• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Online MP games are usually not ok with mods especially F2P ones. Sometimes you get a ban just cause the game thinks you are running cheats instead of just cosmetic mods. I honestly think Street Fighter and other Fighting games have been outliers in terms of this. I can't believe Capcom haven't gone harder after people who pretty much sell mod costumes.
Aren't those replacements that require you to own a skin, though? I'd imagine Capcom wouldn't care if you have to buy skin #345345 in order to mod in something else.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Modded F2P game that relies on skin sales to generate revenue to give me free skins

Get banned

Surprised pickachu face

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't those replacements that require you to own a skin, though? I'd imagine Capcom wouldn't care if you have to buy skin #345345 in order to mod in something else.
Nah you can swap what skin overrides what with a mod manager and yeah if Capcom cared enough they would go after the ones who monetize them. They try to loophole it by using Patreons. Capcom lightly went after some like a year ago I think and people who were selling fan merch but didn't go full Nintendo. If it was a F2P game they would likely stop it completely though.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
As usual, its in their legal right, but it still sucks and probably has little to do with the actual dev team.

It keeps the dev team employed if the monetization content is generating enough revenue to continue support on the F2P game. If people are just hacking it and putting their own content in and using that instead of paying for the skins that are generated, then that means it takes a hit to the revenue the game generates and if it's no longer financially viable, then it gets shut down.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
No surprise at all, and when I first saw the mods come out I figured this would happen. The whole thing is about showcasing their IPs, they don't want you covering that up. The game is just as much as advertisement for it's properities as it is a product. Mods circumvent the whole reason the thing is greenlit.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I also gave the Brawlhalla example, it's a F2P game

I can't remember many games banning people for modding at all (unless it's done to give infinite HP online or whatever)
Sorry but I have to agrees with the others, I'm not sure why you prefer to double down on this. The game needs to make money, unless of course you think gaming is somehow a charity. These are licensed characters in a free to play game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It keeps the dev team employed if the monetization content is generating enough revenue to continue support on the F2P game. If people are just hacking it and putting their own content in and using that instead of paying for the skins that are generated, then that means it takes a hit to the revenue the game generates and if it's no longer financially viable, then it gets shut down.

.00001% of the fanbase on PC using a few mods doing an imagined and unprovable damage to a game that's likely going to be raking in untold millions.
Its not about any meaningful amount of revenue and rarely ever is. Even suggesting that its going to kill revenue and shut the game down in any sense is a joke. Banning people using them is going to cost them more money if anything.

Most likely comes down to some suits in a video conference who have to be told in the simplest way possible what a custom skin/mod even is and deciding it sounds like a potential loss of sale and saying to kill it as hard as possible.

Last edited:

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
.00001% of the fanbase on PC using a few mods doing an imagined and unprovable damage to a game that's likely going to be raking in untold millions.
Its not about any meaningful amount of revenue and rarely ever is. Even suggesting that its going to kill revenue and shut the game down in any sense is a joke.

Should the developer and publisher take the risk of allowing it to run rampant which impacts the money being made on a F2P game though or should they rightfully protect their interests and try to curb it early before it gets out of control? It's a F2P game; this shouldn't surprise that they want to protect their revenue stream on a game that people can download for free.

Oct 26, 2017
Warner Bros took down the Rick James / Holy Diver mix someone uploaded very recently. I don'tt think that shit was gonna hurt Rick James or Dio's sales either. This is just kind of on par with WB. They're very protective of their shit.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So this is only streaming with mods? Which makes sense.

I hope it isn't just skins in general. Because no one but you can see them. Mods ARE client side after all....

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Should the developer and publisher take the risk of allowing it to run rampant which impacts the money being made on a F2P game though or should they rightfully protect their interests and try to curb it early before it gets out of control? It's a F2P game; this shouldn't surprise that they want to protect their revenue stream on a game that people can download for free.

Im not engaging with slippery slope arguments, especially when there is already precedent for it not being true.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Doing anything with big IP, especially multimedia IP, is just a bad idea, even if its kinda BS if its just cosmetics that only one player can see

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
We're being outraged at breaking TOS and doing something that no other current live service game would allow you to do from a major publisher? In their WB games TOS it literally states you aren't allowed to modify the game.

I'm all for modding your single player games and MP games that allow it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
People modding in characters and skins will of course be a big issue for a f2p game that sells characters and skins. The games awesome and deserves its success. If the devs don't want its players doing this they have every right to ban or prevent them from doing so.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Im not engaging with slippery slope arguments, especially when there is already precedent for it not being true.

You said this was likely to have little to do with the developer but you can't see how the developer's interest align with the move? They have a vested interest to protect the monetization of the game.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
F2P game that makes moneys via costumes/characters? You don't say.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Mods are locally installed and only you can see the modded content. There's no way they'll be able to detect people who are modding, especially texture swaps. Unless you're streaming or uploading your video, that is.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Its not about any meaningful amount of revenue and rarely ever is. Even suggesting that its going to kill revenue and shut the game down in any sense is a joke. Banning people using them is going to cost them more money if anything.

Most likely comes down to some suits in a video conference who have to be told in the simplest way possible what a custom skin/mod even is and deciding it sounds like a potential loss of sale and saying to kill it as hard as possible.

The obscurity argument really isn't a good one. Not just because stuff like that can get democratized pretty rapidly, but "it's only a few people ff'ing over the dev team and not paying anything" is also not a morally sound one.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The obscurity argument really isn't a good one. Not just because stuff like that can get democratized pretty rapidly, but "it's only a few people ff'ing over the dev team and not paying anything" is also not a morally sound one.

People here have always argued that mods and emulation hurt developers all the time, and that "its their legal right" and its not much different here. People always go to bat for the big companies, and in this case its fucking WB of all things. I don't for a second believe its about morality. The games director isn't even for this one.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
People here have always argued that mods and emulation hurt developers all the time, and that "its their legal right" and its not much different here. People always go to bat for the big companies, and in this case its fucking WB of all things. I don't for a second believe its about morality. The games director isn't even for this one.

For "normal" games, I can't think of any argument. Mod away. But this is F2P. WB isn't interested what you think about them, they're looking at the bottom line while managing the team that made the game. It's not "going to bat for big companies". I personally don't give a rats ass about WB but it is a fact they have targets to keep this thing and the team that made it afloat.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
For "normal" games, I can't think of any argument. Mod away. But this is F2P. WB isn't interested what you think about them, they're looking at the bottom line while managing the team that made the game. It's not "going to bat for big companies". I personally don't give a rats ass about WB but it is a fact they have targets to keep this thing and the team that made it afloat.

I understand it's free to play and they have to protect their revenue streams but the modded content can only be seen locally, unless someone uploads a video of the mod itself online so others can view it.

In this instance modding may actually persuade more people to play the game and get them into the ecosystem long term, which is a good thing for revenue.

If the mods could be seen by other players online then I could understand them wanting to ban them as it would discourage players from grinding or paying for cosmetics but that isn't the case as far as I am aware so I don't see how it impacts them financially.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand it's free to play and they have to protect their revenue streams but the modded content can only be seen locally, unless someone uploads a video of the mod itself online so others can view it.

In this instance modding may actually persuade more people to play the game and get them into the ecosystem long term, which is a good thing for revenue.
Lol nope. If you install a skin, even if you're the only one seeing it, why would you buy a skin ? That's not rocket science, i perfectly understand why they are doing this.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Lol nope. If you install a skin, even if you're the only one seeing it, why would you buy a skin ? That's not rocket science, i perfectly understand why they are doing this.

Because professionally made skins are higher quality and not retrofitted.....
Because they're fans of the game...
Because owning a skin means more than just you can see it...

The devs of this game literally have no problem with it (just like most other fighting games featuring skins). Its purely publisher meddling, and like usual its often their biggest fans they're doing it to.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The devs of this game literally have no problem with it (just like most other fighting games featuring skins). Its purely publisher meddling.
Yeah and as a F2P game, it makes sense that the publisher is not happy with that.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

The devs of this game literally have no problem with it (just like most other fighting games featuring skins). Its purely publisher meddling, and like usual its often their biggest fans they're doing it to.

When WB downsizes the team because of the revenue dip, I'm sure they'll start having a problem then, but by that point, it'll be too late.

edit: damn, beaten by the Sun :D

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
From what we've seen so far, it seems you're only at risk if you stream/make videos of modded gameplay. Which is somewhat surprising when there's tons of footage of unreleased Rick gameplay still floating around on YouTube with hundreds upon thousands of views.
So it sounds like WB is trying to limit visibility of any mods out there and wants people to buy the skins. It shouldn't affect any regular players as it would largely be undetectable, hopefully.
We'll see how it plays out.

But also I can't believe that people are thinking mods are shitty to the team when the director of the game says that he's largely okay with it. Especially when mods would only be accessible by one platform out of the multiple systems it's available on.
It's the same thing with Multiversus, if you want an extra costume slot, you're going to have to pay money to get it. Hell, there's some mods only for the paid skin slots in order to tell people to support the game. Like adding a cell shader to the TAS skin for Batman or whatever.
I might be an exception, but I mod my fighting games and still regularly buy skins for characters that I play as.
There's some great modding work out there and done by the community, but normally official skins look better and properly confine to the game's artstyle.
There's no denying that mods do draw people in who might have not been interested before.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and as a F2P game, it makes sense that the publisher is not happy with that.

That's not the point. Everyone can guess the thought process, but it still sucks and the world is no better for celebrating capitalistic legal flexing. People have been making custom skins for League of fucking Legends for how many years now, not to mention other f2p platform fighters like Brawlhalla (which is huge).

Im automatically going to assume you're batting for WB and not the devs since the reason behind it isn't revelatory, and the only reason to keep bringing that up is if you think its a good one.

They probably will have a problem when the game does not generate enough revenue due to pirated content and publisher disbands the team (or stops the financing)

Fuck these whataboutism's and slippery slope arguments in favor of one of the most notoriously capitalistic and cold blooded corporations. Now you're putting words in the dev's mouths too? nah, im out.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
You still have to pay for those additional costume slots to be able to override them, so the publishers still get their money in the end.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be an exception, but I mod my fighting games and still regularly buy skins for characters that I play as.
There's some great modding work out there and done by the community, but normally official skins look better and properly confine to the game's artstyle.
As someone that is installing a ton of mods on PC, i still buy skins too, so i perfectly understand ! But i was just saying that i understand why they're going against this.

That's not the point. Everyone can guess the thought process, but it still sucks and the world is no better for celebrating capitalistic legal flexing. People have been making custom skins for League of fucking Legends for how many years now, not to mention other f2p platform fighters like Brawlhalla (which is huge).

Im automatically going to assume you're batting for WB and not the devs since the reason behind it isn't revelatory, and the only reason to keep bringing that up is if you think its a good one.
The only thing that i'm saying is that i understand why a F2P game is not okay with letting people making skins on their own. And i don't really care about what you're assuming regarding my stance on this, to be honest. Have a nice day.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Because the characters that you buy in the game aren't just skins, they also have unique move sets and attributes that you wouldn't be able to obtain via modding.

Also, the entire free to play business model is successful based on people buying skins so other players can see them, that's the hook, people like to "show off" what they have purchased/unlocked.

We have to agree to disagree on this, I understand companies trying to protect their bottom line but I also understand how fundamentally important it is that modding exists and how it can be used to actually increase revenue streams and bring more people into the ecosystem of your game.

SickNasty

Mar 18, 2020
Also, when you sign an agreement to get to put licenced content in your game, it comes with several hundred pages of rules about how that character looks and is depicted that you have to adhere to as strictly as possible. Some of them are very odd, like lego characters only being allowed to have one item sticking into them at a time, some of them are more obvious.
Regardless of the money part, they have signed an agreement that their game will not produce media of, say, superman with a big flopping weiner, and when someone mods that in and the video spreads across twitter, you're in for a world of hurt.

erraticstatic

Jan 22, 2022
They probably will have a problem when the game does not generate enough revenue due to pirated content and publisher disbands the team (or stops the financing)
The mega-hit game that's available on most platforms will not generate enough revenue because only a small percentage of PC users who wouldn't pay for skins anyway are modding their client.

Alright.
Also, when you sign an agreement to get to put licenced content in your game, it comes with several hundred pages of rules about how that character looks and is depicted that you have to adhere to as strictly as possible. Some of them are very odd, like lego characters only being allowed to have one item sticking into them at a time, some of them are more obvious.
Regardless of the money part, they have signed an agreement that their game will not produce media of, say, superman with a big flopping weiner, and when someone mods that in and the video spreads across twitter, you're in for a world of hurt.
Yeah, that's also an interesting angle to look at it as well. WB can't control how their characters are represented if fan content runs amok, so they want to also keep a lid on it.
There's a lot of understandable reasons as to why WB is adamant about keeping this under wraps. Still sucks for players that want to say, just swap Finn's sword, if they eventually toss around bans/restrictions around mods.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
If this was a Nintendo thread you won't be saying this.

You'll be running the old "Nintendo ninjas" meme.
iZBQwQ9.png

JoanneAlley

alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2022
for people coming up with terrible "its F2P" arguments, so is Brawlhalla, one of the biggest platform fighters out there. They don't ban mods.

Many of the mods for Multiversus require you to own a skin as well.