• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
71030239.jpg

here's hoping it works better the 2nd time around

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am basically an offline gamer, by choice as well as tech limitations.
However, cloud made possible Flight Simulator latest incarnation.
I forgot the size of the game... 2petabytes iirc, impractical offline if you wanted to enjoy the full game.
Platform resources cost money, Storage is cheap but not the rest and there is latency if you need to share processing client side and server side. They can't reasonably throw processing resources for a single player that would be that much better than a high end desktop, negating the scalability advantage you could have. However, more games on the scale of flight simulator ? Yeah, that's nice.
Cloud gaming is a good way to use their resources during downtimes, that's why all cloud providers want to do it.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
They've been saying this for years and continuously fail to show this being true. I'd love to believe this to be true, but the real-time nature of video games means that the latency inherent in cloud services is a big hurdle to overcome.

This could be more applicable to MMOs, where everyone's partitioned into servers/realms, but would require the extraneous services to be hosted in the same data center to minimize latency issues. That by itself isn't particularly challenging, but it also isn't cheap.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but cloud offering "unique experiences" has been a talking point for years with no one being able to really show it off.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Oh yes, I too came in to say "gOoGlE", but i was beaten by literally everyone on the forum. This phrase has been overplayed; How about some examples in the form of actual games?

Such as the experience of losing access to all your games when your cloud provider goes under.
How is this different from how purchases from PSN, XBL, Steam, etc work? (Legit don't know)

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe it when I play it. Stop with the theoretical and start develop games that take advantage of cloud computing.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Time is a flat circle. Alarming that's it's still being spoken of like this without anything to really show for it.

Edit: ahh Flight Simulator, that's right. Didn't always work for me but could never tell what was my hardware, their software, or this in the background.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Flight Simulator ? I thought he talked about things not yet possible, so it can't be that ?

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Stadia people said the same thing.
Came here to say this.

I think the reality is simply that you have to have a pretty lucrative game model that you're very confident in to make the investment in building something like this from the ground up. And it's a double-edged sword:
  1. If it fails, you're probably out a shit-ton of money.
  2. If it succeeds (and success in this context probably required huge player counts) you're probably also kinda fucked because the cloud computing capacity required to support this "previously impossible" game is going to be really expensive I would think.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Is this not how Flight Simulator works? And if so, there's a game not possible without it. All those petabytes of data

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Previously impossible game experiences like "never owning the software you buy" and "having no control over the experience being streamed to you, including limited or no mod functionality". Great, I can't wait.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Isn't Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 already using the Power of the Cloud™ for something that'd be unfeasible offline (huge amount of data streaming to match the scale of the real world)?

Yes, I believe it streams in the map data along with other info like real-time weather and live air traffic control data.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We are closer now than when they first said it. They will be the first big video game company to really show it off since the other two aren't there. So I see nothing wrong with the statement.

edit: never mind we are there with flight simulator

Jan 4, 2018
Join Xbox Game Studios as an innovative leader and help us achieve our mission to reach over 3 billion gamers.

We are seeking a Senior Director, Cloud Gaming to shape and drive a new initiative focused on making great games designed for the cloud. You will partner with external developers to create a roadmap for producing new game products, plus building an internal team to navigate relationships between partner teams within Xbox and Microsoft, bringing new cloud-based technologies into our games.

careers.microsoft.com

Senior Director, Cloud Gaming - Xbox Game Studios in Redmond, Washington, United States | Engineering at Microsoft

Apply for Senior Director, Cloud Gaming - Xbox Game Studios job with Microsoft in Redmond, Washington, United States. Engineering at Microsoft

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We are closer now than when they first said it. They will be the first big video game company to really show it off since the other two aren't there. So I see nothing wrong with the statement.

edit: never mind we are there with flight simulator

Yeah, Flight Simulator shows it but what other experiences would work as well, have to wait and see. Don't think it's as laughable as it was before but I will believe it when I see it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
A longtime AAA dev whos ironically not a believer in full streaming was telling me about this month's ago. Said it's real and it'll have more impact on AAA gaming this gen than full streaming. He's not one to believe the hype so I took it seriously. Look out for hybrid solutions.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I believe it streams in the map data along with other info like real-time weather and live air traffic control data.

But I wouldn't say it's impossible. Real time real weather, real traffic are very cool, but ultimately it would be the same game without it. Same for satellite imaginery. Enhanced by cloud more like.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't mind but it would suck to lock certain experiences behind a 24/7 online conection in the game, as far as I know you can play the ''cloud'' experience of Flight Simulator offline because of shaders or something among these lines, so if all games follows this it would be cool.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
FYI: this is the original interview.
gamerant.com

Interview: Microsoft's Head of Cloud Gaming James Gwertzman Talks Past, Present, and Future of Gaming Tech

In an interview with Game Rant, Microsoft's head of cloud gaming explains cloud gaming services and talks about where the industry is headed.
Where things are getting interesting is that companies are starting to add levels of services that aren't just raw compute and storage, but that are dedicated specifically to gaming. That's exactly what PlayFab was. PlayFab was one of the first companies providing a set of services that lives in the cloud that you as a developer could use in your game, and you didn't have to worry about running the server.... You can use a service like a leaderboard, or our matchmaker, or our analytics, or content updates, or any of those services we offer. You get to just use the service, and it just works without having to worry about updating or managing it.

GR: So you're providing a lot of backend infrastructure for the online components of games, and part of the appeal of that is it's pre-packaged and scalable, so developers can rely on that instead of having to do it themselves.

JG: Exactly, and because of that it speeds up development, and as a developer you can focus on the good bits and the fun bits instead of focusing on infrastructure that, frankly, you just want it to work and you don't want to focus on.
JG: Well, I love talking about Flight Simulator. In my mind, this is the perfect example of a cloud-native game that would not be possible without the cloud. But I would parse what you said a little more narrowly: it's not that this is a game that was only possible at the scale of a Microsoft. It was only possible at the scale of the cloud. One of the cool things is you don't have to be a very big company to be able to use the cloud at that level.

One of the things this game did that was so remarkable was that it took satellite data from all over the earth... so that AI could take the satellite images and imply geometry, and make up geometry for the whole planet in a way that would have been impossible for humans to do. It would've been tens of thousands of artists building the earth in 3D, but the computer can do it. Once you've built the model once and it works, once you've trained it, you can run the model on the entire earth. And, it only took 72 hours. It took a massive amount of compute power, but that's the advantage of the cloud. You can grab thousands of servers for 72 hours and then release them when you're done. That's expensive, but you don't have to be a big company to do that. You can lease the data from somewhere and rent the server space.
GR: To shift a bit, how do you see this future of creation and delivery of content through the cloud integrating with platforms like VR and mobile?

JG: ...We have a number of "industry priority scenarios." It doesn't roll of the tongue, but they're things that we think the industry really cares about today that may be pain points that we're trying to help with. The first one on our list of five is to accelerate game production with the cloud....

This act of content creation, once you have it in the cloud, distribution becomes more fluid. We see this with Xcloud. It started out as just racking Xboxes in datacenters and streaming it. Now we're getting more experience with it, and you may be able to build game experiences that would not be possible without running in the cloud. Games were you can have lots of players in a single environment interacting in new ways...

Xcloud was about putting Xboxes in the cloud *laugh* but the broader term is pixel streaming, where you're running GPUs in the cloud and streaming it down. Initially pixel streaming is going to be useful in non-gaming scenarios like architecture or retail where you want a 3D experience but you don't have to have the hardware. That will then move into gaming and you'll se developers leveraging experiences that go beyond what was possible before.
The answers are pretty reasonable considering the context.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
But I wouldn't say it's impossible. Real time real weather, real traffic are very cool, but ultimately it would be the same game without it. Same for satellite imaginery. Enhanced by cloud more like.

By that logic.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is totally doable on a GameBoy advance.
It just wouldnt have voice acting, 3d models, a third person camera ultimately it would be the same game without it.

Part of the experience of the simulator is having the whole world and every single airport in the world.

If you get rid of all the airports how the fuck is it the same game?
Get rid of the weather but its the same game.
Get rid of the map ohh but its the same game.
So get rid of 90% of the missions in any game you gonna tell me its ultimately the same game after the fact?

Mate come on man, thats a really reductive argument.
Flight Simulator 2020 wouldnt be possible without Cloud Computing.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think I've heard someone say this again, the problem is still that you have too design a game around being always online I guess?

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Enhanced by cloud more like.

Yeah, that is the best way of describing it.

That's probably what console games with the "power of the cloud" will be unless they're willing to run the risk of games being unplayable when you lose a decent connection. Although I suppose always online games are already like this.

I'd rather games went the enhanced route rather than requiring the cloud at all times.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Flight Sim is already showing what they can do. It's going to evolve as the hardware available in Azure improves as well.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Bit weird how people are forgetting about flight simulator.
Which uses cloud streaming for loading in other parts of the world while you are flying.

Microsoft has been showing the next Microsoft Flight Simulator and one of the things the company, along with Asobo, has been telling us is that they are going to stream the geo data to our computers.

Now, in a world where YouTube, Twitch, Netflix and other services are very well-known by our users, and where companies such as Google are trying to push game streaming into the market, it's quite understandable that the word "streaming" may cause some confusion in some simmer's minds.

Browsing around the interwebs (and especially on social media) we can find things such as "the performance of Microsoft Flight Simulator will depend on your internet speed because the game is rendered on the cloud", or "you can't play offline because the game is streamed into your computer".

The offline mode allows it to cache one area of the world, the streaming being used whenever you are online.

Taken from an article about cloud streaming for flight sim.

From this article https://www.helisimmer.com/articles/how-microsoft-flight-simulator-streaming-works

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Before people come in with the lazy takes, think about it for a moment.

In the traditional online game model, the game logic has the be synchronized over the internet, from server to players. This inherently limits the scope of games because event is delayed by significant ping.

But in the cloud model, the game logic is synchronized over the local network in the same data center. It does open up new possibilities. Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it's not a real possibility.
Its just really hard to make well, and whatever game is made with the cloud wont be that accesible thanks to connection issues. The tech itself though is pretty transformative, there are already some games MS themselves made that use it to great effect, like Flight Simulator 2020.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
It's why Crackdown 3 was the most beloved and critically acclaimed game of the past decade

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Uh huh.

Like I get the vision. However, they stated this vision in 2012 before the launch of XB1.

I am simply not impressed until MS show us a tangible service or product instead of pitching us a business model.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Just because we've heard this before and it didn't pan out at the time doesn't mean they're wrong. I swear, gamers have like zero foresight. Give it time. Decrying this is like shitting on VR after having only experienced the Virtual Boy.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Honestly, now that Flight Sim is out, I think they've earned the right to talk about this again. That game is amazing.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Almost every post in this thread is low effort drive by trolling nonsense.

This is a world in which MS Flight SIM exists a game simply not possible without the cloud.