• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Huge huge fan of Katamari, so glad this got featured alongside TLOU 2 in a State of Play, I hope that gives this game much more hype than it already has.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Connecting people...
So this is going to be another one of those Strand-games.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really play videogames anymore (except Katamari Forever on PS3 lol, I don't have enough time nor money to invest in it anymore) so I'm really happy to see it's gonna be released on PC too.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Nice! Played it at PAX West last year; it's a very strange and unique game. Also seems to have been in development forever, so it's great that it's finally coming out.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Would have waited until it could be shadowdropped or released a lot sooner after being announced 5 years ago, but glad it's finally coming.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the rest of the soundtrack is this amazing. I'm assuming Takahashi's wife is working on at least some of the music in this, too.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for whatever Keita decides to release <3

This lovely Q&A was released as well:

What is the most important rule you've tried to abide by while creating Wattam?

Keita Takahashi:
I am not sure if I have any specific rules of game development. But I might have similar thing. Now I have two kids, and taking care of them is sometimes harder than game development. When I was working at Namco, I had been working from 10am to 10pm every day. But I can't do that now. I have to help my wife as much as possible.

Of course, I have talked about game and design with the team a lot, but I didn't have any time besides making Wattam at the office. So I had been eating lunch while working on my desk. But anyway, I am not a person who likes to talk a lot, haha.

What is the goal you're trying to achieve with the final product?

Same as usual, I just wanted to make the game I have never played before.

In a brief way, can you describe how to play Wattam?

Turn on the PS4 or PS4 Pro, grab the controller, buy/download Wattam (thanks) and hit button to start the game.

What has changed since you first shipped Katamari Damacy way back in 2004?

I don't think I have not been changing anything myself, besides that I have a family and also gaining weight, but this world has been changing a lot in bad way unfortunately. I'm sad, and thinking what the videogame can do for it…

What's one lesson you've learned about game development since Katamari Damacy that you would recommend to newer or aspiring creators?

Trust your team, but sometimes you need to fight with them for making good games. Believe yourself and your ideas, but you always have to doubt yourself and your idea to make good games.

The games you've released to date have embraced absurdity as a theme, but they always feel incredibly pure and welcoming. How do you make a game like Wattam weird without running the risk of alienating players?

It's a difficult question to answer correctly because I have never had that sense of the risk of alienating players in my game dev life, haha. Maybe I am a just selfish designer who doesn't care about players. Sorry.

What emotions do you hope players feel while playing Wattam? How do you create situations in the game to evoke those emotions?

I hope just having a fun time even if you saw some glitches. Wattam is a kinda narrative-based game more than you expected, so if I said something, it might be a spoiler.

If you could remake any game from PlayStation history as a different genre, which game and genre would you choose? How do you think that game would play?

I would say ICO. I want to swap a boy for a girl.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That release date surprised the hell out of me, can't wait to play this.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you could remake any game from PlayStation history as a different genre, which game and genre would you choose? How do you think that game would play?
I would say ICO. I want to swap a boy for a girl.​
Keita should check out Toren.
faoeSj5.jpg

ouCAXDq.jpg

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This and Space Channel 5 were the only games that got my interest during the State of Play.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'm legitimately interested in this. I like this devs passion for redefining what a game is.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
A shot of much needed genuine naivety and child like earnestness that our hyper cynical world needs. I'm glad such games can still be made.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I played this at the last two PAX Easts and it's the most a game has made me feel like such a kid again in a while. Its rules and progression aren't often pointed out to you: you kinda slowly discover the progression as you go in a delightful, surprising way.

Like in the demo I played you get an acorn friend and play around with them until you find a spot where they can plant themselves in the soil, then they become a tree. That tree creates fruit characters, and when that happens a giant table arrives at your little grassy world, with utensils and a mouth character. When the table arrives it says in big blocky letters "WELCOME BACK TABLE". You can control the mouth character then and have them eat the fruit, who become poop characters. When they all become poop a toilet arrives. If you control the toilet and flush all the poop they become golden poop, and it attracts a giant bowling alley island to your world, which then says in big letters "WELCOME BACK BOWLING" and then a bunch of bowling pins and balls get off and join your team. This goes on an on, each with a little new unexpected interaction, and you get to play around with these characters and their unique properties a whole bunch, slowly expanding your cast of characters.

It's incredible, I can't wait!