• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean not that these lists will ever satisfy everybody at once but.. that don't seem too bad compared to a lot of their lists

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Ranking order aside, none of those games are weirdly out of place so it's not too crazy of a list.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

In all seriousness though, the list seems fine.
This is about what I would expect from a top 20 that's not going to get into more niche titles.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they got it correct in that they included TLOU over Part 2 at least. Otherwise it's a meh list.

Oct 27, 2017
We still do the thing where we get angry over random lists? It's a harmless rank of widely popular games of the past and present. Mostly the present.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, those are all excellent games aren't they? It doesn't match my personal list but what's wrong with it?

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Well I agree with Smash Ultimate, and maybe Mass Effect 2. OoT and SMW would be contenders but I'd put them much lower. Can't say I agree with any of the others though

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the rice cracker equivalent to a best games list. It's so safe and boring.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Normally I tend to think that nitpicking a "best games" list is a tired exercise ... but it's worth noting that this list is exceptionally bad. One of the worst I've ever seen.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, that's an especially horrible list

No Crono Trigger, FF6, FF7, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Goldeneye, Tony Hawk 2......

Aug 10, 2019

20. Castlevania SotN
19. DOOM
18. Mass Effect 2
17. Resident Evil 4
16. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
15. Bloodborne
14. God of War
13. GTAV
12. The Last of Us
11. Street Fighter II
10. Pokemon Red and Blue
9. Half-Life 2
8. Halo: Combat Evolved
7. Batman: Arkham City
6. Ocarina of Time
5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
4. The Witcher III
3. Super Mario 64
2. Tetris
1. Minecraft

What do you think?

That's a very western focused and boring list.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
That list is a jumbled mess, some games are on it for historical reasons, others because they're really popular? Weird. I would think the original Super Mario would be essential on any list as well for how much that game meant to the continuation of the industry as a whole

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM over Ultimate Doom or Doom 2? Hahahaha. No.

Edit: Nvm, watched the video and it is the first Doom instead of 2016. Strange. I thought that Doom 2016 is known as DOOM and the original one as Doom or Ultimate Doom. That said, #19 is too low.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I like Asylum and Origins way more than City (with Knight being the worst in the series and the only one I not matter what just can't finish).. City has great combat/gameplay but Origins has the best story from the Arkham games and has better atmosphere than City and Arkham has the best atmosphere in the series and probably the best pacing of all of them

Halo being better than HL2? Yeah, I don't know about that one

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I mean opinion and all. Everyone got a different taste.

For me there are like 1-2 games max on that list that I would put on my top 20 list. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I expected something more controversial than a list of 20 games that would likely occupy various other top 20 games of all time lists

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Why are they so adamant about including the first game in a series in so many cases? They may have been important games, but there are better games in the series. Halo, Pokémon, etc.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The top three can go. Influencial? Sure. Best? Absolutely no way

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It's a very basic list but I don't know what people were expecting. They aren't going to put things a casual audience hasn't played, so that writes off both games that are too old and games that are too niche.

I could see a legitimate argument being made for Minecraft, to be honest. They just didn't make the right one. Think about it, though. The game is STILL around. It's still selling tons of copies every year and at this point there's how many generations of kids that grew up with it? At least two. Maybe three.
Honestly, I don't even really like it that much but every few years I find a reason to go back to it, now because of PSVR.

It's nowhere near my Top 50, but for an overall list of everyone who picked up a video game ever, it deserves to at least be in the running.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That's a list of 20 good / popular games. I don't see what's wrong with it. Any Top 20 is going to leave out dozens of the most highly rated / best-selling games.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
i'm not understanding the hate for Minecraft - is this from younger people who can't appreciate how it hit the industry like a nuke, or from older people who can't understand how fundamentally popular it was (and still is) and how many collective you're people poured into that game?

Anyway, nice to see a list that isn't just topped with the usual 90's favorites (OoT, FFVII, etc).

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
Yo New Leaf man the list, that's cool.

Oh it's New Horzions not as hype but still cool.