• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Live look at Era when cloud enhanced games are talked about

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif
lol

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i mean, he's not wrong. ...but it's a bit like the SSD thing. if you want to make the gameplay leverage the hardware to it's full extent then you have to make the game exclusive to the hardware. that's a bit at odds with the current market environment of "scalability" and "cross platform".

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
It's cool tech, but doesn't change radically how games are played.
False. In a normal game you never dreamed of visiting the complete world and you could never dream of using a game during a pandemic to visit your home country and talking about landmarks or the current weather with your family over there. Flight simulator enables this.

Btw, It would've taken 10, 20 or more years to recreate the complete planet without cloud.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
False. In a normal game you never dreamed of visiting the complete world and you could never dream of using a game during a pandemic to visit your home country and talking about landmarks or the current weather with your family over there. Flight simulator enables this.

Btw, It would've taken 10, 20 or more years to recreate the complete planet without cloud.

Outside of flight sims, curently, where else would you apply this stuff.

Like i said, cool for you. Happy you find this stuff impressive enough that it changes the game for you. For me, it ain't there.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
In what instances are these types of experiences fun, instead of just being cool?

What suits the power of the cloud?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I would apply other stuff and even at a smaller scale you can leverage cloud compute for development.

Cloud gaming is still in it's infancy, but there is some good tech coming, be it destruction, having 1000 players BR or which a university made for Witcher 3, smart AI. What they mean by that are NPC trained by ML to give you more than 5 questions to ask...

You could ask where he found the sword, you could ask if he knows where XY is without the typical handcrafted questions and answers. More in the veins of Siri, which then developers can restrict, so you can't ask who the end fight is.... Just a much more dynamic world achieved by cloud.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I mean I could fly a plane in MS flight simulator from the 90's. Or pilot wings. The core experience of flying a plane through the air isn't different. ;)
I am baffled by people excited for GT7 and FM. The core experience is the same as this /s

timthumb.php

I'd say this highly debatable. Having the entire world available for streaming in an incredibly leap forward over over flight simulators.
Absolutely a leap forward and you can do stuff like flying from Japan to germany to america, which is something you couldn't do before.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Like i said, cool for you. Happy you find this stuff impressive enough that it changes the game for you. For me, it ain't there.
To the first part.
tenor.gif

To the second part.
tenor.gif

How is the experience not changed by adding all that cloud technology?
You are really going to die on the sword of "its the same experience" you still fly planes?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
You are really going to die on the sword of "its the same experience" you still fly planes?
Might aswell cancel 9-50 gen (9th being PS5, Series X|S and Switch), because the core experience will stay the same. You drive cars, you shoot people, you fly. What's even the point of consoles?

/S

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
To the first part.
tenor.gif

To the second part.
tenor.gif

Not sure what else to say to that argument. Its pretty much "idk what else to use basically unlimited computing power for, so its not useful for anything."

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
In what instances are these types of experiences fun, instead of just being cool?

What suits the power of the cloud?

Why not use the cloud technology to push the boundaries of the hardware? The cloud is able to take some pressure off of the hardware and is able to access tons of storage. We already have people complaining about the size of some games.

I think some people just don't want to see the possibilities because they are resistant to having to be connected online.

What you don't want is a system that relies on the internet (Stadia and pre Xbox One launch). You also don't want to stifle innovation/technology because you don't like something.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
"They said the same thing in 2013"

I'm old enough to have seen multiple tech ideas that were promised before their time and failed, and eventually became a success when the tech matured.

Take VR for example. VR had been on the cards for decades. Every attempt to make it a consumer product failed. Yet here we are, with VR adoption growing day by day.

tablet PC? Microsoft tried and failed early on. Any tablet in the 90s/early 2000s would have been heavy, bulky and had poor battery life. Now see how the iPad is a billion dollar business for Apple, and how Surface Pros are well received in the market.

Jun 17, 2018
No thank you, keep games local to the device and build them so that they utilise physical hardware. I couldn't care less if the technology allows never seen before games.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
No thank you, keep games local to the device and build them so that they utilise physical hardware. I couldn't care less if the technology allows never seen before games.

I see a conflict here, if you like physical hardware, I imagine you like console generations and how they allow developers to create more detailed worlds and better gameplay, right? What you seem to be scared about is the cloud and usually when this happens people come up with some misunderstanding about how the technology works and how it will continue to improve. You might also be talking about needing to have the physical game there with you, if that is the case, I don't have a lot to say, you are the type of person that enjoys more the package than experience the game itself offers and thankfully that group is getting smaller.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You fly here.
EeMwAlmWAAI6Ev1.png

And you fly here.
2020-07-30-product-3.jpg

giphy.gif

You got me there.
No way to fight this argument.

Do you play any multiplayer games?
If not....then I fully see why you would "scared" of cloud computing.
Luckily if youve managed to avoid multiplayer games this far into console generations chances are any innovations utilizing cloud technology would go right over your head anyway, so no need to worry.

What ever games you play now they will still exist in the future.
People who want to go forward with technology....well they will go forward with it, its not like embracing cloud technology will stop people from playing local only games.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To the first part.
tenor.gif

This isn't what I said: It's great tech for Ms's flight sim.
But it's limited to flights sims as the tech is currently.

Don't take this personally.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Flight Sim won many awards last year almost entirely because of how the tech helped make the game better and folks are still really in here suggesting that this is nothing but empty promises 🤔🤔🤔🤔

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
This isn't what I said: It's great tech for Ms's flight sim.
But it's limited to flights sims as the tech is currently.

Don't take this personally.

That's not correct at all. Battlefield does part of the physics calculations on the server side. The AI for Titanfall also runs on the cloud. This is already happening and by having the full games running on the server side, then developers will be able to take this a lot further.

"Because Titanfall's advanced AI is handled by the Azure servers, your Xbox's or PC's innards can be used to achieve more detailed graphics and the game's silky-smooth frame rate. The Titan bodyguards, dropships and legions of AI-controlled combatants are essentially free from a processing-power standpoint. Without Redmond's cloud, it's highly likely that Titanfall's six-versus-six player limit would be painfully apparent. Since these features live on remote servers, though, making sure they seamlessly appear in-game is paramount."

www.engadget.com

A closer look at Titanfall's not-so-secret weapon: Microsoft's cloud

While you were busy running along walls and throwing missiles back at your opponents during the Titanfall beta, countless data centers across the world were making sure that each AI-controlled Titan bodyguard had your back. Much of the frenetic action in Respawn Entertainment's debut game rests...

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The day games go fully cloud based AND wants you to pay for them separately is the day the second video game crash is starting.

I ain't paying for that. And I can't imagine many will.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The day games go fully cloud based AND wants you to pay for them separately is the day the second video game crash is starting.

I ain't paying for that. And I can't imagine many will.
Whats the difference between a fully cloud based game and what we have now in always online stuff?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More horsepower can let you do things you can't otherwise. A cloud setup can have more power than any $500 local console can or even a pretty high end PC rig.

It's just a matter of if some one is given a budget and mandate to make a game that takes advantage of that.

But I mean we can already see examples of Cloud games being better, like Control on the Switch had ray tracing effects the PS4 and XB1 versions didn't have. When Amazon has games streaming from PCs that have 4080 or even 5080 GPUs in the future, they're going to have graphical effects the PS5/XBSX can't handle.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Whats the difference between a fully cloud based game and what we have now in always online stuff?

The lines get blurred more and more, yes.
But I'm not and never will, ever, pay single prices for a f'n video stream of a game. That's worthless to me. You can already say we don't own anything anymore, but then, you literally don't own anything anymore to any degree.

And I also simply don't want to support this sad future. For the pure fact of wanting to play my games natively on my hardware in real 1080p-4K alone and then everything else I mentioned.
Just no.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017

I'm old enough to have seen multiple tech ideas that were promised before their time and failed, and eventually became a success when the tech matured.

Take VR for example. VR had been on the cards for decades. Every attempt to make it a consumer product failed. Yet here we are, with VR adoption growing day by day.

tablet PC? Microsoft tried and failed early on. Any tablet in the 90s/early 2000s would have been heavy, bulky and had poor battery life. Now see how the iPad is a billion dollar business for Apple, and how Surface Pros are well received in the market.
Indeed.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I remember similar things being said for Crackdown 3, regarding Cloud destruction. Hopefully it'll be more refined down the road and used for different things.

Like with Machine Learning being used to help develop assets a lot more quickly, hopefully some parts of game development will speed up and be of the high quality needed to get work done.
To be fair, the Crackdown demo did work with regards to Cloud based calculations for destructions. They didn't however manage to turn the tech demo into a fully functional game offering (outside of multiplayer at least), but that doesn't mean it couldn't work.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Fully cloud based mean the game is rendered and ran in the cloud then streamed to the individual player or like Flight Sim, there is a digital twin and the game streams data that isn't stored/computed/rendered locally.

Always online just means you're connected to the server and you're trading data back and forth, not really any major rendering or processing being done.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
It's easy to laugh at the guy since the tech has had a fairly dubious existence in gaming so far, but if I'm being honest, I want the guy that is the head of cloud gaming for MS to be a true believer. I believe that if they keep pushing they can find more opportunities, like Flight Sim, where the tech can shine.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, isn't the kind of stuff Fortnite does leveraged by the cloud? Those live events and all that crazy stuff, of course it's not using heavy computational power or anything, but it's still a glimpse at those "unique experiences" we could see if they decided to go all out, right?

In my mind at least, this is exactly right. I think it's a question of capacity/capability by the Xbox and Azure divisions, which can then get creatives and publishers excited. In some ways it doesn't matter if it doesn't end up catching on in a "primary focus" sense; It doesn't exist at the expense of traditional offerings.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

I remember playing a VR 1-on-1 combat game in the 80s that I guess would be VR equivalent of Pong. The units themselves must have cost thousands as you each had to stand on a large, dedicated platform.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Aren't the always online game mp by nature? I can't think of many sp games that require you to be connected.

Anyway, I hope the industry doesn't go all in on cloud/online only games.
Hitman, but for no good reason I think. Death Stranding or The Tomorrow Children are kinda MP/SP hybrids, leaning mostly SP. Something like Genshin Impact too?

Flight Simulator 2020 is the best example of a purely SP game that depends on the cloud.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think they've shown how it can and will work. Yes it's only one game but Flight Simulator is a huge leap forward for the tech and it'll be interesting to see what happens next. They're bullish because they've shown it can work. Now we just need more examples or after awhile touting FS will wear thin.

Also, I love your avatar pic.

Yeah, I was being flippant. MSFS is actually a good example where there are benefits.