• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the bill of materials rumored to be $450-500? Taking a $50-100 loss is not unheard of, PS3 was losing $300 per console at launch.

This may be MS being extremely aggressive to win back market share. I still think $499, but who knows.
BOM is literally just the cost of parts. It doesn't include costs for manufacturing / shipping / retailer cut and so on... So they would already be taking a $50-100 loss to retail at the hypothetical 499 everyone is expecting the XBSX/PS5 are. That's why them eating even more of a loss to get to 399 (especially MS who is supposed to have a cheaper unit) sounds so unrealistic.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I just feel like to feasibly sell Lockhart at $200 without taking a huge loss and solely relying on subscriptions, they'd probably have to do things like putting a significantly smaller SSD in as well as not having a disc drive. Along with just having less power than the One X.

I do think though that if Lockhart is $300 and the PS5 Digital Edition is $400, it is going to be quite difficult to sell someone on Lockhart when you might get so much more power for $100 more.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This is one of those rumors where, if it turns out to be true, it's really unfortunate it leaked.

Like, people's brains would be falling out of their heads if MS came out and said XSX for $399, XSS for $199.

(Of course the whole premise of a $199 XSS is absurd.)

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Phil said they will not be beat on power and price this generation.

He will do 399. If its 499, sony will match or beat it. If its 399 sony can not match it. I feel this will be accurate .

He said they won't be out of position on power or price. I think he's looking to avoid a disaster like X1 where it was $100 more for a weaker system.

We know XSX is more powerful, so it might make sense for it to command a slightly higher price, but I imagine they'll be very close.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They could have capitalised the name of the companies in the article.

EDIT: Ah, I see, they're quotes from a forum post. Sigh.

Oct 25, 2017
Both PS5 and XSX being $399 based on BOM, would be massive losses for years. This is a crazy gamble as probably shareholders would feel this shit, that's why I will not believe anything under $499 for PS5/XSX unless I see it announced.

According to that Bloomberg article the PS5 is around $450 to make, I could see them taking a loss on the the cheaper digital version to get to $400. Digital version is probably $15-30 cheaper?

If the article was accurate it sounded like costs were high due to the current climate so even if they were taking a loss at launch components could get cheaper. Comes down to how valuable digital only consumers are considered I guess.

Last edited:

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
If this pressures Sony to go cheaper than the current estimates (£400-£500) it will turn a "Maybe at launch, maybe later, depends on the launch lineup" to "100% at launch".

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
He said they won't be out of position on power or price. I think he's looking to avoid a disaster like X1 where it was $100 more for a weaker system.

We know XSX is more powerful, so it might make sense for it to command a slightly higher price, but I imagine they'll be very close.
Exactly. $100 more for weaker hardware and a bundled accessory was awful. More expensive with more power and no fluff is fine.

Deleted member 19996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really wish Microsoft was putting out an all digital version of the Series X (not the weaker Lockhart targeting 1080p only).

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
wait $200 lockhart and $400 series X?

I seriously don't believe that price when a One X is $299 on sale now

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
@chris1515 anexanhume I know you guys are on Beyond3d - how accurate is this guy.

The account is 12 years old, and beyond3d is rather strict on posters, so I'd say there's inherent validity.
giphy.gif

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If it is $400 they don't need to be waiting for Sony forever... just say it.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
$400 Series X would be fucking massive and would force Sony to seriously consider matching it.

still think $500 for both though

Oct 31, 2017
What strikes me the most about this is what I believe it was Phil Spencer said earlier "it's okay if not everyone buys a series X this year". Like if it's priced at $400 then yes people are going to want to buy it like crazy, that'd be insane if it hits that price point. Just seems incongruent with the previous statement.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
XSX at $400 with the amount of power under the hood, it's hard to say no. Or $200 for the lesser version? Then you're looking crazy to not jump in.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It will be very interesting to see how both sides play the price game. It could go either way.

A cheap Lockhart puts pressure on Sony but Sony coming out of nowhere with a Digital Edition PS5, could put pressure on MS too.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
maybe these prices are if you agree to sign up for gamepass for a set number of years??

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
$400 for Series X would blow my mind and I might go MS if the PS5 isn't the same price or cheaper

pretzel

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 9, 2019
Germany
People seem to forget one simple fact here:
Sony market value: <100 billion
Microsoft market value: >1 trillion
They have the money to sell for big loss. The question is if they have the will.

Status
Not open for further replies.