• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you excited for the next generation?

• YES, Bring it, day one.

Votes: 729 64.0%
  • I am excited but I will not buy a next gen console on launch

Votes: 186 16.3%
  • I am already next generation ready with my PC!

Votes: 83 7.3%
  • Not that excited because of the release of the mid generation consoles and/or switch, I can wait

Votes: 61 5.4%
  • I'll experience the next generation through PSNow/XCloud/Stadia

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • I dont really care much, there's still way too many games to play to think about it

Votes: 58 5.1%
  • I dislike the generational model and would rather games to keep supporting the PS4/X1

Votes: 15 1.3%

• Total voters

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really need PS5 until a killer game is out. Unlike with ps4 where I was gaming on it primarily and also it doubled as my entertainment center I now have my viewing apps on my fire TV stick/cube and my pc for gaming.

So I can always wait if it's releasing with boring exclusives or largely third party titles.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Even though I have a pretty good gaming PC, I'll still be there day 1. Only for one console though, leaning more towards Scarlett right now

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a "next-gen PC" but I'll still be on PS5 day one so I can properly use this 1440p monitor for console games.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Aww yeah less than a year away from a bunch of sports, shooter ports, cross gen titles and if we're lucky ONE banger of a launch title!

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I am mildly excited. I probably won't buy any new gen console on day one though.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Still too early for the hype. Need to wait until E3 gets here.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to get any of the current systems, and thanks to BC I might as well wait until these brand new machines come out. I'm looking forward to playing Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS5! :)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its like all i can think about Im so excited. Im still undecided on scarlet or ps5 at launch. The line up will be a huge deciding factor and halo and forza are hard to turn down...BUT a horizon zero dawn 2 and ff7 remake remaining playstation exclusive will be just as tough to turn down.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I don't expect anything more than 1 amazing exclusive at launch so whether I get it at launch or not will depend on if BC PS4 games get a decent performance boost.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scarlett day 1
With Halo Infinite and Watch Dogs 3 so far

PS5 maybe if it has something good. Dont care about Horizon or the Demons Souls remake without From

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah! I'm really excited to see what next-gen consoles will bring. The hardest part will be picking which one to get first, as I know I don't have the time to devote to both if they launch near each other. The odds heavily favor Xbox right now but there are quite a few factors that might change my mind.

Is it next year yet?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm moderately excited, but it all depends on if PS5 (or Scarlett) will have a must-have launch exclusive or not. Don't really care too much about a crossgen res-bump or anything multiplat.

I say that now, but I'll probably just cave and get it day 1 to be with the zeitgeist, lol.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The only way I'd even consider launch day PS5 is if that's where Ghosts of Tsushima ran off to. And even then, the history of games being not just ported but outright made exclusive for new hardware after being announced for older hardware isn't exactly stellar, IIRC, so... might wait for reviews.

At any rate, outside of that, I'm just plum not interested in upgrading for next gen yet. It feels like the current gen just barely started. I know factually it's been more like 5 years now, but still. There's a lot of potential left in these machines...

Also OP how could you forget Nioh 2 for great looking current gen games?! Come on now!

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I get hyped for new tech especially for gaming. I'll probably get one of the consoles at midnight then just fawn over menus and the UI then play something the next day lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'll jump in once a next-gen Capcom fighting game is announced. That plus I need more time to save up money for a PS5.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm ordering 3 PS5s day 1. 1 for me and 1 to give the nieces and nephews for Christmas.

Gonna be glorious.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I'm excited but it'll be the first gen I don't go in day 1. I'll wait for enough games and maybe a price drop.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I am excited but I will not buy a next-gen console on launch. I´ll wait about 1 year to get the PS5 due to my PS4 Pro and my gaming PC. Who knows about the Scarlet. Especially after the PC became an official Xbox platform. That wait is destined to be longer.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
I'm so pumped. Day 0. I'll likely get TLOU2, Tsushima, Cyberpunk and all the big hitters on PS5

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its probably gonna be the same as this gen for me, day whatever FFVII2 DMC VI or RE8 releases, i assume the last two have bigger chances of releasing sooner

Rockstar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
US
Greatness awaits once again!!

JsabtW.gif

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Just bought a Xbox One S so I'm not really interested in getting another expensive console next year. But depending on the price I might get Xbox All Access.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I am dead set on PS5 at launch, but the Microsoft's value's proposition with Game Pass is very tempting and I never even bought an Xbox One.
I almost feel like I have to buy a NextBox or I'll be missing out on a lot.

I don't think I can justify two consoles purchases at the end of 2020 and who knows was Nintendo is up to.

Jan 11, 2018
It will all depend on the games they have to launch with. If it's mostly just stuff that will release on current gen systems I see no reason to make the jump at launch.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably wait 2 years like I did with the PS4 unless there are some damn good exclusives.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Insane how time flies. I am looking more forward to next generation than I did to current gen and I already looked forward to that a lot. Very excited about what they can do with ray tracing and new hardware. The first games on the new console will look great, but they won't be a 5x leap compared to like Death Stranding, RDR2, The Last of Us 2, Resident Evil 2 and so on. It will probably take a few years into the new generation to see what they are truly capable of, but I expect great things!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
100% day one for PS5.

Also day one for Switch Pro / Switch 2, if or when they announce it.

Microsoft needs to show me some really good games and more new IP's, to get me to buy Scarlett.

I loved the original Xbox and 360 but this gen, Xbox One disappointed and just didn't have enough for me to buy it. I'd hate to spend money on Scarlett, only for the same thing to happen.

gooner4life

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I'm still mainly playing Fortnite then I'll probably hold off on Day 1, my 5 year old PC still plays Fortnite at 240fps on low settings, PS5 and Scarlett wont match that.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll get a PS5 day 1 not because I'm excited, but because it's an excuse to upgrade and get rid of my PS4. If backwards compatability wasn't a thing I wouldn't really care at this point.

But my next gen hype will go in to overdrive once PSVR2 gets revealed. That's the real next gen.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Not really excited since I still have a 1080p TV and it feels like it would be kind of a waste to get new consoles that focus on higher resolutions/HDR etc.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I still remember when I was hyping up that faceless "Next Gen Mass Effect" and what an underwhelming outcome it had. So I'm not excited about next gen. I'm only excited at the prospect of seeing all new games that might have new technical advantages be shown.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not really excited about the new consoles yet because I haven't seem them, the games or the price. I am excited for this generation to be over. I would have been fine with it ending in 2018.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
the next date i care about is february-ish. thats when xbox one/ps4 reliable specs started leaking last gen.

there's a point where things have to get firmed up...

btw i am always a day one new console guy,. and dont understand the mindset of any heavy gamer who isn't. i like the tech and business sides of gaming as much as actual gaming.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
No, not really. Already have a high-end gaming PC, so I have no need for either of the new gen consoles until exclusives come along that I want and I don't see that happening at launch. Will probably get around to picking them up a year after launch.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
the next date i care about is february-ish. thats when xbox one/ps4 reliable specs started leaking last gen.

there's a point where things have to get firmed up...

btw i am always a day one new console guy,. and dont understand the mindset of any heavy gamer who isn't. i like the tech and business sides of gaming as much as actual gaming.
Consoles tend to be expensive at launch & not every gamer has the cash to buy in day one.