• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
$500 and $300 (or maybe even a bit lower if MS is really trying the push Lockhart) is something I could get - but $400 and $200 seems completely off the wall.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
From what I have heard from Polish devs, this seems quite possible. There are certainly 2 consoles but afaik price point seemingly hasn't been decided yet. Microsoft is willing to take a big loss on every single unit, though.

What is more, I heard that Microsoft was trying to acquire couple and successfully acquired one of the biggest Polish game devs which will also be announced on July event.
Why would 3rd party devs know anything about what Microsoft plan to sell both of their consoles for?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Sorry but that reads like the fever dream of a fanboy who was upset over how much better Sony's showing was than MS' May travesty.

Surprise me, MS.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I have no idea what Is up with MS and their naming of the new consoles, I had to read this like eight times to figure out what was going on.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds right in the vein of "MS has more money than god so they will take a loss on hardware and undercut Sony" that preceded this generation.

AKA: Bullshit.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Currently working in a very large company (bigger than MS) and I can tell you for certain that divisions can tap into additional capital. There's only so much finance is willing to offer and each division submits their plans for consideration and rationalization, so it comes down to what finance and leadership find compelling enough to fund based on expected risk and reward.

It's a bit like being a startup looking for funding from investors, except your investor is your finance department and leadership.
I know it happens and it varies from company to company but I'm just saying it's an important thing to keep in mind everytime someone begins with the "well MS has endless money" narrative.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
If Series X is $399, I will import one even though I don't have an Live account. Sony's PS5 digital edition is giving me bad vibes because in Asia, they can afford to mess with us with pricing in order to sell that SKU. Not looking forward to Sony Malaysia's $150 gap between Digital only and full console.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I have heard from Polish devs, this seems quite possible. There are certainly 2 consoles but afaik price point seemingly hasn't been decided yet. Microsoft is willing to take a big loss on every single unit, though.

What is more, I heard that Microsoft was trying to acquire couple and successfully acquired one of the biggest Polish game devs which will also be announced on July event.
People Can Fly? Techland?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
If they sell a console for 200 it's gonna be absolute garbage. In fact it sounds like a nightmare for devs to get their games running for it

First, the implication is that they would be taking a huge loss and target subscription-based services. Second, It will likely be a discless console with equivalent power to that of the Xbox 1X but with more future proof features, e.g. an ssd. Third, some of the most graphically demanding games like DOOM have ended up on the Switch, because the engine is scalable. Scalability is the future and most developers know it.

In other words, it won't be garbage. It will be a stripped down version of the series X and be fine.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you read the article they say this

Speaking on the Beyond3D forums, eastmen, who has proved in the past to have access to Microsoft insider information,

I can not find anything in any of his posts that suggest he has insider info.
This is the only thing I can find

forum.beyond3d.com

Xbox Series X|S Backward Compatibility Enhancements Detailed [XSX|S BC]

Key snippet: Ronald also spoke with IGN, and when asked if "thousands" meant that the goal was every single Xbox One game – in addition the hundreds of Xbox 360 and original Xbox games already compatible with Xbox One that will also play on Xbox Series X – Ronald said, "The goal is definitely...

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...nts-detailed-xsx-bc.61774/page-2#post-2129123

this is himself making the board aware of that he knew of the mercury name before the other site.
but that was not insider knowledge.. that was just some of the people in the xbox Insider program who had found the name in the system.. that is not some info he got from someone in the know..

I can't find any other "insider" stuff he got right anywhere..

Oct 27, 2017
This would be awesome actually since it'll make the PS5 have a real competition for the generation. We NEED that or else you end up with a scenario like Intel/AMD had for several years.

Also, a $200 1080P console would really encourage a faster transition into the next gen. Only hardcore adults or rich kids would get a console at launch but for that price and during a stay-at-home economic collapse, this could make it accessible to the average gamers.
First, the implication is that they would be taking a huge loss and target subscription-based services. Second, It will likely be a discless console with equivalent power to that of the Xbox 1X but with more future proof features, e.g. an ssd. Third, some of the most graphically demanding games like DOOM have ended up on the Switch, because the engine is scalable. Scalability is the future and most developers know it.

In other words, it won't be garbage. It will be a stripped down version of the series X and be fine.

Don't forget that 1080P is 4X less pixels than 4k. I imagine the GPU would be much cheaper while offering the same result if you're playing on a 1080P screen.

Again, this pricing wouldn't make sense to an engineer but as a consumer, it's awesome.

Last edited:

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know about $400, but I have always posted that MS will be very aggressive with their pricepoint. Plus free Gamepass for 3 or 6 months.
It is the best method for them to get ahead in the first few months of the gen.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Nearly 1000 posts on a WCCFtech article citing a random forum poster who has no history of accurate leaks at all?

Surely there has to be some sourcing standards for threads... as much as I would love these boxes to be $399.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Era slowing down because of this thread?

Anyway, cool, could be $400 USD for XSX, $249 for the Lite version.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Hmm.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
How in sweet baby jesus name is this thread not locked?

Let me answer this with an original eastmen post

Yea I can't say much maybe 50% of the time I can give more info but then the other 50% of the time is well the other half of the time? Makes sense ? Sometimes you gotta take that first step even when there is another 10 steps waiting for you and maybe you name each step something different but its all the same flight of stairs. But you know maybe that's a fat person thing ?

forum.beyond3d.com

Key snippet: Ronald also spoke with IGN, and when asked if "thousands" meant that the goal was every single Xbox One game – in addition the hundreds of Xbox 360 and original Xbox games already compatible with Xbox One that will also play on Xbox Series X – Ronald said, "The goal is definitely...

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Don't really care what the console price is. Well I do, but within reason. I'm going to get it regardless, but I just want good content :)

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
MS already come out and told us they keeping they games cross gen they not going have anything only for SX

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anything wccftech reports is nearly always bullshit.

...I'm not saying that what they're claiming is impossible but they're most likely just talking out their ass like they always do.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me answer this with an original eastmen post

forum.beyond3d.com

christ...

Last edited:

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure about the final price but I didn't heard through the branches that MS was ready to drop the price of XSX 100-150$ below what Sony is intending to sell the PS5 for, 399$ would make sense in that case.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. Source seems fairly reliable but I'm not getting hopes or expectations up. The Inside Xbox in May was supposed to have enormous megatons, it was mainly indies and AAs. The Sony presser was supposed to be an industry-changing onslaught with Silent Hill and Final Fantasy level of exclusives - we know how that went. I definitely expect this to be one of Microsoft's all-time greatest moments with all the studios and their aggressive strategy, but all the "mic drop" talks make me suspicious because we've done this song and dance very recently and it was unwarranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.