• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Jeez, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see that shit as "throwaway money". Do we have Saudi princes posting here or some shit? I am a grown-ass man, and I can buy a new console without starving to death, but that isn't the type of money I would be thoughtless with.

Ever seen the gaming setups thread? There are definitely some well to do people posting here :)

Oct 26, 2017
I could see micro prepared to sell the xsx at 400$. they'd be selling it a massive loss though.

we might see 400 w/ a 1 year sub to gamepass and gold? tied to it

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why do people think SX can't make it to $400 but it's an easy bet for many to see Sony hit $399? If one console hits that price then both will

Who is betting on 399?
Thats a ballsy ballsy bet.

Because at that price upgrading your SSD for PS5 will cost like half the price of the entire console?

Basing my pricing on theoretical cost of Samsung 980Pro/Evo.

P.S Fuck Samsung! Sabrent!

Weeaboom

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Awesome if true. I was going to buy both systems day one anyway. If the Series X comes in at $100.00 less than anticipated, I'll just add the additional funds to my game pass subscribe.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Lockhart being priced as low as $250.

Lockhart: $250
XSX: $500

That seems more reasonable I think.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Why do people think SX can't make it to $400 but it's an easy bet for many to see Sony hit $399? If one console hits that price then both will
Yep.
But it is easier for Sony to hit that price. Rumor was $450 Bom for PS5, something like $460-500 for XSX.
Isn't Lockhart a weaker 1X? $199 sounds plausible.
Not exactly.
Lockhart would certainly have an SSD, a better CPU. Technically a similarly capable GPU, but weaker in pure numbers.

Honestly it's the $199 to me that seems most unlikely.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still betting on 300 and 500 for S and X respectively.

malcolmx

Banned
May 20, 2018
It'd be cool if it turns out Lockhart is a Switch competitor. If it's $400 then Sony needs to sweat now.

Oct 26, 2017
I could see Microsoft doing exactly that, $400 XSX tied to a 1 year sub of gamepass + gold.

Though I'm still expecting Xbox Series X to be $500 and Lockhart to be $250.
now that I think about it, wasn't there some rumor 2 years or so ago about microsoft floating the idea of selling a system at a loss with a controller +game, so long as you did 6 or 12 month monthly sub sign up?

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
The person is suggesting:
Lockhart:$199
Digital only XSX: $399
XSX: $499

More realistic. But I don't see Lockhart being that cheap and 3 different units is kind of absurd.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I could only see Lockhart at $200 if it's financed like a cellphone. You agree to X number of years of Gamepass Ultimate to get that price.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
now that I think about it, wasn't there some rumor 2 years or so ago about microsoft floating the idea of selling a system at a loss with a controller +game, so long as you did 6 or 12 month monthly sub sign up?
They've had a pay-over-time plan for awhile, but it was only really available in Microsoft stores (and the total cost was more than just buying outright).

But a $199 box that you get for committing to a year or two of Game Pass Ultimate does make a bit more sense. Not a ton of sense, but more sense than just selling a new console for less than the current MSRP of your previous console.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
It would be a marketing nightmare. Sure enthusiasts would know, but the average mom and dad who buy one for their kids (which would be a good target market for Lockhart) aren't gonna research that shit.

who are these mythical "moms and dads" ? You do realise that those parents you speak of grew up with technology and indeed embrace it. I should know, I'm one of them. You all seem to have this image that today's parents are from the 1940s or something. It's complete and utter crap

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
It wouldn't be the first time they've done something like this.
www.cnet.com

Want a new Xbox 360 for $99? Pay for Xbox Live for two years

Microsoft is now selling the Xbox 360 for $99, but in order to get the deal, customers must sign up for the $15-a-month Xbox Live Gold service.

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
This is absolutely fake.

Microsoft doesn't need a $199 console. They're releasing Halo Infinite on the ONE S this year, which will already be going for that price or lower. There's simply no point in building another machine that hits that price point.
the point is to get millions of people hooked into an infrastructure that will net microsoft billions of dollars a year
a $199 next gen console is equivalent to the "14 day free trial" from every streaming service

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
the point is to get millions of people hooked into an infrastructure that will net microsoft billions of dollars a year
a $199 next gen console is equivalent to the "14 day free trial" from every streaming service
Lmaaaaaaaooooo, it's the Lockhart price that's absolutely crazy. Only way this happens is if Microsoft mandates gamepass to even use the console.

Hmm. It depends how severely they're willing to lock you down if you don't pay for Game Pass. A disc free model would allow them to genuinely run with an always-online model, and allow them to render the console completely inert if the subscription lapses. Requiring Ultimate to even use the box for purchased games or apps like Netflix would be a full rollback to the "Xbox Live Silver/Gold" era - but wierdly the market might be more accepting of it now than it was in the mid-2000s.

I think that's the only condition where I'd believe a $199 box exists in any form.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

There have been so many rumors since 2018, including an xCloud device that only needed a small amount of compute power (this would be less hardware than Lockhart).

small xCloud device with a controller
Lockhart
Anaconda

All under the Project Scarlett umbrella

Since then, the small xCloud device hasn't been heard of. xCloud was announced to work on mobile devices.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I just cannot see the XSX being $399, and definitely not the Lockhart being $199. The former seems very unrealistic but possible. The latter seems like a translation error.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Video game consultant Arthur Gies tweeted yesterday he believes the PS5 would come in at $600. Now we hear $400 for the Series X? No way there's gonna be a $200 price difference.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A ridiculously cheap console as a gateway into Game Pass would do wonders for them. That said, $400 seems insane.

Dec 31, 2017
User Banned (1 month): platform warring, accusations of astroturfing, hostility, prior bans for hostility and platform warring
It would be a marketing nightmare. Sure enthusiasts would know, but the average mom and dad who buy one for their kids (which would be a good target market for Lockhart) aren't gonna research that shit.
I don't even know how you can say something like this and keep a straight face. How much does Sony pay you, I'd like to get on their payroll as well.

ajl19

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if this has any ounce of truth, its gonna be "get an XSX/Lockhart for $400/$200 by signing up for a 2-year subscription to Gamepass Ultimate at $15/month (early termination fees apply)." Which I suspect is not going to be very popular, given all the standalone deals MS has been throwing out there for GPU.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
That's crazy. BUT, that's the edge that MS will need to get ahead.

If you think about it, it makes sense. Get the console in peoples hands, get them on gamepass with monthly subs.

They have 10 million subs right now. Let's assume half is NOT paying the monthly and 5 million are paying the minimum $10 a month. That's $50 million a month easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.