• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 26, 2018
They sent the Ps4 out with a BANG! and started the Ps5 with another one... I mean... The 1-2 punch of TLoU and Ghost and then the same with Miles and Demon's...sheesh.

Dreams I'm surprised they've shied away from... That's a winner and most publishers would kill for something like it. It has a ton of potential and I hope the silence surrounding it is the calm before a relaunch or something. They handled this one poorly I must say.

But the ace in their pocket is Astrobot's PlayRoom... Man that is such a fantastic game. And meatier than I thought (dashboard says it took me 7hrs to Platinum).

We also saw Sackboy and Iron Man VR getting respectable scores and they published Nioh 2 in the West if that means anything.

They'll potentially have 3-5 Game of the Year finalist for most outlets which is absurd. I know COVID-19 is gonna stall them either in 2021 or 2022 but man... They are flexing hard atm. Here's to more years like this one.

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is highly subjective. The Last Of Us 2 wasn't blowing me away (Don't hit me pls...) And Demon/Dark Souls is not my kind of game. Wich is why i'm not in a rush to get a PS5 any time soon aswell.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They've absolutely smashed it, yeah. Very impressive. I think even more stunning is that they have a killer 2021 on the horizon, too, so it's not like they've blown their load!

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Published:

Dreams (create play share)
Nioh 2 (action rpg)
MLB The Show 20 (sports)
Predator Hunting Grounds (async MP)
Iron Man VR (VR action)
The Last of Us part 2 (horror adventure)
Ghost of Tsushima (historical open-world action rpg, raid MP)
Astro's Playroom (pack-in platformer - museum tour - controller/system showcase)
Sackboy (platformer w/couch & online mp)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Marvel simulator)
Demon's Souls (goty 2009/2020)

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Reminds me of 2009. A Naughty Dog game (Uncharted 2), a Sucker Punch game (Infamous), an Insomniac game (Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time) and Demon's Souls haha.

But yeah really great year

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
This is obviously all subjective as different people like different things, but yes this is one of their best years ever, and they absolutely dunked on everyone else in my opinion.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Huh..this thread made me realise I didn't play a single thing they released this year.

But personally, just for me, I'm not even sure who I would give it to.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Strongest year Sony have ever had? Not sure. Strongest publisher this year? Yeah. Not even that close really.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I think my ps5 game timer doesn't work correctly because I platinumed astrobot but it told me i only played the game for 2 hours. I know it was longer than that haha

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not a great year for me honestly, so it's hard for me to call it their best year ever.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, at the Game Awards they should take most categories especially since CDProjectRed won't qualify this year.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is far from their best year, IMO.

Which years are better?

I think this is highly subjective. The Last Of Us 2 wasn't blowing me away (Don't hit me pls...) And Demon/Dark Souls is not my kind of game. Wich is why i'm not in a rush to get a PS5 any time soon aswell.

Of course, it's always subjective. But you should try to look at the quantity of big games and most importantly quality (even if they aren't your thing). Hard to think of many years this incredible from Sony. Or any Publisher for that matter.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
You could make a GotY nominee list with just PlayStation exclusives and it would be perfectly acceptable.

You could almost make a GotG list out of just Sony first party games lol. They are on a great run.

Sep 19, 2020
What's their best year in your opinion

I should probably clarify what I said but do bear in mind, I'm the same asshole that doesn't like TLOU2 and thinks that Ghost of Tsushima was "Just fine." I think their output this year is incredible, and I adore what I'm playing on PS5. Between God of War, Spider-Man, Astro Bot VR, Shadow of the Colossus and all of their third party partnerships that year... I personally feel like their output in 2018 was a step above what they had this year. I think they're the publisher of the year, I just don't think this is their best year in my own personal opinion.

EDIT: Son of a BITCH, I forgot about Tetris Effect.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Crazy year for sony but the best one for me is 2018, God of War, Spiderman, Shadow of the Colossus, Astro Bot, Detroit, Tetris Effect.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
2018 was damn good too:
God of War
Spider-Man
Shadow of the Colossus
Detroit
Astro Bot
Déraciné

I still don't have my PS5 so I can't really compare yet but 2020 looks to be slightly ahead. Either way, this has been a fantastic year for Sony.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, only Spiderman and Demon's Souls were a big deal for me personally
TLOU2 was mad overhyped just like the first one

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
FF7R, Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, Demon's Souls, Astro Bots Playroom, Miles Morales, and Sackboy - I would definitely say yes

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I should probably clarify what I said but do bear in mind, I'm the same asshole that doesn't like TLOU2 and thinks that Ghost of Tsushima was "Just fine." I think their output this year is incredible, and I adore what I'm playing on PS5. Between God of War, Spider-Man, Astro Bot VR, Shadow of the Colossus and all of their third party partnerships that year... I personally feel like their output in 2018 was a step above what they had this year. I think they're the publisher of the year, I just don't think this is their best year in my own personal opinion.

EDIT: Son of a BITCH, I forgot about Tetris Effect.

2018 was spectacular too. Agreed. I can see the argument it was at least on par with 2020.

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure whether it's their best ever but it's better than any other publisher this year for sure. Quality and quantity.

Just a shame that everybody always overlooks Dreams when I think it's the highest rated of them all.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I can't think of another example of a console maker killing it with two consoles from a different generation in the same year. Usually a console has an excellent line up in its final year but then the next console underwhelms initially and vice versa, but in 2020 both the PS4 and PS5 are sitting pretty.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what their best year ever is, maybe it's this one. But they definitely released the most games that are interesting to me by far this year.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sony as a Publisher, its close with some of their other years. Playstation as a whole on the other hand has had a crazy good year with exclusives.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
If God of War and Horizon ship next year they are just unstoppable.

This year was amazing. Frankly their output the last like 10 years has never made me think twice of getting a PlayStation console at launch.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's their best year ever but they've been the best this year by far. Superb games all around.