• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty disappointing Patrick. When you and your own website use that image as a thumbnail and joke about it then people are going to pick up on it. It seems really shitty to dismiss people who have picked up on something you guys highlighted as funny as gamergaters or alt-righters or whatever.

If you're tired of it as a meme, I get it, but don't just imply everybody who thought it was funny is a damn nazi.
I'm not sure if you're being serious, because it's so obvious, but let me explain. It was a joke gesture for a stream. The usual GG places bring it up in ernest as a critique of him and his character. As proof of him being a prude SJW or whatever. It even happened in this thread, which is kind of remarkable.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The mere fact that someone posted the clip here to argue for why he "couldn't take waypoint seriously" is the perfect example of how well this weaponzing of memes works.

Hey, I was smart enough not to actually post the clip. But sure, I brought it up - as for a lot of folks, that is their only reference point for Waypoint, due to it going viral. Sucks I now feel like an ass for just mentioning it, even had the guy himself imply I'm some sort of Nazi propaganda machine now. Happy Tuesday everyone.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well seeing as we're all posting our Waypoint takes now.

For me: There's a lot of Waypoint content I really enjoy, some of it isn't really for me, I have criticisms over how sometimes they come off as academic know-it-alls, then again I also do that in my own regular life.

At the end of the day though, I believe they are a force for good and they also big up and have a community for members of society that are not catered to in regular games media and sometimes not everything has to be catered for me, the heterosexual white male.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
Waypoint's a unique site full of good people. I admit I don't go there often, but I hope they get to continue doing what they do.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I was smart enough not to actually post the clip. But sure, I brought it up - as for a lot of folks, that is their only reference point for Waypoint, due to it going viral. Sucks I now feel like an ass for just mentioning it, even had the guy himself imply I'm some sort of Nazi propaganda machine now. Happy Tuesday everyone.
😒

I seriously don't see how you can see that moment as anything other than the tongue in cheek joke that it was.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Or, perhaps, the Pat-Signal.

In all seriousness, the podcast that Patrick and Rob did after the initial smear campaign was one of the best examples of reflecting on past mistakes, owning up to them, and demonstrating maturity and how people change over time. It's one of the reasons I love the Waypoint crew and, to loop this back around to the topic at hand, I hope they are able to spread their message and keep their content around for years to come under their new banner.

Thanks for the reminder that I still need to listen to that, actually. My podcast listening was spotty for a while; it's only the past few months that I've been back to catching everything I can fit in, and some stuff that looked like a really good listen slipped through the cracks as a result.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago

It didn't "go viral." That video has less than 13,000 views on YouTube. Click on any profile that's spread that image on Twitter and you'll find a very specific type of person. You should more critically examine the communities you're hanging out in if those are the kinds of memes you're being exposed to and chuckling at.

Happy Tuesday tho

Last edited:

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

the crocodile tears in this post, jesus christ

"oops, sorry, I didn't have context and didn't realize I was channeling some GG shit" was all you needed to say

Happy Tuesday, though

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
One, thanks for all the kind comments, and even some of the criticisms. It's appreciated. "Waypoint" as an idea isn't going anywhere.

Thanks for jumping in here. Good to know things won't change much.

Also,
giphy.gif

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
This is pretty disappointing Patrick. When you and your own website use that image as a thumbnail and joke about it then people are going to pick up on it. It seems really shitty to dismiss people who have picked up on something you guys highlighted as funny as gamergaters or alt-righters or whatever.

If you're tired of it as a meme, I get it, but don't just imply everybody who thought it was funny is a damn nazi.
Reading comprehension. The folks at Waypoint have highlighted it as the joke that it is but it is also being propagated by other groups with a different intent: one that purposefully mischaracterizes someone as being an social justice warrior that is recoiling at the sight of a sexualized woman. This is used to devalue the "sjw" argument by presenting their actions as ridiculous.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I really do appreciate Patrick taking the time to wade in here and assure people.

Also, it's Taco Tuesday, baby! (But I'm having leftover pizza for dinner.)

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
Waypoint was/is fucking awesome, both in quality but also in providing a critical paid mainstream-ish voice to game criticism and reporting. Damn good people with a damn good masthead, and a lot of their stuff (even with the stuff that wasn't for me or I didn't agree with) is super thoughtful.

Digital media at large is a nightmarish business right now (and arguably for the past decade), and Vice has a lot of problems both internally re: positioning and externally re: ad/partner money is a goddamn desert. This probably goes double for most entertainment verticals like gaming, and that's even before you get into the awful & boring conversations about "brand equity", "market position", "competitive wedging" & anything at all to do with equity firms/publicly traded companies. Even online publications that are hitting (or crushing!) their traffic/advertiser/signup/engagement targets are being trashed or merged about every nine months because of a tough market and even tougher (imo, entirely unrealistic) investor expectations, and that's not even going into "what does sustainable numbers look like". Thank fucking god they unionized, on that note.

I'm not thrilled with Waypoint losing the title, but chances are that it's a compromise being made so that the people of Waypoint can continue doing the job they set out to do. Even if that means I have to wade through some content aggregation horsecrap that some might call "clickbait" (which isn't real, yall) because it can drive the mass market traffic needed to justify the niche stuff that Waypoint does, I will happily make that trade times ten, because Waypoint's work and purpose is that damn good.

So yeah, GL to all the people at Waypoint/Vice Games former and current. Things ain't easy, and I'm happy y'all seem to be persevering in the face of it. Gaming is better because of publications like Waypoint, so if I gotta go to a different domain name and/or breeze past some Game Boy nostalgia to read it, that's fine.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish the thread title could be changed. I think it's pretty clear that they didn't "immediately lose their editorial voice," regardless of the name change.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
If anyone was wondering, the articles that Waypoint Vice Games have put up since the change are:
Riot Games walkout
More about the sexual harassment claims at Quantic Dream
The inspiration behind upcoming indie game Sable
The story of a successful walkout in 1998 by the team behind Jagged Alliance 2
The official twitter has also reposted two articles from Motherboard, the Pokemon story from the OP and also an article about using mouse and keyboard on consoles. Beforehand, these stories would have been clearly labelled as a retweet.
So it doesn't look like the type of stuff they cover will change.
Oh and Happy Tuesday!

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I've always loved Waypoint, but it's only been in the past year that I've really LOVED Waypoint. I'll echo the caution other users have posted, but I know deep down that Patrick, Austin, Rob, Danielle, Kado, and Natalie are working to make the world better with what they do, regardless of the name they're doing it under.

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't "go viral." That video has less than 13,000 views on YouTube. Click on any profile that's spread that image on Twitter and you'll find a very specific type of person. You should more critically examine the communities you're hanging out in if those are the kinds of memes you're being exposed to and chuckling at.

Happy Tuesday tho
Getting ready for the "let me speak to your manager"-ass reply to this that's inevitably dropping

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I only know of ninjabreadman from their post of a gamergate meme, was hard to take them seriously after that.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't exactly followed Waypoint, but I appreciate much of the work they do. And while I'm convinced they'll get to continue doing such work, it kind of sucks that it's less of its own brand now. It's all Borg cube now. It's borging.
You were informed that the meme which you discredited a website based on, is purposely misrepresented and spread by bad faith assholes in an attempt to discredit said website.
Hopefully you'll come to the realization that they are the ones deserving of your indignation in this situation.
Not the messenger, who in this case also happens to be the person the assholes are targeting with their misinformation.

Happy Tuesday!
Oh it's actually Wednesday here my dudes!

OP
OP
Tygre

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Kinda wish the thread title could be changed. I think it's pretty clear that they didn't "immediately lose their editorial voice," regardless of the name change.
I agree.

I still think it's the most likely outcome long term, as unfortunate as that would be, but clearly I was overly sensationalist and jumped the gun.

Mea culpa.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I admittedly don't visit their website often, but I hope they continue going."
"Despite the recent changes, we're going to be the same great site we have always been."

These phrases are like the death knell for game websites with a cult following.

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
I know it'll never happen, but i wish Austin & Patrick would head back to GB. That would be some shit.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
Man I love Austin and Patrick from their stints at Giant Bomb, I hope nothing but the best for them and the site.

Unfortunately, I just don't see myself using the site like ever. I mostly just want podcasts and video content and I was really bummed when they stopped streaming. The XCOM and souls games vids were so good! I'm gonna try to work their podcasts back into my rotation cuz I really do like to hear the Waypoint perspective

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Can we stop with this shit?

Determining the quality of a person's character by post count? Jesus.
you don't post count point out for people who recently made a account. now if it was a wild statement post + 1 or 2 year old account + sub 100-200 post, then you'd have a point
Yeah. I read something I disagreed with and jumped to conclusions without even checking basic stuff such as when the account was created, and dismissed that person's opinion without any real basis to it (though "determining the quality of a person's character" was rather excessive, but hey). Even if it was an older account, it's not like I post frequently, so it was kind of hypocritical of me to do what I did. I was warned by the moderation team, I understood why I was given said warning, and you guys won't see me repeating that kind of behavior.

More importantly: My apologies, Chuck Bass, and to anyone else who felt annoyed by my post.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Vice shut down Waypoint and rename it under Vice brand is a good idea. Imagine CNET rename Gamespot into CNET/CBS Gaming. Wish staff the best though.
PS:That photo is so popular that I remember I saw it even circled around Chinese gaming forum like NGA and A9vg. Never realize it is from Waypoint.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Vice shut down Waypoint and rename it under Vice brand is a good idea. Imagine CNET rename Gamespot into CNET/CBS Gaming. Wish staff the best though.
PS:That photo is so popular that I remember I saw it even circled around Chinese gaming forum like NGA and A9vg. Never realize it is from Waypoint.

This is more like Giantbomb being absored into Gamespot. If CBS thought their name was better for a gaming site than Gamespot, they totally would rename it.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I agree.

I still think it's the most likely outcome long term, as unfortunate as that would be, but clearly I was overly sensationalist and jumped the gun.

Mea culpa.

If you want to, you can just report your Thread or contact a Mod directly and ask them to change it for you.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
to be fair users on those chinese game websites are quite alt right adjacent gamer bros themselves