV Show

Do you need help recognizing whether the show you’re watching is good, serious TV?
1. It's like a novel!
2. It's like a movie!
3. They're not episodes, they're chapters
4. It's not a first season, it's a "pilot"
5. Winking self-awareness
6. Darkness
7. WTH is even happening right now?!
8. "All the pieces matter"
9. The sad man
10. Breasts
11. Literally nothing is funny
12. It's not just not funny; it's deeply depressing.
13. Movie stars (and) directors.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
What does really define a prestige TV show? Is it about critical acclaim or production budget? Or just having well known folks on and behind the camera?

Ok there is a 13 rules list of what makes for a prestige show, according to Vulture's Kathryn VanArendonk:

www.vulture.com

13 Signs You’re Watching a ‘Prestige’ TV Show

Do you need help recognizing whether the show you’re watching is good, serious TV?
1. It's like a novel!
2. It's like a movie!
3. They're not episodes, they're chapters
4. It's not a first season, it's a "pilot"
5. Winking self-awareness
6. Darkness
7. WTH is even happening right now?!
8. "All the pieces matter"
9. The sad man
10. Breasts
11. Literally nothing is funny
12. It's not just not funny; it's deeply depressing.
13. Movie stars (and) directors.

Prestige as in reviews tell me I should love it lol and I havent had a single urge to catch up. I'm sure I will eventually but I shouldn't haven't to slog through two hours of television (or any amount really) before it "gets good". Way too much to watch

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Prestige as in reviews tell me I should love it lol and I havent had a single urge to catch up. I'm sure I will eventually but I shouldn't haven't to slog through two hours of television (or any amount really) before it "gets good". Way too much to watch
It seems it's not just critical acclaim that makes a prestige show. I'm sure there have been prestige shows that have been panned, despite the big talent on display. A big one that comes to mind is Too Old To Die Young (I did like its style but its probably the most self-indulgent from NWR projects), and I'm sure there are more examples.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was really looking forward to this but borderline hated the first episode. Does the show pick up past that? Specifically, does Fraser become less unbearable to watch?

Oct 27, 2017
I was really looking forward to this but borderline hated the first episode. Does the show pick up past that? Specifically, does Fraser become less unbearable to watch?

No, Fraser si super annoying. Also, is anyone else disturbed at Luca's obsession with
pairing older men with young teens? Like, isn't that what he did with Call Me By Your Name as well? And now Fraser + military dude (Jonathan?). Is he like projecting or something?

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
Just finished the show. I enjoyed every minute, it might be my favourite thing Guadagnino has done overall. That finale was gorgeous - such a magical feel to it.

Last edited:

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I am coming in late, but as of last night I have watch the first 5 episodes. While I can get this show is easy to dislike (very hard to recommend to someone) I have really enjoyed it. I will even say episode 4 is my favorite hour of TV I have watched this year.