• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Which would be far too long for a direct sequel that reuses a lot of assets.
What if it there are as many new assets as there are old ones

what if ... we get an entire great sea, an expansive underground world, and a whole sky region, each as involved and fully-fleshed out as the first game's overworld, and then some?!

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

what if ... we get an entire great sea, an expansive underground world, and a whole sky region, each as involved and fully-fleshed out as the first game's overworld, and then some?!
And if there's just as many new ones?
I guess by now we have to assume that the game will feature an expansive new world in some form. There's no way this game would have taken 4+ years to develop otherwise.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And if there's just as many new ones?
It would still be ready to go this year. 4 years is plenty enough building off of BotW. People forget Nintendo had to do the physics and they said it took them a year to port it to Switch. BotW would've released earlier than 2017.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would still be ready to go this year. 4 years is plenty enough building off of BotW. People forget Nintendo had to do the physics and they said it took them a year to port it to Switch. BotW would've released earlier than 2017.
We'll see. I'd love for it to be this year, but I won't be shocked if it's next year.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. It's been 4 years for a sequel using the same engine and assets. It's releasing this year.
Tbf Covid probably delayed development for months, but I also think it would release in 2020 and was internally delayed cause covid.
i think nintendo should use this title for next console or pro version.
if the pro console is real, I think they would release at most a month apart. Maybe even the same day.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
holiday 2021 is doable. Q1 2022 at the latest. I think releasing with the next switch model is what's going to happen.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the year BotW2 releases? Is this the year Eldin Ring release? Is this the year Halo Infinite finally releases? So much seems up in the air, still, for 2021.
Yeah, because it's literally the 1st day lol

Then it definitely shouldn't take as long because it's only being developed for a single system and all the tools/systems they created would be reusable or modifiable as opposed to having to be built from scratch

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
If switch pro comes out in march (alongside Monster Hunter) then it'll be Nintendo's December release title

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
For the record I want it out on 2021 too, it lines up with rumors /reports from Bloomberg and other outlets of a Switch hardware revision (the fabled Pro)

Just keep in mind 'fall or late 2021' was never a promised date anywhere by Nintendo or Aonuma for BOTW2. This is just people's head canon on the most likely release date after it was clear 2020 wasn't happening and after they announced Hyrule Warriors AOC and mentioned the game needing more time.

I fully expect if this game misses 2021 there were be disappointment threads where the OP and commenters imply this was the promised date. Bookmark this.

Dec 2, 2020

Physics systems aren't what took the development time. Asset creation is by far the most time consuming aspect of modern game development. People are nuts if they expect the sequel to just use the same assets as the original.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's coming out in November this year according to my made up bullshit fantasy

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Physics systems aren't what took the development time. Asset creation is by far the most time consuming aspect of modern game development. People are nuts if they expect the sequel to just use the same assets as the original.
Aonuma specifically cited the Phsysics engine as a major delaying factor to the game's initial projected release, along with the eventual dual release on Switch. It's not that it was the bulk of the effort, but it was the blocker that delayed the project.

Asset creation is the biggest effort, but the whole point is that for a direct sequel they not only have thousands of ready made assets to recycle, but they also have all their tools and asset pipeline fully setup and well known at this point. Even if they were to create an entire new map equal, or even greater, in size of BotW it shouldn't take the same amount of time since they'll be more efficient and familiar with their tools and processes and because part of BotW's extended dev cycle was due to other factors unrelated to asset creation, things that either have been long since been solved for BotW or are not a factor to this release.

Plenty of huge games are started from scratch and completed in 4 years, so it's not crazy to think a direct sequel with all its advantages shouldn't take even longer.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed to 2022, but I think it's out November 2021. Either way, I think we're due for some more footage. Hopefully a teaser sometime in the first half of the year and then a larger showing around E3 time with a confirmation of either this year or next year.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Then it definitely shouldn't take as long because it's only being developed for a single system and all the tools/systems they created would be reusable or modifiable as opposed to having to be built from scratch
but what what if there are fully destructible/deformable environments and terrain and there are sequences 10.000 years into the past involving the divine beasts tearing shit up and the giant's mask where you can grow huge in real time and use the 8th heroine statue's giant sword to fight some giant enemy and it's incredible

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it now. Unless we see something of it very soon, I'd be surprised to see it make the year. We can blame it on COVID

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I am willing to bet that Breath of the Wild 2 was originally slated for a 2020 release but was delayed by Covid to 2021. So I fully expect it to be released this year, and possibly before the holiday season.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Yes alongside resi 4 remake, god of war 2 and FF7 remake part 2. Joking aside.... No, it's not coming this year. It's set for Easter 2022 according to a mates uncle who works for Nintendo

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
It's coming out this year in November not a single doubt in my mind that it's not tbh.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It feels to me like 2022 is the year of the next Switch and BOTW2.

This year, i think Switch remasters or releases of Twilight Princess, WindWaker, and Skyward Sword, will happen.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I really hope so. I played botw for the first time this spring so I'll be glad to have a short wait overall regardless.

I'd take a link to the past remake though...

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Aonuma specifically cited the Phsysics engine as a major delaying factor to the game's initial projected release, along with the eventual dual release on Switch. It's not that it was the bulk of the effort, but it was the blocker that delayed the project.

Asset creation is the biggest effort, but the whole point is that for a direct sequel they not only have thousands of ready made assets to recycle, but they also have all their tools and asset pipeline fully setup and well known at this point. Even if they were to create an entire new map equal, or even greater, in size of BotW it shouldn't take the same amount of time since they'll be more efficient and familiar with their tools and processes and because part of BotW's extended dev cycle was due to other factors unrelated to asset creation, things that either have been long since been solved for BotW or are not a factor to this release.

Plenty of huge games are started from scratch and completed in 4 years, so it's not crazy to think a direct sequel with all its advantages shouldn't take even longer.
But it's Zelda.

Dec 2, 2020

Wasn't it "getting the physics system to run on Wii U"?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sure, anything is possible, but at the same time MM was created in like less than 18 months. Just because TP and BotW took a ton of time doesn't mean every future Zelda needs to or will. Plus this is supposed to be a direct sequel, not a brand new entry, that it's taken this long is already kind of crazy. Covid explains the last year but for it to somehow not make it out this year would be pretty unbelievable. Zelda or not.

Wasn't it "getting the physics system to run on Wii U"?
Original quote/article didn't specify.

"We really felt like we would be able to get it done last year (2015), but there was a lot of struggle using the physics engine, so that's why it took a long time." - IGN

So sounds like a general issue not a system specific one. Which makes sense. BotW is already famous for its physics exploits and tricks, making it so shit didn't wildly break and go crazy was probably a nightmare. You've got this completely freeform world where all these objects must react with one another and realistically and reliably react to forces is not easy. And small correction on my part, it was also Miyamoto not Aonuma who said that.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Sure, anything is possible, but at the same time MM was created in like less than 18 months. Just because TP and BotW took a ton of time doesn't mean every future Zelda needs to or will. Plus this is supposed to be a direct sequel, not a brand new entry, that it's taken this long is already kind of crazy. Covid explains the last year but for it to somehow not make it out this year would be pretty unbelievable. Zelda or not.

Original quote/article didn't specify.

"We really felt like we would be able to get it done last year (2015), but there was a lot of struggle using the physics engine, so that's why it took a long time." - IGN

So sounds like a general issue not a system specific one. Which makes sense. BotW is already famous for its physics exploits and tricks, making it so shit didn't wildly break and go crazy was probably a nightmare. You've got this completely freeform world where all these objects must react with one another and realistically and reliably react to forces is not easy. And small correction on my part, it was also Miyamoto not Aonuma who said that.

Considering we have no idea of the scope of this game, I think it's wild that people are making any definitive statements about its release tbh.