• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
If we can think of GamePass as a publishing arm of Microsoft, I think I'd have to give it to them. In terms of what a publisher does (i.e. delivering games to customers), they curated much of my gaming year.

Not a publisher in a traditional sense, but definitely food for thought...

It's not, publisher has a specific definition

Mar 10, 2018
Published:

Dreams (create play share)
Nioh 2 (action rpg)
MLB The Show 20 (sports)
Predator Hunting Grounds (async MP)
Iron Man VR (VR action)
The Last of Us part 2 (horror adventure)
Ghost of Tsushima (historical open-world action rpg, raid MP)
Astro's Playroom (pack-in platformer - museum tour - controller/system showcase)
Sackboy (platformer w/couch & online mp)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Marvel simulator)
Demon's Souls (goty 2009/2020)
If Demon Souls is goty in a year when Uncharted 2 dropped then I'd argue 2009 is Sony's best year ever

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Probably, though their 2009 output was pretty incredible

Uncharted 2
Killzone 2
Infamous
Demon's Souls
Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time

With the Slim releasing that was the year people finally started buying a PS3

Yeah, I'd probably go with 2009 as the best year too. Playing Uncharted 2, Batman Arkham Asylum (not Sony, I know) and Demon's Souls back to back in that Autumn was one of my most memorable all time game binges. That was the year that definitely cemented the turnaround on the PS3 and set the stage for where Sony are at now.

Also, although its technically cheating, 2009 was the western release of Patapon 2 as well, which was the best one.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If we can think of GamePass as a publishing arm of Microsoft, I think I'd have to give it to them. In terms of what a publisher does (i.e. delivering games to customers), they curated much of my gaming year.

Not a publisher in a traditional sense, but definitely food for thought...
There really can't be a thread on the gaming side without a mention of Gamepass lol, even when it's completely off topic.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Yes.

I think of the film model and how it classifies distributors. Netflix, for example, gets to slap Netflix Originals on titles whether they are acquisitions of finished titles or are fully produced by Netflix. This seems more akin to what game platform holders are doing in this day and age than traditional understandings of game publishing. Which company that you are giving your gaming dollars to is doing the most for you overrides whose name is on a retail box in my eyes. Sony is doing this stuff as well, with things like PSN+ titles like Fall Guys, PS Now, or the PSN+ Collection at PS5 launch.

You can celebrate Sony's lineup this year, or whatever, but I think that the thread's premise is sort of outmoded.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

I think of the film model and how it classifies distributors. Netflix, for example, gets to slap Netflix Originals on titles whether they are acquisitions of finished titles or are fully produced by Netflix. This seems more akin to what game platform holders are doing in this day and age than traditional understandings of game publishing. Which company that you are giving your gaming dollars to is doing the most for you overrides whose name is on a retail box in my eyes. Sony is doing this stuff as well, with things like PSN+ titles like Fall Guys, PS Now, or the PSN+ Collection at PS5 launch.

You can celebrate Sony's lineup this year, or whatever, but I think that the thread's premise is sort of outmoded.
This would work if it was like Netflix where they funded the games that are coming there. They are not doing it.
Like seriously, can you claim Yakuza games are published by Microsoft?

It doesn't work like that and Sony having PS Now or PS Plus collection doesn't mean anything for their publisher status.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Yes.

Netflix originals are exclusive to Netflix. What Gamepass games are exclusive to Gamepass?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This would work if it was like Netflix where they funded the games that are coming there. They are not doing it.
Like seriously, can you claim Yakuza games are published by Microsoft?

That's not how Netflix works, for the record. They fund some things, they buy some rights to catalogue titles, and they acquire some distribution windows on already completed films and shows.

In any case, I don't want to derail the thread any further. Bowing out!

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Wrong, so wrong. Nintendo is the best publisher this year between the big 3. Sorry to break yalls little Sony hearts.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how Netflix works, for the record. They fund some things, they buy some rights to catalogue titles, and they acquire some distribution windows on already completed films and shows.

In any case, I don't want to derail the thread any further. Bowing out!
Actually most if not all the originals are exclusive to Netflix. GP doesn't do this apart from first party games (and if we had to consider them for the best this year then they are barely as good as Nintendo or Sony's libraries).

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For me it's SEGA. In the West:

Persona 5 Royal
Yakuza Remastered Collection
Sakura Wars
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Quality localisations of stellar games, with amazing turnaround times, especially given Covid.

Add P5 Scramble to that in Japan and you've got quite a year.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
Publisher of year: sure.
Their best year? This is not as good as 2013 (insane ps3 last blast output, some really fun and experimental games on vita and mothafuckin Knack on ps4.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's SEGA. In the West:

Persona 5 Royal
Sakura Wars
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Sega were really good this year.

I decided not to get Like a Dragon cause it changed combat and Persona 5 doubled down on a certain thing I hated but Sakura Wars and 13 Sentinels are amazing. Especially the latter.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Liked their 2018 a lot more, but I'm admittedly feeling that PS4 ennui, and I doubt a PS5 will be available here for longer than a split second until mid '21. As for best publisher of the year, yeah probably, even though I had higher highs with other publishers.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Now that you mention it, yeah, it's been a very strong year for Sony. I absolutely loved TLOU2 (my game of the year), GoT was fun and Dreams is just so damn cool. Miles, Astrobot, Sackboy and Demon's Souls are all games I really want to play. I just need one of those elusive PS5s first.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

Dude. Publisher is completely different to distributor.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Sony is fantastic as a game publisher.
really hope they keep this level on PS5!
so many fantastic games!!

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
One of the best year EVER for a publisher, yes.
TLOU2, GOT e Demon's Souls are GOTY material and GREAT titles.
Dreams is another game that scored around 90, Miles Morales which is another great game, Astro and Sackboy are two little gems...I mean, this is just a stellar year, both for quantity AND quality.

Also, they did a really good job with exclusive partnership too: Nioh 2, FF7R, Bugsnax, Pathless, so much value for Playstation owners

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't played the PS5 games yet, but it's their best year in a long time. And 2021 looks strong too.

If they keep flexing, they could dethrone Nintendo.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Yes.

Game Pass is a distribution service, not a game publisher. This is like saying movie theatres are the best film companies because they deliver the vast majority of films to consumers. While Netflix has a lot of produced/acquired content, their own content represents a minority of what their service provides.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
TLOU2 was just OK. It's 10 hours too long and is paced incredibly poorly. The plot also didn't really do much for me.

I haven't played GoT, DS, or MM, but they do all seem pretty great so I'll give you that.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Best publisher of the year? Yes.
Their best ever? Dont think so. 2009 was better imo.

Kz2
Uncharted 2
Demons souls
Crack in time
Infamous

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I think when it comes to the sheer mass of quality titles it might be their best Year. 2009 was also pretty good but i didn't have a PS3 at that point.
Though i also only played Last of Us 2 from them so far, even though i wanna get down to basically every Game they published this year (besides Predator) So by the list of Games you can definetly say it might be their best year but not much was able to grab me enough to get it Day 1.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Probably but I'd give Sega an honorable mention since P5R, 13 Sentinels and Yakuza 7 are all great.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
You could make a GotY nominee list with just PlayStation exclusives and it would be perfectly acceptable.

You could almost make a GotG list out of just Sony first party games lol. They are on a great run.

Exactly. That's the biggest feature of the PS5, Sony games. How could I not buy a PS5 and miss an entire generation of amazing Sony games?

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
One of the best they have had in a long time that is for sure. Given the dumpster fire 2020 has been I am even more impressed.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I would put them as my number one publisher of the year, I think that's going to be Nintendo for me regardless, but I do think Sony are having a great year and it's admirable they haven't held back in seeing off the ps4 or launching the ps5. You can't ask for much more and if they're right in your wheelhouse, I can definitely appreciate them being your pub of the year.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Agreed. They didn't let up even in the last year of the PS4. And unlike the launch of the PS3 and PS4 (to a certain extent), the PS5 has a fantastic line up of games from 1st and 3rd party. PS collection and Bugsnax on PS plus also helps sweeten the deal as well.
It's such a far cry from the PS3's launch where the media hampered hard on Sony's output for the price they were selling it at. They even had someone make a meme about the PS3 having no games to the tune of "How to save a life" by the Fray. And it's much better than the "indiestation 4" as well.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I actually agree with you. I can say that it's their best year in quantity/quality output. A lot of super high quality games. Not every game was my cup of tea; hell, I will never buy Demon's Soul for instance, but I appreciate it. I know a lot of people will enjoy it, and I am happy for them. Congrats Sony on this amazing output. 2021 seems to be stacking pretty well against this year too. Looking forward to it.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
Hard to argue, Sony smashed it this year no question. Next year could be pretty awesome too (as others have said!) Off the top of my head:

Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank

I love the focus on Single Player games too - that's my jam...

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I don't think I would put them as my number one publisher of the year, I think that's going to be Nintendo for me regardless, but I do think Sony are having a great year and it's admirable they haven't held back in seeing off the ps4 or launching the ps5. You can't ask for much more and if they're right in your wheelhouse, I can definitely appreciate them being your pub of the year.
You don't mean it's Nintendo's best year, right? Not when 2017 is clearly king, right? I am a huge Nintendo fan and Animal Crossing NH is my most played game ever, but I don't think this year was better than Sony's. Other than AC and Mario 3D all star, I didn't care much for their other games. I will eventually play Pikmin 3, TMS and HWAOC, but really is it better than GoT, TLOU2, SM:MM?