• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
It's felt like this was coming for a while now so it isn't really a big shock to me, but it still really sucks.

Deleted member 22476

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rob, I love ya, but a blind pigeon in Argentina could have sniffed this out last Autumn.

What surprises me is that Vice agreed to those increases despite probably knowing already they'd have to cut a decent chunk of staff. If anything that's a corporation acting humanely for a change.

Last edited:

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty confident they could run a pretty successful patreon to keep doing most of what they're doing now, at least insofar as the podcasting is concerned. They're literally just Skype podcasting from all over the country, right? The office space seemed superfluous once the site ditched streaming.

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty confident they could run a pretty successful patreon to keep doing most of what they're doing now, at least insofar as the podcasting is concerned. They're literally just Skype podcasting from all over the country, right? The office space seemed superfluous once the site ditched streaming.

Do they have six or seven full-time staff, though? I think a Patreon that supports them all when a major corporation couldn't be viable is a bit fanciful. I could see a podcast/brand working following something like the Retronauts model but it would likely end up being a side project unless the money they could draw in is wildly above what I'm thinking it would be.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno what kind of staff they had outside of the on-air talent, but look at Kinda Funny and Easy Allies, they do pretty good with the crowd funding model. Honestly, Waypoint could probably stand to trim some fat, but I'm not a fan of some of the personalities on their shows so that could be my bias talking. I'm there for Austin primarily, so whatever he does next and whoever he takes with him I'll be there for that too.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
That digiday article apparently edited out the specific verticals now, I'm guessing? Still this is a real bummer :/

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm a P-Diddy man myself

I suppose Patrick can always go back to high school and finish puberty

It feels like the time for some gallows humour

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know vice's situation is like entirely of course but I work at a company with only three major outposts and they still got hit hard by overreaching during that initial expansion wave. 40 offices seems insane to me

Deleted member 22476

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Austin u kool bro

All the best to everyone at Waypoint and anyone who loses their jobs. Severance or not it's never a fun time.

goblin

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm relieved to hear that Waypoint'll still be kicking around. Hope everyone affected by the layoffs is able to recover quickly!

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Very happy to hear that Waypoint is going to still be around and doing what they set out to do. I really clicked with site over the past few months after following casually for a few years so I'm glad there's more to look forward to.

Speaking of, I guess that third KH lore podcast isn't even the last one based on this tweet.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I was literally coming over here to make the joke that Patrick can only expect me to chill out when I get more Kingdom Hearts lore dump, but I guess I am now required to chill the hell out. What I get for checking a message board before my podcast feed.

goblin

Oct 25, 2017
If they finish Birth by Sleep in this podcast (which I don't know is the case, haven't listened yet) wouldn't that put them about halfway through the series? Assuming they also plan on covering KH3 in Lore Reasons I could see it going for another couple episodes.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
They're going in chronological instead of release order and really only got through BBS in part 1. That and Destiny Island from KH1. That took them almost two hours, to lay the groundwork and discuss a single game.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
god i could not have anticipated how entertaining seeing someone or a group of someones conspiracy theory their way around a game's narrative could be. I love waypoint.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I am happy to hear the team survived another round of layoffs, and that the union successfully bargained for better severance during last year's negotiations. That doesn't make up for the fact of how much it sucks for people who were let go though and I hope those employees quickly land on their feet.

The podcasts have been my go-to current gaming show for the last year and I would be upset if Waypoint ended right now as the recent ones have been excellent.

Looks like giving up the room and the pivot to podcast might've helped them avoid layoffs.

In office culture, that's called Miltoning yourself*

36P6i0f.jpg

(* I have no idea if that's actually a term, but laying low until the rest of the organization forgets you exist is what Milton did in that movie)

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They're going in chronological instead of release order and really only got through BBS in part 1. That and Destiny Island from KH1. That took them almost two hours, to lay the groundwork and discuss a single game.

BBS has maybe the highest concentration of lore, especially since they used it to set the basics up, so there's that to consider.

Looks like this covers the rest of 1 and CoM. So after that... I guess by their ordering, we'd have Days, 2, Re:Coded? (probably just the end if anything...?), Dream Drop Distance, 0.2? (this would be extremely quick), and we're into 3?

I would expect Days + 2 to be the long third episode, then the rest before 3 could probably be a 4th. Though I can't really estimate how long DDD would take; I'd say it maybe doesn't have a lot of original story but it does add to the lore a decent amount.

Last edited:

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
BBS has maybe the highest concentration of lore, especially since use it to set the basics up, so there's that to consider.

Yeah BBS is super lore-dumpy because it's trying to explain a bunch of stuff that was introduced and start setting the table for KH3. And then they decided to do Dream Drop which added another bucket of lore to the mix to further setup KH3.

Starting with BBS is probably not where I would've started a lore dive but I haven't listened to the episode yet to know how they're using it to establish the basics.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I hope at some point they realise how much extra lore is in that mobile game so they loop back around to that and the weird movie thing that was tied to it. I feel like there's at least 3 hours worth of material right there.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
BBS has maybe the highest concentration of lore, especially since use it to set the basics up, so there's that to consider.

Looks like this covers the rest of 1 and CoM. So after that... I guess by their ordering, we'd have Days, 2, Re:Coded? (probably just the end if anything...?), Dream Drop Distance, 0.2? (this would be extremely quick), and we're into 3?

I would expect Days + 2 to be the long third episode, then the rest before 3 could probably be a 4th. Though I can't really estimate how long DDD would take; I'd say it maybe doesn't have a lot of original story but it does add to the lore a decent amount.

Oh it makes perfect sense that it could take that long, but it's just hilarious to me given the context of Patrick saying that they originally thought the lore discussion wouldn't even fill an entire single episode and they'd need to pad it with listener emails.

My guess is part three doesn't even make it all the way through the end of KH2, but it gets close. Hard to know for sure since Natalie won't have watched as in depth a review for that one as she did by watching all of KH1, but the possibility of talking about all the Organization XIII and Disney worlds stuff with that one could make it take a lot longer than anticipated, especially if they spend as much time as they could on Days.

Yeah BBS is super lore-dumpy because it's trying to explain a bunch of stuff that was introduced and start setting the table for KH3. And then they decided to do Dream Drop which added another bucket of lore to the mix to further setup KH3.

Starting with BBS is probably not where I would've started a lore dive but I haven't listened to the episode yet to know how they're using it to establish the basics.

With a beautiful kind of hubris that sees them trying to utilize the power of their own friendship to work together to compose the ultimate Kingdom Hearts timeline.