• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, glad I didn't get my hopes up for the announcement.

I like Wayforward, but this looks like a game for people who were turned off by Youkai Watch because the combat was too interesting.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like fun, as the rebooted bakugan game is super fun.

My problem is that this game looks visually really bad. The fights between the bakugan look so boring and bland. The gameplay looks super slow paced. I hope the battles between the bakugan have more life to them when the game comes out.

Oct 25, 2017
How did they hype it up? They literally just made a tweet, then tacked it on to a paper mario livestream. Y'all be tripping

Because saying "a game in a franchise WayForward has not done before" creates expectations, and a good social media manager would not have phrased it that way for an anime-licensed game, knowing that a lot of people will have expectations for an entry in a video game franchise.

Tweeting about it in the way that they did will not attract fans of Bakugan, and it will not excite the people who are most likely to tune into Treehouse Live. It was a reveal for the wrong audience, like showing off Kinectimals in the way that MS did.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I guess Wayforward has bills to pay too.
It's great that they're making this kind of work as long as it doesn't negatively impact them.
Heck it could serve as a good way to train newer people to work on bigger 3D projects or IDK.
I mean I can see the value for WF to be involved in the project.
People forget this was WFs blueprint back then, up to Shantae blowing up and their mid 2010s being really good for the company.

Hell, they were slowly coming back to this and people forgot this was announced months ago...

If this gets more Shantaes, River Cities and Mummys to the mix, let em.

Jun 2, 2019
I have no words... THIS was the surprise game???

Nintendo is in bad shape this year. We need a true Direct soon and they better show something interesting. What will be their big game for Christmas? What is coming after Paper Mario?

Oct 25, 2017
People forget this was WFs blueprint back then, up to Shantae blowing up and their mid 2010s being really good for the company.

Hell, they were slowly coming back to this and people forgot this was announced months ago...

Mummy Demastered I thought was more on the side of "game to fund what they wanna make," it just happened to be really good

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's something my head that saying

"Okay, this is obviously worse looking than Pokemon Sw/Sh, but why are there some sections of those that actually looks better than Pokemon Sw/Sh?" which has been haunting me for a bit.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
WayForward's primary business until fairly recently was doing tie-in games for kid's media franchises so them doing a Bakugan game now isn't that surprising. I just wish it looked like a better game.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Because saying "a game in a franchise WayForward has not done before" creates expectations, and a good social media manager would not have phrased it that way for an anime-licensed game, knowing that a lot of people will have expectations for an entry in a video game franchise.

Tweeting about it in the way that they did will not attract fans of Bakugan, and it will not excite the people who are most likely to tune into Treehouse Live. It was a reveal for the wrong audience, like showing off Kinectimals in the way that MS did.
It's your own fault for getting yourself too hyped up over a tweet tbh.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up with the gameplay part of the stream, and boy!! that's a nothing burger combat system ....

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

This doesn't actually look that bad

Could be a decent way to waste a couple hours

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no words... THIS was the surprise game???

Nintendo is in bad shape this year. We need a true Direct soon and they better show something interesting. What will be their big game for Christmas? What is coming after Paper Mario?
Maybe wait? Are the games really that important in a pandemic right now?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realise Bakugan was still around tbh
I'm pretty sure it did actually die sometime in the early 2010s, but apparently has been rebooted somewhat recently.
I can't be sure because I'm too old but I remember that there was a time when everything was Bakugan. It was not as big as Digimon or Yo-Kai Watch but much more than Monster Rancher.

Something like Pokemon >>>>> Digimon = Yo-Kai Watch > Bakugan >> Monster Rancher.
I'm not sure I'd place it that close. IIRC the original run burned out pretty quickly.
The thread linked in the OP says this game is developed by someone who has a character in Smash. What WayForward character is in smash? I guess maybe they just mean spirits. Which then could be basically anybody in retrospect lol
It's definitely just Shantae spirits.

Oct 25, 2017
It's your own fault for getting yourself too hyped up over a tweet tbh.

As I've already said, I'm neither disappointed nor am I upset, I am just confused by why they announced it in the way that they did.

That said, a social media manager should have been able to anticipate this outcome. It doesn't matter if it's someone's fault for getting too hyped, any social media manager worth their salt would have recognized that this outcome was inevitable with how it was done.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, hype culture is an absolute problem. A huge problem, I totally agree there. But there is also such a thing as weird messaging, and as someone with no expectations going in -- looking at this with no frustration or disappointment and genuinely happy for those who are into it -- this is still a very strange messaging choice in the context of how little information Nintendo is (understandably) choosing to dole out in the current circumstances.
Ehh it was like 20 words tacked on to another announcement. There's no weird messaging here. (But not trying to start an argument. I think we're on the same page here.)

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Who was this reveal for? If you're going to push a kid's game, fine. But why do it on a live stream after months of zero announcements featuring the most boring speaker imaginable?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

I know that WF is no stranger to making licensed games (heck I even have both weird Batman that's supposed to be good on Wii/DS that I'll play one day).
It's just that since the earlier 3DS days of Mighty Switch Force you can be excused in forgetting they ever did that with how many non licensed projects they managed to release to quite a success.
This and the TrollHunter games are clearly not for me and that's ok.
They're a business and they usually require influx of cash, if the licensed projects are done in a decent manner (crunch wise I mean) regardless of the resources at disposal it could be worth someone's time.

This game here doesn't look exactly high budget but I wouldn't be surprised if people working on it really want to make the best thing they can with the resources they have.
I'm kinda upset that Nintendo choose to present it that way.
It gives Federation Forces vibes of miscommunication.

Wrong message at the wrong time.
hopefully no one was hurt in the making of the game (or any other really).

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

I can't say I care for Wayforward since I just know them as "that studio that makes Shantae"

But I can't believe Nintendo hyped people up for a revival of a forgettable toyline from the mid 2000's.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
I mean this tone deaf reveal wouldn't have even been that bad if the game actually looked fun, but the game looks and plays so bad that even the devs couldn't pretend to sound excited for it.

Maybe wait? Are the games really that important in a pandemic right now?

I mean games are one of the best way to distract yourself from the pandemic so kind of?

Ahuitzotl

Jun 11, 2020
Holy fuck just watched the video, it looks worse and more unfun than I expected compared every other Bakugan game I've played.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure there's an audience for this and I'm sure it could turn out to be a good game.

But it really was a weird way to announce it.. feel sorry for Wayforwarf tbh, they're probably gonna get som flack from fans for whatever reason :S
It could probably have worked well if there was a lineup announced already, but since there isnt.. should probably stay out of social media for a while.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Getting those Pac-Man Vs. flashbacks from E3 2003
nintendos-history-at-e3-2003-20110511105550428.jpg

Pac Man Vs was amazing

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The reveal being a licensed game and it not being 2D like the other good Wayfoward games is a hilarious one two punch.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I think the game could have looked more decent with more polish. It looks like it needs much more time to cook. At least Wayforward is trying to expand outside of just 2d sidescrollers.

I enjoyed the cartoon back in the day. But the toys itself never really appealed to me

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
WayForward's primary business until fairly recently was doing tie-in games for kid's media franchises so them doing a Bakugan game now isn't that surprising. I just wish it looked like a better game.

I buy cartoon tie in games when they're good. But... Bakugan is one of the worst faux anime shows I've ever seen, I wish they used something much better, like Ben 10... CN has hundreds of other great franchises.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Infos: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bakugan-champions-of-vestroia-switch/

Nintendo.com said:
About

Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia is an all-new action role-playing game with an original story that expands on the hit TV series and brings the Bakugan universe to the Nintendo Switch for the very first time. The adventure takes players on the ultimate Bakugan journey as they befriend powerful creatures known as Bakugan, gear up and customize Bakugan teams for fiercely strategic battles, and master their skills to become the Champion of Vestroia. Players can also play online in head-to-head multiplayer.

Key Features

• Master Your Bakugan Fighting Skills – Become Bakugan Brawling heroes through the game's highly competitive and deep Action Battle System as players build their best Bakugan teams. Players can collect Bakugan by befriending them while exploring and completing quests. Level them up by battling in Bakugan Brawls and watch them grow more powerful as they evolve.
  • Build the Perfect Team – Assemble three of your strongest Bakugan, each with their own customizable abilities, and equip Baku-Gear to form the ultimate team synergy. Bakugan also come in various Factions, which determines their strengths and weaknesses, adding another layer of depth and strategy to the brawl.
  • Varied Environments to Explore – Fully explorable 3D world divided into different districts each with dedicated battle environments. Players can interact with other characters, go on quests, and explore with their Bakugan team through locations such as a sunny waterfront, bustling downtown or a factory riddled with nefarious enemies.
  • Take on the World – Test your skills against the world in head-to-head Online Multiplayer Brawls using the Bakugan teams you have trained on your adventure.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
haha that song tho!? Not sure what the lyrics are even but it sounded like "Bakugan ball is a ping pong" or something haha

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the Wii game, this one looks OK but it just made me want to replay the Wii one haha.
Not a fan of Bakugan IP itself but I welcome those type of games, just like the Beyblade ones.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is surprised that Wayforward is doing this. We're surprised that Nintendo was like "give it a 20 minute segment"

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Honestly, I would have bought a Bakugan game if it was good. If it was a recreation of the physical game, or like a fighting game, or a turn based RPG, I'd probably be in.

But, uhh, no real interest in running around picking up hexagons and then doing a move, repeat ad infinitum