• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's wild that y'all argue about teraflops when the vast majority don't know what it means.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any dev arguing that console power cannot adequately be described by a fight between two Dragon Ball Z characters is clearly a [insert your preferred console here] fanboy.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You could say the reverse too. The difference between the two today is far smaller than it was back then.
This, and there was simply so much wrong with the XB1 at the start that it was basically "pick your thing to criticise" and the underpowered machine became a focus to many. There is literally nothing technically wrong with the PS5, like you say the difference in GPU spec is smaller, with the biggest obvious difference being the SSD which is almost 2.5x faster, which is a whopping difference so naturally it gets a lot of focus.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Look anything around 10tflops especially for a gaming console is stunning. All games will run at 4k 60fps easily. Differences will not be noticeable in multiplats anyway or will be minor.

We all know developers won't be able to help themselves after like six months and then everything will be back at 30fps again. It always happens that way.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
No, because that is the GPU Tflop count that will be available to both consoles and specifically the PS5 the majority of the time. Even if the PS5 had to drop 2% or 50 MHz on the GPU clock (to claw back 10% in power) in that rare power load limit scenario, it'd still keep you above the 10 Tflop range, so there's no real point in arguing otherwise except to score points in the war.

Yeah, I feel that we are making a big deal over such a small performance drop.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO does wccftech stand for We Can't Comprehend Fucking Tech?
giphy.gif

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I wonder if we would have these discussions if PS5 had the rumored 13TF practically everyone in the prediction thread was salivating over instead of 9-10

That's the insane thing here people are trying to sweep under the rug. All you have to do is simply view the thread and look at 99% of the posts from before the reveal. Shit, even look at less than 24hours before the reveal. The thread was solely about PS5 speculation since XSX was moved to another thread, and it was ALL about teraflops. Insider this, teraflops that. 13TF hypetrain this, lol GitHub that. "But Matt said this," etc.

Multiple people even correctly guessed the SSD speeds (5+~) in conjunction with what we already knew, but were drowned out by teraflop talk. It wasn't really a talking point then.

In my opinion, if you're going to console warrior over speculation and shout from the rooftops about how teraflops don't matter and never did (which is a blatant lie by looking at how previous gens played out), you should probably scrub your post history so the transparancy isn't as noticable (not you, I mean in general!).

All this bickering for nothing. We all had shitty HDDs now and have for almost two decades. Now we're jumping past regular SSDs, then past crazy expensive NVMe SSDs, straight to custom silicon NVMe SSDs. Microsoft's SSD is incredibly faster than the best Samsung SSD you can buy, by a large margin. Sony's is EVEN BETTER THAN THAT. So why is all this childish bullshit coming from grown ass men even a thing right now?

Edit: two typos

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Funny how everyone focused on Tflops back in 2013 when it was 1.81 vs 1.33...
Lets time travel back to 2013

MS announce Xbox One, the multitasking console to rule the living room. Price? 500 dollars bundled with a Kinect (that nobody wants). Features: No used games, always online, if offline for more than 24h it will become a brick. "We have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360"

Is it powerful?:
- It has secret sauce; it has DDR3 memory because GDDR6 was "uncomfortable"; "have you seen Titanfall?"; crushed blacks + upscalling "You realize you will see every game in 1080p as your output right?"; "We created DirectX"; Power of the Cloud;

Sony annouce PS4, it just play games. Price: 400 dollars + nothing. Features: 100 dollars less than Xbox One.

if you ignore context of course we have a bunch of hypocrites here, haven't we?
But if you think just a little and remember all the other things surrounding the Xbox One launch it might make sense that people talked about the 40% difference in TF.
You can't make a product that is more expensive with less power and expect that people won't complain about it.

Last edited:

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Lets time travel back to 2013

MS announce Xbox One, the multitasking console to rule the living room. Price? 500 dollars bundled with a Kinect (that nobody wants). Features: No used games, always online, if offline for more than 24h it will become a brick.
Is it powerful?:
- It has secret sauce; it has DDR3 memory because GDDR6 was "uncomfortable"; "have you seen Titanfall?"; crushed blacks + upscalling "You realize you will see every game in 1080p as your output right?"; "We created DirectX".

Sony annouce PS4, it just play games. Price: 400 dollars + nothing. Features: 100 dollars less than Xbox One.

if you ignore context of course we have a bunch of hypocrites here, haven't we?
But if you think just a little and remember all the other things surrounding the Xbox One launch it might make sense that people talked about the 40% difference in TF.
You can't make a product that is more expensive with less power and expect that people won't complain about it.

Besides all that stuff, it's fairly silly to be grinding an axe for seven years because of a console. People get over being stabbed quicker than that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's the insane thing here people are trying to sweep under the rug. All you have to do is simply view the thread and look at 99% of the posts from before the reveal. Shit, even look at less than 24hours before the reveal. The thread was solely about PS5 speculation since XSX was moved to another thread, and it was ALL about teraflops. Insider this, teraflops that. 13TF hypetrain this, lol GitHub that. "But Matt said this," etc.

Multiple people even correctly guessed the SSD speeds (5+~) in conjunction with what we already knew, but were drowned out by teraflop talk. It wasn't really a talking point then.

In my opinion, if you're going to console warrior over speculation and shout from the rooftops about how teraflops don't matter and never did (which is a blatant lie by looking at how precious gens played out), you should probably scrub your post history so the transparancy isn't as noticable (not you, I mean in general!).

All this bickering for nothing. We all had shitty HDDs now and have for almost two decades. Now we're jumping past regular SSDs, then past crazy expensive NVMe SSDs, straight to custom silicon NVMe SSDs. Microsoft's SSD is incredibly faster than the best Samsung SSD you can by, by a large margin. Sony's is EVEN BETTER THAN THAT. So why is all this childish bullshit coming from grown ass men even a thing right now?

I think the big thing about Sony's SSD is that people remember Microsoft's THE CLOUD WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING, IGNORE HOW OUR CONSOLE IS WEAKER talk at the beginning of this gen. Taking a piece of hardware that's worse than the competition at virtually everything, then saying that this one feature that virtually no games will ever make full use of is the secret sauce that gives it the edge, rings utterly hollow to a lot of people.

Sony is putting all their eggs in a very, very tiny basket and it's confusing because they don't really have anything else going for them at this point, and their trend toward infinite radio silence means that people who aren't already sold on the idea of a PS5 before it's even shown off for real don't have much to think about except the fact that it loses all the tech comparisons.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
They did give you a floor. They said it will be there the majority of the time. Now you can choose to take that as 51% of the time, or 99% of the time. It would be nice for complete clarity, sure.
It sounds like you are misunderstanding me, by floor I mean the lowest it can be throttled. What it runs at the majority of the time has nothing to do with this. I agree more clarity around the whole situation would be nice.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think the big thing about Sony's SSD is that people remember Microsoft's THE CLOUD WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING, IGNORE HOW OUR CONSOLE IS WEAKER talk at the beginning of this gen. Taking a piece of hardware that's worse than the competition at virtually everything, then saying that this one feature that virtually no games will ever make full use of is the secret sauce that gives it the edge, rings utterly hollow to a lot of people.

Sony is putting all their eggs in a very, very tiny basket and it's confusing because they don't really have anything else going for them at this point, and their trend toward infinite radio silence means that people who aren't already sold on the idea of a PS5 before it's even shown off for real don't have much to think about except the fact that it loses all the tech comparisons.

It's going to come down to games, the consoles are pretty close, let's see what they have lined up for launch.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I agree this place is in desperate need of some next-gen discussion guidelines. Not conflating the current situation with 2013 has to be one of them. Not only is it a console warrior talking point that brings nothing of value to the discussions, it's just a shitty comparison if you've been paying any attention.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Teraflops were always a theoretical peak performance figure, which is why anyone who actually understands the underlying technology has been saying over and over for ages that it's a terrible measure of performance. You don't actually get 12.1 trillion floating point operations per second out of a Series X GPU, because not every instruction is a FMAD, and not all the operands are available without stalling computation pipelines waiting for cache or RAM fetches.

So yes, the theoretical peak is constant. The actual throughput in practice is not, so the "constantness" of the theoretical peak is not really all that relevant.

I mean yes but that doesn't make them a terrible measure of performance. It doesn't say what you will get out of it but what the potential of the tech is. There is a reason everyone uses them (MS/Sony/AMD/NVidia) and it isn't because it is a useless metric... If you have a better way to communicate performance besides benchmarks please do share.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I agree this place is in desperate need of some next-gen discussion guidelines. Not conflating the current situation with 2013 has to be one of them. Not only is it a console warrior talking point that brings nothing of value to the discussions, it's just a shitty comparison if you've been paying any attention.
Legit surprised we haven't seen a guideline or even a staff post yet, tbh.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The amount of people in denial is incredible. After 5 gaming consoles from Nintendo, I have learned to accept reality. Let it go people.

Go play some games.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Looking at this thread imagine how it's gonna be when the first DF comparison comes out lol

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
The amount of people in denial is incredible. After 5 gaming consoles from Nintendo, I have learned to accept reality. Let it go people.

Go play some games.

denial of what? The denial is cerny said the gpu will run most of the time at 10.28 And when it does drop it will be modest. The denial is coming from Xbox fan boys and it's ridiculous. I can't wait for games to drop so we can see the comparisons

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at this thread imagine how it's gonna be when the first DF comparison comes out lol
It's gonna be funny because there are a ton of people arguing over this issue

either the PS5 is throttled and at a disadvantage in performance

Or

the argument over teraflops/throttling was useless and any difference is negligible

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017

I suspect that the first multi platform games on these systems wont stress them at all and they will likely be exactly the same. MS got Gears 5 running at 110fps (I believe I read that?) on Xbox Series X in a couple weeks, even after adding graphical features. That's a lot of extra power over the current gen systems.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
we all know its arguing about TF's before the release and then how many p's the games have on each console.

just chill and play some video games.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I mean yes but that doesn't make them a terrible measure of performance.

There are plenty of reasons why they're a poor predictor of performance, that's just one of them.

It doesn't say what you will get out of it but what the potential of the tech is.

Without knowing how much of that potential is realized in practice, does it really matter? It's also only the potential of one aspect of the rendering pipeline. Fill rate, memory bandwidth and latency, texture cache hit ratio, average pixel coverage per polygon, and plenty of other factors play equally important roles. It's just hard for most people to understand all the intricacies (heck, it's hard for the silicon architects who make a living doing this to predict how everything is going to interact without extensive simulations.)

There is a reason everyone uses them (MS/Sony/AMD/NVidia) and it isn't because it is a useless metric...

Everyone also uses star ratings to rate movies, megapixels to describe cameras, gigahertz to describe CPUs and they're all equally lazy and of similarly limited value without knowing a whole lot more. I assure you, it's not what the engineers who design GPUs for a living care most about, nor is it what developers pay attention to. It's a marketing measure focused on a customer base that isn't going to take the time to learn all the factors involved.

If you have a better way to communicate performance besides benchmarks please do share.

If you're going to eliminate the only really effective way to measure performance, benchmarks, then you're left with slim pickings. That's literally the gold standard for how technical teams measure the effectiveness of their designs, using real-world test cases that are believed to be representative of typical scenarios. It's like saying "if you know of a better way to reproduce besides sex please do share." Every other approach is just more complicated, and require understanding the interaction between lots of parts of the system - many of which we don't know enough about in this case.

What we do know is that the Series X likely has a raw throughput advantage, but that it's probably smaller than the 16-25% reflected in GPU peak performance and memory bandwidth for a subset of the memory, because clock speeds play a role in other parts of the rendering pipeline and the PS5 has a clear advantage there. It could be the case that variable clock speeds make a difference, too, but it's impossible to quantify yet and the one reference we have suggests that it's likely only a couple of percent in extreme cases.

Me? I'm waiting for those all important benchmarks to satisfy my curiosity, but I also know that a 10 or 20 percent performance gap isn't a big enough difference to make a decision for me. It still comes down to games, as it almost always does, and that's what I'm most eager to see.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine the early cross-gen period will see games using legacy GCN instruction sets. Possibly instructions can be split between RDNA and legacy?

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Exactly. Not only was the gap between those two consoles far larger, the weaker console was $100 more. If the PS5 is somehow $100 more than the XSX, then maybe we can start to make that comparison.

The XSX has an edge in some areas, and the PS5 has an edge in some other areas. They're honestly the most evenly matched consoles we've ever seen.

wccftech straight up makes up rumors for clicks, so I'm not sure why they're not a banned source, even if they're occasionally accurate when they latch onto things others are already reporting on. A stopped clock, and all that.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Accusations of astroturfing
Alot of new accounts in this thread and they all seem to be pro xbox. weird.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Not only was the gap between those two consoles far larger, the weaker console was $100 more. If the PS5 is somehow $100 more than the XSX, then maybe we can start to make that comparison.

The XSX has an edge in some areas, and the PS5 has an edge in some other areas. They're honestly the most evenly matched consoles we've ever seen.

Evenly matched and significantly different both at the same time. It's going to be a really interesting generation and it's not comparable to this one, at all.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017

wccftech straight up makes up rumors for clicks, so I'm not sure why they're not a banned source, even if they're occasionally accurate when they latch onto things others are already reporting on. A stopped clock, and all that.
Now you just put yourself in a place where you are not definitely sure it's the truth.

hypothetical: it throttles
Then you have instances where GPU or CPU are an issue with development.

I think the better statement would be that these numbers are meaningless until developers comment on development and gamers get to see the games. When there is zero difference between games all of this arguing was for nothing. People who say 9.2 and throttle will have to eat their words.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
There are plenty of reasons why they're a poor predictor of performance, that's just one of them.

Without knowing how much of that potential is realized in practice, does it really matter? It's also only the potential of one aspect of the rendering pipeline. Fill rate, memory bandwidth and latency, texture cache hit ratio, average pixel coverage per polygon, and plenty of other factors play equally important roles. It's just hard for most people to understand all the intricacies (heck, it's hard for the silicon architects who make a living doing this to predict how everything is going to interact without extensive simulations.)

Everyone also uses star ratings to rate movies, megapixels to describe cameras, gigahertz to describe CPUs and they're all equally lazy and of similarly limited value without knowing a whole lot more. I assure you, it's not what the engineers who design GPUs for a living care most about, nor is it what developers pay attention to. It's a marketing measure focused on a customer base that isn't going to take the time to learn all the factors involved.

If you're going to eliminate the only really effective way to measure performance, benchmarks, then you're left with slim pickings. That's literally the gold standard for how technical teams measure the effectiveness of their designs, using real-world test cases that are believed to be representative of typical scenarios. It's like saying "if you know of a better way to reproduce besides sex please do share." Every other approach is just more complicated, and require understanding the interaction between lots of parts of the system - many of which we don't know enough about in this case.

What we do know is that the Series X likely has a raw throughput advantage, but that it's probably smaller than the 16-25% reflected in GPU peak performance and memory bandwidth for a subset of the memory, because clock speeds play a role in other parts of the rendering pipeline and the PS5 has a clear advantage there. It could be the case that variable clock speeds make a difference, too, but it's impossible to quantify yet and the one reference we have suggests that it's likely only a couple of percent in extreme cases.

Me? I'm waiting for those all important benchmarks to satisfy my curiosity, but I also know that a 10 or 20 percent performance gap isn't a big enough difference to make a decision for me. It still comes down to games, as it almost always does, and that's what I'm most eager to see.

Sure everyone will go with the benchmarks but MS/Sony are not providing that but also want to communicate to their audiences what they can expect with regards to power. Thus we have TFlops. I agree that it doesn't tell you an extremely detailed picture but most ppl want an easy to digest performance metric. No one wants to study white papers to understand how everything fits together lol.

Also, it is more like:
Buying console = having sex with someone
Benchmarks = watching someone else have sex with the person
TFlops = having someone rate 1-10 their experience with said person

>What we do know is that the Series X likely has a raw throughput advantage

How did you come to that conclusion? Most likely from the TFlops and simple GPU details that were shared. Thus mission accomplished. You have a general idea of what to expect performance-wise.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
If Sony can clock to 2.2GHz, Ms definitely has some headroom.
Yeah this is what I keep thinking..like there's really not much to stop MS from upping the clocks a bit before launch considering how 'wide and slow' the architecture appears to be. Not saying they will..but it's certainly plausible if they feel like it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
My prediction is nearly identical games with ps5 having more aggressive resolution scaling. Exceptions here and there but that is the norm I'm expecting.

Will still get 2000 plus post threads.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Yeah this is what I keep thinking..like there's really not much to stop MS from upping the clocks a bit before launch considering how 'wide and slow' the architecture appears to be. Not saying they will..but it's certainly plausible if they feel like it.
There is plenty stopping them. They haven't designed the system around higher clocks. Their power and thermal control is all done around their set clock speeds. They can't just raise those speeds on a whim. The entire reason Sony is using this unusual variable frequency method and expensive cooling is to allow such speeds to work safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.