• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Nintendo's internal data show that they're unlikely to meet their forecast, Reggie wouldn't casually revise or question their forecast in an interview. That would neither be the right time and place nor his task to do so.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I know metroid historically hasnt been a huge deal outside of its core fanbase but it would be a big 1st party title in an otherwise quiet period, I think it would have an impact. Just having a big marketing campaign would have some impact.
MP Trilogy would not have a big marketing campaign though.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
I think they will make it- they will get close enough that a bit of channel stuffing is reasonable.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Patcher isn't very bright in his analysis to say the least, but I still can't fathom that the Switch would be close to 20 millions. With a very strong holiday push, I expect them to be slightly above 18 millions, which is 10% below their target and thus, not as negligible as some make it out to be.
Strong sales overall, but I think that it was a mistake from Nintendo to announce a 20 millions target with a lineup relatively empty except for the holidays.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch stock is plentiful, but that doesn't mean they're stuffing channels. It's December, guys. We can speculate about channel stuffing in February.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
New-SMBU-Deluxe_09-13-18.jpg
That would be a huge thing potentially if Nintendo bothered to actually make it online this time :/
It will still be big but not the same.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They need to be up ~50% YOY in shipments for all of Q3 to realistically have a good chance at the goal. So far reports from the US and UK are encouraging on that front in terms of November and December, but we'll have to see what the rest of the world has to say.

Seriously. Reggie is full of shit too because he doesn't want to tank Nintendo's stock if he says "We aren't going to hit our targets". Even if they weren't going to make it, Reggie would NEVER say that.

I mean, yeah he's not gonna say anything else but it's not like he volunteered this statement. He was asked. What did the interviewer expect him to say?

People blame Reggie for making empty PR statements like this but when you're asked such a silly question that has only one answer what exactly are you supposed to say?

Jan 9, 2018
If Pachter says it will fail, then it will definitively sell over 20m.

That man doesn't ever get these things right, honestly don't know why it still appears on news like this.

Oct 29, 2017
Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Pachter is right, Nintendo will not hit that 20 million target; but it should do a fair bit better than his 15 million prediction (and certainly a LOT better than his original, and absolutely comical, prediction of 8 million)

By the end of the fiscal year, Switch will have likely have done between 18-19 million throughout the 2018-2019 fiscal year. Not quite 20 million, but close enough for it to not damage their momentum.

2019 is when the Switch's lineup will really come together though. It's gonna be 3DS 2013 all over again! (and the Switch's momentum will continue to explode from there; especially when they finally do a price drop).

Last edited:

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Obviously if the Switch was sold out right now there would be no way it would reach 20 mil as this is the most important time to make sure there is plenty of stock.

From the NPD thread it looks like stock is much higher than the stock for PS4 which would make sense as to get near it's target the Switch should be doing double what PS4 does in December or somewhere around that.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. Reggie is full of shit too because he doesn't want to tank Nintendo's stock if he says "We aren't going to hit our targets". Even if they weren't going to make it, Reggie would NEVER say that.
Exactly. It's literally his job to be a positive PR person. If he had casually dropped the bomb that the company might miss their goals in a interview like that he would have been in huge trouble if not fired.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Should've dropped the "U" - such a fuckin' weird and kinda gross title.

Also they should've done a 3D World port instead. Yeet.

If I was betting man I'd say they went with the naming scheme to keep open the possibility of releasing another New Super Mario Bros game on the Switch later on.

They will port 3D World. They're just trying to milk the Mario thirst as much as they can.

Trust me, my uncle works in Reggie's ear canal.

Jan 9, 2018
Obviously if the Switch was sold out right now there would be no way it would reach 20 mil as this is the most important time to make sure there is plenty of stock.

From the NPD thread it looks like stock is much higher than the stock for PS4 which would make sense as to get near it's target the Switch should be doing double what PS4 does in December or somewhere around that.

according to this link, the Switch stock is like 8x the one for PS4

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are the masters of artificial scarcity, except when there's plentiful stock. Then they're the masters of channel stuffing.

giphy.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright folks, got it lol. I am going by what I saw on Sunday, a friend and I were trying to find them one because they wanted to jump on and get it for Smash, and we went to several stores and they were out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
9ZTiRkB.png

I think you meant nowhere. <3

Yeah this indicates shipments will be up substantially from last year, where there were some shortages in December.

Alright folks, got it lol. I am going by what I saw on Sunday, a friend and I were trying to find them one because they wanted to jump on and get it for Smash, and we went to several stores and they were out.

Well, let them know they can find one pretty easily now!