• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
S+ TIER
PC

S TIER
PS2
PS3
X360

A TIER
PS4
XBOX

B TIER
GC
PS1
Switch
Wii
XB1

C TIER
DC
GBA
N64

D TIER
3DS
DS
PSP
PSV
Wii U

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
These lists are always terrible and entirely US centric. Magnavox Odyssey doesn't deserve a place on any list, Atari 2600 being ahead of anything post-8 bit era is a joke (especially if you count Atari responsible for the market crash), nobody outside of the US would put the NES above the PS2 or SNES, the 360 being anywhere near the top 10 after the RROD scandal is ridiculous and the Dreamcast was far too innovative to languish below the halfway point.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In what universe is the 360 better than PS3 let alone PS4?

Edit: ALSO PS1?

OOF

I remember a lot of people were shitting on the PS3 from a great height because of the difficulties 3rd party devs had with optimization. That aside, the PS3 certainly had a superior catalogue of exclusives.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
When over half of the posts in a thread about Watchmojo lists are about how shitty whatcmojo lists are and how little they are worthy of their own threads, maybe we should evaluate this a bit more than none at all.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Tbh the top 2 should always be NES and PS1 followed by the original Gameboy in term of what they meant for the gaming world. While the NES saved gaming the PS1 made it part of the pop culture and "cool". No need to explain the gameboy.

If you want to base it only on which one had the most good games it probably would be the ps2

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
When over half of the posts in a thread about Watchmojo lists are about how shitty whatcmojo lists are and how little they are worthy of their own threads, maybe we should evaluate this a bit more than none at all.
Honestly, a couple of the other ones have been shockingly not terrible.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
What even is this list...
o6thfsf.gif

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
The Saturn was Sega's greatest console. Most Genesis games aged like milk. Other than that not a bad list.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The Switch is too high, and the PS4 should be ahead of the N64.

Xbox 360 in #5 makes sense, since I assume they are a channel based in the west. The Xbox 360 took Microsoft from being a relative nobody in the console gaming space, to pulling nearly even with Sony in hardware sales in one generation - despite not even really competing in several global markets, and despite a notorious hardware design issue. It also had the beloved 360 controller.

The OG Xbox I might put a little higher, if only because Xbox Live basically revolutionized console online features, and it launched on that console.

Jan 13, 2020
The Xbox 360 and Switch are fantastic, transformative consoles and deserve to be up there for sure. They both absolutely nailed what they set out to do.

Not sure I can agree with NES at #1, though.

Yeah this is way too US centric. Just ignore the Neo Geo, the Japanese Sega Saturn, the PAL Master System and not to mention the micros in Europe (Spekie, C64, Amiga et al)... I really loathe this America only narrative in the retro gaming discourse.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Game Boy Advance is placed too low and where is the PSP? Also, I don't know about that number one but otherwise that's a good top 10.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear, this is the list of the most beloved and influential console. Not which console have the best library.

S+ TIER
PC

S TIER
PS2
PS3
X360

A TIER
PS4
XBOX

B TIER
GC
PS1
Switch
Wii
XB1

C TIER
DC
GBA
N64

D TIER
3DS
DS
PSP
PSV
Wii U

Congrats on coming up with a list worse than Watchmojo's

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Good ol' arbitrary list wars are back! I'm sure PS4 being that low will go over really well on Era...

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Dunno why so many doubt the place of NES, it is the most important console in history after the Atari 2600.

It brought gaming back to the masses and from brink of destruction and introduced franchises like Mario Bro's, Zelda, Metroid and so on. No other console is as influential as it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
This is one of those "everybody gets a cookie" lists. The real Top 5:

5. NES (Changed gaming forever).
4. SNES (You already know what it is, one of the best to ever do it library wise).
3. PS4 (Could potentially move ahead of the PS2 if Ghost is another banger).
2. PS2 (No explanation needed).
1. PS1 (Much like the NES, ushered a change in the gaming landscape. An unknown coming out of nowhere to best both Sega and Nintendo, a ridiculous thought at the time. The start of two generations of such dominance we may never see it's like again).

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
The switch and the N64 shouldn't be in the top 10, Also the switch is definitely not better than a PS4. Crazy list.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Switch being ranked higher than the every Playstation but 2 is literally in contention for the worst video game take I've ever seen. Awful list top to bottom.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer a tight Top 10 to a sloppy Top 20.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
this thread goes on to show who was too young to understand the impact, both in terms of quantity and quality, the NES had in the mid late 80's.

.- it gave birth to series and IPs you get hyped about today (Final Fantasy, Mario, Zelda, Dragon Quest, etc)
.- Both first and third parties were thriving with neven before seen gameplay and creativity
.- it had more games than the SNES and in many cases the quality went down on it. (SMW doesn't stand a chance against the NES Mario Trilogy, for instance)
.- it had a great controller.
.- Everything was affordable (wanna buy a brand new SNES cartridge at Toy's r us? lol didn't think so)
.- AND saved the god damn industry, unlike Sony, who was just capitalizing and piggybacking off of the mismanagements of Sega and Nintendo.

the only consoles comparable to this are:

the Playstation 2 and the Nintendo DS, period.

those have to be the objective top 3, as opposed to your personal, nostalgia-based top 3.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I think Sega has been done a little dirty on that list. No Saturn, Dreamcast too low, and I know American didn't care for it but Master System always gets forgotten about.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
"I think the OG Xbox and Magnavox Odyssey deserve to make a top 20 consoles list over the Xbox One", said nobody ever.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The 360 is right where it should be. Put in way too many hours of Halo 3 and GoW1 to rank it lower. Still my favorite Xbox.