• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I started the podcast from where I left off over the weekend and it's just Austin and cado talking about Gundam and I got very confused

hat_hair

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I don't really want live reactions, I want them to actually watch the episodes and pay attention so they can have a better discussion later.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in 23/24 because I'm my experience that's where people decide if they hate or love the series.

I'm the former. I've grown to respect what they were going for but hate the way they went about it.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I've been enjoying the Waypoint Eva Pod, I feel like they are constantly missing the point of what the show is trying to actually say. I'm listening to Dan and Bianca's podcast and it seems like they are picking up on the messages a lot better. I feel like the Waypoint crew tends to read into things a little too much.

Sep 12, 2018
As much as I've been enjoying the Waypoint Eva Pod, I feel like they are constantly missing the point of what the show is trying to actually say. I'm listening to Dan and Bianca's podcast and it seems like they are picking up on the messages a lot better. I feel like the Waypoint crew tends to read into things a little too much.
I wouldn't have expected Dan and Bianca to be better with pronunciations too.

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What have Dan and Bianca been saying in contrast to Waypoint?

Sep 12, 2018
Talking more about the characters' isolation, anxiety and depression, Dan even pointed out how trauma seems to be a theme and quite rightly compared the interior of the Evas to a womb.

I've honestly been impressed by their coverage of it. Look forward to their realizations around who Rei actually is.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

really? it feels to me that dan and bianca are about half and half.

i mean they're definitely a breath of fresh air after the waycasts, but that's just because of how light and breezy they are.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, i think both podcasts are pretty good.

Eva is a show where not everyone is going to get the same thing out of it. It also does have the depth to go deeper if you want to.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Talking more about the characters' isolation, anxiety and depression, Dan even pointed out how trauma seems to be a theme and quite rightly compared the interior of the Evas to a womb.

I've honestly been impressed by their coverage of it. Look forward to their realizations around who Rei actually is.

I mean the waypoint podcast have been saying that too so I don't know what Apeach is smoking.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Like really, the biggest complainers about waypoint's Eva podcasts are all about how they shouldn't criticise the show sexualising Asuka and Rei because culture and also how they're missing the point of their sexualisation.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i just watched the first two episodes in japanese, and one thing I wasn't prepared for was how fast the show moves still. Like, there's some really important stuff that happens in a scene that is over in like 25-30 seconds. I guess it just emphasises the sense of stillness that occurs from time to time.

Also the way Misato acts when she's putting up her more comedic front I think works better with the more Japanese cultural conception of that character archetype. But I'll have to check the English to see.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

Waypoint talked about that too though?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
uUp77Sn.gif

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Because there are so many "versons" of Evangelion, I keep having weird gaps in my memory.
For example, I vividly remember a scene when they are talking about the 4th Pilot, where there was a montage of everyone talking about it, and then Toji taking a popsical stick out of his mouth and saying "guess I won". That didn't happen in the Anime, so I thought "maybe this was a movie thing?"
Then, this weekend, I watched 1.11 and 2.22, and Toji doesn't even become a pilot in that!
Now, I'm debating taking my Manga volumes off the shelf and checking to see if it happened there, or if my mind is completely broken

Also, we are now at 10 hours and 40 minutes of podcasts, while the combined run time of 26 episodes plus EoE is about 16 hours. They are going to podcast longer about the show than it takes to watch, in grand Waypoint tradition

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still working my way through them, but the things that stood out to me so far:
  1. Dan picked up how Shinji's line about "another unfamiliar ceiling" was meant to convey that he spends his time moving around a lot. I don't remember Waypoint commenting on that, but maybe I missed it.
  2. They pointed out how the Eva going berserk in the first episode might imply that there's some underlying anger in Shinji.
  3. They pointed out how Rei seems to view Gendo as a god-like figure. Waypoint touched on this a little bit, but I don't think they pointed out the religious parallel.
Maybe I just prefer it because they're approaching the show with beginner's eyes. They seem to be picking on on the main themes without getting lost in the weeds with overanalyzing.

But both podcasts are going for different things, so it's fine.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As they mentioned, the free agent pricing in the video game draft shows the creators' biases:

Overpriced:
Half-Life at 30.
Tomb Raider at 25
Infamous at 15
Stardew Valley at 15
Alien at 15
Prey at 15
Tony Hawk at 10
Mirror's Edge at 10
Hotline Miami at 10

Olympics at 5 is a great deal.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
As they mentioned, the free agent pricing in the video game draft shows the creators' biases:

Overpriced:
Half-Life at 30.
Tomb Raider at 25
Infamous at 15
Stardew Valley at 15
Alien at 15
Prey at 15
Tony Hawk at 10
Mirror's Edge at 10
Hotline Miami at 10

Olympics at 5 is a great deal.

Yeah, the pricing on many was a bit strange lol.

However, given that one doesn't actually need to "play" with the drafted team it didn't matter too much. It might even be better in that case.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem shaping up to be pretty good this time around from what Austin talked about.
Need to find time to play that while making my way through FFXIV...

OP
OP
Mezentine

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
"Who is Shinji talking to here?" and just randomly breaking out a reference to an ancient greek king are two reasons I love Rob

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I was partial to the class Rob revealed he took

Also Austin sold me so hard on fire emblem, not that I wasn't already getting it

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still a bit ambivalent about it.

The school stuff does sound better than i expected. As does the training/character stuff.

My biggest concern is still how difficult it will be. I hope being good at the RPG elements doesn't mean the battles become a cakewalk.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Netflix version of End of Evangelion have the live action intro?
Are you thinking of the third Rebuild? The End of Evangelion didn't have a live action intro.

This might seem like a dumb question, but is the End of Evangelion movie redubbed like the show is? I'm used to those voices now...
It sure is. The old dub was a disaster, so I doubt Studio Khara would allow that to be re-released even if the series didn't get a full redub.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Before I got it on DVD back in the day I watched it online and that version had live action at the start.

This is it:

Unless it was some weird fan edit.

Yeah, that was never part of the movie. As far as I can tell, the short was only ever released as a bonus feature on the Japanese DVD re-release.