• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metacritic (PS4) (72)
Metacritic (PC) (73)
OpenCritic (74)

Eurogamer (no score):
Wattam uses a combination of light gameplay and love-it-or-leave-it humour I associate with Keita Takahashi and like, but it's more of a Noby Noby Boy 2.0, a game so simple and nonsensical it sometimes makes you wonder what the point is. If his previous games weren't for you, this one, perhaps a humorous experiment more than anything, certainty isn't going to change your mind. While this and the technical issues prevent from unreservedly loving it, I still enjoyed Wattam, simply for delivering emotionally, if not on a technical leve

The Verge (no score):
It's been well over a decade since Katamari debuted, and since then, there have been few games that capture the same lighthearted-yet-touching vibe. Even Takahashi's subsequent work has largely failed to reach the same standard set by his iconic debut. It's a tricky thing to balance, making a game that feels free and open but doesn't frustrate players with a lack of direction. Wattam not only nails it much like Katamari did, but it also evokes a very similar set of feelings. It's the rare game full of both laughter and sadness — and probably the only one that also features talking eyeballs and toilets.

Kotaku (no score):
I've written a lot here, and I get the feeling readers unfamiliar with Wattam or the work of Keita Takahashi will have any idea what sort of game it is. It's a borderline nonsensical puzzle adventure about restoring a dead world, one object-with-a-face at a time. It's adorable, goofy fun, which I believe is something we could all use more of.

Polygon (no score):
I finished Wattam in a few hours — it's not a long game — but I could only bring myself to play in chunks due to the many oddities and small indignities it foists on the player. I kept hoping for something to anchor the whole experience to some kind of message or resonant detail that would bring the rest of my pain into focus. But after finishing the game and writing this review, I'm still waiting.

PlayStation LifeStyle (9/10):
Refreshingly light-hearted, brief, and full of good vibes, Wattam is the kind of game that everyone can easily settle down with. It's a magical experience centered on friendships and connection, finding out how each unique skill can help everybody out, despite all being different sizes, shapes, and colors. There's a simple joy that comes from playing Wattam, a feeling that many other games just can't match. Wattam is a delightful, fun, and uplifting game filled with laughter, teamwork, and all the things that make your heart feel warm and fuzzy.

GameSkinny (9/10):
The happiness you'll get from playing Wattam is reason enough to embark on this strange quest, but the emotions you'll feel along the way are the true gift that Wattam gives. It is a world that asks you only to accept it's strange logic and rewards you with pure joy, and that's a really good deal.

Destructoid (8.5/10):
I'm not sure if Takahashi will ever be able to top Katamari Damacy – for my money, it's one of the greatest video games ever made – but Wattam captures that sense of whimsy and magic in its own way. The care-free music and gosh-darn-huggable character designs make this a must-play for fans.

IGN (8/10, video):
Wattam is a weird and wild fever dream of a game, but it's the most enjoyable fever dream I've ever had. Its loop of using ridiculous, anthropomorphic characters to complete simple tasks in order to gather more ridiculous, anthropomorphic characters succeeds thanks to the silly and fun situations it puts you in, even if it's not the most complex or challenging loop to begin with. I can't help but feel like some of the most interesting ideas Wattam uses to shake things up aren't fully explored, but being a part of this friendly world, however briefly, is a true joy.

USgamer (4/5):
Some significant technical issues manage to do little to hold back the charm and wit of Wattam. It's a game that's great fun for both kids and adults, with slapstick humor and a sweet message of understanding people, despite your differences, at its center. It's made with today's toxic climate in mind, boiling the world's issues into something that doesn't feel cloying, but instead feels positive and welcoming. That, to me, is an achievement.

Slant Magazine (4/5):
Though a lot of the comedy here is born out of how totally inscrutable the game is, with objects arriving according to no apparent hierarchy whatsoever (a camera, for one, might appear before an ice cream cone does), the themes of Wattam come through clearly. The game muses about how sad it is that we need some kind of catastrophe to appreciate what's in front of us, asking the player to revel in the small pleasures of things that seem, at first, totally insignificant. Through deceptively simple mechanics, music, and art, Wattam communicates a poignant, refreshing, and all-too-necessary joy in the face of adversity.

PC Gamer (76/100):
With Wattam, Takahashi has proven that he still places fun above all else, and even after a decade, it's still a refreshing perspective. Wattam is a fun colourful playground for players to goof around in, even though it's controls have a few screws loose.

Jack of All Controllers (7.5/10):
Wattam is a delight to play. From the cute aesthetic, to the amazing soundtrack, there is much to enjoy here. The story is charming, the characters are unique, and it's just fun to play. Sadly some faults build up and can hamper the experience. From weird controls, to frame rate issues, to the game even crashing. Now all these issues can still be fixed and I hope they do, but in it's current state the game is still very enjoyable. It's a fun short experience that had me smiling the entire time and it's been a while since I've had that.

IGN Japan (7.4/10, review in Japanese):
When enjoying Keita Takahashi's unique worldview and humor, "Wattam" offers fun that no other game has. But unfortunately it doesn't last too long.

Game Informer (7.25/10):
The charming visuals and messages of compassion and cooperation make Wattam a great game to play with younger members of the family, either in co-op or pass-the-controller sessions. Even if it doesn't inspire any meaningful conversations about the importance of friendship – which it absolutely could – there's a good chance that you'll find plenty of silly fun together.

DualShockers (7/10):
Wattam is not a great video game by any definition. However, it is a great, zero-stress experience that wants to show how great friendship can be. If you're looking for a game to test your skills or provide you with a mature narrative that makes you think, Wattam ain't it. However, if you're having a bad day and just want to unwind by kabooming golden poops all over your screen, Wattam is more than happy to take you under its bowler.

Game Revolution (3/5):
Wattam is content with having you chuckle at its poo, which is symbolic of the game's successes. Witnessing its wholesome, nearly childlike view of the world through a bunch of nonsequiteurs is pleasant even if playing through them isn't always quite as enjoyable. And while Wattam seems to want to avoid descriptors and can get away with it at times, that playability is important for a video game.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
We'd love to say that Wattam is as wonderful and charming as it's clearly trying to be, but it's not. We appreciate what Takahashi is trying to do, and we've loved his previous games, but this is nowhere near as interesting or fun. According to him he made the game because he wanted to show how different kinds of people can get along and make the world a better place. Considering the currently miserable state of the planet that's a tall order and Wattam is woefully underequipped to help turn the tide.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I normally like weird quirky games, but didn't really get on with Noby Noby Boy so this one probably isn't for me.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Was reading the IGN review just a few minutes ago and was wondering if anyone was going to do the Wattam OT or Review Thread then I saw this thread, thanks for making this, OP!

Key takeaway here is that it's a 2.5-hour game, but a reviewer called it the best Takahashi game since We Love Katamari so I'm pretty excited about that! Kotaku also has a video of the game's first 15 minutes but I think I'll go in blindly.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
2.5 hours sounds damn good to me. No different than me spending $20 on a new movie honestly.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this was on Switch, but also feel a bit ambiguous about waiting years for a 2.5hr game.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Noby Noby Boy was one of my most anticipated games off of being a fan of Katamari's aesthetic, but I just didn't click with Noby at launch despite being very patient with it (my partner and I must've contributed dozens of hours of stretching over the years). A decade later, I might be different and a gameplay premise like that might jell with me better now, but I'm still curious where Wattam falls on (or outside of) the spectrum of Keita Takahashi experiences.

From the reviews, just the tad more structure to the absurd/abstract narrative might do it for me, and the co-op seems to be an improvement over Noby Noby Boy. I want to support Wattam regardless.

Lvng

Nov 1, 2017
Just preordered before the embargo went up! Not terribly surprising comments from the reviewers it seems, but I'm looking forward to it.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda got the impression over the years that this was (unfortunately for me) more noby and less katamari, I'll pick it up just to support the effort though.

May 9, 2018
Gonna try to go in as blind as possible (barring, obviously, what I already know about the game from its development) but I'm really, really excited.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
got the game preloaded

can't wait to play it when i get home

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I was really hoping this would be closer to Katamari than Noby, but it's sounding like it's more Noby. Personally I really liked Katamari's more game oriented design with levels, high scores , goals ect. If Wattam is just a silly thing to mess around with I'm not as interested.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing Wattam (been waiting for it ever since it first got announced) and not even 5 minutes into the game and it's giving me the biggest smile of the year. It's absolutely adorable and I can't wait to play more.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
2.5 hours sounds damn good to me. No different than me spending $20 on a new movie honestly.

Not to derail the thread but these type of arguments are always weird to me, simply because they ignore the fact that for people that think $20 is too much for a 2 hour game, they also most likely think $20 is too much to go watch a movie and rarely go to the cinema.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Only 5/10 from Gamecentral/Metro

In Short: As charmingly idiosyncratic as you'd expect from the creator of Katamari Damacy, but although the harmonious message is clear the game itself is a frustrating chore.

Pros: Wonderfully surreal concept and presentation, with a great jazz soundtrack. Surprisingly serious storytelling, that gets its point across well.

Cons: Very few gameplay mechanics and none of them are much fun. Disappointingly repetitive and linear structure, with too much left out of your control. A technical shambles.

Score: 5/10

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/17/wattam-review-friendship-circle-11918081/?ito=cbshare

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
This game is fantastic. It's giving me all the joy I wanted to get out of Untitled Goose Game. I say that because on technical terms, they feel similar, but this game just bursts at the seams with humor and charm that I felt was missing in Goose. A lot of it seems to come from the sound design. I can't wait dive back in tomorrow. Will probably order the soundtrack tomorrow as well. Bravo, Keita and Co.!

Last edited:

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail the thread but these type of arguments are always weird to me, simply because they ignore the fact that for people that think $20 is too much for a 2 hour game, they also most likely think $20 is too much to go watch a movie and rarely go to the cinema.

I had to re-read this a few times. My post was encouraging short games because they offer a complete experience that can can be played in one day and finished. As someone who is busy and doesn't always finish my games I appreciate this. I made the comparison to buying a new blu-ray because it's the same thing.

Rojiraan

Oct 30, 2017
Paris, France
Still not launchable on Epic Games Store for me, I wonder what is the official unlock time.

PS4 Folks without early access, can you launch it ? Thanks !

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I pre-ordered this and I'm looking forward to playing it with my kids. I'm at work and unfortunately they'll be in bed before i get home. Doh. It'll have to be in a few days

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

RR8XJJl.gif

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually helped Keita and Annapurna write the lyrics to the game's theme song, which I believe appears in the end credits of the game! (The lyricized version, anyway.)

I actually haven't heard the final mix, so I hope it turns out well.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game! I had precisely nothing else to do with it, but it's super fun!

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
I had fun with it, it's definitely a Keita game through and through! I am particularly in love with the sound design and constant laughter of the characters, especially when you bundle them together and start dancing in a circle.

But I also agree with some of the criticisms. Firstly, the performance is surprisingly bad, given the games' visuals. I am guessing the physics engine has something to do with it, but still, the constant choppiness kills the fun a bit.

Also, controlling the camera using the shoulder buttons is not that intuitive, especially since you cannot even reverse the direction. (Edit: Corrected below!). IANAGD (I am not a game designer) but I would've figured that on the PS4 you could've easily had the camera controls on the right analog stick and just used the touchpad to move the arrow around. Makes a lot more sense to me, but perhaps that would be too fiddly in the end.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I completely forgot it released yesterday and I had it preordered. so now I can't wait to get home.

also got my wattam lanyard from iam8bit today :)

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Played through the first hour or so and yes, it is an incredibly charming game, but the controls kinda mar the experience (I tend to use the right analog stick to change cameras, but I end up changing characters instead lol)

The music is phenomenal though, and I am amazed by how big the world gets and how the game introduces new characters. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm hoping to get my sister to join my for a co-op session.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched a bunch of this on Twitch, and this looks like an amazing game for parents with younger children to play together.