• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it's not really fair competition. Nintendo fluctuates wildly (this happens to be a poor year for them) and XBox never has great 1st party years. This year was pretty good for Sony 1st party IMO, they can do better though.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gotten much out of Sony's offerings this year since few of their prominent IPs appeal to me, though I've yet to play Miles Morales which I'll likely pick up some time this December since I really liked Spider-Man. In the grand scheme of things though I agree it's been a good year for them. It's a far cry from what's felt like a bit of a lull over the last few individual years, between this year and next it seems like the wait is finally paying off.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. The only Sony published game I touched this year was Nioh 2, which...wait, did they even publish that? It's a KT game.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The Sony consoles in general had an amazing year for games.

Outside of Sony published games, we had bangers like P5 Royal and FFVIIR as well.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
Not even close, Sony has completely dominated this past generation. To think, 2021 is looking just as good.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
They couldn't be stopped and it looks like it's going to keep rolling into next gen.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox had the best year for me due to game pass

The unrelated Game Pass answers are becoming meme level around here. Not every game on Game Pass is Microsoft published. The question is how you think the games published by Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, EA, Take-Two, Capcom, Square Enix etc compare.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm sure they had great year but no, we're not all in agreement on that, I didn't care more about their stuff compared to other publishers'.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The unrelated Game Pass answers are becoming meme level around here. Not every game on Game Pass is Microsoft published. The question is how you think the games published by Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, EA, Take-Two, Capcom, Square Enix etc compare.
Even without game pass MS is the clear winner for me. Games like Flight Simulator Gears tactics and Ori have been incredible. Being on game pass is just awesome too.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I've yet to play any Sony published game this year, except for Nioh 2 though I don't think the version I played was published by them. Looking forward to DS and Astro when my PS5 arrive, but just looking at their list of 2020 games and how they were received, I don't think any other publisher even come close.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I think the OP needs to conduct their survey again if they think we're all in agreement. Then again, thinking Gaming side on Era will ever agree on something 100% is a fool's errand.

The only two instances of that ever happening that I can think of is 1. agreeing that Isabelle is cute 2. That Haruka Amami should be in Smash.

As for me, Nintendo is my publisher of the year for Animal Crossing alone.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Nintendo dropped Animal Crossing this year....so no. Sony is not publisher of the year. Also 2018 was their best year imo. God of War AND Spider-Man? Nothing else comes close.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
This. Folks treating GP like a default win button is becoming weird.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of another example of a console maker killing it with two consoles from a different generation in the same year. Usually a console has an excellent line up in its final year but then the next console underwhelms initially and vice versa, but in 2020 both the PS4 and PS5 are sitting pretty.
Their pipeline is very strong, and it helps thats the PS5 dev environment is basically the PS4 with bells and whistles.

Nintendo dropped Animal Crossing this year....so no. Sony is not publisher of the year. Also 2018 was their best year imo. God of War AND Spider-Man? Nothing else comes close.
I think more goes into publisher of the year than "they put out this one game I like".

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
Sony has had better years for me, as a personal preference. I haven't cared about much of their output this year. But I get it.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think more goes into publisher of the year than "they put out this one game I like".
Sure but that "one game" was basically a social and cultural phenomenon. None of Sony's games ever had the sort of reach or influence ACNH has.

Nintendo also had other good games this year obviously but it's been almost all remasters/expansions/ports (Xenoblade DE, Pikmin 3DX, 3D All-Stars, TMS Encore, PMD DX, Part-Time UFO, Fire Emblem 1, NSO stuff like DKC1-2, Panel de Pon, Mario Picross and 2D All-Stars) or secondary spinoffs (Mario 35, Paper Mario TOK, Hyrule Warriors AOC, Kirby Fighters2, Pokémon Café). Then again Sony's 'amazing' PS5 lineup isn't really all that different from that either with the big two bright spots also being a remake (Demon's Souls) and an expansion+remaster (Spider-Miles + Spidey Remastered).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
When it comes to sales and cultural impact, Animal Crossing is the absolute top of 2020 and nothing else comes even remotely close.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but that "one game" was basically a social and cultural phenomenon. None of Sony's games ever had the sort of reach or influence ACNH has.
Pokémon GO was a social and cultural phenomenon but a ridiculously average and flawed game. I'm not saying that ACNH is that or its impact isn't important, but its reception was equal to or lower than a few of Sony's games this year. I'm not saying Nintendo had only one game, just that trying to act like one game alone is able to disregard the rest of the lineup is a bit silly.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
The PS4 had an amazing final year and the PS5 launched with a great lineup.

As a publisher, I dunno how they could have done better.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
I agree completely, you only have to count TLOU PII, Ghost of Tsushima and Demon's Souls to rank them higher than any other publisher out there and those are far from the only amazing games they published this year. 2020 is definitely top 3 years for PlayStation in terms of published games.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Ghost of Tsushima and Demons Souls are the only ones I'd be interested in playing, but it's still a overly impressive year from a quality standpoint.

Even if I don't particularly like the games Sony usually releases, I still marvel at their polish and graphics. It's impossible to not respect WWS' craftsmanship.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
When it comes to sales and cultural impact, Animal Crossing is the absolute top of 2020 and nothing else comes even remotely close.

Yep. Sony released a bunch of well-received games this year, but none of them came close to approaching cultural zeitgeist status like Animal Crossing did. And when it comes to rating how a publisher performed, it's the sales I look at. Not the quantity and quality of the games themselves.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
We should wait a little bit before claiming anything???Just wait til 2022 when they have their drought. /s

The quality of their release lineup this year is remarkable. As a publisher they just release bangers all year. 2021 could be just as good.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States

Nintendo released a game that was the antidote to pandemic angst and which captured the attention of a lot of people (even outside of gaming hobbyist areas). Like you had talk shows run in it. Sony released a new console and some really neat games, but none of them are going to be looked back on as the games that defined 2020.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Never been a fan of the, "Can we all agree..." rhetoric some launch questions with. Just rubs me the wrong way, giving off a cultish vibe.

Sony's 2020 resume is quite strong though. Doesn't speak to me as AAA is pretty much last on my list of priorities within the medium, but that doesn't take away from the good stuff they've put out this year.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I didn't really think about it before but it really is their best year ever. It's their most robust launch lineup for a new system and they really closed out the PS4 with some absolute bangers.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Published:

Dreams (create play share)
Nioh 2 (action rpg)
MLB The Show 20 (sports)
Predator Hunting Grounds (async MP)
Iron Man VR (VR action)
The Last of Us part 2 (horror adventure)
Ghost of Tsushima (historical open-world action rpg, raid MP)
Astro's Playroom (pack-in platformer - museum tour - controller/system showcase)
Sackboy (platformer w/couch & online mp)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Marvel simulator)
Demon's Souls (goty 2009/2020)
Add on top of this Persona 5 Royal and Final Fantasy 7 Remake exclusivities. Wild year for PS4/5