• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
does the game have walking in it?

Halo was just a walking simulator with gameplay, until Sprint ruined it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding gets brought up but not the Life is Strange series? *shakes head* LiS1 most definitely took inspiration from Gone Home.
I know right?? Either people forget Life is Strange, either they put it in the same basket as Telltale games which are... are they walking simulator?

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think LiS, Death Stranding or Telltale games are walking simulators
I can understand why Death Stranding isn't one (it's not even debattable) but Why wouldn't Life is Strange be considered walking simulator? Because you have an inventory or choices to do?

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
To be honest, Death Stranding is way closer to the term "walking simulator" than all these other games are. It actually is a... simulation of the act of walking, with balance and stuff.

All these other games only ask the player to walk by pressing W, which isn't much of a simulation. I really hate the "walking simulator" name, it feels like and ironic way to describe the genre as a boring thing.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I can understand why Death Stranding isn't one (it's not even debattable) but Why wouldn't Life is Strange be considered walking simulator? Because you have an inventory or choices to do?

Imo walking simulators don't have much gameplay. LiS has puzzles, talking, choices, time travelling...

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint: way off

Dennis: nailed it

A walking simulator is not a genre, it is a state of mind.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Waypoint: way off

Dennis: nailed it

A walking simulator is not a genre, it is a state of mind.
If this were true it would actually be much closer to a genre than a mechanic.

Mechanics are not genres in a literary or filmic sense, as mechanics do not codify their narrative. Gameplay is a genre of mechanics, but those genres seek to elucidate interaction, and do not typically codify tone, pacing, or theming (as well-known literary and flimic genres do).

If anything, I would actually call mechanics something closer to filmic art direction or cinematography.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Walking simulator means you walk to whatever vapid minimally-interactive exposition dump the 'auteur' wants you to stick around at from 5 to 60 minutes plus. Don't call it a game, call it 'interactive fiction.' You know, like a 'pick-a-path to-adventure' book.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Walking simulator means you walk to whatever vapid minimally-interactive exposition dump the 'auteur' wants you to stick around at from 5 to 60 minutes plus. Don't call it a game, call it 'interactive fiction.' You know, like a 'pick-a-path to-adventure' book.
Most game mechanics, such as first-person shooters, are far more engorged with vapidity than most anything produced with walking simulator mechanics. If gameplay is the sole measure of depth, most game mechanics are vapid.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Most game mechanics, such as first-person shooters, are far more engorged with vapidity than most anything produced with walking simulator mechanics. If gameplay is the sole measure of depth, most game mechanics are vapid.

No they're not. You have games like simulators, strategy on an operational and strategic level, CRPGs, and so on. Hell, I'd even say a 4 player coop like Vermintide or L4D is way better than these pathetic walking simulator because THE STORY IS DIFFERENT EVERY PLAYTHTOUGH. And that story isn't written by some person, it's written by the players. Fuck, lump even Total War series into inclusion Into this as well.

Fuck, I remember having more free choice with Pool of Radiance and Pirates!, two game's back into 1984-1986 or so that came on a few 5.1/4" flopies, than these walking simulators. It's a shame.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
The problem I have with walking sims is the lack of player agency, not every narrative is good enough to carry the entire game on its own (hello Everybody's Gone To The Rapture) and it's pretty much turns into slog that you have no desire to ever finish. I think Firewatch is a good attempt at making a game more interactive by giving a player simple objectives to complete and not just wander around beautiful background admiring the view and reading an occasional letter to grasp the story.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played Death Stranding but from what I can tell, it doesn't look at all like the other games mentioned.
It has similar narrative ties to VNs that walking sims do, but not to POC adventures so much. And mechanically it gives player much more agency than 99% AAAs out there, or indeed most walking sims as well.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a number of people who need to play more walking simulators. What Remains of Edith Finch is undoubtedly within this genre for example, but you actually spend more of the game with diverse mechanics being used as a storytelling device.

The evolution of this genre has been interesting and my ultimate conclusion playing several dozen of these is it's not about having no mechanics or fail states even (some definitely do), it's basically a genre focused on exploration/experience, atmosphere/feeling and its world/narrative. Often gameplay mechanics are simplified or used for narrative purpose first, but some use them in different or more challenging ways. Horror has explored this space more closely than others, but also other emotions have been touched upon.

I think one problem on why it's harder to narrow this genre is because it thrives in the indie space, and that space experiments and tries to push pre-proposed boundaries. As a result, there's been a lot of experiments and evolution in different directions for the genre. And it's been a PC-centric genre first, I know many on Era are console first and I notice a lot of detractors are using games from the early to mid 2010s rather than the more recent outings. Given as a genre, it is primarily aimed at people who like exploring and atmosphere in games first and their potential for stories/experiences than for those who like them more for challenge or mechanical engagement.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
These modern games still have yet to beat Myst as far as providing a sense of immersion.

At least back when I played it in 1995. :P

I did like Gone Home a lot.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
No they're not. You have games like simulators, strategy on an operational and strategic level, CRPGs, and so on. Hell, I'd even say a 4 player coop like Vermintide or L4D is way better than these pathetic walking simulator because THE STORY IS DIFFERENT EVERY PLAYTHTOUGH. And that story isn't written by some person, it's written by the players. Fuck, lump even Total War series into inclusion Into this as well.

Fuck, I remember having more free choice with Pool of Radiance and Pirates!, two game's back into 1984-1986 or so that came on a few 5.1/4" flopies, than these walking simulators. It's a shame.
So games like simulators - so walking simulators aren't simulations? Choice is itself not a terribly deep mechanic on its own. If we can agree that cinematography is a valid art form, then a walking simulator is no less deep, given it is highly guided by a creator carefully placing objects in space for purposes of inspection or introspection. A "different story every time" is nothing without meaning; to say, "well everyone shot everyone differently this time" is an extremely vapid response to a question of depth. There's no depth to such a story, and little meaning without those within it to establish a meaningful context (and I sincerely doubt most are having an introspective moment while dying in a random co-op playing Diablo III).

To say a game mechanic is deep is likely to mistake the content for the context.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So games like simulators - so walking simulators aren't simulations? Choice is itself not a terribly deep mechanic on its own. If we can agree that cinematography is a valid art form, than a walking simulator is no less deep, given it is highly guided by a creator carefully placing objects in space for purposes of inspection or introspection. A "different story every time" is nothing without meaning; to say, "well everyone shot everyone differently this time" is an extremely vapid response to a question of depth. There's no depth to such a story, and little meaning without those within it to establish a meaningful context (and I sincerely doubt most are having an introspective moment while dying in a random co-op playing Diablo III).

To say a game mechanic is deep is likely to mistake the context for the content.

You're assuming you win in player vs horde games. Losing is even more fun than winning, you can in most cases pinpoint what caused you to lose, it enjoyable and you can still improve with what you learned and forming ore in tune dynaimc. And even with that improvement, you're not guaranteed a win, but you are another story.

Walking Sims are press Up to listen to some shit before moving up through some light interaction until you trigger another 'listening to some vapid forgettable shit for another repeat,' ad nauseam. It's not a game.

Again, I'm an old asshole that grew up with games like Space Invades, PAC Man, Mario Bro's, Civ, Masters of Magic, the Microprose Sim line, and SSI. For me those were games with reprocusions to your action and a fail state based on not coddling your bad decisions. These are not.

Also, Sekiro totally deserves GoTY. Fuck easy mode.

Oct 27, 2017
If Death Stranding falls into the walking simulator category, it's not that I don't understand it, it's just fucking boring and doesn't deserve my time. Haven't played Gone Home or any of the others yet though, but enough with the "you don't understand it" bs

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I think calling games "walking simulators" is an insult to the developers of those games.
That's the main game mechanic tho, at least with barely interactive stuff like Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture there's not really much else to do. There's little to no item management and puzzles for them to be comparable to classic P&Cs and the narrative design is drastically different from VNs or Interactive Movies.

I don't think that the term is insulting on its own, it's just better suited to describe the games than simply put them under the umbrella "adventure game".

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who calls Death Stranding a walking sim hasn't played it or has given up on it way too soon. It goes well into the horror genre and action genre way too many times in the game to consider it a walking sim. Lazy asses

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Death Stranding does not belong on that list, lol.
Yea its a game where you walk a lot, but if thats the criteria then Doom should be on there as well

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
You're assuming you win in player vs horde games. Losing is even more fun than winning, you can in most cases pinpoint what caused you to lose, it enjoyable and you can still improve with what you learned and forming ore in tune dynaimc. And even with that improvement, you're not guaranteed a win, but you are another story.

Walking Sims are press Up to listen to some shit before moving up through some light interaction until you trigger another 'listening to some vapid forgettable shit for another repeat,' ad nauseam. It's not a game.

Again, I'm an old asshole that grew up with games like Space Invades, PAC Man, Mario Bro's, Civ, Masters of Magic, the Microprose Sim line, and SSI. For me those were games with reprocusions to your action and a fail state based on not coddling your bad decisions. These are not.

I'm actually not assuming you win.

I see what you're concerned with now isn't the genre itself or the mechanics but rather purity testing.

Depending on how you define a game, whether it's win or lose states, varying levels of complexity, some things will invariably fall one way or the other. But given what is or isn't a game is more a societal conflation than a (relatively) strict adherence to rules, it's not really for either of us to decide that. Society's already given its answer, and while it's fine if you're uninterested, your own distaste doesn't really matter.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Should anyone give a shit about your purity tests and how old school you are?

You are like a linguist whining that people are using a word wrong, not realizing the language has left them behind.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The problem I have with walking sims is the lack of player agency, not every narrative is good enough to carry the entire game on its own (hello Everybody's Gone To The Rapture) and it's pretty much turns into slog that you have no desire to ever finish. I think Firewatch is a good attempt at making a game more interactive by giving a player simple objectives to complete and not just wander around beautiful background admiring the view and reading an occasional letter to grasp the story.
What?? Rapture was one of my favorite walking sim in recent year. Only fault i give is the slow walk but the world, music, character and story was pretty great

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
For a so called walking simulator, you sure do spend a lot of the time NOT walking in Death Stranding.

There is even a stats screen showing how far you have traveled by different modes of transport.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Death Stranding is a "Walking Simulator" in the same way that Microsoft Flight Simulator is a, well, Flight Simulator.

The term "Walking Simulator" definitely wasn't coined to describe actual walking simulation though... instead, it's a derogatory reductive description of adventure games with minimal/no gameplay systems besides basic movement, which definitely doesn't describe Death Stranding. So yes DS is walking simulator, but no it doesn't really fit into the "Walking Simulator" genre.

In all honesty, we need a better and less derogatory name for the walking sim genre. But I would disagree with Waypoint's take here that it's a totally new genre or that it's not well understood, it's just an adventure game subgenre. Design Doc's recent video on modern adventure games touches on them.

Jun 26, 2018
That's the main game mechanic tho, at least with barely interactive stuff like Dear Esther and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture there's not really much else to do. There's little to no item management and puzzles for them to be comparable to classic P&Cs and the narrative design is drastically different from VNs or Interactive Movies.

I don't think that the term is insulting on its own, it's just better suited to describe the games than simply put them under the umbrella "adventure game".

Considering the genre name is still be using to criticize games that are more than just walking, because they look boring, I'd say it's still a derogatory genre name on it's own.

"Art gallery simulator" would be a more apt description of the gameplay of these games than "walking simulator", though it would still miss the point somewhat, since storytelling is the actual primary focus of most of these games.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding is a "Walking Simulator" in the same way that Microsoft Flight Simulator is a, well, Flight Simulator.

The term "Walking Simulator" definitely wasn't coined to describe actual walking simulation though... instead, it's a derogatory reductive description of adventure games with minimal/no gameplay systems besides basic movement, which definitely doesn't describe Death Stranding. So yes DS is walking simulator, but no it doesn't really fit into the "Walking Simulator" genre.

In all honesty, we need a better and less derogatory name for the walking sim genre. But I would disagree with Waypoint's take here that it's a totally new genre or that it's not well understood, it's just an adventure game subgenre. Design Doc's recent video on modern adventure games touches on them.

I think the problem mostly lies in that mechanics aren't genres at all and genres have a contextual meaning that doesn't fit the contextual meaning of mechanics. A "walking simulator" is a mechanic, and while mechanics are a subgenre of games, they don't define games well given a game like Limbo is much closer to Five Nights at Freddy's than a game like Super Metroid.

What we need is not a new name, but a different way of thinking about games that doesn't cordon off games by mechanics alone.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
For me, a walking simulator is a massive, massive waste of time. It's not a 'game', it's interactive media like Dragons Lair.

I consider crap like TLoU a 'walking sim.' You take one path, the storytellers break the story they want to tell with some basic action scenes so they can call it a 'game.'

But that's just me.

I'm pretty sure you are 100% alone with this opinion. Impressive.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I know right?? Either people forget Life is Strange, either they put it in the same basket as Telltale games which are... are they walking simulator?
I think that's the case. While I would classify both LiS and TWD as narrative heavy third person adventure games, LiS1 and Before the Storm have strands of DNA from the Gone Home style of walking sim. I would say that is most evident when you are exploring homes and other lived in environments.

Of course I think first person adventure game is a more apt descriptor than walking sim.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019
"Walking simulator" is by far my favourite genre this last decade. For me, it implies a game with no stress that is more about exploration, reading the environment and understanding the world. Limited or no action.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
It was my gaming revelation this decade. Dear Esther is one of the most important games in my life, and now Walking Sim is my favourite genre.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's the case. While I would classify both LiS and TWD as narrative heavy third person adventure games, LiS1 and Before the Storm have strands of DNA from the Gone Home style of walking sim. I would say that is most evident when you are exploring homes and other lived in environments.

Of course I think first person adventure game is a more apt descriptor than walking sim.
I think this line of thinking might actually be useful more generally. I think using genre terms to create sub-genres might actually be a useful blend with mechanics. So Limbo might be a "Horror platformer" while Super Metroid would be a "Sci-fi platformer".

OP
OP
Sibylus

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
"Walking sim" has become so genericized and taken out of the hands of the alt-right shitters that loved using it that I don't sweat its usage anymore. It survives in a non-derogatory context for many, and that's enough for me to find more experiences dripping in atmosphere and voice to enjoy.

Good points made on the cross-pollination into games like Life is Strange and Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs. Love the mentions of older titles such as LSD that figure also, keep 'em coming!

Looking at that list, I've played about 85 percent of those games! Virginia should be added to the list too I think. I actually really love the genre. Dear Esther had a profound impact on me, for example. I never understand people who outright dismiss walking simulators or consider the name of the genre some sort of pejorative. Videogames are so much more than just shooting people. I love games as a storytelling medium, precisely because of their interactive nature. I look at a lot of walking simulators as works of art. Lots of them are enriching, fulfilling, and allow me to reflect on my personal life and experiences. I love them.
Virginia is one I have on my To Play list, alongside the Beginner's Guide and A Short Hike. Looking forward to it!

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
"Walking sim" has become so genericized and taken out of the hands of the alt-right shitters that loved using it that I don't sweat its usage anymore. It survives in a non-derogatory context for many, and that's enough for me to find more experiences dripping in atmosphere and voice to enjoy.

Good points made on the cross-pollination into games like Life is Strange and Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs. Love the mentions of older titles such as LSD that figure also, keep 'em coming!

Virginia is one I have on my To Play list, alongside the Beginner's Guide and A Short Hike. Looking forward to it!
LSD is so damn good. My friend got addicted to it for a bit, kept telling me he was going to, "figure it out".

Good times.

OP
OP
Sibylus

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I did. Isn't Dear Esther made by the same studio? The only game of theirs I liked was a sequel to Amnesia.

Gone Home is much more involved imo, and the atmosphere is (in)appropriately creepy, which is a plus in my book.
Dear Esther, Machine for Pigs, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture were the Chinese Room (Brits).

Gone Home and Tacoma was Fullbright (Americanos), with a lot of ex-Irrational devs who worked on Bioshock 2 and the Minerva's Den story DLC.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Dear Esther, Machine for Pigs, and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture were the Chinese Room (Brits).

Gone Home and Tacoma was Fullbright (Americanos), with a lot of ex-Irrational devs who worked on Bioshock 2 and the Minerva's Den story DLC.
I know. I didn't say it was Chinese Room who developed Gone Home, just compared it to Everybody's Gone To The Rapture and why I prefer Gone Home to it.