• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
platformers i have enjoyed:

crash bandicoot
threads of fate

platformers are only really fun for me in a group setting when everyone is taking turns trying to beat a level

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm enjoying Ori overall but I 100% agree that in a post-Hollow Knight world, the combat just feels a little flat and consequence-free. When I saw that they had basically copied Hollow Knight's ability system wholesale, I was expecting to tweak my abilities for various encounters like I did in that game, but I've stuck with the same core abilities most of the way through and I've had zero difficulty (I could bump it up to hard, but I have to imagine that would just increase enemy health which wouldn't really address the issue).

That said, it's absolutely gorgeous and I'm enjoying the mobility quite a bit, especially once you get a few hours in and can zip around with triple jumps, gliding, etc.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
Rayman Legends is the shit though, my favorite platformer of all time. I have 100% that game four times now across different platforms.

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Add me in the club of people who doesn't like platformers. Maybe it's because I had bad experiences with a few bad ones, but the genre never interested me much.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I'll enjoy a platformer as an occasional event, like when a new Mario comes out. Like once ever two or three years. It's not a staple of my gaming however, unless the platforming is just an element of something much larger (hollow knight good example).

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I love metroid style games where you are getting new abilities, but simple platformers like Mario do nothing for me. If you put it in front of me I'll play it, but I will almost never go out of my way for it.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I love metroid style games where you are getting new abilities, but simple platformers like Mario do nothing for me. If you put it in front of me I'll play it, but I will almost never go out of my way for it.

Mario Odyssey has better and more complex movement than pretty much any other platformer, 2d or 3d. man what a great game, BOTWs got nothing on it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I love a good platformer, but as I loved Hollow Knight (and enjoyed the difficulty of it too) I expect that I would probably share Austin's feelings on Ori 2, while liking Ori 1 more? I'll try them sometime.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I love a good platformer, but as I loved Hollow Knight (and enjoyed the difficulty of it too) I expect that I would probably share Austin's feelings on Ori 2, while liking Ori 1 more? I'll try them sometime.
I don't know how that would happen. Ori 2 is just Ori 1 but better in literally every way.

Oct 27, 2017
all the stuff added to ori 2 seem to kinda get in the way, i dunno. so far there hasn't been anything that felt as rewarding as some of the levels in ori 1. the added mechanics aren't as fun to me, specially the dig, grapple. they feel kinda clunky to me.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean this as a troll... but does anyone actually get their mind changed by these debates? Best I can tell, people only watch them to get angry, and know who they are voting for regardless of what happens in the debate.

As a pro-wrestling fan, I *get* the idea of watching something that you know is going to piss you off (ie, WWE the last decade), but that's at least theoretically designed to be entertaining, where as politics is supposed to be something serious

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean this as a troll... but does anyone actually get their mind changed by these debates? Best I can tell, people only watch them to get angry, and know who they are voting for regardless of what happens in the debate.

As a pro-wrestling fan, I *get* the idea of watching something that you know is going to piss you off (ie, WWE the last decade), but that's at least theoretically designed to be entertaining, where as politics is supposed to be something serious
Plenty of people are undecided until they hear something that clinched it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I love Will of the Wisps but was kind of nodding along to Austin's criticism. Then I got a little further into the game and is kicking my butt. Hopefully he sticks with it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I just started playing Ori and kinda wish it just didn't have combat. The Hollow Knightification only does the core Ori thing (platforming with a story) a disservice.

Feels weird to have cute forest animals also be psychotic killers.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Played A Short Hike. It's free on Epic right now if you haven't played it. What a lovely little game. The art style is something I would normally kind of roll my eyes at but it totally works. It actually controlled really well with just the keyboard too. The ending was surprisingly touching.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

I don't know specifically about US elections but at least around here TV (including debates) is the primary way many inform themselves about politics. Especially older people.

Many also care more about the person than ideology.

So yeah, debates can have a big influence.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'd hope that now more than ever, everyone would understand this priority.

Feels like the world's basically shutting down for a few weeks, at least.

Zocano

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely enjoy and have a good time with pure platformers (I still go back and replay the original Crash games every now and then) but I dunno if I would say I adore or truly love them. Not anymore at least. I've played and fallen deeply in love with different styles of games and something about the simplicity of (not meant in a derogatory way) basic platformers hasn't enraptured me since.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
honestly austin saying hes watching log horizon makes me really happy. i love that show

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I never finished season 2 but I was very happy to see him tweet about watching it. It's a fun show that felt like the author had actually played MMOs, and cared about them as social spaces and not just as a place to be isekai'd to.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I almost went to check earlier but didn't get around to it; good to know review threads remain just as garbage as always.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad to see the apolitical review crowd getting some pushback in there. Hope endures.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So Tricky was crying while playing HL Alyx, would that make it the first VR game to be a tearjerker and, like he says, isn't that a bad idea? You'll steam up your goggles that way.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the AC review, I thought it was excellent. I don't even want to look at whatever the thread is that's unhappy with it. What Gita described seemed apt. If you don't want to look at it that way, that's fine right? But that perspective is not illegitimate.

So Tricky was crying while playing HL Alyx, would that make it the first VR game to be a tearjerker and, like he says, isn't that a bad idea? You'll steam up your goggles that way.

Never really thought of it. I don't know if you were kidding, but this is definitely a funny problem with the hardware.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
does it even have a number to drag down their precious metacritic

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
does it even have a number to drag down their precious metacritic

Nope, and even if it was Gita would have probably scored it high; she's enjoying it. That dumpster fire of a thread is mostly "Can you believe Waypoint criticized colonialism in Animal Crossing? Animal Crossing??" With a dose of sexism thrown in. "If she thinks this is bad wait till she sees Civ."

Mods only got involved when somebody told one of those types to fuck off. As always, I regret any time spent looking at a review thread.