• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Predator? That game looked like shit the moment they announced it. No way in hell anyone was disappointed by that.

Came to say this lol! Predator delivered on exactly what it promised. Might not be the best or worst game for sure but I don't know how anyone could be 'disappointed' by it.
We knew what is was going to be and we got just that.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect pick for the top spot.

Although, I don't know who was actually excited for Rocket Arena or Kirby Fighters 2.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, how was Rescue Team DX a disappointment? Isn't it just the same game with a much prettier artstyle?

The only disappointment with Mystery Dungeon is that it should have sold more! But I guess releasing just a few weeks before Animal Crossing (The biggest switch game of the year) wasn't doing it any favours for selling well.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a game, its rather fun. I enjoy it. But as a remake of RE3? Its... not great. There's a number of key areas completely cut from the original game - this includes the iconic Clock Tower area, as well as the awesome park area, the city feels way smaller than the PS1 version with less to do (the whole bit where you go around city hall and to the petrol station etc. for puzzles is completely cut, the petrol station gets reduced to a "blink and you miss it" moment in a cutscene).
Then you have the final area - The Dead Factory which gets completely cut and in its place you basically get a very similar lab to what RE2 REmake did - I suppose some might say it makes sense that labs have a similar "look" to them as they are both Umbrella facilities but it completely rips out part of what made the Dead Factory so awesome - it was this run down old place that lived on the outskirts of Raccoon City that was used to basically dispose of test subjects and such. It has its own unique creepy vibe, completely torn out when you instead go to this sterile identikit Ikea lab in the remake.
Some remnants of the original design remain (the acid bath) but its just not the same.

Not to mention some key epic plot moments are completely changed for the worse - Brad's fate originally was tied to Nemesis' appearance but now its not. Granted the way they tie it into RE2 events is cute, but its just nowhere near as cool. And don't get me started on how they completely butcher the helicopter scene that's supposed to take place in the Clock Tower (fake out ending) - instead they do it about 5 minutes into the game to absolutely no effect what so ever. My favourite scene in the entire game... ruined (and as such Nemesis' other key awesome moment was ruined).

So its basically a less epic, way shorter, cut down version of RE3 that at least can fall back on looking damn good (new Carlos is easily the best thing about the game - in both looks and personality - he's way better than the cliche in the original). New Jill and the rest of the crew are all excellent now. The cutscene direction aside from the key moments they chose to change are all excellent as well. The action is great, and it is still genuinely fun to play. Its just, if your gonna remake RE3, put more effort into it please... it should have been amazing but instead it ends up as rushed and bizarrely half assed.

Oh, and they cut BARRY. Unforgiveable. They also cut the arcadey mercs style mode as well but that's clearly to include that online mode...

Pretty good write-up of what was wrong with it. If you're someone who has no attachment to the original game, the only issue you'll find is that it's short, especially compared to RE2 remake. If you have played the original then you'll know it's an extremely watered down version of it that feels like it was made by people who watched a lets play of RE3 and were like 'OK I get the gist of it, time to remake it' without actually paying attention. And with like half the budget of RE2 remake lol. I'm glad you touched up on Brad as that's a part of the game where I sometimes feel like the only who was really bothered by it lol. His death was probably the most disappointing thing to me, above Nemesis and the city (which would be 2 and 3 respectively on my list of issues).

All in all, it really feels like they just threw the game out there so they could start working on RE4 remake, and I'd bet money that if it was purely up to Capcom they'd have just skipped RE3 like they're skipping Code Veronica. As a remake it very much seems like it was done with a tight budget, tight schedule and overall reluctance to really 'remake' the original game with the respect and attention it deserved. I get people liked the game and it's not a bad game at all, but newcomers to the game really should be understanding of why so many fans of the original game were extremely disappointed by it. I don't think I've met a person who was a fan of the original who thought they did a good job remaking it. That's how badly it was handled.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
People had a bad reaction to Battletoads art style as soon as it was shown. I personally think the game is pretty good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This does no good to anyone.

How about focusing on being positive instead?
I'm sure this is a rhetorical question, but views is the answer of course. Looking at Jim Sterlings videos from last year, for example, his "Best of 2019" video has 554k views, while his "Worst of 2019" video has 928k views.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't watch the video, but were they genuinely excited about all of these games prior to their release? Because if you thought a game wasn't going to be great, and it ends up not being great, that's not really the definition of disappointment. It's meeting expectations.

On-topic, I wasn't really looking forward to any of these except for REmake 3, and even then, not being a big fan of the original reduced my hype relative to REmake and REmake 2.

Edit: Minecraft Dungeons and Battletoads were fun, and I had zero interest in them before release, so those exceeded my expectations.

I think the only game on there where I was truly meh about the final product relative to my excitement was Panzer Dragoon (Switch), but that could be mostly nostalgia for the original talking.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
RESI 3 wasnt dissapointing. certainly not that it should be in these types of lists. It should definitely cost less but it was a great game come on people.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
RE:3 was definitely my number 1, especially after breaking the canon streak of excellence from RE:2, RE7 and REV2.

I feel like most people will try calling out folks for just saying it is short or a bad remake while being a good game, but i have tons of legit design frustrations all around it.

Nemesis being nothing but a glorified set piece killed what made the original RE3 standout. Don't know wtf they were thinking with that idiotic change.

Starting with this.

In title made iconic by having one of the most mechanically complex and persistent stalkers in gaming, is left with a cutscene-based thrill ride that barely even touches the original one (or 2019 Mr. X).

RE:3 is so damn linear, they literally morphed entire areas into long corridors and the actual opening of the game is more of a stretched cutscene than anything else.

They introduced QTEs back, like, probably the most overused point of criticism in past titles and they legit thought it was a good idea.

Enemy types became boring gimmicks, the difficulties are simply horribly balanced like they didn't even tried, animations are a huge step back while feeling janky most of the times, exploration is barely present and the depth of the whole thing is non-existent as well.

Capcom had so many great ideas that were ahead of their time with the classic version, only to turn it into this.

Massive disappointment.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if RE3 Remake is more enjoyable if a player has not played the original. AKA Me.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
This does no good to anyone.

How about focusing on being positive instead?
They always get clicks from these videos so they make them yearly but to be fair, some of these picks seem like stretches. Compared to other years this gen, nothing really came to mind for me in terms of disappointments this year coming into this thread. Hopefully the trend continues.

There is certainly a lot to be positive about this year (in terms of the Gaming Industry lol not overall) and despite the headline effects of negativity, the positives might actually see more discussion this year simply because there's far more to discuss

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Most of these were not disappointing at all. They were either good games and well received or just looked awful all along.

Jul 25, 2020
Resident Evil 3 remake should have been much further up that list. I was incredibly excited for that game and it ended just as quickly as it began and with no interest in the multiplayer portion of the game it just felt so hollow after having such a brilliant opportunity.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I wonder if RE3 Remake is more enjoyable if a player has not played the original. AKA Me.

I dunno, RE3 was my intro to the series (aside from Dino Crisis, which was RE but Dinos), and I thoroughly dug it. And I freaking loved the remake. Can get why it's on the list, though.

I don't think I've met a person who was a fan of the original who thought they did a good job remaking it. That's how badly it was handled.
*Raises hand*
But then again, it's been a decade and a half since I last played it, and I am thoroughly done with fixed cameras and tank controls (last time I attempted to play REmake I gave up in a half hour).

Last edited:

haklong

Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons being on this list absolutely stinks of one of these "I'm a massive nerd who can't process what this game is because it doesn't do X, Y and Z that I wanted it to".

I play Dungeons a lot with my kids and we always have a blast. Really good fun and the core loop works just fine.

Pretty much how it comes off to me also. No one saw that trailer to this game and thought here is the next Diablo. It's a fun game that you can play with your kids and on the higher difficulty can be a blast.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good write-up of what was wrong with it. If you're someone who has no attachment to the original game, the only issue you'll find is that it's short, especially compared to RE2 remake. If you have played the original then you'll know it's an extremely watered down version of it that feels like it was made by people who watched a lets play of RE3 and were like 'OK I get the gist of it, time to remake it' without actually paying attention. And with like half the budget of RE2 remake lol. I'm glad you touched up on Brad as that's a part of the game where I sometimes feel like the only who was really bothered by it lol. His death was probably the most disappointing thing to me, above Nemesis and the city (which would be 2 and 3 respectively on my list of issues).

All in all, it really feels like they just threw the game out there so they could start working on RE4 remake, and I'd bet money that if it was purely up to Capcom they'd have just skipped RE3 like they're skipping Code Veronica. As a remake it very much seems like it was done with a tight budget, tight schedule and overall reluctance to really 'remake' the original game with the respect and attention it deserved. I get people liked the game and it's not a bad game at all, but newcomers to the game really should be understanding of why so many fans of the original game were extremely disappointed by it. I don't think I've met a person who was a fan of the original who thought they did a good job remaking it. That's how badly it was handled.
Yeah, agree. RE3 remake in isolation assuming you never touch (or look up the content of the original) will certainly seem like a good game, but its not a good remake. I don't mind the odd cut here and there (I mean, RE2 had some cuts) but the amount of (important) stuff 3 remake cut just took the piss after a certain point. I ended up playing the original and remake through in tandem and I was sorta sad just how little time the remake spends in the city, how much smaller it was, how the awesome clocktower area is just completely cut etc.

Just feels like the biggest missed opportunity as if the game released with those cut areas included, I think it'd be top 3 games released this year for me - as what is in the game is fantastic. Definitely feels like a small budget game, and definitely feels like it was almost a training exercise for that new studio before they work on a bigger project.

Thankfully I really don't care about 4's remake, as I find the current RE4 to play sublime and its on every platform known to man so its not as if its hard to play it on modern platforms, but I can't help wonder how it'll turn out.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno...

I went into some of those with such low expectations I came away actually being pleasantly surprised (eg. Avengers).

Resi 3 really was so ridiculously inferior to Resi 2 it was shocking though... so I'd have put it at the top personally.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
RE3 should be higher. I can't believe I was so disappointed by a game that is good.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
RESI 3 wasnt dissapointing. certainly not that it should be in these types of lists. It should definitely cost less but it was a great game come on people.
It can be a good game but an insanely disappointing remake. You think REmake 3 was good? Now imagine how it could have been if half the game hadn't have been cut out. It'd have been flat out amazing. Its a gigantic missed opportunity and chances of 3 ever getting revisited again are pretty much zero.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 3 is probably one for me. Even if you overlook all the cut content compared to the original, they turned the game into a linear action game and removed almost all of the exploratory survival horror elements. RE2 2019 struck the right balance and is so much better as a survival horror game on its own merits, completely disregarding how faithful they are to the original PSOne games.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers definitely failed to meet expectations imo, I tried to convince some of my friends not to buy and they regretted it a week later.

I heard the playerbase has dropped hard (on PC at least).

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario was pretty disappointing. It was decent for what it was, but "what it was" (yes, despite knowing this when I bought it) just wasn't really close to what I'd hoped it might be.

Ah well.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers wasn't THAT bad. It was a solid game, especially the campaign. Just not a home run.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Solid list. Deadly Premonition 2 is missing though. I was excited for it and even bought the first game to get caught up. I never bothered buying DP2 though given how poorly it runs. Shame

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
damn...did panzer dragoon not get a bit better with patches?

LRG still hasn't said shit about my saturn case LE
It did. The criticisms in the video do little to justify why it was disappointing. Fans of the series overwhelmingly feel satisfied. Performance on Switch was improved and an option for performance or visuals are available. Gyro was added but is terrible, but that is a small gripe. On other consoles and PC/Steam is appears to be received well with 90%+ on Steam review.

If you want to hear the criticisms in the WM video, it's around the 7min mark (I just scrubbed to watch that part to hear what they had to say). The criticisms are not in-line with what the game is or even advertised itself to be, so it's just strange overall, especially at the #3 spot.

I think this just speaks to this year being really strong for games when they have to strain this hard to find "disappointment."

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As someone who never played the original, I enjoyed RE3 a lot. Wasn't as great as RE2 but I had a really good time.