• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I love these kind of threads because people in first page probably never plays topic related game or even reads OP but just says shit like " well this makes me not buy it"

like you were going to buy at first place
I don't know about others but I was going to get this day 1. You can watch my post history or whatever.
So not everything is fake outrage. Buy the game and enjoy it, but don't pretend this kind of news don't dissuade people who were genuinely interested.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is in the eye of the beholder though. I've seen quite a few people on here calling Injustice 2's multiverse bullshit for not giving them the gear drop they wanted. It's like they just play the mode for the reward and not for the actual gameplay.
There can (and should) be a healthy balance.

I love Injustice 2. There's a reason I'm STILL playing Injustice 2, and have been playing it since launch.

But even playing it habitually, having sunk hundreds upon hundreds of hours into it, cleared thousands of multiverses, played tens of thousands of matches...

... I still don't have the gear sets I wanted that were shown off in preview footage for the characters I main. I've barely made a dent in the Legendary Multiverses, since all the playing I did prior to their implementation didn't count. I STILL don't have the "Cat Call" ability for Catwoman, and that has an Achievement/Trophy tied to it (one of the last ones I need).

Playing it is fun, yes. But getting what you want? Well, the RNG gods frowned on me since Day 1, and it's frustrating to try and grind it out - for dozens of hours - with nothing substantial to show for your efforts.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Wow what a hype killer. I was pumped after that trailer and almost pre-ordered lol. I'll just wait for a steep discount and watch some streams of it.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is in the eye of the beholder though. I've seen quite a few people on here calling Injustice 2's multiverse bullshit for not giving them the gear drop they wanted. It's like they just play the mode for the reward and not for the actual gameplay.

Sure, but the impressions in the OP are for people that liked the Injustice 2 mode. So the people that hated it are going to hate it EVEN MORE.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
My take coming from Injustice 2 is that Netherrealm has the best and worst single player modes in fighting games, so it's easy to believe WB is responsible for MK11's bullshit.

I loved the grinding in IJ2 and I'm glad it's back in MK11.
Am I..
Am I a bad person ?
I loved it too, for about an hour. Then I realized the reason why bronze boxes are so abundant and the best towers require gold to unlock, some more than I've gotten in hours of playing.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with a grind if it's fun. Reading more impressions and this doesn't seem fun. Hopefully NRS adjusts it soon or Towers of Time will do the opposite of their intention.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Plenty of us who played it for both the gameplay and rewards found it to be BS.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah went from Day 1 to wait for reviews/impressions and MK is one of my favorite franchises ever.

The fact that almost everything (including offline stuff) seems to be tied to a server is the killing blow for me.

Some mobile devs have more scruples than WB.

Wait, offline tied to a server? Does it mean this is similar to always online game?

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't personally bother me. Now that gear is back to cosmetics only and they got rid of loot boxes my focus was always story mode and online. And based on previous WB/NRS games with lootboxes gone you knew it'd show up somewhere else.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Wait, offline tied to a server? Does it mean this is similar to always online game?
Yes, most of the game is always online.
You can't play Towers of Time (endlessly replayable mode with all sorts of missions) and the krypt (where you unlock stuff) offline. You can't unlock new costumes or equipment offline either. You can't wven save your own customized fighters while offline. It really sucks and I really really hope they will patch it out so you can do everything offline.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
My take coming from Injustice 2 is that Netherrealm has the best and worst single player modes in fighting games, so it's easy to believe WB is responsible for MK11's bullshit.

You have Boon saying in an interview a dream game of his is a persistant online one where you're afraid to stop playing. NRS has job postings for monetization analysts. Dev studios want to bring in the microtransaction money as much as publishers. I have no doubt NRS designs the systems for their games.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Same shit as DOA6 tried to pull and they ended up with a game you can unlock everything quite quick in. I hate this BS.

At least with MK I don't think of the series as a costume-filled fighter (after all, all the earlier games had NONE), but some of those costumes have looked really cool...

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, most of the game is always online.
You can't play Towers of Time (endlessly replayable mode with all sorts of missions) and the krypt (where you unlock stuff) offline. You can't unlock new costumes or equipment offline either. You can't wven save your own customized fighters while offline. It really sucks and I really really hope they will patch it out so you can do everything offline.

You need to be online to save your character customization? That's just fucking stupid.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I hope the Krypt isn't ruined. Always loved going through and unlocking stuff.

the Krypt is riddled with many boxes which contain icons for your variations and concept art.

Superfun to waste your hard earned Kombat Koins on! there are many chests which cost up tp 16000 Koins which have literally crap inside. and there are also "hearts" as a currency you can get when doing fatalities, these hearts are used in the Krypt for some special chests too. It is grindy as fuck.

There is also a Forge where you can forge items through recipes and mats, so welcome to crafting shit with limited resources in a fighting game.

besides that, as i already said in times of lootbox debates, the whole Krypt comes off as one giant meta joke on the topic...it is essentially one giant lootbox cave

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling most of the people coming in here to say "fuck this AAA shit" or "not buying now" feigning some sort of shock had no intention of buying this game in the first place.

I was going to buy it, then Ronda Rousey showed up. Now I won't. Rental for me

Almost everything is tied to being connected online. Just not the story, tutorial, and versus. re: tutorial, you won't get currency if you're not online. I don't know if you get anything for doing versus matches.

So no krypt, no tower, etc. Have to be connected.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, yeah. At least according to these impressions.

Unlock gear? Tied to servers.
Save a character loudout? Tied to servers.
Doing the challenge towers? Tied to servers.
Krypt unlockables? Tied to servers.

I hope they can patch out that requirement.

the Krypt is riddled with many boxes which contain icons for your variations and concept art.

Superfun to waste your hard earned Kombat Koins on! there are many chests which cost up tp 16000 Koins which have literally crap inside. and there are also "hearts" as a currency you can get when doing fatalities, these hearts are used in the Krypt for some special chests too. It is grindy as fuck.

There is also a Forge where you can forge items through recipes and mats, so welcome to crafting shit with limited resources in a fighting game.

besides that, as i already said in times of lootbox debates, the whole Krypt comes off as one giant meta joke on the topic...it is essentially one giant lootbox cave
This is one thing I do want to address...

The Krypt, as long as I've played it since Deadly Alliance, was ALWAYS riddled with, well... junk. Fluff. Discarded concept art, music, and weird stuff.

I mean, I remember hording up my koins because for every fatality I unlocked or alternate costume, 70% of the time it was just... random concept art.
MKDA_KA_159.png

Woot.

And there was no exploration or puzzles. It was just hundreds of coffins that you sequentially went around and picked at random to hope you got something worthwhile. Sometimes you did!... sometimes you didn't.

But that's the Krypt in a nutshell.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So uh. This isn't story mode related right? I'm only interested in story and online MP. I can understand how this might turn some people off depending on what you want out of the game.

Nov 18, 2017
I don't mind grinding but it needs to respect the players time.

SFV you could pump hours into it for nothing, so at least this doesn't sound as bad as that.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Oh my god, really?
This reminds me of the Battlefront II situation.
Overly grindy and way too much time to invest to get what you want, or you can buy it with real money.

Oct 27, 2017
My decision not to get the game based on them adding Ronda Rousey continues to pay off. Not getting it on sale or used after this.

Fuck this garbage.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
So is there no guaranteed way to unlock gear? I don't mind grinding but playing for hours just to unlock icons and concept art is not for me.

Nov 7, 2017
Not a big deal to me. I dont care about playing dress up with my character like its a barbie. As long as the fighting part of the fighting game is good im good.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is lame as hell. Thankfully, I'm just gonna play training mode and online. I skipped the multiverse nonsense in Injustice 2 as well.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm wondering how much of this is to be "fixed" in a day one patch. I wouldn't put it past any publisher nowadays to make progression a pain in the ass without the day one patch just to at least try and put stops to some content leaks and the like on anyone with early copies.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'm wondering how much of this is to be "fixed" in a day one patch. I wouldn't put it past any publisher nowadays to make progression a pain in the ass without the day one patch just to at least try and put stops to some content leaks and the like on anyone with early copies.
The day 1 patch is already out.
Usually it's the other way around though, early on games don't have microtransactions to get better reviews and word of mouth and then they patch it in after a while.

Its to validate your unlocks and prevent filthy hackers.

Yes and? I still hate the fact that it's there.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't personally bother me. Now that gear is back to cosmetics only and they got rid of loot boxes my focus was always story mode and online. And based on previous WB/NRS games with lootboxes gone you knew it'd show up somewhere else.

I mean, of course if you had no interest in it, how they handle it isn't going to bother you.

The Krypt, as long as I've played it since Deadly Alliance, was ALWAYS riddled with, well... junk. Fluff. Discarded concept art, music, and weird stuff.

I mean, I remember hording up my koins because for every fatality I unlocked or alternate costume, 70% of the time it was just... random concept art.

Woot.

And there was no exploration or puzzles. It was just hundreds of coffins that you sequentially went around and picked at random to hope you got something worthwhile. Sometimes you did!... sometimes you didn't.

True, but as soon as they add in-game currency as an alternative, it muddies the waters.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
MKX already towed the line with the grindy shit and microtransactions, this is even more absurd. WB really are one of the worst publishers in the industry and not enough people are talking about it.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, yeah. At least according to these impressions.

Unlock gear? Tied to servers.
Save a character loudout? Tied to servers.
Doing the challenge towers? Tied to servers.
Krypt unlockables? Tied to servers.

I hope they can patch out that requirement.

MKDA_KA_159.png

Woot.

Cooking With Scorpion saved the Krypt from being a total waste of time in Deadly Alliance.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
"as long as half of the game works, ill be happy!"

how much does nether realms pay you
He said it's not a big deal to him because his main focus with the game is the core fighting and not the collectathon, what's the problem? I too do not intent to stay in the Krypt or doing towers, i will do story, arcade runs and online.

People have the right to be upset, but, also to be unbothered if the good overshadows the bad to that person.