• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Reminds me of 2009. A Naughty Dog game (Uncharted 2), a Sucker Punch game (Infamous), an Insomniac game (Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time) and Demon's Souls haha.

But yeah really great year
Demon's Souls was not published by them though, despite owning the IP. The IP was licensed was to Atlus in NA and Namco in EU I think to publish in the west iirc. 🤔

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
They definitely outclassed the competition this go round, even if none of these titles (outside of Astro and Demons Souls) are particularly compelling to me.

All things considered, Ninty did a pretty good job, although the preponderance of ports definitely takes the shine off of what is a solid lineup otherwise.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
To the few people saying haven't played any or 'didn't excite me' those kinds of comments can be put for any game by any pub since taste is subjective. If we went like that then nothing can ever be called 'best' for any field and time frame.

And those personal feelings also don't take away the critical acclaim the games have achieved.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. And it's not close. TLOU2, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, and Demon's Souls are the best games released so far this year.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Published:

Dreams
Nioh 2
MLB The Show 20
Predator Hunting Grounds
Iron Man VR
The Last of Us part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Astro's Playroom
Sackboy
Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Demon's Souls

Insane year. I imagine only Nintendo has put together similar years.

I liked 2018 better tbh, but this year nobody else showed up so they'd take it even if they released only one of those bigger games.

2018 they had two GOTY contenders, but this year they at least have three and arguably six.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I liked 2018 better tbh, but this year nobody else showed up so they'd take it even if they released only one of those bigger games.

They also managed to get Genshin for consoles which ended up being a surprise hit as well.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They've become a pretty important publisher. I'm not up on what games others put out this year, tho.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
For people saying no, I just wanna make sure we have the references here regarding the reviews lol. Sure, yeah, Predator was weak and Iron Man VR wasn't as strong as it could be but we all know Predator was doomed from the start and as soon as we all saw it, we knew it was gonna be awful. So that is what it is. However, even with that included, look at how damn good these scores are:

The Last of Us Part II - 93 Metacritic
Demon Souls - 92 Metacritic
Dreams - 89 Metacritic
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 85 Metacritic
Nioh 2 - 85 Metacritic
Ghost of Tsushima - 83 Metacritic
Astro's Playroom - 83 Metacritic
MLB The Show '20 - 83 Metacritic
Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 78 Metacritic
Iron Man VR - 73 Metacritic
Predator Hunting Grounds - 56 Metacritic

OpenCritic for comparisons sake (Thanks, nib95):

Demon Souls - 94 Opencritic
The Last of Us Part II - 93 Opencritic
Dreams - 90 Opencritic
Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 85 Opencritic
Nioh 2 - 85 Opencritic
Ghost of Tsushima - 85 Opencritic
Astro's Playroom - 84 Opencritic
MLB The Show '20 - 84 Opencritic
Sackboy: A Big Adventure - 78 Opencritic
Iron Man VR - 74 Opencritic
Predator Hunting Grounds - 57 Opencritic

Last edited:

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insane year with their hands tied behind their backs with Covid. And next year looks to be a banger as well.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Objectively looking at things like video games is worthless to me, honestly. I value subjective opinions, thoughts and feelings more.

There is a difference between saying "I don't like this thing," and saying, "I don't think this thing is of good quality."

I can play a game or watch a movie or read a book that doesn't appeal to my personal tastes and still somewhat determine if it's good or bad.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
For people saying no, I just wanna make sure we have the references here regarding the reviews lol. Sure, yeah, Predator was weak and Iron Man VR wasn't as strong as it could be but we all know Predator was doomed from the start and as soon as we all saw it, we knew it was gonna be awful. So that is what it is. However, even with that included, look at how damn good these scores are:

Demon's Souls - 92 Metacritic
Dreams - 89 Metacritic
Nioh 2 - 85 Metacritic
Why was Demon's Souls grayed out?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware that "Publisher of the Year" is a really a title that anyone gave a shit about. I can't recall the last time anyone uttered the phrase or discussed the topic.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insane year. I imagine only Nintendo has put together similar years.

I don't think even Nintendo had anything as consistent as this year. For them it's either have a variety of titles but nothing really major(2019) or have some of the best titles in the gen but very few(2017).

I also don't think it's controversial to say that Sony has been the best pub for the last 7 years.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Meh, I mean Spiderman is probably my favorite game that Sony has put out this past generation, but Miles Morales is essentially a standalone expansion, Demon's Souls is a remake.

I mean 2018 had the Shadow of the Colossus remake, plus God of War and Spider-Man. Additionally there was the full fledged Astro Boy debut and Detroit.

A case could be made for this year, I guess, but it's hardly conclusive IMO.

EDIT: All of this in regards to being their best year ever.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I found TLOU2 and GoT to be pretty overrated overall, but did enjoy both. I will see how I feel about Demon's Souls, Miles Morales and Astrobot (fuck Sackboy, I'll never play that crap). So...maybe? I'm trying to think of a publisher that has been better and not coming up with one off the top of my head. My GOTY so far has been RE3, but that's it from Capcom besides DMC5: SE, but that's a re-release. It'd probably be them just because of pure mass of solid titles.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I wasn't aware that "Publisher of the Year" is a really a title that anyone gave a shit about. I can't recall the last time anyone uttered the phrase or discussed the topic.

www.metacritic.com

Metacritic's 10th Annual Game Publisher Rankings

We reveal the past year's best and worst videogame publishers (based on their 2019 releases) in our 10th annual Game Publisher Rankings.

We get threads and a Metacritic list every year. This is nothing new.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
2018 was my favorite PS year ever.
2020 comes second, and it's not over yet.
2021 is shaping up to be lengendary unless there are delays.

I would say we are experiencing some of the best PS years since 1995, but it depends what genres you prefer.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's super impressive what they've done in 2020. A 7 year old console still knocking it out the park with the likes of TLOU2 and GoT. Then to hit the ground running with a new console launch and put out Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and Astrobot which nobody expected to be as good as it's turned out because how it showcases the Dualsense.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Published:

Dreams (create play share)
Nioh 2 (action rpg)
MLB The Show 20 (sports)
Predator Hunting Grounds (async MP)
Iron Man VR (VR action)
The Last of Us part 2 (horror adventure)
Ghost of Tsushima (historical open-world action rpg, raid MP)
Astro's Playroom (pack-in platformer - museum tour - controller/system showcase)
Sackboy (platformer w/couch & online mp)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (action adventure)
Demon's Souls (goty 2009/2020)

Yeah wrap it up, nobody else is close.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Why was Demon's Souls grayed out?
It has now been fixed, my friend:

Dreams - 89 Metacritic
Nioh 2 - 85 Metacritic

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Meh, I mean Spiderman is probably my favorite game that Sony has put out this past generation, but Miles Morales is essentially a standalone expansion, Demon's Souls is a remake.

I mean 2018 had the Shadow of the Colossus remake, plus God of War and Spider-Man. Additionally there was the full fledged Astro Boy debut and Detroit.

A case could be made for this year, I guess, but it's hardly conclusive IMO.

EDIT: All of this in regards to being their best year ever.

I think most people are also judging them on their PS4 output from the previous part of the year, which is The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and, of course the most important one of all, Predator: Hunting Grounds.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
No their 2009 was better but they are by far the best publisher this year, frankly embarrassing how the other companies have done in terms of output.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
their 2020 output considering quality and variety is insane. imo pound by pound it's their best year from the gen and with a bang right at the Ps5's gates.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing Sony put out this year (or really anything since Gravity Rush 2) appeals to me.

I'd put 2005 as their best year-
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Ape Escape 3
-Genji: Dawn of the Samurai
-God of War
-Gran Turismo 4
-Sly 3
-Wipeout Pure
-Ape Escape: On the Loose
-Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno about their best year ever (mainly because I can't recall other years well enough of the top of my head!) but they have to be top publisher this year, they brought a good variety of games as well as some high quality titles. I do think the number of genres of games released is really neat.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Eh, for me personally Nintendo's output was stronger. Only really cared about Miles Morales, Sackboy, and Astro from Sony.
Nintendo had Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, 3D All-Stars, Age of Calamity, Pikmin 3, Clubhouse Games, Xenoblade Chronicles, and the Pokemon DLC. That's just so much more that appeals to me.
Sony had a great year too, not to say they didn't, but it's far from their best year for me personally and far from the best publisher output this year too.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Sony knows how to end a console, them starting the PS5 very well is awesome as well it has been a great year for them.

I don't think even Nintendo had anything as consistent as this year. For them it's either have a variety of titles but nothing really major(2019) or have some of the best titles in the gen but very few(2017).

I also don't think it's controversial to say that Sony has been the best pub for the last 7 years.

If Pokemon isn't a major series I don't know what is

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
The PS5 being able to play PS4 games helped a lot with this I assume,since they wouldn't be so eager to close with such a bang the PS4 cycle,if it couldn't carry on to the next gen

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

Dreams - 89 Metacritic
Nioh 2 - 85 Metacritic
We could probably do this with other years and debate subjectively as to which Sony year was better with numerous valid results.

But unlike those other years, just about every other publisher failed to show up at the dance this year due to COVID-19 or other reasons and thus Sony decimated the competition like they've never done before.

Jus to give out a shout out to someone else... and I have no love for this company... but between Crash 4, Tony Hawk 1+2 and COD Black Ops Cold War, I'd say Activision had an above average year by their standards as well.