• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I would definitely go out and spend money to see this even if its on streaming too, but if I'm not vaccinated by then or its unsafe for any other reason, I'd be pretty sad if it's not on HBO.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Curious what the crossover is of people saying they don't expect the situation with vaccinations to be good enough in late 2021 to open movie theaters with those people who said we wouldn't have a vaccine at all in 2020 to begin with?

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
They probably will do it to appease Villeneuve.
More to appease Legendary, who financed 75% of the movie.

And it's not even that Legendary is adamant that it release in theaters, but I bet WB doesn't want to actually pay them the amount they would want to release it on streaming.

This whole mess is because WB announced the move to Max without working it out with Legendary first and Legendary was threatening to sue.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yall who are disappointed in this realize that the movie will hit streaming after its theater run, right? As it's always been since streaming has been a thing.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
A massive portion of the population will have been vaccinated by the spring and we'll then learn just how effective the vaccines are on a large scale over the course of a summer consisting of another massive portion of the population getting it as well. I've been pretty pessimistic about this whole year from the beginning but we'll have a better idea of where we're at when summer comes, and I guess im more optimistic than most.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically they're nuking and not giving a fuck about anything that doesnt have franchise potential and is just a one off thing after next year

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yall who are disappointed in this realize that the movie will hit streaming after its theater run, right? As it's always been since streaming has been a thing.

You can't really blame people for being disappointed that they might have to wait 4 months to watch a movie they were hoping to watch day one. Obviously circumstances depending and all.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Dune was always going to bomb. I think WB had an inkling that any chance it had with making any money died with Covid so they're trying to cut their losses.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
WB sounds like they have no idea what they are doing one day to the next

does the leadership over there just draw random ideas out of a hat

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By Franchise Potential, I assume they mean "It will bomb in a theatrical release during a pandemic so we don't have to worry about any Franchise Potential for this" I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Dune's franchise potential will probably be low no matter what they do with it tbh. Sci-fi yarns like this has always been a tough sell to audiences.

They also should just walk everything back if they're going to do this. Being selective is only going to piss the other creatives off more.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
WB jumped the gun by announcing all their 2021 movies to be on HBOmax - just wait till how the vaccines play out.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dune has "franchise potential?"

Anyway WB's doing this because they're about to get sued because they completely rushed the plan and didn't tell anyone.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think its more likely that they are trying to appease Denis Villanueve as to not destroy that working relationship and the "preserve franchise potential" is how they are workshopping a message around that. I wouldn't read so much into that and what it might mean for the rest of their franchises/movies.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the plan for 2021 is mixed releases like WW84?

and lol at "franchise potential" as if there are huge budget flicks that can easily get greenlit without you providing the studio with a plan for where the IP can go in future. Only guys like Nolan can get that kind of treatment.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
They can do so, but I'm personally not watching it till it's on HBO Max/streaming

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. Let's look back at all those posters in the previous topics saying how smart Warner was.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the big boom in HBO Max subs they were counting on with the WW84/theatrical release thing hasn't thus far been up to expectations.

I'm sure they saw a boost but who knows what their internal expectation was. The actual numbers may have given them cold feet about this strategy.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The shareholders need to fire every AT&T executive who has been involved in this fiasco.

Jul 4, 2018
Also lol at WB having to pony up $250m for GvK to get it on their US only streaming service versus Netflix which would have got worldwide rights 😂

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't about appeasing Denis. It's about the fact that Legendary put up 75% of the production cost for the film and aren't going to stand by and let WB send the franchise out to die so they can launch a streaming platform.

You guys think it's about AT&T appeasing the guy who lost them $200m on his last film (no matter how good it was)?

Otherwise I'd say get Matrix 4 a theatrical debut. A Matrix film debuting on streaming is such a gross thought.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There are arguments for and against doing a streaming release, but I can't see what the argument in favour of announcing it as a traditional theatrical release, then announcing it for streaming, then cancelling the streaming release.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Maybe the big boom in HBO Max subs they were counting on with the WW84/theatrical release thing hasn't thus far been up to expectations.

I'm sure they saw a boost but who knows what their internal expectation was. The actual numbers may have given them cold feet about this strategy.

I mean, the movie isn't out for 3 days yet. I'm not sure why they're expecting people to already be subscribed if that's the case.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There are arguments for and against doing a streaming release, but I can't see what the argument in favour of announcing it as a traditional theatrical release, then announcing it for streaming, then cancelling the streaming release.
AT&T is incompetent is the only reason why this situation exists.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the movie isn't out for 3 days yet. I'm not sure why they're expecting people to already be subscribed if that's the case.

Why not sub a couple of days early if you're planning to anyway. It's possible they're not seeing the numbers to this point that they thought they would.

Because really they just realized a few days ago that Dune's franchise potential would be hurt with a home only release? Could be they're seeing some data that's scaring them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a mess with lack of even the most basic communication it blows my mind.

Oct 29, 2017
Make it Fall/Winter 2021 and it might be possible to open theaters safely for this release (assuming everyone has access to and accepts the vaccine).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make it Fall/Winter 2021 and it might be possible to open theaters safely for this release (assuming everyone has access to and accepts the vaccine).

It's already scheduled for October 2021, a very large portion of the public should be vaccinated by then.

My guess is the same thing happens with the Matrix 4 ... they're going to yank it from HBO Max day 1.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't about appeasing Denis. It's about the fact that Legendary put up 75% of the production cost for the film and aren't going to stand by and let WB send the franchise out to die so they can launch a streaming platform.

You guys think it's about AT&T appeasing the guy who lost them $200m on his last film (no matter how good it was)?

Otherwise I'd say get Matrix 4 a theatrical debut. A Matrix film debuting on streaming is such a gross thought.

It's amusing to me that among all the handwringing about "Disney is a monopoly" and "Disney owns too many franchises," that almost nobody seemed to jump on WB's decision as the actual most concerning move in recent months, as it was a direct attempt by their telecom parent company to cut theaters out of the loop and force us all to watch these first run movies on a medium that telecom controls access to in many places. Disney would not make this move specifically because they are not owned by a telecom. This is the actual scenario the Disney detractors have been railing about for years and it happened and they're just like "Yay Wonder Woman at home!" It's ridiculous. Legendary is right, and as much as it pains me to say it, Nolan is right. What WB did here is bad for everyone but their owners.

But, if we're being honest, Dune was never going to be a hit, even if it is good. And it probably will be good.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Stupid move. They were already releasing it in theatre for the purists to enjoy how they wanted.

This is just taking an option from people that prefer the home theatre experience. Shame.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Stupid move. They were already releasing it in theatre for the purists to enjoy how they wanted.

This is just taking an option from people that prefer the home theatre experience. Shame.
It was never about options or purists. AT&T thought they could have their cake and eat it too. Now they're seeing those WW84 world wide numbers and realized that most people will just wait to pirate it when you release a big film day and date.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'll wait until I can watch it at home.

If they think everything is going to be fully back to normal by October...lol