• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Mayor is sitting alone at the edge of the world, displaced and depressed

he slowly gets to his feet and begins to weep

GpMvJqp.png

the only feature of his empty world is a rock at the center

hunched over, he makes his way to the rock and sits on top of it

when suddenly, for the first time in who knows how long, he sees something new in his world

AB1Mgaq.png

a smaller rock!

how did that get here?

confused, Mayor makes his way over to the small rock

picking it up, he finds out it's not a rock at all

'Welcome back, Stone!'

Mayor was shocked, Stone was back!

once again, Mayor began to cry, but this time for a entirely new reason

kDR7XJ6.png

••••••

Wattam is a game where you meet others, play with them, and grow your imagination (along with your world). While not a particularly mechanical game in how you 'progress' in it, there's a very special tactile feel to everyone around you, or perhaps I should say everything around you. Fruits, vegetables, trees, flowers, toilets, a big ole mouth. Everything 'is', and everything wants to play in different ways. As you gain more and more friends you find new and interesting ways to play together. These explosions of joy and happiness lead to more and more friends. Before you know it, that once small and desolate world it brimming with life and fun.

Wattam is a playground with friends. As you play with your friends, you meet new friends who want to play as well.

Wattam is a park Keita Takahashi built digitally.

EoIAfD9.jpg

AahU3vj.jpg

In 2009, Takahashi was kinda tired of the video game industry. Finishing Noby Noby Boy and leaving Katamari behind, he was commissioned to work on an avant-garde play park in Nottinghamshire. While the project was eventually postponed indefinitely, an idea seemingly latched into his head; if he was going to build a park, it would have to be very different.

"Obviously it's my first attempt at park design, so I'm not sure what makes a good playground at the moment," he tells me.
"I'm just trying to work it out. What do you think makes a good playground?"

In answer to his deflected question about what I think makes a good playground, I suggest that I've always enjoyed a sense of progression, where one object leads to the next, giving the participant a sense of journey, like a playful assault course. Takahashi doesn't respond at first, mulling it over, perhaps masking a sneer.

"If there's a pattern embedded in the design of a park, the danger is always that all of the kids just end up doing the same stuff..." he murmurs.
- Keita Takahashi,
2009 Gamasutra interview

After 2010, Takahashi and his wife formed a small company and kept focusing of designing. He would join up with various project (like the MMO Glitch) that allowed him to focus more on designing new or interesting things. Which brings us back to Wattam.

201910_Iris-Chen_Accountant.gif

Wattam is a park unlike any other. It's not a park you can directly touch or feel, nor is it one crafted of rounded shaped and familiar staples of play you'd find at a park today. It's a park made of friends. The tree you climb is not just for climbing, you can also play with them. It's not hygienic to play with a toilet in real life, but in Wattam that toilet opens up brand new ways to have fun. Bringing all those friends together, on that small and desolated patch of land, you build your own park and play your own games.

Keita Takahashi has always loved 'things'. He looked out at the world and was amazed at just how much 'stuff' there was in it. With Wattam, Takahashi made all those 'things' your friends and gave you a space to play with them to your hearts content.

Sources:
Gamasutra: The Melancholy of Keita Takahashi (https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/116862/Interview_The_Melancholy_Of_Keita_Takahashi.php)
Sketchs from Keita's blog, saved to playscapes (http://www.play-scapes.com/play-des...round-keita-takahashi-nottingham-uk-proposed/)

Last edited:

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful write up to an amazing game. I don't remember a time where I was just so happy to play a game with moments just causing me to laugh out loud or scream in joy. The ending to this game also had me in tears (Welcome back Mother) and that ending song was just pure joy, honestly one of the best games I've ever played.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like it more than I did. The camera and performance issues mixed with the the really stiff mechanics and dry puzzles sapped the sense of playfulness out of it for me.

Coffee

Oct 27, 2017
Malmö
I just played through this game this weekend, it was pretty wonderful. It didn't hurt that I was high out of my mind the entire time, but even sober it would have been a jolly good time. It's the kind of game that constantly makes you ask "how did they come up with this stuff?"

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Any idea how to fix the loading issue? Lat night I got stuck in the game with nothing to do, so I restarted the game and now I'm stuck on the loading screen after the Funomena logo. (playing on PS4 Pro).

I tried to re-install the game but it doesn't help.