• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the shittiest list I've ever seen posted here.

Yeah I'm not one to list whine usually... But this list seems straight up inaccurate? If it was "most disappointing sequels" it would make sense, but a lot of these games departed a lot from the originals which makes them anything but lazy. Yeesh.

Laziest sequels are those that use the same assets, maps etc like Crackdown 2.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Criteria: Follow up games, while not always terrible, that are blatant attempts to profit from the popularity of a IP rather than making something new and innovative.

10. Destiny 2
9. Banjo Nuts & Bolts
8. Perfect Dark Zero
7. Dragon Age 2
6. Borderlands 3
5. Every Guitar Hero & Rock Band Game
4. Far Cry Primal
3. Batman Arkham Origins
2. Resident Evil 5 & 6
1. Duke Nukem Forever

- Can see why they mentioned Destiny 2 after what Bungie/Acti said about the first one, but nah, not in the current state
- Nuts & Bolts was the first HD Banjo and just not good. Nothing with lazy
- Same with Perfect Dark Zero
- Dragon Age 2, I dunno. Never played it
- Borderlands 3 is more Borderland. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT!? Lazy? Nah, why?
- That GH flooded the market with Game after game instead of offering packs in a base game, yes that was and is shitty and could be seen as a lazy cashgrab
- Dunno about the next games but Duke Numkem Forever wasn't a lazy job but just comically bad one.

And to be honest, this list is a joke, if not one single yearly update to a Sportsgame is mentioned.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Hate this "lazy sequel" rhetoric and surprised so many people make threads out of these awful lists. Surefire way to sour my mood most of the time.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
They called Nuts and Bolts a lazy game and people come out to acknowledge that it tried to do something different (and as you and others have already mentioned, maybe tried a little too hard to differentiate itself). Praise, defending, whatever you want to call it, acknowledgement that perhaps the game isn't bad enough to warrant inclusion in this list.

You're being kind of disingenuous now. Most people here aren't saying the game isn't 'bad enough' to warrant inclusion on the list. We're saying that in context of what the list is, which is about the game being a 'lazy cash grab', it's inclusion doesn't make sense.

If this list was about games being bad then you'd have a point, but it isn't, so I don't know what you're trying to argue here.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
There is nothing fair about that assessment. "Lazy" shouldn't be used here as a synonym of "derivative", which is clearly not the same. Or is Smash Ultimate "lazy" because it reuses a ton of characters from previous installments?

And if that's the definition they are going for, how do you explain Dragon Age II? Far Cry Primal? RE5/6? Those games moved furter away from their predecessors and introduced novel features to their respective franchises. They may not be the best games ever, or even in their series, but calling them "lazy" is... well, there's a reason why lazy dev rhetoric is banned here.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I do not agree with this list on almost everything.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
No? It seems that was the one where they did the least in terms of new features or characters
Nah, SoulCalibur 3 introduced character creation, had Chronicles of the Sword, etc. 5 is probably where they did the least, but imo every SoulCalibur game has been relatively content and feature rich.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the amount of time put into Duke Nukem Forever, I can't agree that it's lazy. It's just bad... Just like the rest of the list. It's a weird list...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
How in the world did they not include a SINGLE Madden or FIFA or some other yearly sports title, especially those "Legacy Edition" titles?

GH & RB were oversaturated at one point, yeah, but "lazy"? You were basically buying a new soundtrack, what else did you want them to change? Hell, they DID try changing it up with that Guitar Hero that had the new controller.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE6 was the opposite of lazy.

It was an incredible game, and a mediocre game and a game that was good in some spots and poor in others and a really shit game and a game that was a let down.

ALL IN THE SAME PACKAGE.

A huge fucking mess, sure. But the amount of effort that went in to creating that shitshow was staggering.

The real laziness is not making this a top 100. Ubisoft alone could fill that out without breaking a sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.