• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
i'm not understanding the hate for Minecraft - is this from younger people who can't appreciate how it hit the industry like a nuke, or from older people who can't understand how fundamentally popular it was (and still is) and how many collective you're people poured into that game?

Anyway, nice to see a list that isn't just topped with the usual 90's favorites (OoT, FFVII, etc).
Impact and sales don't equate to quality. Minecraft has specific gameplay elements that have captured an insanely large audience, but it isn't even in the conversation for best game of all time.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
One of these days, there will be a list of "best videogames" that includes Ogre Battle, and history will remember it as a rightful gem finding it's recognition.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Minecraft has specific gameplay elements that have captured an insanely large audience, but it isn't even in the conversation for best game of all time.

Minecraft *is* a great game - combine that with it being one of the most popular and influential games of all time, it definitely deserves a place in a conversation about the greatest games of all time.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't get why you have to pick PokƩmon red and blue when any other gen would be better and if you really wanna go with an old one pick Crystal or something

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Impact and sales don't equate to quality. Minecraft has specific gameplay elements that have captured an insanely large audience, but it isn't even in the conversation for best game of all time.
No they don't... but we're also on a forum were "Quality" is defined as a large budget action/adventure game. That will be replaced by the next big budget entry in that franchise(Or another similar franchise) within a few years.

Minecraft is a generation's Lego. If that isn't deserving of being in the conversation for a GOAT, nothing does.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Ctrl + F "Mass Effect"

Okay, they might be on to something.

Ctrl + F "Metal Gear Solid"

This list is trash.

mikel202

Jun 22, 2020
I don't like top ten lists. Every list feels way too influenced by what they played very recently or what they played back when they were a kid and they make these lists for clicks and arguments anyway, not that someone played and ordered every worthwhile game ever.
Now ranking finite amount of games in some category is still lazy, but it's something to discuss at least.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Safe list. Its watchmojo. Tetris should never leave the #1 spot. Then again, whatever, everyone has theirs.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
Minecraft is a generation's Lego. If that isn't deserving of being in the conversation for a GOAT, nothing does.
This.

I get being disdainful of how simple the game looked when it first came out (especially if you were playing, like, Gears of War or whatever in 2009), or some folks feeling embarrassed about being into it when they were kids and might be now trying to distance themselves from it because Minecraft ain't cool to like anymore, but only a blind or crazy person would dismiss the game by default from a conversation like this.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
No they don't... but we're also on a forum were "Quality" is defined as a large budget action/adventure game. That will be replaced by the next big budget entry in that franchise(Or another similar franchise) within a few years.

And the box office has been dominated by the Avengers movies for the last decade, but none of them would ever be considered to be the GOAT. Not even remotely close.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible list. Minecraft being in the top 20 is hilarious and zero Final Fantasy games? Pokemon R/B/G over the superior G/S/C?? Not a single Uncharted game?

Another list for the trash. šŸš®

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This list is like they got it from asking Siri to come up with a list that won't make people mad.

Still trash list. Some of those games are good but not GOAT.

Ogopogo

Sep 4, 2019
20 Best games of ALL TIME. If you consider Spacewar! (1961) the first video game then that's 60 years of history to cull from. And Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a game that's not even been out for 6 months, is #16. Gimme a break.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice place for Minecraft.

Honestly, I agree with Minecraft at that spot, it has been earned by how the community embraced the game through the years and the now iconicity of the title (something 90% of the games we, at Era, would have selected as frontrunners will never ever reach); even if personally I wouldn't put it on my top 10.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
this list was generated by an algorithm aggregator based on literally every other best games of all time list

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Top three are three of the most influential games of all time, but after that it gets... uhhhh...interesting.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with these lists is that games are constantly evolving and growing. I'd argue there should always be two lists: Greatest Games of All Time and Most Influential Games of All Time.

The list doesn't have bad games at all. And at the time of release, these games were considered the best of all time, however in modern sense, they don't hold up.

Like Super Mario 64 is super influential. It paved the way for 3D platformers. But even in its own series, it's not the best 3D Mario Game. Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Odyssey should be on a "Greatest Games of All Time" list over Super Mario 64. Super Mario 64 is influential, but it's definitely not the best of all time. Same goes for games like Halo: Combat Evolved, Ocarina of Time, Pokemon Red & Blue, Street Fighter II, all of these have better games in their respective franchises, but they automatically get the "Greatest of All Time" bullshit reward just because they are influential, which I don't think should be the same as greatest.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft the best game? Not a single game from the SNES or other consoles from that generation? Trash ass list.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's a pretty tolerable list. Not the best, not the worst.
Idk what AC: NH is doing on that list, though.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I'm at #3, have not seen the full list, Minecraft and Fortnite are 2 and 1 aren't they?

EDIT: okay I was close.

Cant imagine anyone agrees wholeheartedly with this list.

Noog

ā–² Legend ā–²
May 1, 2018
It feels like it was written by an algorithm... Minecraft #1? Mario 64 is certainly not the best Mario game. I don't even think New Horizons is the best Animal Crossing... Tetris deserves to be high though I'll give them that

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I think my biggest gripes were Witcher 3 and Arkham in the top 10, and God of War 2018 and Animal Crossing New Horizons in the top 20. And the Mario and Zelda choices felt too old. Symphony of the Night is a good pick, as is ME2. Bloodborne is the best From Software game. I personally am very down with Super Smash Bros Ultimate as high as it is; it's a wonderfully designed game.

I think people should stop ranking these and just put out equal lists if the best games of all time. There are too many good choices for these lists and the differences between them and how they're ranked feel minuscule at this point.

Jan 11, 2018
Horrible list. Minecraft being in the top 20 is hilarious and zero Final Fantasy games? Pokemon R/B/G over the superior G/S/C?? Not a single Uncharted game?

Another list for the trash. šŸš®

No Final Fantasy game is truly a baffling omission. Or any other JRPG for that matter. At least they didn't put Undertale at #1.