• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
Fox news will take Biden sound clips and turn them around to feed their echo chamber.

What else do you think will happen?

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I predict Biden will slip up a few words or say something incorrectly. Like he recently said 200 million have died from covid. Trumpers and Fox News will replay the clips over and over until they are driven into the ground and that's all anyone remembers from the debate, even though trump can't put together a sentence

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
Trump doesn't bother to debate. If you remember 2016, he would purposely interrupt both the moderator and Clinton. It's like having a cranky 4 year old arguing everything.

I really wish the moderator would take away talking time every time he interrupts. It won't happen but I can dream.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Trump doesn't bother to debate. If you remember 2016, he would purposely interrupt both the moderator and Clinton. It's like having a cranky 4 year old arguing everything.

I really wish the moderator would take away talking time every time he interrupts. It won't happen but I can dream.
And then if that happened it would also be a win for Trump because he could claim the fake news is stealing away his chance to talk. At this point the debates are basically a no lose situation for Trump, imo because he's just going to act like a fucking child as always and get away with it. I can't imagine there is really a single person out there who is going to have their minds changed by these debates, but I guess it's still important to have them. On the other side, I also think Biden can't really lose barring a catastrophic word salad fuck up. The right (and a ton on the left as well) have spent the past months/year painting him as a senile old man who can't even form coherent sentences. So the bar for Biden is so low that him just walking to the debate stage would be seen as a 'win' in the general public's eye. It's going to be a god damn shit show..

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fox news will take Biden sound clips and turn them around to feed their echo chamber.

What else do you think will happen?
Basically. Not sure I'll bother watching or not. I'm ready to be supremely aggravated if I do.

I'm ready for the post debate analysts to hyper focus on Biden for mis-speaking, and give Trump props if he is remotely comprehensible, or if he trips up Biden with some off the wall statement or insult.

Chuck Todd will declare Trump victor in at least one debate regardless of content.

Not sure how the viewership will respond as Biden is better than Hillary at projecting that "I'm just a normal guy" image, though Hillary was more laser focused and didn't take the bait.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Aghast in advance. I fully expect the president to make more authoritarian statements and explicit threats towards the opposition, and observers will still look like deers caught by a speeding car on a rural road at night.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anything either one of them says will have any bearing on the outcome at this point.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a no win situation for Biden. He's best when he's not saying shit and letting trump be trump.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Okay, so I know a lot of people are worried about the outcome of this debate and the other debates, but as someone who has followed American Politics and the past 4-5 years especially with a lot of vigor, here's some information that I think is being forgotten/lost. Lets talk about Trump's "effectiveness".

Trump strives in two specific scenarios;
1. When he has a large crowd to work.
2. When he is not challenged on his rhetoric.

But the important thing to note, is that neither of these circumstances exist in these debates. These debates are happening in front of no or very limited crowds, and Biden as well as the Moderators will be there to challenge Trump. For the first point, just look at any situation where Trump has not been in front of a large crowd. The recent ABC Town Hall, his Presidential addresses, to a lesser extent his press briefings, and to an extent the 2016 debates. When Trump can play to the crowd, it gives the illusion of him being effective. The few times he had good moments in his debates against Clinton, were when he was able to throw out zingers that the audience worked off--the most well known one was probably the "cause you'd be in jail" line that was 100% a play to the crowd, and was the only highlight I can remember off the top of my head for him.

The second point is an even bigger hurdle for him. Trump hates being challenged, and when he is, he looks completely ineffective. We have seen this happen multiple times in interviews and in press briefings. The Johnathon Swan interview was such a smashing success because Swan forced follow up questions in a way that completely disarmed Trump and left him looking like an actual fool. We see this in press briefings when (specifically female) reporters challenge him and stand their ground--he ends up defeated and just walks out or ends up in heated exchanges that remind people how garbage he is. The most recent ABC Town Hall showed that even when challenged by every day people, Trump is absolutely incapable of responding. The reception of that Town Hall was overwhelmingly negative for Trump.

This is also where the 2016 debates are telling. In the 2016 Republican Primary, Trump didn't really win any of the debates, he was just the most entertaining figure on the stage. I recall multiple debates where he was outright booed by the crowd in fact. Once he got to the Presidential debates and had to deal with being challenged one on one by Clinton, he absolutely floundered. Here is the results according to the Wiki article on the 2016 Presidential Debates, here was the results of the first presidential debate:

Writing on September 28, FiveThirtyEight found that every scientific poll to that point had suggested that voters thought Hillary Clinton performed better than Donald Trump in the debate.[38] A CNN/ORC poll of debate viewers found that 62% believed Clinton won, compared to 27% for Trump.[39] A poll conducted by Public Policy Polling found that 51% thought Clinton won the debate, while 40% thought Trump won.[40] A YouGov poll found that 57% of Americans declared Clinton the winner, while 30% declared Trump the winner.[41] A Politico/Morning Consult poll showed that 49% of likely voters thought that Clinton won the debate, while 26% thought that Trump won, and 25% were undecided.[42] Echelon Insights polling showed that Clinton won the debate 48-22, and that the debate made 41% of respondents more likely to vote for Clinton while 29% were more likely to vote for Trump.[43] A Reuters/Ipsos poll found that 56% of Americans thought Clinton did better, while 26% thought Trump did.[44] An NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll shows that 52% of likely voters who followed the debate chose Clinton was the winner, 21% chose Trump, and 26% did not choose either candidate.[45] A Gallup poll showed that more respondents thought Clinton did a better job than Trump by a margin of 61% to 27%.[46] A Fox News poll shows that 61% of respondents thought that Clinton won the debate while 21% said Trump did.[47] An ABC News/Washington Post poll shows that 53% of respondents thought that Clinton won the debate while 18% said Trump did.[48] A CBS News poll shows that 32% of likely voters say that they thought better of Clinton after watching the debate, but only 10% of voters said that they thought better of Trump afterward.[49]

A panel of Los Angeles Times analysts consisting of Doyle McManus and two others found that Clinton won all six of the debate segments.[50] Among swing-state party officials and strategists surveyed by Politico, 79% agreed that Trump did not win the debate.[51]

Overwhelmingly people thought he lost, and it didn't improve in subsequent debates--his numbers went up after the third debate, but I imagine that was just people more willing to admit they liked him, and he was still overwhelmingly considered the loser. And I should note, Clinton isn't/wasn't a particularly effective debater, and her strategy was more to just be a fact checker and dismiss his rhetoric as absurd--because do to the dynamics of the race, she couldn't really ever go on the offensive (because sexism). Biden can attack Trump in ways Clinton could not, and now he has 4 years of Trump's record to attack. Trump's most commonly repeated lies aren't going to fly now that we have actual history to compare them to. Biden has a very good campaign team around him, and you can bet it is full of people who have spent years developing a strategy to attack Trump on during these debates.

As a final recap, this means we have an incumbent President who is not preparing for debates, who has a history of not doing well in debates, who is not good when being challenged, who is completely ineffective without a crowd, partaking in a debate with a challenger that will be prepared and experienced, can go on the offensive, and has spent the last 9 months preparing for crowdless events.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it's tomorrow and hoping that Biden does good and hopefully motivates anybody that wasn't going to vote before and finally does, if this is disastrous for Trump because of no crowd to eat his shit, he might boycott the rest until he can bring in his supporters,

Good Luck Biden, America is counting on you.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm not even going to bother watching. There's nothing ultimately to be gained. Biden will try to debate like an actual politician, Trump will put on a show and control the conversation while Wallace flounders around trying to keep some semblance of control while Trump runs the show. It's a pointless endeavor and I wish Biden had just not done the debates

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Biden wipes his ass with Trump, which shouldnt be too difficult considering the ammo gifted to him.

...but I'm not watching.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This is a no win situation for Biden. He's best when he's not saying shit and letting trump be trump.

I don't agree with the second part, but I do agree with it being a no win. I have no idea what is going through Biden and his team's head with agreeing to these debates. There's so many outs that could be used here that would be so much smarter, but trying to do an actual debate is so dumb and will literally do nothing for him in the end. Still operating in the old politics of America when that America is dead and gone.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not sure if I can watch it. I won't be able to relax about anything until Biden's in the oval office and Trump isn't.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost afraid to watch it. Literally all Biden has to do is not let Trump get under his skin. I can't see the polls widening further no matter how Biden does, if anything I expect them to tighten up.

Oct 27, 2017
We need a "You're no JFK moment" to help sink that criminal fucking bastard. I hope Biden can pull it off.
Either way, I don't expect things to swing too much due to these debates but who knows.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get up for an early shift at 4 AM on Wednesday so I have to sleep super early tomorrow... thank god, because this would be too stressful to watch lol.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to think that, after four years, political strategists have cracked the code on anti-Trump debate tactics and passed that on to Biden.

Really, if the DNC didn't have someone on the payroll doing such research, they're guilty of gross political malpractice.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Biden will fuck up, Trump will start talking fast not letting Biden talk, once Biden has the chance to talk he will need a few seconds to think about what he wants to say and he will look weak and old. Hope I'm wrong, but...