• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE3 remake should be number one. How is Avengers 1st? Most people correctly guessed that game was going to stumble, who honestly thought it was going to be a top game of 2020?

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
REmake 3 is disappointing in the context of following up the excellent REmake 2. Taken on its own terms however, I think it's a very enjoyable game that could've done with a few more months in the oven, just to slap 4 more hours or so of content in there.

In a medium where most AAA productions overstay their welcome, REmake 3 is the polar opposite. It always feels like it's in such a goddamn rush to get to the next story beat/major location. It's oddly refreshing in a way.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Who got disappointed by Rocket Arena? Better question - who had any expectations for it?

Where is XIII?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons being on this list absolutely stinks of one of these "I'm a massive nerd who can't process what this game is because it doesn't do X, Y and Z that I wanted it to".

I play Dungeons a lot with my kids and we always have a blast. Really good fun and the core loop works just fine.

I relish on PoE's passive tree and consider myself a hack n slash fanatic but I never at any moment had any idea that minecraft dungeons was aimed at me or that It wanted to be deep and please the hardcore (and still had a good time with it playing with my niece). The game marketed itself on its user friendliness. I have no idea how someone could be disappointed about something it never promised.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This does no good to anyone.

How about focusing on being positive instead?

I think discussing disappointments can be enriching as it can leads to things getting (hopefully) better instead of sweeping things that doesn't worked out under the carpet. Now that will not do anyone any good.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
what the heck..the only thing disappointing is this list and article/video.

I didn't think Minecraft Dungeons was received as disappointing. And really the only thing disappointing in Battletoads was no online co-op in the time of COVID where it is desperately needed. The game was fun and had pretty decent reviews outside of that.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This does no good to anyone.

How about focusing on being positive instead?
Agreed, being negative just for the sake of being negative is so toxic, especially in a depressing year like this.

Besides, that list is whack, most of those would be a stretch to be called disappointing.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone at all had high hopes for Battletoads, so not sure how that could disappoint anyone.

Also Minecraft Dungeons was actually much better than I expected, just a bit short and obviously just pretty much a base game they intended on expanding on going forward; as a small base game it was good IMO.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Nemesis being nothing but a glorified set piece killed what made the original RE3 standout. Don't know wtf they were thinking with that idiotic change.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The only one I've played is RE3 and while it was disappointing I still had a good time with it.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat RE3R and yeah I'm glad I only paid $20 for it. Was a worse version of RE2R in every way. More linear, more action, shorter, less replayability. And they ruined Nemesis by making most of his scenes set pieces instead of having him follow you around levels. What the hell is up with that?

Oct 27, 2017
I relish on PoE's passive tree and consider myself a hack n slash fanatic but I never at any moment had any idea that minecraft dungeons was aimed at me or that It wanted to be deep and please the hardcore (and still had a good time with it playing with my niece). The game marketed itself on its user friendliness. I have no idea how someone could be disappointed about something it never promised.

Yep.

It's fun, light and breezy. The levelling up and power ups/skills are compulsive enough to keep me going and the kids get super hype when they see an Enderman or Red Stone Golem or whatever they recognise from the main game. It's easy and fun for an age range of 7 to 35 to play together and enjoy.

Job done. That's Minecraft Dungeons.

"Expanding the lore".. fuck me. Really.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought RE3, but I already know it isn't 100% faithful to the original. It's all they had to do.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone already guessed Avengers will be bad though. Warcraft 3 Reforged should be number one.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Also what's up with the dumb as hell first person intro to RE3R? Its like a scene that would only work in a reveal trailer

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
REmake 3 is disappointing in the context of following up the excellent REmake 2. Taken on its own terms however, I think it's a very enjoyable game that could've done with a few more months in the oven, just to slap 4 more hours or so of content in there.

In a medium where most AAA productions overstay their welcome, REmake 3 is the polar opposite. It always feels like it's in such a goddamn rush to get to the next story beat/major location. It's oddly refreshing in a way.
Being short can work if the game is very replayable. This isn't though because there is no kind of randomizer, Nemesis is there just to drive a few underwhelming setpieces, and that's it.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I really liked RE3 but I got it for $20. After I beat it for the first time w/ no special items and full exploration in under four hours... I understood why many were pissed on release. I found the change of scenery way too quick.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So, Panzer Dragoon is on there because SEGA misunderstood the definition between a remake and a remaster?

LOL

also, it has a 90%+ on Steam

The Steam version came out well after the initial launch, after they had a chance to patch a lot of the biggest issues away. Also, you can get better performance on the PC if you have decent hardware than you can on the Switch version.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
The list looks accurate to me except for Minecraft Dungeons. It's a fun game, it just lacks content. I don't think that makes it disappointing, though.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Steam version came out well after the initial launch, after they had a chance to patch a lot of the biggest issues away. Also, you can get better performance on the PC if you have decent hardware than you can on the Switch version.
None of those were issues raised in the video. They said it didn't look good (which it did on Switch at launch). They also said it wasn't ambitious in recreating the world as a "remake" moniker would allude to. The game is clearly a remaster rather than a remake as most folks delineate.

they also didn't stipulate the Switch version over PC version in the video... and it appears to be using Steam/PC/PS4 (?) footage as well.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Personal disappointments for me were Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

AC:NH tried to artificially create longevity by holding content back but it hasn't come out fast enough (or with anything fresh enough) to get me to come back.

Age of Calamity is good and I've been glued to my Switch since it came out, but I think it's not as good as the first Hyrule Warriors in most ways which is always going to be a disappointment.

Disappointment of the year award goes to Nintendo I guess? Their whole 2020 was ports and the above mentioned games, plus I had two more sets of Joy Cons die.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
RE3 is fun but I can see why it disappointed.
Panzer Dragoon? Fuck outta here, it was EXACTLY what I wanted (except for not being Zwei or Saga).

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Panzer Dragoon was only really a disappointment at launch. The patch really improved things there - faster, more responsive, smoother. Granted some of the original's aesthetic is still completely missing with the new artstyle but its at least way more fun to play now.

Not quite sure I'd put Battle Toads that high either. I guess its a combo of expecting nothing from it, and genuinely liking parts of it making me think that. But at the same time the bloody awful dialogue, plot (and some of that being unskippable) alongside the awful mini games that completely ruin level progression definitely made me quit the game at one point. So bafflingly stupid to ruin a perfectly good game with that crap.

Why is RE3 disappointing? Honestly asking, I haven't pay much attention to it. I enjoyed RE2 a lot, and planning on playing RE3 after Cyberpunk.
As a game, its rather fun. I enjoy it. But as a remake of RE3? Its... not great. There's a number of key areas completely cut from the original game - this includes the iconic Clock Tower area, as well as the awesome park area, the city feels way smaller than the PS1 version with less to do (the whole bit where you go around city hall and to the petrol station etc. for puzzles is completely cut, the petrol station gets reduced to a "blink and you miss it" moment in a cutscene).
Then you have the final area - The Dead Factory which gets completely cut and in its place you basically get a very similar lab to what RE2 REmake did - I suppose some might say it makes sense that labs have a similar "look" to them as they are both Umbrella facilities but it completely rips out part of what made the Dead Factory so awesome - it was this run down old place that lived on the outskirts of Raccoon City that was used to basically dispose of test subjects and such. It has its own unique creepy vibe, completely torn out when you instead go to this sterile identikit Ikea lab in the remake.
Some remnants of the original design remain (the acid bath) but its just not the same.

Not to mention some key epic plot moments are completely changed for the worse - Brad's fate originally was tied to Nemesis' appearance but now its not. Granted the way they tie it into RE2 events is cute, but its just nowhere near as cool. And don't get me started on how they completely butcher the helicopter scene that's supposed to take place in the Clock Tower (fake out ending) - instead they do it about 5 minutes into the game to absolutely no effect what so ever. My favourite scene in the entire game... ruined (and as such Nemesis' other key awesome moment was ruined).

So its basically a less epic, way shorter, cut down version of RE3 that at least can fall back on looking damn good (new Carlos is easily the best thing about the game - in both looks and personality - he's way better than the cliche in the original). New Jill and the rest of the crew are all excellent now. The cutscene direction aside from the key moments they chose to change are all excellent as well. The action is great, and it is still genuinely fun to play. Its just, if your gonna remake RE3, put more effort into it please... it should have been amazing but instead it ends up as rushed and bizarrely half assed.

Oh, and they cut BARRY. Unforgiveable. They also cut the arcadey mercs style mode as well but that's clearly to include that online mode...

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Number 1 was fairly obvious.

The rest seem like games that few people were excited about anyway, so its hard to say they were disappointing.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Was Minecraft Dungeons really that disappointing? I thought it reviewed pretty well and I have heard nothing but good things about it for what it is

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
I was gonna make a lengthy rant filled post if Paper Mario The Origami King was on there. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
(dis)honorable mentions from the video:
- deadly premonition 2
- pokemon mystery dungeon dx
- exit the gungeon
- disintegration

DP2 should have been in the main list

yeah, this's a tough one. i loved the game for the story & characters, while at the same time i eventually struggled to actually play/finish the damn thing. i guess, for me, the good sorta made up for the bad?...

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
I recall the big issue with Minecraft Dungeons was that is was a fine dungeon crawler but didn't really make use of building mechanics.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Resident Evil 3 is actually a terrific, albeit short game. Nemesis being a set piece encounter and not a Mr. X type enemy was unexpected, but the game is still genuinely really good.

Avengers seems like a pretty obvious #1, and I say that as someone who played a lot of Avengers. If you take the biggest franchise on the planet, sell people a game that broken, and then push back all the promised support for months to try and get it to release quality, yeah, you're the most disappointing game.