• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Back when Climax was getting cozy with Konami, working on Steel Horizon and Silent Hill Origins, the company was busy making pitches for other Konami titles. You may remember the Silent Hill PS3 / Broken Covenant pitch that I found years ago, this was made around the same time.

What makes this a bit unique is that some time was spent developing some concepts, and it wasn't really far-fetched to think it might happen based on the relationship the companies already had.

It would have been a radical departure for the series, quite typical of the 2006 era really, skipping the standard castle setting for an open-world Venice setting. The game would focus on the collecting of masks, enhancing the weapon loadouts that would have the standard Castlevania weapons, along with firearms.

It got as far as to be pitched to Konami in person, but clearly it didn't go forward. There's a fun exchange from Sam Barlow on Twitter where he mentioned they brought in a real sword.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wish konami didn't stop this series, thinking of all the castlevanias we could have had by now

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope it comes back with some fresh eyes soon. I think there are a lot of interesting ways to go, regardless of what people think of this particular pitch.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Damn that actually sounds awesome...

Really wish Castlevania never died. It was getting really comfortable with itself in 3d with Curse of Darkness and the DS games (and Aria of Sorrow) are easily some of the best metroidvania games out there

Bloodstained is fucking awesome though, so hopefully they make more of those

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That pitch sounds more Devil May Cry than Castlevania. Probably better it didn't happen

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Playing Bloodborne with the Cane whip with castlevania music in the background is the closest we'll get :(

I'm finally getting down to playing mirror of fate and it has some neat ideas but the execution is pretty poor. Understandable in a way because it was a port to the ps3 of a 3ds game. Might check out lords of shadow 2 next even if it seemed to have been a disappointment

Dec 14, 2017
I really like the premise and gameplay setup. Hope it leaned more into the flamboyant and theatrical side and not the cloak and dagger vibe with the masks.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another cancelled Castlevania game. Ive always been bummed out over the DC one.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I was thinking yesterday how a spritual sequel to Bloodborne 2 should take the jump mechanic from Sekiro and naturally become a modern Castlevania.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what could have been, As long they hire Ayami Kojima for a few paintings and character portraits, I'd be happy with almost any new Castlevania.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
bloodlines_1.jpg

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, what could have been, As long they hire Ayami Kojima for a few paintings and character portraits, I'd be happy with almost any new Castlevania.
It's been interesting to see the little bits of input that Climax got on Silent Hill Origins from Japan, so I'm sure something like that wouldn't have been impossible.