• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Austin Walker, one of the best critics and editors in the business, posted his top 10 of 2018 aka Year of the Mech. Lots of robots :)

Here's the full list:

10. Sea of Thieves
9. Tetris Effect
8. Frozen Synapse 2
7. Ashen
6. Valkyria Chronicles 4
5. No Man's Sky Next
4. Monster Hunter: World
3. Into the Breach
2. Heaven Will Be Mine
1. Battletech

Here's Austin's reasoning for Battletech as his GOTY:

1. BattleTech

Into the Breach's mechs are extensions our natural strengths so that we may protect others. Heaven Will Be Mine's enable the impossible and then shield us from it. BattleTech's mechs? They're us at our most grimy and material, unlucky and desperate, bottom-line and bottom of the barrel. And for that reason, and many others, BattleTech became my favorite game in 2018.

And the truth is, I thought that Into the Breach had this spot locked down. Its simplicity and transparency, it's divergence from the norm, and all the rest of the reasons I said above. Then, in the weeks prior to writing this list, I found myself pulled back into BattleTech only to realize that it had all of those things I was (and am!) glad that Into the Breach avoided, and I loved the game for it. Base building, character upgrades, an economy to manage. All of this stuff that was beginning to bore me in the XCOM model of tactics game, BattleTech had in droves. Why didn't it bug me here when it was starting to be a bore in other tactics games I'd been playing this year?

Well, one answer is that what you do between all of that stuff is so different and unique. You've already heard me talk about my love of BattleTech's combat at length, and you maybe even watched Rob Zacny and I play about 15 hours of it this year, so I'm not going to walk down the bullet points. (And, hey, if you haven't, yet please go read Rob's review of the game, too.) But at a high level? This is a game that takes seriously the idea that mechs are just walking tanks. It systematizes the risks and costs of warfare—especially in the game's new career mode.

Another, even more simple answer is that I just kind of wanted this and have never had a game so perfectly live the fantasy of the belt-tightening, mech-piloting mercenary captain. All of the meta-systems in BattleTech turn it into a game that splits the difference between the tactical challenge of Into the Breach and the pilot-driven drama of Heaven Will Be Mine. It gives me characters to give a fuck about, a memorial to mourn them in when they die, and a garage where I can try to build something that's more rifle and less coffin.

I can't underscore the importance of investment in my pilots here. Frozen Synapse 2 is a more distinct and innovative game than BattleTech is. But my "vatform mercenaries" in that game? I can't name one of them. And that's fine, that's not what FS2 was going for. But it is something I like and it's something BattleTech gives me in spades.

Because death is terrifying in BattleTech, I can tell you how I lost Dekker, one of my starting characters—as can most other BattleTech players, probably. And because building a flexible team is one of the larger, meta-level challenges in the game, I can brag about my campaign game's elite A-team—Vesper, Rooster, Root, and Witness—and how they carve through enemies across all ranges. Because all of this is paired with a collection of random narrative events, I can also tell you that a pickup game of space basketball once brought an up-and-coming pilot (Partisan) out of a funk just in time for a big mission, and that his improved morale wound up saving my ass.

But I also think that the reason I like all of this stuff that I first thought "bloated" BattleTech in contrast with Into the Breach is because in 2018, it's been rewarding to play a game about staying one step ahead in a cruel, indifferent world. This is no more clear than in the game's career mode, which makes every piece of scrap that much more precious, and every wound that much more detrimental.

My career mode game of BattleTech has become my go-to game when I have nothing else on my plate, and every single session has been a blast. Each time, I shoot someone a message summarizing some dramatic encounter I've had. "I was outnumbered, eight to four," I'll start. Or "Now, the thing you need to realize is that I thought my large laser had been repaired." Or, with as much resignation as an IM can muster, "I didn't expect heavy mechs in a two star mission."

In 2018, where every month felt like a year and every minor success felt like a lucky break, I needed a game that both scratched my oldest fanboy itches and also made me keenly aware of what failing felt like. There is too much on stake in the world right now for me to really enjoy fantasies of perfection or grimy, joyless simulations. Right now, I need both a fast boat and a little blood in the water. BattleTech was happy to provide both.

Career mode doesn't give you the same lush supply of gear and money that the campaign does, I'm clawing my way forward, blowing huge stacks of cash on low tier medium mech parts just because I need something to turn the tide in my favor out here. It's miserable. I love it.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the most Austin Walker list ever

Anyone who adds Ashen has my eternal admiration(Austin already had that tho)

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
ayyy props for mentioning Ashen. Finished it yesterday and it's probably the best non-souls Soulslike I've played thus far.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I like that you put the list in a spoiler tag, but the #1 in the title of the thread.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Listening to their podcast about Battletech along with watching some of the streams where Austin and Rob play really makes me want to play this game at some point.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
That's about polar opposite in taste to my own, but I can respect it

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
This is an aggressively Austin Walker kind of list.

Glad he still likes Monster Hunter even after so many months and all of the bullshit he (justifiably) called it out for.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I love Austin. He's probably my favourite video games writer. His gushing conversation about Ashen on the Waypoint podcast was a joy to listen to. This list is fantastic too.

And, YAY, Sea of Thieves. <3

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
Surprised to see Valkyria Chronicles 4 on there, given what I've heard about the game's occasionally gross attitude to its female characters.

Since Austin does acknowledge that stuff, he must really rate the other aspects of the game to still recommend it.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Ashen is so close to being good, but it's pretty badly balanced and I pushed through it pretty much entirely out of teeth-grinding determination...and then dropped it at the ludicrous palace level.

Still, it deserves recognition in these lists. Even the mediocre souls-style games are so engaging and I want more of them MORE!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's it. I'm buying VC4 and MHW tonight.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This got me to finally get Heaven Will Be Mine. It's a very specific thing and you kinda gotta be into the idea of a mech anime visual novel, but if you are it seems really cool. It's got a good vibe.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Surprised to see Valkyria Chronicles 4 on there, given what I've heard about the game's occasionally gross attitude to its female characters.

Since Austin does acknowledge that stuff, he must really rate the other aspects of the game to still recommend it.
It's more one specific character with intended significant flaws in early parts of the game before his character develops and matures which is the issue than a game-wide problem. My impression was the writers were always aware when he was saying or doing something derogatory rather than being tone-deaf.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It is great to see a game as good as Battletech get its due critically. I think they've talked about it a few times, but the tactical battles feel like a step forward from the XCOM formula, which is something that I didn't know I wanted. Attrition is so much more powerful than failure. And the way the campaign is structured only accentuates it.

Harebrained Schemes knocked it out of the park.
Has anyone here played Heaven Will Be Mine? This is the first I'm hearing of it.
Curious about this too.

Austin and some others mentioning it in their end-of-year lists has been enough to convince me to wishlist it, at least.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I kickstarted battletech but completely forgot about it and forgot to register my code.

Gotta dog it up in my email somewhere and hope it's still good.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I love Waypoint. Their top 10 lists this year have been pretty great, I love hearing all their different points of view. Between Austin and Rob I'm this close to buying Battletech in the Steam sale.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Austin is one of my favorite writers in the industry, if not my favorite. I played close to none of these, but there's a couple I'd love to get after reading this and from what I've heard him talk about, specially Heaven will be Mine. It feels good to support indie devs that cater to specific niches too.

dabbling

Dec 3, 2018
He called that out every time I've heard him talk about the game.

I'm glad! I didn't mean to accuse him of turning a blind eye or anything.

It's more one specific character with intended significant flaws in early parts of the game before his character develops and matures which is the issue than a game-wide problem. My impression was the writers were always aware when he was saying or doing something derogatory rather than being tone-deaf.

Thanks for that perspective. Given the series's history with "fan service", I'm not sure I trust them to handle the kind of character development you've described particularly well. Maybe I will check it out at a reduced price down the line and see for myself.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Solid fucking number one. BattleTech is just that good. First time in a full decade I played till morning without realizing.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Sweet list, some nice picks in there. First time learning about Heaven Will Be Mine too. Been hoping to see some Frostpunk love on these lists, but alas no such luck.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Third year in a row No Man's Sky has made Austin's Top 10 and I love him for it. It was awesome from Day 1 but has grown into a legitimately incredible game.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I love that Austin still loves No Man's Sky. I'm going to look into Heaven Will Be Mine because I did actually like We Know the Devil.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that Frozen Synpase 2 made his list. I haven't picked up the game yet, but it seemed like it's reception was rather mixed.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Battletech was definitely the game I marathoned the hardest this year. Hoping for more expansions soon

bitSS

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Portugal
I listened to an hour of them talking so excitedly about this game I couldn't care less about. I love the crew at Waypoint and it's so interesting to listen to people with such different tastes than myself.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
last time I tried Battletech I couldn't even get over 45 fps on low-medium settings on a solid rig. I have never struggled with getting constant 60 fps on any game.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I actually liked Ashen. There was greatness in there somewhere but the reliance on a partner and the bad mutliplayer coupled with bad AI made it a no go

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Great list, but very expected. Austin is one of the few people in the industry who can sell me on a game just by including it I, a list- I'm buying Heaven Will Be Mine for sure now.

Battletech and Into the Breach are so fuckin good

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Good list though I'm kinda surprised that Monster Hunter is that high, the game that gave him feelings of colonialism and hunting for sport

rumplestilts

May 30, 2018
It's rad to see lists that look nothing at all like mine.

My tastes don't overlap all that much with Austin's, but I'm always down to hear him talk about things he's passionate about.